Diaspora Turns Itself Over to the Community: Will Risk Kill the Social Experiment?

Fef 2012/08/29 22:27:39
Related Topics: 2012, Social Experiment, Kill
DisaporaProject.org describes itself as: "Diaspora* is a fun and creative community that puts you in control." The website's homepage has the slogan "Social freedom," which partly explains its risk to allow the community to takeover the development of the social networks' platform. Community members will add code, features, moderate, etc...

MEDIAPOST.COM reports: Of course, Diaspora remains far smaller than Facebook, in terms of users, but that can always change -- and it just may, if developers feel they have more creative freedom with the site’s functionality.

That’s the idea behind handing the keys over to the community itself. In an email to users, Danel Grippi and Maxwell Salzberg wrote: “As a Free Software social project, we have an obligation to take this project further, for the good of the community that revolves around it. Putting the decisions for the project’s future in the hands of the community is one of the highest benefits of any FOSS project, and we’d like to bring this benefit to our users and developers.”

Read More: http://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/1817...

• cynsity 2012/08/30 02:22:45
    Diaspora Project??
    cynsity
    +2
    never heard of it but it seems to me it will end like most "free society" projects... with those who have more ability, stronger persanns, and ability being the ones who have teh most say in the society... while those who were not as talented, or as willing to be involved and work as hard will begin to compain and want someone to come in and tear down what has been built.

Human nature always works against human society
    Community Will Kill Diaspora Project
    human nature will take over
    Diaspora Project Will Thrive
    It is a real experiment in full freedom of choice of its membership. It will survive as long as the membership has the will to do so.
    Diaspora Project??
    +1
    I must admit ..
    that my Blindness is more of a challenge in following programming logic ..
    (I Can NOT 'see' what is up and down .. thus .. my ability to find the errors (or particular points) is far slower than before)

Intriguing idea ..
    one that opens up wide to those with mal-intents ..
    I'll stay away from anything that can be twisted in a bad way ..
  • The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk 2012/08/29 22:32:48
    Diaspora Project??
    The Elitist Libtard SodaJerk
    +2
    This is the first I'm hearing of it, I must check that out.

2014/04/25 07:57:12