Death by 'spontaneous combustion': fact or fable?

Daryl 2011/09/24 08:02:30
Spontaneous combustion is fact
Spontaneous combustion is a fable

"Michael Faherty, 76, was found lying face down near an open fire in his living room in Galway, Ireland.

Apart from his body, investigators could find no other damage in the house.

Dr Kieran McLoughlin, the West Galway coroner, said it was the first time in his 25 year career that he had returned a spontaneous combustion verdict, which is believed to be the first in Ireland."

"Spontaneous combustion occurs when an object – in this case a human – bursts into flame from an internal chemical reaction, apparently without being ignited by an external heat source.

In most cases the victim is almost completely consumed, usually inside their home, while little to no damage is recorded to the property itself."

Read More: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/i...

• Fenabarb 2011/09/24 15:25:32 (edited)
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    Fenabarb
    +6
    How the hell in this day and age you can believe that myth.

Someone die's usually of old age often in small place (small flat or one room apartment) in front of a heater, all the doors are closed, drafts are blocked because their old and feel the cold. They catch on fire and start to burn, the oxygen in soon depleted and they smoulder creating tremendous heat but little or no flame and the body burns just like a candle. Once body water is evaporated away what's left is fats and under these high temperature conditions we burn, often just leaving hands and feet because all the oxygen has been use up. When high heat is generated but no flame - plastics will distort and if they had been reading a paper that may not have caught fire.
    Many documented cases and some have been outdoors but it takes the right conditions. - do your research and don't be gullible

• blindfaith 2011/10/21 18:12:33
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    blindfaith
    +1
    I'm on the fence with this one, we do have some Methane gas in our bodies, so i don't know, maybe.
  • D'eath 2011/10/21 17:59:57 (edited)
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    D'eath
    +2
    Experiments conducted on dead pigs have proved that when dead and kept at room temperature can combust spotaneously.

The body fat acts like the fat of a candle and when the body reaches a certain temperature clothing acts as a lit wick, hence a very slow burn.

People do not just suddenly burst into flame though.
  • redneck 2011/10/21 17:54:25
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    redneck
    +1
    come on now ,fable we have no flameable fuel in us cept our farts and if you still light them up it's your fault you will get burned trust me I know this to be true !!!!
  • Matt 2011/10/01 16:25:11
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    Matt
    +1
    It sounds like poor Mr. Faherty had too much Irish whiskey and made a fuel of himself !

ash hole
  • Simi Dave 2011/09/29 17:47:12
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    Simi Dave
    +1
    Never been proven, and if anything, has been DISproven by scores of people, even the "Mythbusters"!
  • LittleMistersMom 2011/09/28 18:22:21
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    LittleMistersMom
    +1
    I don't think it's actually possible. Why is it every time I read one of these, it was near a fire place, and it ALWAYS happens in their homes, never out in public or at a restaurant or anything. Guess I'm still a skeptic.
  • guitarplayer2571 2011/09/27 22:47:08
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    guitarplayer2571
    +1
    only firestarter (drew barrymore) or that chick on hellboy can do it! :o)
  • wow-really 2011/09/27 20:18:57
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    wow-really
    +1
    Freaky things happen all the time of which there is no immediate or even logical explanation for.
    Anything is possible...
    The thought that a human body can turn to ash, but leave everything around it unscathed....Nothing is burnt or even chard by the heat? The heat necessary to turn a human body to ash is in the thousands of degrees, yet they don't burn the rest of the place down?

That's ridiculously freaky to say the least.

I have yet to hear a so-called logical explanation for this happening that makes sense...Especially when the person survives such an ordeal, and is able to give a first person account about how it feels to be burnt from the inside out, or bursting into flames...

Can you say FREAKY!
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    +1
    Body fat and chemical reactions taking place in the body, have proven to be a source. I saw a demonstration on TV, providing evidence to considering it the reason. Very Interesting.....
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    +1
    There was an old man, and in his house they found him charred up, and no one knew what caused him to burn up like the way he did.
  • Aksana 2011/09/26 16:38:20
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    Aksana
    +1
    No this is fable
  • doodle BN-0 2011/09/26 00:43:42
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    doodle BN-0
    +1
    There's no "on the fence" option? I don't really know what to think. Currently, it's a myth, neither proven completely, nor disproven completely. Hopefully we can find something out, though.
  • HBO 2011/09/25 23:59:02
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    HBO
    +1
    There have been cases, so it happens.It would be very interesting to find out what conditions have to occur inside the body for that to happen. It's got to be a very unpleasant way to go.
  • RogerCoppock 2011/09/25 22:42:41
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    RogerCoppock
    +2
    "Spontaneous combustion" is a grade school science fact. Check any good general science book.

HOWEVER, "Spontaneous Human Combustion," where a living human being suddenly catches fire, is an urban legend, a total myth.
  • 81sp 2011/09/25 16:14:51
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    81sp
    +1
    the urantia book talks about people that literaly go poof and than are transported (poor choice of words) to the first mansion world. that is what others are probably seeing, they simply do not understand the process. niether do the rest of us.
  • Michael 2011/09/25 14:11:00
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    Michael
    +1
    That and global warming!We learned our 60's physics class that things earlier humans couldn't see happen they called "spontaneous", Because some people can't see far enough back to see the patterns of nature, they call spoils of man kinds existence,
  • bettyboop 2011/09/25 13:41:59
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    bettyboop
    +1
    I don't think it is real. I think it is much like big foot or the loch ness monster....a fable told over and over when no one can figure out what they have seen.
  • ruthannhausman 2011/09/25 08:37:10
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    ruthannhausman
    +1
    What the heck, I checked fact because nothing surprises me anymore. But I really don't know. I haven't had the benefit of all of the different research conclusions. It's a fascinating subject, though.
  • kevin 2011/09/25 08:08:01
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    kevin
    +2
    i don't see how that is possible
    sponatneous combustion
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2011/09/25 06:24:48
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    I have heard about it all my 64 years. What causes it they still don't know.
    Maybe aliens LOL
    heard 64 years aliens lol
  • James 2011/09/25 05:40:44
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    James
    +1
    Like it or not, it's a fact.
  • Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA 2011/09/25 05:24:02
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    Lawnmowerman~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    It's not common, but it happens.
  • Kurbdog 2011/09/25 04:56:14
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    Kurbdog
    +1
    Just like "ghosts" a load of CRAP!
  • Jackie 2011/09/25 03:31:44
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    Jackie
    +1
    Seen many stories and crazy photos. Don't know what to think. Some say not. But pictures of people burnt up with their feet or other parts untouched. And people who caught fire in front of others you have to wonder.
  • Nan 2011/09/25 03:05:46
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    Nan
    +1
    Yes, it's a known fact it can happen.
  • Irish little 2011/09/25 03:00:13
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    Irish little
    +1
    If you know anything about chemistry, you would know that it is not a fable.
  • Mechelle Irish l... 2011/09/25 23:24:39
    Mechelle
    +1
    Please show your supporting evidence. I am assuming you know your "chemistry"?
  • PilarHernandez 2011/09/25 02:29:43 (edited)
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    PilarHernandez
    +1
    That sounds more like a scene from the game Parasite Eve, or from H.G. Wells' War Of The Worlds.
  • Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2011/09/25 02:11:26
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    Jana ♥ ♥ ♥
    +1
    I watch a show of a woman this happened to .She did not die but did start smoking from the back of her shoulders it was creepy,there have been people die from this.The medical people are not sure what causes it but I think its to do with chemicals in your body reacting in some way.Have you ever felt like your blood is boiling ? well that could be the
    beginning of spontaneous combustion,if it was to go further than blood boiling, just saying. spontaneous combustion
  • Mechelle Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2011/09/25 23:26:38
    Mechelle
    +1
    I have felt like my blood was boiling. It is called "hot flashes". I feel like I'm cooking from the inside out.
  • Deb Jana ♥ ♥ ♥ 2011/09/26 12:11:41
    Deb
    +1
    If I remember correctly....she was smoking, had some type of illness....and this pic was taken after the paramedics took away the torso, remembered the pic cuz it creeped me out at the time.. I was like 10
  • gidianedwards97 2011/09/25 00:10:07
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    gidianedwards97
    +1
    yes it can happen.
  • SK-pro impeachment 2011/09/24 23:56:39
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    SK-pro impeachment
    +1
    It's caca. it's a hoax, folks. I'm a poet and i know it.
  • themadhare ~IJM 2011/09/24 23:24:58
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    themadhare ~IJM
    +1
    there was a case in a city nearby to me in the mid '70's. It was the case that finally convinced experts that it really happens
  • truthman 2011/09/24 21:51:55
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    truthman
    +1
    There has been many documented facts about this.
  • Jrogers 2011/09/24 21:01:10
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    Jrogers
    +1
    Could be fact - the body does have a lot of fat on it - you never know
  • CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA 2011/09/24 20:59:22
    Spontaneous combustion is fact
    CMackley ~POTL~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    I'm still waiting for Al Gore to go up in flames from all his hot air.
  • Jensola 2011/09/24 20:24:59
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    Jensola
    +1
    It scares the sh*t out of me, so I'm HOPING it's a fable!!!
  • Marcus Antonius 2011/09/24 19:38:26
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    Marcus Antonius
    +2
    If spontaneous combustion is a fact, superman is too. Lol!!!!
  • Ron 2011/09/24 19:24:03
    Spontaneous combustion is a fable
    Ron
    +1
    For 70 years I have thought of it as a fable, but I am open for some proof. I have not seen it in this blog! I have seen sparks from a fireplace thrown out over 10 feet so that make it a possible source of the fire.

2014/09/18 07:43:45