Coraline: Stop-motion blockbuster or Nightmare Before Christmas Knockoff?

Gossip 2009/02/09 22:33:26
Stop-motion hit Coraline is a creepy animated feature in which Coraline goes through a strange door in her house, and discovers an alternate universe, with alternate parents. Many people are already comparing Coraline to Henry Selick's best-known stop-motion film, Tim Burton's classic The Nightmare Before Christmas. Even though Coraline is based on a book, the visuals of the film and theme are very similar to Tim Burton's fairy tale.

Are the concept and imagery used in Coraline just a rip-off of Nightmare Before Christmas?

• frostyfreeze 2009/09/26 19:45:09 (edited)
    I think... (leave a comment)
    frostyfreeze
    +2
    the similarities between Neil Gaiman's 'Coraline' and Clive Barker's 'The Thief of Always' are numerous and glaring - not that I consider retelling a tale to be outright plagiarism, merely lacking in originality (which is not a crime in itself). both books are altogether a welcome twist on the age-old Hansel & Gretel / Pinnochio archetype, whilst the film Coraline is highly entertaining, clever, witty and powerfully articulated eye-candy. both 'Nightmare' & 'Coraline' being directed by the legendary Tim Burton allows us to forgive any duplicity in the aesthetics and indeed, is this not the excellence we demand from this particular "genre" of film-making !?

• OctoberHoliday 2009/09/30 22:29:11
    No - Coraline is a new classic!
    OctoberHoliday
    I do absolutely love The Nightmare Before Christmas. And I absolutely love Coraline. When I first saw Coraline, I didn't even think of TNBC, and it's my favorite movie.

I didn't notice any similarities besides they're both stop-motion animated. Of course, Coraline does have a lot of things is common with other works, but I really don't think we can pin that on the movie. . . more like the book, I think.
    I think... (leave a comment)
    frostyfreeze
    +2
  • October... frostyf... 2009/09/30 22:26:38 (edited)
    OctoberHoliday
    IBut Burton didn't direct either The Nightmare Before Christmas or Coraline. He did produce TNBC, though. He had nothing at all to o with Coraline, however, but I can see why people would think he did.
  • Santos ... frostyf... 2011/09/07 01:12:43
    Santos Medrano
    +2
    While it is true that both Coraline and The Thief of Always are basically versions of Hansel and Gretel and the donkey segment of Pinocchio (plus many other fairy tales and fantasy stories over the years), the one main similarity that makes one seem like a rip-off of the other is that, in both, the young hero/heroine chooses to return to the dark world they escaped from to defeat the main villain and save others.
  • Santos ... frostyf... 2011/09/07 01:17:55
    Santos Medrano
    +1
    Of course, one could also say that Barker ripped-off Flight of the Navigator when Harvey returns home and discovers that many years have passed. Almost any story can be picked apart and compared to another.
  • Alissa 2009/05/31 23:56:37
    No - Coraline is a new classic!
    Alissa
    of course not tim burton is true genius and come his movies have a dark sides to them and thats why we love him
  • Vieuphoria 2009/03/11 00:05:35
    I think... (leave a comment)
    Vieuphoria
    +1
    It is directed by the same person..... what do you expect. There is going to be a running aesthetic. But whe you think of it, was James and the Giant Peach a Nightmae Knockoff???
  • Dru Vieuphoria 2009/03/19 19:16:12
    Dru
    +1
    James & the Giant Peach came before Nightmare before Christmas
  • Vieuphoria Dru 2009/03/21 10:44:55
    Vieuphoria
    yeah...

i was just using it to illsutrate my point.
  • jessy 2009/03/02 15:49:39
    I think... (leave a comment)
    jessy
    I just saw Coraline and, not knowing it was a Neil Gaiman book, all I could think the entire time was, "This whole thing is a rip-off of Clive Barker's The Thief of Always." Gaiman's book is a rip-off and so is this movie.
  • October... jessy 2009/09/30 22:27:43
    OctoberHoliday
    Didn't it also have a lot of similarities with Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland stories?
  • mia October... 2010/04/05 02:44:38
    mia
    +2
    only in the sense that the protagonist is a young person who enters a fantasy world. Wonderland isn't evil the way the fantasy worlds in Coraline and TTOA are. Alice isn't tricked into feeling safe and welcome and pampered only to find out that the people are only treating her nicely so that they can feed off of her and that the world that seemed so nice is actually inhabited by monsters and that they are only the latest in a long line of people to have been lured into that world. Alice also doesn't have a life or death battle against anyone. Alice just has a series of frustrating encounters that turn out to have been a dream.
  • makayla 2009/02/23 19:16:18
    I think... (leave a comment)
    makayla
    i like both i love that kind of stuff it rocks
  • random turtle 2009/02/19 00:47:46
    No - Coraline is a new classic!
    random turtle
    Not quite a classic, but it's not a knockoff. You can tell it's inspired by other movies, but it's still pretty original.
  • Briana 2009/02/15 05:56:56
    No - Coraline is a new classic!
    Briana
  • Anja 2009/02/13 22:03:23
    No - Coraline is a new classic!
    Anja
    Totally original. Neil Gaiman's a genius. I hope to read another of his books soon.
  • emma 2009/02/13 20:15:05
    I think... (leave a comment)
    emma
    that the nightmare befor christmas is so so so so so so so so so so sooooooooooooooooooo much better
  • Luke 2009/02/13 04:14:32
    I think... (leave a comment)
    Luke
    Coraline is a knock off of the book 'The Thief of Always' by Clive Barker. Pretty much the same exact idea with a few small changes. It was written before Coraline.
    The movie does look good and is not a rip off of TNBC.
  • gixxer42308 2009/02/13 02:10:24
    I think... (leave a comment)
    gixxer42308
    coraline is a different story all together. although the animation is similar and the whole door into another world is similar, they are not at all alike. maybe if you haven't read the book, you wouldn't understand the difference.
  • mia gixxer4... 2010/04/05 02:46:06
    mia
    +3
    the book version of coraline might be different, I haven't read it, but the story presented in the movie is almost exactly the same as TTOA.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2009/02/10 00:58:07
    I think... (leave a comment)
    NarcolepticGoat
    Neil Gaiman wrote it. It was a book first.

http://www.amazon.com/Coralin...

2014/12/18 23:48:35