CONTROVERSY > Should 11-Year-Olds Be Taught How to Use a Condom?

Yeah. You read that right.

We don't know how sex education classes are nowadays, but ours consisted of a scary video of some woman in labor going through what looked like the most painful experience of her life and a stern "Don't have sex before marriage!" talk from our school principal.

But it looks like times have changed -- in New York City at least. The metropolitan city is reforming the way they look at sex education and will begin implementing a more controversial curriculum starting this year.

What does that mean, exactly? Well, for starters, public middle schools and high schools in the city will be given lessons on how to successfully use a condom and a talk on the appropriate age for sexual activity.

The sex talk we can understand, but a tutorial on how to use a condom? At eleven years old?! That seems a bit excessive.

The brand new mandate is a part of New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg's strategy to improve the quality of life for black and Latino teenagers who, according to city statistics, are far more likely to have unplanned pregnancies and get STD's compared to their white peers.

“It’s obviously something that applies to all boys and all girls,” Linda Gibbs, deputy mayor for health and human services, told the New York Times. “But
when we look at the biggest disadvantages that kids in our city face, it is blacks and Latinos that are most affected by the consequences of early sexual behavior and unprotected sex.”

Do you think New York's sex education mandate is a step in the right direction?

• red cat Chris M... 2011/09/03 17:04:53
    red cat
    First of all, Religon should not be taught in schools, and second, it's a good thind for kids to know what sex is, alot of parents are not educated enough to tell their kids about std's and sex. I would rather have a professional talking to me, instead of my parents; and I'm sure alot of kids would agree.
  • xcheshi... Chris M... 2011/10/05 20:11:53
    xcheshirecat
    "All Of The Propaganda Junk Out Of Public Schools"
    "TimeTo Put Bible Studie To
    Put God Back In All Public Schools"

Those 2 sentences can't be put in the same post
  • Ali 2011/08/31 21:31:17
    Ali
    +2
    I'm 12 in November and I haven't learned about ANY kind of sex in school! I mean, seriously. We're practically kids! No way in heck should we learn how to use a condom!
  • ken blackstock 2011/08/31 21:30:25
    ken blackstock
    ITS UP 2 MOM AN DAD. IF THEY LEARN BOUT BEING SAFE IN SCHOOL. THEY MITE TRY IT. THEY MITE GET THE WRONG INPRESSING
  • kiki 2011/08/31 21:28:12
    kiki
    +1
    No kids or anyone that is not married shouldn't even think of having sex
  • MarkGoldstein 2011/08/31 21:12:38
    MarkGoldstein
    +2
    Better safe than sorry.
  • Murph 65 2011/08/31 19:28:07
    Murph 65
    It would be nice if we could let kids be kids. Maybe we ought to be giving mom and dad sex education courses and courses in how to teach their kids about sex.
  • newleaf 2011/08/31 16:08:34
    newleaf
    This sounds shocking to people that don't have kids.
    My son is 18 and grew up perfectly fine. Condom use was covered in his middle school sex education class it brought up some good discussions at home and zero problems.
  • Gilberto Castellanos 2011/08/31 10:11:11
    Gilberto Castellanos
    your kidding right?
  • sheherezade 2011/08/31 08:59:52
    sheherezade
    definitely not! I think they should step back and start teaching the proper values and respect that each person should have for themselves first, and then for others. Teaching how to use a condom is like allowing birth-control pills at 14! you don't solve the problem--you just allow children to think that it is ok to have sex at 11----AND IT IS NOT OK! IT IS NOT OK TO BURN THE STEPS TO A HEALTHY LIFE STYLE. WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY THINKING ABOUT?
    But then again, it is much easier to provide a remedy, than to cure the cause. What is this world coming to?
  • Goku90504 2011/08/31 08:00:15
    Goku90504
    +2
    yes because you arn't going to get kids to stop having sex so give up that fight and at least try to win the fight of teaching how to make sex safer also if you demystify it they won't be so obsessed with it
  • debadow 2011/08/31 07:06:56
    debadow
    +2
    11 year olds don't need to know about those things
  • silentart 2011/08/31 06:22:35
    silentart
    +4
    Abuse art of loving... It is wrong to encourage kids to experiment ... What happen to old fashioned style of chaperone?
  • Tim 2011/08/31 06:06:07
    Tim
    +2
    They should be taught how to use them to water bomb their teachers and all politicians!
  • T. James H 2011/08/31 05:39:13
  • ThGeorgGustavBIllTom 2011/08/31 05:34:44
    ThGeorgGustavBIllTom
    +1
    Kids ad that age shouldn't even think about sex or condoms! And if 13 year old girls are getting pregnant doesn't mean that every girl on that age thinks abouthaving sex. I'm 17 and I don't think about that stuff and my parents never did 'the talk' with me. And in the Netherlands we only learn about this during biology once or twice and here there aren't children having babies ad 13. Let children be children and don't steal there innocence away.
  • cirquedusolame 2011/08/31 04:01:08
    cirquedusolame
    Better to be prepared in advance than when it's too late.
  • Leo 2011/08/31 03:43:52
  • Brandon J. Cook 2011/08/31 03:38:28
    Brandon J. Cook
    I'm gonna play devils advocate and say yes for this, unfortunately girls are getting pregnant at the ages of 13 and 14 these days, which means sex or sexual acts could be taking place at an even younger age. In my opinion it's a shuddering fact and pretty bone chilling but regardless if this is what's happening, action to help prevent could be an only-option basis. I don't necessarily agree with the approach but it seems like a fix for a growing problem.
  • Irish~Gal~8 2011/08/31 03:17:26
    Irish~Gal~8
    to me thats to young to go into that much detail.
  • linda ~PWCM~JLA 2011/08/31 02:50:52
    linda   ~PWCM~JLA
    I think they should be prepared because it's not like the old days. Kids are having sex earlier as both sexes are maturing earlier. Who needs a preteen pregnancy??? You folks may think one way but your children may want it more because you've made it taboo.
    No, not that young.
  • zari 2011/08/31 01:29:35
    zari
    Eleven year olds don't need to be taught how to use a condom! At that age, teaching them how to use a condom is like teaching them to have premarital sex.
    What moron thought of that anyway? Some people in this world are SICK! Did they consult a child psychologist first before deciding this? I'm a psychology major and I say NO!! to this TERRIBLE IDEA!!
  • ttfndude 2011/08/31 01:16:07
    ttfndude
    +1
    but hopefully by the parent...who are we kidding though there are so many lazy parents out there schools need to help...also they can always opt out
  • AlexThe... ttfndude 2011/08/31 01:34:16
    AlexTheFork
    Ahh yes, that little form that will get you out of health class.
  • Lizzie 2011/08/31 00:05:48
    Lizzie
    If they're not taught early there'll be kids having kids.
  • Ah 123 2011/08/30 23:52:22
    Ah 123
    Well I'm in middle school and without agreeing or disagreeing I think it wouldn't hurt theres already prego girls at my school... :(
  • Sookiebaby Ah 123 2011/08/31 02:00:21
    Sookiebaby
    +1
    ...
    Great. Now I'm scared about strting middle school tomorrow.
  • Ah 123 Sookiebaby 2011/09/06 13:58:03
    Ah 123
    Haha don't worry if you hangout with the right people you will be fine.(:
  • nothingUnreal 2011/08/30 23:07:47 (edited)
    nothingUnreal
    +1
    Yes, by their parents. But since so many parents are made irresponsible by religion and latent victorian prudism, the state has to intervene in the public interest, because STDs and teenage pregnancy are REAL dangers, whereas "loss of virtue" is an imaginary one.

Parents have a moral duty to teach their children what the need to know, and to teach them the difference between good sense, morality and mere preference. I might prefer that my child remain celibate until marriage, but she NEEDS to know to be responsible, whenever she takes the plunge. To that end, I teach her as she is ready and shows interest, and we have never had the whole awkwardness that you face when you think you can wait to have "the talk". It just doesn't work that way.
  • Tygear 2011/08/30 22:30:58
    Tygear
    +1
    As disturbing of an idea as it might be, I have talked to several people who lost their virginity at around that age. And it is always better safe than sorry. For those of you who think that getting teens to stop having sex is as simple as telling them to be abstinent; I say to you that's like throwing somebody into the ocean and them telling them not to swim.
  • l 2011/08/30 21:58:47
    l
    No! No! And No!!
  • mrsjacksonrathbone 2011/08/30 21:58:02
    mrsjacksonrathbone
    Better safe than sorry.
  • mimi 2011/08/30 21:49:24
    mimi
    +2
    This IS a tough one. IF it were my child, i'd say no BUT the truth is , there are plenty of 11 yr olds
    having sex & not confiding in parents, SO i'd rather they learn the correct information than listen to
    friends who don't even know how to wash their ears. THIS is the truth people.
  • Student 2011/08/30 21:44:33
    Student
    +1
    Most of them are having sex.
  • Ammyanne 2011/08/30 21:27:07 (edited)
    Ammyanne
    +1
    Of course. Sometimes unfortunate kids wind up in adult situations for whatever reason. Why should their childish error result in a baby or a lethal disease?
    The only reason there are any humans on the planet at all is because of sex. Obviously humans on(&animals;, plants too) are genetically predisposed to have sex. And the changes in puberty that ready a females body for a pregnancy can begin as young as NINE YEARS OLD!! As a mother, I want my kids to have the best lives they can without the complications and health risks that one stupid decision can create-im not happy to have my kids know about sex, or other matters deemed 'adult', but I'm more unhappy picturing pregnant 11 year olds and kids with a whole life ahead of them being on treatments for lethal diseases that result in painful and horrific deaths.
  • gnice123 2011/08/30 20:52:05 (edited)
    gnice123
    +3
    I voted yes but the devil is in how the question is worded. I seriously doubt that kids are taught how to use a condom in sex ed. It's much more likely that they are just told what they are and what their purpose is.

ETA: Better safe than sorry concerning children who, whether you like it or not, are often able to make babies at that age.

Greg P.
  • Julia 2011/08/30 20:20:09
    Julia
    +3
    my best friend lost her virginity at 12. i think its totally insane but there are a lot of people doing it earlier then we think. id rather them be safe about it rather then having MORE teen moms and dads out there.
  • gidianedwards97 2011/08/30 20:06:11
    gidianedwards97
    +1
    teach them now or they will do it on their own then it is to late.
  • wow-really 2011/08/30 20:03:30
    wow-really
    +2
    But here's the thing...
    if parents were doing such a great job of educating thier kids on sex and expressing their views and values on sex, how come we still have a such a high rate of kids becoming pregnant, having abortions, and STD's. Including, but not limited to, HIV and AIDS????
    Yes it should be up to a parent, but let's face it folks, not enough parents are doing the right thing.There are not enough paretns out there talking openly and honestly about sex and values. There just isn't., yet no one wants to admit that. and the only ones that suffer for our stubborness are the kids. That's the problem.
    Turning a blind eye and/or wishing the situation remain a private affair is not doing what's right for all children Kids whose parents do not have open and honest conversations about sexuality are more likely to be the ones that are placing themselves in harms way, and who encourage others kids to do the same. Kids are constantly bombarded with mixed messages from their peers/media/entertainment and even their own parents, who might tell them sex is bad, but don't give any information on the subject or the opposite, by setting the wrong examples by being promiscuous themselves and/or having lots of baby daddy's/baby mamas, but no spouse to speak of, with no means to care for...
    But here's the thing...
    Turning a blind eye and/or wishing the situation remain a private affair is not doing what's right for all children Kids whose parents do not have open and honest conversations about sexuality are more likely to be the ones that are placing themselves in harms way, and who encourage others kids to do the same. Kids are constantly bombarded with mixed messages from their peers/media/entertainment and even their own parents, who might tell them sex is bad, but don't give any information on the subject or the opposite, by setting the wrong examples by being promiscuous themselves and/or having lots of baby daddy's/baby mamas, but no spouse to speak of, with no means to care for any of them themselves...
    Bottom line is that it is better to have well educated kids, who are able to make good decisions based on factual knowledge about sex and their own bodies, and who have a foundation based on strong values and moral beliefs ...

2014/12/18 14:26:03