CUTTING- Do you think cutting has been glorified in which has ignited a trend among our youth today. Videos, like Pink's "Perfect"; bringing awareness or igniting a trend?

Chloe Jane 2011/06/03 06:59:12

I am wondering the opinons of the public on the very serious matter of cutting. One of the most physically and emotionally traumatizing symptoms of certain mental illnesses. Videos, like Pink's "Perfect", show an emotionally distressed girl cutting the word perfect into her arm while in the bathtub. Do you think this provokes the youth of today to mimic such behavior if in a similar situation or is it raising awareness about a real problem in how generations today deal with deep emotional dispair?

Please show care in answering this question and refrain from encouraging anyone to self- harm. Your opinons in every spectrum is appreciated and acknowleged, however, this is a very sensitive matter to many people out there.

-ChloeJane xoxo

• faith 2012/07/10 21:13:45
    faith
    +4
    Not at all. Self-harm is a form of outlet. And to be honest, self-harmeds get made fun of for it. No, it's not a "trend." it's ridiculous if anybody thinks so. Even if it's been glorified per say, nobody (unless they've been in a self-harmers position) would ever understand how much pain you have to be in on the inside to drag a blade across your skin.

• lolitalovely 2012/07/12 20:53:14
    lolitalovely
    Trends don't usually involve people making fun of those in on the trend. It's not really a trend. It's a way to cope with things. Some psychologists even think it's a way of unconsciously keeping yourself from suicide. It may be a bit glamorized, but I'm sure anyone whose tried it, quickly lost the glamor.
  • xXScarlettXx 2012/07/12 19:17:20
  • Nika 2012/07/12 16:58:21
    Nika
    It may be a little glamorized by the emo trend some kids want to fit into but things like Pink's video is really the opposite. Her video is more to bring attention to the problem as well as explain that everyone is imperfect and you can't be too hard on yourself about your own flaws or differences.
  • bloody rose 2012/07/12 05:31:24
    bloody rose
    I don't think so I just think it shows that they're going through a rough time and they cope by cutting
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/12 02:56:49
  • SoCalEx-Dem 2012/07/12 02:56:48
    SoCalEx-Dem
    It seems self destructive, I can't imagine the pain your mind is in to allow you to harm yourself. I'm not trying to judge anyone, I just wouldn't do it.
  • Nekosarethebest 2012/07/12 02:32:14
    Nekosarethebest
    Some people honestly do it for attention, but others are genuinely depressed.
  • Andy 2012/07/12 01:52:53
    Andy
    It is very sad... I have a niece that has cut herself HUNDREDS of time... in counseling...but still very troubled.
  • Veritas-Gen-2 2012/07/11 23:49:25
    Veritas-Gen-2
    I think maybe it does. I just learned last night that my daughter (almost 13) did this (just once), but I am alarmed. She appears confident and well adjusted -- yet she told me she didn't feel "pretty enough". Very upsetting.
  • Manster 2012/07/11 20:06:29
    Manster
    For fans of Asian horror movies, that form of self harm is often depicted in the movies. But then again in many Asian horror movies, suicide is treated in a way that could be viewed as being a glorified manner.
  • Quiet-is-feared 2012/07/11 20:01:10 (edited)
    Quiet-is-feared
    +2
    I believe cutting has become more popular now, due to these basic glorifications, like the video.

I used to sit at home and slice my wrists with a knife or razor. It got to the point I had to wear long sleeve tops in gym class and bandage my wrists with gauz to hide the amount of blood that had drained from my body.

I don't cut anymore but I understand and agree with you. Now a days it seems cutting and self harm is made to look like everyone is doing it, like there's no problems or issues with cutting yourself.

I dont think it's raising awareness as much as it is advertising it. I believe Pinks video sent the wrong message, cutting is never okay and it sure as hell shouldn't be promoted through music videos.
  • ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥ 2012/07/11 19:49:04
    ☽✪☾Goddess~Worshiper☥
    +2
    Nothing can glorify cutting. I have done it before, I will not say my reasons for doing so, but I have. I regret it now. There are scars on my wrist to remind me of that point in my life. I just want to forget it. But, as I always say. Scars tell you where you've been, not where you're going.
  • ~[Rachel Mariee]~ 2012/07/11 19:14:26
    ~[Rachel Mariee]~
    +1
    I don't think it's encouraged by videos like perfect.. I think cutting.. Is self harm .. Which is either caused.. By wanting attention...or it's just how people are. It's a way they relieve stress.. They like the pain of it..
    Nothing can make people just randomly want to cut themselves... Something or someone has hurt them and people make that decision.. Or.. They just do it.. To do it..
  • kPOW™ 2012/07/11 19:02:18
    kPOW™
    +1
    ... cutting actually takes on many forms of expression. a call of attention, cry for help, relieving stress, loving the look, the feel, enjoying the sensation of pain, feeling they deserve it and the feeling of being in control... seeing the blood, feeling the pain shows they can control at least one thing... which for them is a good positive reinforcement. the most desperate of cutting stems from DID (dissociative identity disorder)... which multiple personalities could be surfacing and cutting is the only way they find to battle the multiple issues at hand.

i think in the video they are portraying the artistic sense that the girl wants to be perfect, cutting it into her skin for a positive reinforcement for herself. as for provoking the youth of today into cutting... there are so many other forms of peer pressure that cause them to find silent ways to deal with their emotional despair.

cutting should always be taken seriously... even if the cutter claims they were curious, or they wanted to see how it felt. self harm is NEVER a good way of getting over the sadness.
  • CwrazyLwina 2012/07/11 19:02:04
    CwrazyLwina
    I'm in high school where there's lots of people who cut...it's not encouraged but the adults can't do anything when the cuts are hidden. I've never seen the video for pink, but cutting..even when it seems like you have a good reason to do it, you can never keep it a secret forever. When you get found out, it'll be taken away, and it's an addiction. The longer you go the more you get addicted the harder it's gonna be when you're made to stop.

It's just not a good idea.
  • Rubyking 2012/07/11 18:59:06
    Rubyking
    nope
  • ☆ElenaDiamond☆ 2012/07/11 18:58:11
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +2
    I think it has been glorified by some . Normalizing it makes it easier for others to do.
  • faith 2012/07/10 21:13:45
    faith
    +4
  • shiroidenkou1994 2012/01/18 03:19:19
    shiroidenkou1994
    I don't think that self-harm imagery like that prompts young people to mimic the behavior or is starting a trend. I think a possible reason for the rising statistics is that self-harmers don't feel like it's quite such a taboo as it was in the past. (although it is still kind of a taboo subject) SI'ers, I think, are becoming increasingly more comfortable being open about their SI, and seeking treatment if they feel I't's necessary. It's becoming more acceptable to talk about, precisely because it's being talked about more. Videos and media coverage definitely help with that. (although I feel that a lot of the media coverage is harmful, either by getting the facts wrong or giving the wrong advices.)
  • LilMissManners 2011/06/03 10:43:06 (edited)
    LilMissManners
    +1
    Unfortunately, the answer depends on the audience. When a pop culture icon whom has many teenage fans has scenes like that in a video it can become negatively influential (although, I am sure that wasn't her intention) being that unfortunately many children don't watch the video from an abstract mind set. Just like with cutting becoming almost synonymous with emo has in a way almost encouraged kids to imitate the behavior in order to embrace the "style" even more. Although, it is a coping method that people should be aware of, there needs to be ways of bringing this awareness that isn't necessarily offering an idea to a teenager who may have not come up with it all on their own. Perhaps more awareness should be focussed on mental illnesses itself as well as positive coping method options than on the scary symptoms, a perpetuated negative stigma, and unhealthy coping methods. Videos such as "Perfect" are also the reason that parents should be more aware of what their children are being exposed to and ready to have that conversation openly.
  • Chloe Jane LilMiss... 2011/06/03 10:47:23
    Chloe Jane
    +1
    Great addition to the discussion Seestor!
  • Leslie 2011/06/03 07:23:59
    Leslie
    I hope Pink's video is bringing awareness to self-injury and not igniting a trend. That scene in Pink's video might have a higher chance as being triggering rather than making it seem less serious. I think self-injury and mental illness need to become a less taboo subject so that they can be discussed more easily and information about them can get out and clear common misconceptions about self-injury and mental illness.
  • Chloe Jane Leslie 2011/06/03 07:38:42
    Chloe Jane
    +1
    I agree with you! Mental illness should not be ignored or stigmatized any longer~ Thank you for your opinion!
  • LilMiss... Leslie 2011/06/03 10:46:47
    LilMissManners
    +1
    The trouble is that many teenagers and children are going to see the image as something they associate with being "emo" the style or the state of mind and aren't going to realize the meaning behind her amazingly powerful lyrics. The more "trendy" some of the scarier symptoms become of mental illnesses the more powerful the stigma is going to become. Together this will lead to even more people feeling justified in dismissing someone who is truly suffering as someone who is just trying to get attention.
  • Leslie LilMiss... 2011/06/03 20:55:31
    Leslie
    I agree. Most young people I know associate forms of self-injury as being "emo" or something that is a trend and that person just wants attention. There is far too many misconceptions and stigma that surrounds mental illness and self-injury. I think young people and many adults need to become aware that these are serious issues, not just some trend.
  • TUScientist 2011/06/03 07:21:27
    TUScientist
    +2
    Cutting has been a major issue for years. I haven't seen the video, but to be honest it seems to represent the truth of a situation, and not necessarily trying to glamorize it. But then again I could be wrong, like i said, I haven't see the video. With that said, however, for as long as there have been teenage angst and knives, certain depressed kids have cut themselves. It is not a new phenomenon.

However, it is a serious problem and can be very dangerous. If anyone cutting themselves or thinking about cutting themselves, then please talk to someone. People out there care and they don't want to see you hurt.
  • Chloe Jane TUScien... 2011/06/03 07:33:46
    Chloe Jane
    I encourage you to see the video. It is very emotional and provides a better understanding on why people resort to such behavior. I agree that it doen't glamorize it yet encourages an awarness and an understanding of such acts. It also insits on a compassion for those affected in similar ways~ I appreciate your response!
  • LilMiss... TUScien... 2011/06/03 10:49:43
  • Chloe Jane LilMiss... 2011/06/03 11:01:53
    Chloe Jane
    Thank you Seestor for attaching this video! I don't know how to do that~ You're so great!!!!!
  • ☆The Rock☆ * AFCL* The Sheriff!!
    +4
    Yes unfortuantley videos can encourage this type of behavior expecially when kids have no role models or parents are absent from kid's lives!
  • Chloe Jane ☆The Ro... 2011/06/03 07:30:46
    Chloe Jane
    Thank you for your response. I think Pink is a role model to have and she shines a light on an issue that is on the rise in our generations today. 17 years ago when I first started cutting I knew of no one who shared in this behavior. I praise artists like Pink who are brave enough to show compassion for those who suffer from a real problem....such as herself and many a like.
  • LilMiss... Chloe Jane 2011/06/03 10:55:27
    LilMissManners
    +1
    The question is: Has cutting become something that has increased in the "generations today" because of true mental health issues or because the emo style (which in most of the images you google include scars/cutting/razors) has become so "cool"?
  • LilMiss... Chloe Jane 2011/06/03 10:57:32
    LilMissManners
    After thought... Although you know I freakin love Pink, and although, she may be a good role model in ways to adults who can really interpret what she is saying in her lyrics, I am not sure that she is the best role model to teenagers who aren't going to take the time or the energy to really get what she is trying to say with her music.. UNLESS adults (such as parents) take the opportunity to talk with their kids.

2014/12/22 09:14:35