Did Magazine Go Too Far With Michelle Obama Cover?

AdriHead 2012/08/30 23:00:00
These days, publications will do just about anything to be controversial and get more eyeballs and press coverage. And this time, a magazine called Fuera de Serie went a little politically incorrect. On the August cover of its publication, the first lady's face is superimposed on a famous painting that depicts a slave in a simple white headdress and gown, with a breast exposed. Did the magazine go too far?

NYDAILYNEWS.COM reports:
A Spanish magazine this month depicts Michelle Obama as a 19th Century French slave — a controversial move that has left critics wondering if the image choice was more provocative than political.
19th century french slave controversial critics image choice provocative political

Read More: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/michelle-...

• JohnT 2012/08/30 23:37:27 (edited)
    JohnT
    +55
    Really makes me a bit sad that so much has been put in print that is distasteful regarding this family. I have seen quite a few Presidents and their families come and go but can truthfully say since the dawn of the computer age there was not the hate and anger spewed that we have seen against President Bush and Obama. These gentlemen have been slammed. I agree neither has been a great leader but they both have tried and did their best. For that they have received more garbage on the net than we have heard or seen before. Tells us all the direction we are headed.

• actionjksn Farbiger 2012/09/05 04:35:21
    actionjksn
    +1
    OK you got me. I fixed it.
  • Night71 Pat 2012/09/04 07:14:17
  • actionjksn Night71 2012/09/04 00:08:17
    actionjksn
    Some of us like funny.
  • ronbo 2012/09/03 17:07:13
    ronbo
    +1
    It was over the top for sure. On the other hand ,from a guy,s point of view, it had a pleasant element to it. Ok I,ll shut up.
  • GrumpyCat 2012/09/03 16:36:02
    GrumpyCat
    +3
    Think about if that was you on the cover. I would feel horribly embarrassed if someone photoshopped me into a lewd and racist picture. I hope Mrs. Obama never has to see this.
  • lauren ... GrumpyCat 2012/09/04 03:14:16
    lauren dull
    Looks like Art to me.
  • Rick 2012/09/03 15:35:50
    Rick
    +1
    What a lying self centered Biotch!
  • Morgan Rick 2012/09/03 15:41:34
    Morgan
    +6
    She didn't do it. They just photoshopped her head onto a painting
  • Rick Morgan 2012/09/03 15:46:08
    Rick
    +2
    Dosen't matter to me. my opinion of her is still the same!
  • Morgan Rick 2012/09/03 15:47:34
  • no1ymfan 2012/09/03 15:07:24
    no1ymfan
    +6
    I have no clue what they're actually saying, but the picture is ridiculous. I wish people had more respect for each other. To display a woman as a SLAVE wearing indecent clothing is not right.
  • Nina Wolda 2012/09/03 14:48:10
    Nina Wolda
    It's like Maralyn Monroe style but then of somebody you expect a lot of XD
  • David 2012/09/03 14:45:11
    David
    +1
    People are always doing or saying things that are not politically correct. Particularly in the States. Whether you like it or not, what can you do?
  • actionjksn David 2012/09/04 00:14:46
    actionjksn
    +1
    "politically correct." As in watch what you think and say? Chairman Mao would be so proud of you.
  • David actionjksn 2012/09/05 14:50:54
    David
    Sigh...silly.
  • Realistic 2012/09/03 12:39:28
    Realistic
    +5
    Racists are cowardly people who hide behind pictures and anonymous names to spew their hatred and bigotry. The fact that this magazine depicts the First Lady as a slave means the powers behind the magazine believe Mrs. Obama is worthy to be a slave and a not a First Lady. Racists who believe slavery is where Black people belong should themselves be enslaved. Only a lazy, ignorant, trashy person believes slavery is ideal for another human being. I feel if you believe in stealing someone else's freedom and liberties, then you should be the subject of your own beliefs. Earth is big enough to freely house all human beings. To people who deplore the fact that the First Family is Black and support this racist magazine cover, I say: "Who cares, get over your bigot selves, and when you feel that you just can't take it anymore find a bridge or a cliff to end your dark disgust!"
  • David Realistic 2012/09/12 15:18:13
    David
    Well said
  • wildcat 2012/09/03 11:37:49
    wildcat
  • Jon Bergen 2012/09/03 09:05:25
    Jon Bergen
    +17
    I like these images better, as they're more respectful and capture her generosity of spirit. Perhaps the coolest First Lady ever.

images respectful capture generosity spirit coolest lady

An elegant, classy lady who gives willingly of her time and energy, passionate about making her country a better place. There's no need to demean her by characterizing her as a slave, especially when her message is one of liberation.
  • Bec. Jon Bergen 2012/09/03 16:46:37
    Bec.
    +5
    clap gif
    Yes! Love this comment.
  • Jon Bergen Bec. 2012/09/06 10:01:14
    Jon Bergen
    +2
    You are very kind and I appreciate your response, and those of JS & Pat below, very much.

And now, though so many of us have already had the privilege of seeing the First Lady shine two days ago the way she does below, here she is again. Over half a million have watched just this version of her speech alone.

Methinks she received applause, as enthusiastic as Orson's above, by many, many people. We are lucky to have her for our First Lady.
  • JS Jon Bergen 2012/09/03 21:43:50
    JS
    +3
    Amazing comment!!
  • Pat Jon Bergen 2012/09/03 22:58:03
    +1
    Very nice comments. Thank you.
  • David Jon Bergen 2012/09/12 15:23:23
    David
    +1
    Not to mention fantastically intelligent and so articulate. I absolutely love to see the two of them do what they do in spite of the nastiness and obvious bigotry that surrounds them.
  • Jon Bergen David 2012/09/13 04:53:01 (edited)
    Jon Bergen
    +1
    What a great point you make. Isn't it ironic that the entitled, wealthy, WASP family that provided two of our most recent Presidents is represented by such horrible, inarticulate, not terribly bright people? Jeb and W spring to mind right away, of course, but there are many, many others in that dynastic ruling house alone. (Will allow a qualified exception in Bush, Sr's case, as some of that Yale education rubbed off on him, even if at the end of the day he is still a CIA thug whose greatest accomplishments are his involvement in gun-running, drug-running, terrorist acts, war-mongering and assassinations.)

It's my belief that people as decent and classy as the Obamas only became electable in the U.S. BECAUSE of the previous gross excesses of the above-mentioned boorish aristocratic family.

Notice the eagles on that crest? For now, let's just call that 'coincidence.'

Sorry, have trouble holding back on this subject. Not a fan of that family, not at all.

The Obamas, already very fine people, become saints and angels compared to their neoconservative predecessors.

cia thug accomplishments involvement gun-running drug-running terrorist acts war-mongering assassinations

gross excesses above-mentioned boorish aristocratic family notice eagles crest coincidence

fan family obamas fine people saints angels compared neoconservative predecessors
  • David Jon Bergen 2012/09/13 13:20:01
    David
    +1
    No apology necessary. I agree...
  • Pinball Wizard 2012/09/03 07:57:55
    Pinball Wizard
    +6
    The First Lady is hot but, the cover is insulting.
  • troyboy Pinball... 2012/09/03 17:34:36
  • JS troyboy 2012/09/03 21:43:35
    JS
    +2
    Keep your rude comments about this beautiful woman to yourself.
  • troyboy JS 2012/09/03 21:59:43
    troyboy
    +4
    Uh, no. I won't. Here s What I Think Of Your Last Comment
  • Pat troyboy 2012/09/03 22:58:50
    +3
    You are an ignorant pig.
  • JS troyboy 2012/09/04 04:38:54
    JS
    Classy.
  • actionjksn troyboy 2012/09/04 00:18:19
    actionjksn
    +2
    She's really not ugly, it's just that she's so ugly inside that it distorts your view of her physically.
  • Red actionjksn 2012/09/04 04:33:10
  • actionjksn Red 2012/09/04 06:03:26
    actionjksn
    +1
    I like you inside and out. And those full sexy lips,OH yes!!!
  • lauren ... troyboy 2012/09/04 03:17:17
    lauren dull
    Would not put it that way, but she is no prize. But how many of those Dem. women are?
  • jennie 2012/09/03 06:09:52 (edited)
    jennie
    +6
    They degraded America's First Lady and all women. You just know sexist, racist men probably thought of this.
  • Patriot Lady 2012/09/03 05:37:30
    Patriot Lady
    +7
    I can't stand the Obamas but the cover is sooooo not ok.
  • President Camacho 2012/09/03 03:53:51
    President Camacho
    Its french
  • Deputy Chief 2012/09/03 03:20:42
    Deputy Chief
    +2
    She is ugly and the magazine cover is in poor taste.

2014/08/22 13:55:34