Did Men Give Women Menopause?

AdriHead 2013/06/17 22:00:00
Men: it's all your fault. According to a new scientific hypothesis, women can legitimately blame men for experiencing menopause after a certain age. And it has to do with the fact that men have a collective preference for younger women.

In the study, “Mate Choice and the Origin of Menopause,” which was recently published in the journal PLOS Computational Biology, researchers hypothesize that a lack of reproduction among older women has led to menopause, over the course of thousands of years. In other words, menopause is an accidental result of evolution and natural selection.

“It’s a very simple theory. What it does is it demystifies menopause. ... It becomes a simple age-related disease, if you can call it that,” researcher Rama Singh said to CTV News in Canada. Do you think men are to blame for giving older women menopause? Or do you think it's just another ridiculous theory?

SHINE.YAHOO.COM reports:
Next time you wake up in a pool of sweat—either from a hot flash or a dream about the hot flash (and chin hairs and memory lapses and vaginal dryness) you’re sure to suffer through eventually—don’t curse your womanhood. Curse men. And not just for the fun of it. You’d actually be justified in blaming them completely, according to a new scientific hypothesis that puts the onus of menopause squarely on men’s collective preference for younger mates.
completely scientific hypothesis onus menopause squarely mens collective younger mates

Read More: http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/guys-gave-us...

• Lee Kinanus 2013/06/18 14:24:08
    No, that's ridiculous
    Lee Kinanus
    +7
    Rama Singh is nuts, First off, what were the life expectancies of women a thousand years ago? how about 100 years ago (for women it was around 51yrs btw) ...Reproduction later in life would not be beneficial for the species. How about the fact that people are living longer and reproduction at a later age becomes unnecessary so biologically as women age (as do the eggs) the body prevents chromosomal inconsistencies by undergoing menopause.....

• dave.ja... mama se... 2013/06/18 21:02:44
    dave.jameson.33
    +1
    Wow! Keep drinking the kool-aid...
  • mama se... dave.ja... 2013/06/19 05:40:12
    mama sew,gung ho
    Darlin your a silhouette of a duck, I'm a real one! God bless your little duck billed heart! LOL
  • Joe 2013/06/18 03:07:26
    No, that's ridiculous
    Joe
    +4
    Are you kidding. you think that we are smart enough. I had to look up what menopause was the dictionary before I could answer. Lol. Ha ha besides all that I would never want to do anything Harmful to my favorite thing on earth. A lot of girls in bikinis
  • dave.ja... Joe 2013/06/18 05:14:35
    dave.jameson.33
    +1
    Thing? The NOW Nagzis will just love That!
  • Joe dave.ja... 2013/06/18 08:11:00
    Joe
    +3
    I was trying to think of a different word but nothing worked lol
  • twocrows Joe 2013/06/18 21:23:34
    twocrows
    +1
    people?
    now there's a novel idea.
  • Joe twocrows 2013/06/19 04:00:59
    Joe
    Naa but Good job on the rudeness have a good night
  • doc moto 2013/06/18 02:51:25
    Yes, it makes sense
    doc moto
    MAKES JUST AS MUCH PENNIES AS HE SAYS HERE!

IF YOU KNOW WHAT SHE SAID, SPILL IT OR SPELL IT OUT, LOUD AND SMEAR!
  • MrBubblegum 2013/06/18 02:49:20
    No, that's ridiculous
    MrBubblegum
    that's like asking, did women give men herpes, yes they always do
  • twocrows 2013/06/18 02:46:08 (edited)
    No, that's ridiculous
    twocrows
    +2
    Elaine Morgan, author of "The Descent of Woman" and "Scars of Evolution" among other books, came up with a far more logical theory, imnsho:
    Childbirth is an extremely hazardous procedure. Women die as a result. Lots of them. And the more babies they have, the more risk they run.
    Moreover, elders are necessary in a species that has a very long maturation process for its young.

Younger adults are necessary for hunting and foraging if the tribe is going to make it through the cold months up north or the winter droughts in the African deserts. Enter the older adults who are too infirm to hunt and gather but are a dab hand at bringing up the next generation.

Also enter the folks who have lived long enough to know that the river has flooded before and it stopped about HERE each time it did so. So you likely only need to retreat about so far in order to be safe.
    Elders are good for knowing what happened last time some calamity came along and how best to avert it or recover from it.

And the females among those elders are likely to survive longer if they quit having babies by a certain age. Sure, they NEED to procreate for a while in order for the species to survive as a whole. But THEY are more likely to survive if they stop doing it within a reasonable amount of time.
    Meanwhil...

Meanwhile, the males didn't need to evolve that particular stopwatch in order to reach old age - - so they didn't.
    ~~~
    As Elaine herself said when explaining women's breasts [she attributed their development to the baby - not the baby's daddy] "It behooves us to look at the primary beneficiary of an evolutionary development rather than looking at that beneficiary's father's [or husband's] occupation" [or, in this case, preoccupation.]

Most likely, women developed menopause to benefit themselves. Not because they went off in a sulk because the menfolk had roving eyes.
  • monkeyking908 2013/06/18 02:37:04 (edited)
    No, that's ridiculous
    monkeyking908
    back then most women did not live to their 40s that fact in its self proves this to be a bunch of BS. also it is proven old people have more of a sex drive then teenagers
  • twocrows monkeyk... 2013/06/18 21:36:59
    twocrows
    actually, we lived a fairly longer period during the hunter/gatherer phase than we did after we started farming. at that point in our history, our collective lifespans dropped dramatically. and, of course, menopause was well established by then.

scientists don't know why lives were shorter but one theory is that, collectively, we just weren't very good at it - as we usually aren't so hot at a new skill on the personal level. we'd been hunting and gathering for a long, long time and perfected it. but when we started farming [even though we supplemented the grain crops with other foods] our nutrition levels likely dropped for some time while we got the hang of it.

and THEN we developed hierarchies. and the powerful came along and took a fair amount of what we'd managed to grow, hunt, gather and put aside for winter - - and nutrition levels dropped even further.

as I say - they don't KNOW what all the reasons may have been but the fact that lives were considerably shorter has been established.
  • monkeyk... twocrows 2013/06/18 22:01:00
    monkeyking908
    that does not change the fact only a few humans live a long life back then or the fact lots of women died during child birth. also you cant say they lived safe life styles. out of the many clans that lived to become farmers you have to think of how many got wiped out so yes they could have lived to be in there 70 but most of the time they did not
  • me twocrows 2013/06/18 22:29:24
    me
    +1
    "and THEN we developed hierarchies. and the powerful came along and took a fair amount of what we'd managed to grow, hunt, gather and put aside for winter - - and nutrition levels dropped even further"

Sort of like today.................
  • Red Branch 2013/06/18 02:31:36
    No, that's ridiculous
    Red Branch
    No Way
  • debhead 2013/06/18 02:27:36
    No, that's ridiculous
    debhead
    How ridiculous! My husband is still into me. The body is only fit to reproduce for so long then it stops and the parts don't work anymore. Its part of the natural aging process. Amazing isn't it? Could you imagine a 70 year or older woman giving birth?
  • Mark In Irvine 2013/06/18 02:25:33
    Yes, it makes sense
    Mark In Irvine
    +1
    Apparently over evolutionary time, we did!! BOYS WIN!!
  • thomas dobias 2013/06/18 02:19:30
    No, that's ridiculous
    thomas dobias
    one as a man understand menopause thats a subject us men dont have
    any knollage about
  • TrudyGirl 2013/06/18 02:07:42
    Yes, it makes sense
    TrudyGirl
    Actually it does not sound too far off..god only knows they have a fixation on the 20 younger crowd. They need to wake up and realize that there is quality in age. Their problem not mine. Menopause was one of the greatest thing I ever went through. I celebrated every moment of getting past a really nasty part of aging. I am delighted to be out of the child bearing place. So they did me a favor!
  • Surly Curmudgen 2013/06/18 02:02:00
    No, that's ridiculous
    Surly Curmudgen
    Women do give men a shorter life span.
  • Deborah... Surly C... 2013/06/18 02:28:13
    Deborah McGrath
    +3
    Actually my comical friend (take my wife please) married men live longer than single men
    and don't quote me on this but I remember hearing sometime ago that single women
    live longer than married women. Men benefit emotionally, domestically and physically
    from marriage, women usually benefit financially though a lot end up with kids and no
    financial support from the father. Men give up their money and often freedom because
    the institution is socially designed and traditionaly structured to benefit them.
  • Surly C... Deborah... 2013/06/18 09:15:32
    Surly Curmudgen
    LOL Yes I was trying to amuse. Although most men's obituaries have "survived by his wife" in them.
  • Deborah... Surly C... 2013/06/18 18:00:41
    Deborah McGrath
    Women tend to outlive men. When a man of your generation is widowed it can be
    far more devastating than it is for his female counterparts. Women have more of an
    emotional support system due to being more social and the nature of female
    friendships. Men talk about things(sports cars etc.) women talk about their emotions.
    Men often rely soley on their wives for emotional support. Some men are also
    unable to perform common domestic tasks like doing a load of laundry or making a
    simple meal. What society deems menial and takes for granted is essential to
    basic living as well as a skill and real work which in many ways (women are
    entitled to maritial assets because of their status as a spouse) is taken for granted
    and not seen as deserving compensation in its own right by society.
  • Surly C... Deborah... 2013/06/18 18:11:17
    Surly Curmudgen
    And I find myself caring for an invalid ex-wife who never was capable of preparing a simple meal or doing the laundry. LOL role reversal. Our children always hoped I would get home in time to cook as she could not get beyond open can, heat, serve.
  • Deborah... Surly C... 2013/06/18 19:11:25
    Deborah McGrath
    I'm very sorry to hear that. It must be difficult and stressful in many ways.
    I hope you can access whatever help and support you can find be it family,
    friends, or private and public resources that can assist you. Cooking is an
    inate talent that some of us have and some of us don't . My Dad also assumed
    most of the domestic responsibility because my mother is lazy a bully passive
    aggressive and very abusive. As I pointed out she probably had the same
    rights to maritial assets by virtue of being your spouse regardless of what
    adds up to hundreds of thousands of hours of work over a 10 or 20 year
    marriage. Women love their families, we'd do it for free and we do.
  • me Deborah... 2013/06/18 22:53:37 (edited)
    me
    You won't like me then. For years, I have made breakfast for my wife and kids while the kids were at home. I do my own laundry, pick up and was dishes, take out garbage, even iron clothes until we bought permanent press. I had to do it when I was single so things aren't much different. I didn't get married to get a slave. In fact, she became a division administrator and made half again as much as I.... My ego never ran in how much power I had over anyone or how much they are worth. It is what a person is and how they act that is important, and for me, she is an angel.....
  • Deborah... me 2013/06/19 00:54:48
    Deborah McGrath
    +1
    I love you ! You are the exception to the rule and have real respect for women
    as people. There are men who make a lot of money and women who make
    beautiful homes who are toxic and abusive and profoundly damaging to the
    well being of their famlies. It sucks being female in the work world. Less money
    more work less respect and a different subtle unspoken set of rules(that are
    inherently disempowering) to play by. Marriage relationship experts generally
    say absent power struggles and with the presense of mutual respect and trust
    the best division of labor is each partner doing what they're good at and like
    to do. If he can cook and likes it there you go. If she's good with managing
    the money she's(respectfully) in charge of that. Your wife is a lucky woman !
  • me Deborah... 2013/06/18 22:45:07
    me
    Actually, that single woman living longer is a widow that put some man into his grave.....

One has to be careful when reading statistics...they are often skewed. For an example, heart attacks. Today, one can be 110/120 years old and die of what used to be called natural death or old age. Since most elderly that used to fall in those categories will expire from a heart attack, they will listed in that column with no mention of old age and thus, another heart attack has happened. The CDC and the various heart institutes use this slanted data for their own agenda which many times will include a call for more grant money to fight the crisis that thy themselves have built using skewed data.
  • Deborah... me 2013/06/19 01:02:03
    Deborah McGrath
    I hear you. I was a little suspect of that stat because though marriage in its most
    traditionally structured form is designed to benefit men (actually working and the
    brunt of domestic responsibility is the worst deal of all which a lot of women have
    now) women still benefit from companionship and love provided it's not abusive.
    That's just a basic human need.
  • Farbiger 2013/06/18 01:57:23
    No, that's ridiculous
    Farbiger
    Then the same could be said with women giving men andropause.
  • CORNEATER 2013/06/18 01:56:14
    No, that's ridiculous
    CORNEATER
    Why is that hot girl kissing that old man?
  • ARP 2013/06/18 01:47:08
    No, that's ridiculous
    ARP
    It's far more likely that it happens because of human longevity.
  • Anthony Clay 2013/06/18 01:46:50
    No, that's ridiculous
    Anthony Clay
    i have not the patience or inclination for younger women
  • Bibliophilic 2013/06/18 01:43:10
    No, that's ridiculous
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    It would be physically disastrous for a woman over a certain age to give birth, hence why menopause exists.
  • streetd... Bibliop... 2013/06/20 13:55:05
    streetdella
    Some women should never bear or bare children at any age due to the IQ level of the sperm donor.......both eggs and sperm should be tested in advance for intelligence before alcohol and drugs are added !
  • Colbert 2013/06/18 01:37:53
    Yes, it makes sense
    Colbert
    +2
    Yet they say we never gave them anything.
  • Ross 2013/06/18 01:14:27 (edited)
    Yes, it makes sense
    Ross
    Of course. It makes perfect sense, in evolutionary theory. That HAS TO BE the explanation. And--it's already peer reviewed, LOL!
  • Old Salt 2013/06/18 01:13:01
  • kdalexander 2013/06/18 01:07:04
    No, that's ridiculous
    kdalexander
    Oh brother.
  • Oly*Nicole 2013/06/18 01:00:01
    No, that's ridiculous
    Oly*Nicole
    +3
    No like periods and childbirth, God gave women menopause. Men didn't make our bodies God did.

2014/12/19 07:21:06