Day Care Fight Club: Delaware day care workers accused of running toddler fight club. Are children better off raised at home or by a Day care?

CAPISCE 2013/02/17 15:08:22
Home
Day Care
Three employees from the Hands of Our Future Daycare in Dover, Delaware were arrested after a cell phone video showed employees watching and encouraging two 3-year-olds fight each other.

Tiana Harris, 19, Lisa Parker, 47, and Estefania Myers, 21, were charged with Assault, Endangering the Welfare of a Child, Reckless Endangering and Conspiracy for the incident, which occurred in March of 2012 and was captured on cell phone video.

In the video, police say one child can be heard crying and yelling, ‘He’s pinching me,’ while a daycare worker responds, ‘No pinching, only punching.’”

“Clearly one of the children is crying and does not want to continue on and he is pushed back into the fray by one of the adults,” Dover Police Captain Tim Stump said.
Cristyl Slack says her four-year-old daughter was in the room when the fight happened in March.

• Brian 2013/02/17 15:12:11
    Home
    Brian
    +7
    Wirhout a doubt at home I have seen the difference first hand and it is remarkable

• sneekyfoot 2013/02/17 22:14:19
    Day Care
    sneekyfoot
    fighting kids thats a great idea .
  • David 2013/02/17 21:35:50
    Home
    David
    I am never sure why "other" is not an option in polls like this?

In some homes children need to be removed from an unhealthy environment and in some Day Care organizations there are problems!

This is not a black and white issue and all factors need to be considered!
  • EllaBella 2013/02/17 20:43:37
    Home
    EllaBella
    +2
    and I support a society that makes it possible for a parent to stay home. at least until the child can communicate what they did when in another's care.
  • Lady Wh... EllaBella 2013/02/18 13:28:03
    +1
    Most sensible answer I've heard...
  • Eydís Brynja 2013/02/17 20:41:00
    Home
    Eydís Brynja
    +1
    oh god I feel bad but I laughed at the words "toddler fight club"..That IS awful though...
    I guess if you don't have the time to Take care of your kid because you work or something and you trust and Know the Caregivers well It should be ok. But that being said, my parents both work and managed to raise Eight kids just fine without daycare.
  • macbeth 2013/02/17 20:13:37
    Home
    macbeth
    +2
    I really don't like the fashion for sending children off to strangers at an ever younger age.
  • addie 2013/02/17 19:39:56
    Home
    addie
    +3
    It depends on many factors.
    Even though this is a horrible case and these people should be shot, it sounds funny to me, I can picture Lucy Van Pelt refereeing. lol
  • Ron Bur... addie 2013/03/04 17:11:35
  • Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/17 19:05:04
    Home
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    who in their right mind would leave their kids with women that looked like those three anyhow
  • Rebel Yell 2013/02/17 19:02:32
    Home
    Rebel Yell
    +2
    Many children are home with a parent. The CPS caseworker also drops in from time to time. So, it all depends on the home. Onthe flip side, there are stay at home moms who leave their children with the nanny so they can chair charities and appear at garden club luncheons.

It is sad that some parents have no alternative but to leave their child with goons like these three.
  • Dickens 2013/02/17 18:48:45 (edited)
    Home
    Dickens
    ...but very few working families can survive America's incredibly greedy 1% on just one income..
  • Mytstar... Dickens 2013/02/17 19:07:32
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +3
    dont have children that you cant afford
  • TruBluTopaz 2013/02/17 17:39:42
    Home
    TruBluTopaz
    +2
    My husband and I made economic choices so that I could stay home with our young children. His job required frequent travel and our kids needed someone at home. I cherish those days and I feel sad for those parents and kids who must rely on often deficient daycare because of the cost. I did return to work when my children were in preschool on a part time basis, but there is a point where you aren't working for a paycheck anymore, you are simply paying for childcare. I know not all parents can afford to do this, but I am very close to my children as adults and none of them have picked up any bad habits because their lives were centered around our family and each other. BTW, all are working independent adults.
  • JohnT 2013/02/17 17:09:10
    Home
    JohnT
    +1
    Home is the best but not all folks have that option when they are trying to make a living. Having your child in day care does not make you a bad parent, the time you spend with the child should be quality time that is the difference
    .I see some mothers and fathers preoccupied with their heads buried in a cell phone while the kid is trying to get their attention. I find that a waste of good quality time with your kids.
  • Crym 2013/02/17 17:08:24
    Home
    Crym
    +1
    Children are better off at home than in a day care if that is an option. However, they are also better in a day care than out on the streets because one of the parents is forced to quit their job and the other can't find another job to balance the costs. Perspective is necessary.
  • Mytstar... Crym 2013/02/17 19:10:36
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    why are people with low educations and low paying jobs having children in the first place..I know ... it still a free country... but that doesnt mean they have to be stupid
  • Crym Mytstar... 2013/02/17 19:17:05
    Crym
    I've asked my friend that before, and she said that there are a few reasons:

1. They want something to do, but can't afford contraceptives.
    2. They want kids for biological reasons (furthering the line).
    3. They want kids for future reasons--they want someone else to be able to work and get money and/or they want someone to care for them when they get older.
    4. They like children.

Why would you think that someone that is uneducated people would be less likely to have children? That's a free-ish form of entertainment.
  • Mytstar... Crym 2013/02/17 19:28:25 (edited)
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    actually it is the uneducated that are more liklely to have children...children they cant support with out the government handouts from the taxpayers that so many of them insist they have a right to... yes they have a right to have kids... but why must the rest of us pay for them ......and its not free-ish when others foot the bill in the long run
  • Crym Mytstar... 2013/02/17 19:51:28
    Crym
    I already know that the uneducated are more likely to have children--what I don't understand is exactly what you would have them do instead. Give them free birth control/condoms? If you're against that, then there's no point in complaining. Going on a mini-rant at me isn't going to change anything. I'm not uneducated and am never even intending to have kids, plus I don't control the decisions of others. =/
  • Mytstar... Crym 2013/02/17 20:58:48
    Mytstar ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Sorry if you think I am ranting "At You" that is not my intention...as for what would I have them do instead?? how about get a decent education ... and keep their legs together and their pants on...until they learn something else to spend their spare time on ... Boredom is no excuse to be careless and stupid about the consequence's of sex... as far as FREE birth control...most seem to be able to buy their cigarettes and other things that Food stamps dont pay for
  • skowcog 2013/02/17 16:35:36
    Home
    skowcog
    +2
    The importance is way understated in this uber liberal washed society of ours. Someone needs to stay with the kids until or least they go to school. This kind of story really depresses me. I feel like I am living in a place lacking any kind of gentility. It is sad!
  • munda 2013/02/17 16:31:35
    Home
    munda
    +1
    At a day care they are only there to collect a paycheck.
  • superangrymonkey 2013/02/17 16:21:05
    Home
    superangrymonkey
    +2
    This is loaded all all hell so I'm going to answer here. The actions of a few women does not mean all Day Cares are bad. The reality of our time is that both parents (when they are present) have to work. Day Care is not the ideal but it is the reality.
  • CAPISCE superan... 2013/02/17 16:33:53
    CAPISCE
    The question was which situation offers the better option for the child's welfare not if some parents are forced to use day care
  • superan... CAPISCE 2013/02/17 16:36:33
    superangrymonkey
    +1
    Eh, you gotta weigh all of the facts to make an informed answer. A Good Day Care doesn't "raise" your kids for you.
  • CAPISCE superan... 2013/02/17 17:06:42
    CAPISCE
    24 hours in a day, 8 sleeping, 8 working , that leaves 8 to raise the child
  • Matt M 2013/02/17 15:41:57
    Home
    Matt  M
    +1
    Give me these three and a baseball bat.
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/17 15:24:48
    Home
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Home, by far. I would be the one wanting to imprint my kids, not some day care worker making minimum wage and not really liking their job.
  • timothy.hill.14 2013/02/17 15:22:28
    Home
    timothy.hill.14
    +3
    I read this article when it first came out and am disgusted by it as much now as I was then. I hope if I have kids that I never have to send them to a day care. Those places always look so dirty and germ filled.
  • deidara.trueart 2013/02/17 15:16:42
  • Zepland 2013/02/17 15:13:49
    Home
    Zepland
    +6
    Just look at that motley crew. I wouldn't leave any defenseless person in their care.
    There's no place like home till their old enough to start regular school. And this situation proves it.
  • littlebuffalo55TBA 2013/02/17 15:13:47
    Day Care
    littlebuffalo55TBA
    +4
    Daycare because Obama says so!

Actually the three should be put under a blanket with one $50 and the Dept of Homeland Security can shoot an Instructional Video called "Three Pigs fighting under a Blanket"!
  • Stardust 2013/02/17 15:13:13
  • Brian 2013/02/17 15:12:11
    Home
    Brian
    +7
  • Lady Wh... Brian 2013/02/17 16:01:32
    +3
    Agreed!
  • baby cakes 826 2013/02/17 15:10:53
    Home
    baby cakes 826
    +1
    However, with work many parents can't afford to work at home, so stay home to watch their children. So day cares will not become obsolete any time soon.
  • Peewee ... baby ca... 2013/02/17 15:23:36
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    Sometimes, day care eats one entire salary. Those are the cases where I don't see why one wouldn't stay home with the kids. That's why hubby's 1st wife stayed home. It cost more for her to go to work. But you're right, they won't go away soon.
  • CAPISCE Peewee ... 2013/02/17 15:45:50
    CAPISCE
    +2
    Very good point, depending on the job sometimes a family is losing money with both working
  • Peewee ... CAPISCE 2013/02/17 16:26:43
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    And we all know the abundance of good jobs these days :-[
  • Brian baby ca... 2013/02/17 19:21:36
    Brian
    +2
    When my 4th son was born the wife and I Decided it would be best if she stayed home with him until he started school, we were looking at a $35,000 hit to the income but once I sat and calculated the cost of the daycare along with more trips to the doctor (Daycares are notoriuos grem factories) the extra gas going to and from the daycare. and when we subtracted out what we would save on her not working i.e. gas, lunches, work clothes (she had to dress up for work in an office environment) the actual loss was about $18,000 a year, we could and did handle that loss very well and the difference in our son is remarkable.

2014/07/25 11:29:22