Colin Farrell: I Grew Up Watching My Gay Brother Be Bullied

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/03/11 04:45:32

Says Colin:

“If there was one great wish I have for my country – for a land that I love and a people I so revere, it would be that school bullying were a thing of our past.

So much has befallen us in our shared history as a people. The harshest of these times have threatened to take our dignity, or scald our hearts into closing.

“Most of our great trials, from soiled land to the institutionalized abuse of trust and power, were inflicted upon us, whether by nature or the power corrupt. Now with bullying, there is a clear choice and the choice is ours.

“Each individual, as a member of his and her community, must Stand Up! In the face of this appalling brutality that plagues our schools. In effect, bullying is no less than the systematic doling out of pain upon the innocent. It is literally laughing in the face of somebody as they fall into increasingly grave danger. It’s not my place to draw parallels, but we have had enough of such hardships. The world has.

“Whether it be the attacking of Gay students, which I witnessed first hand happening to my own brother, or students who are in the minority as a result of race or religious beliefs or any other such characteristic that separates them from ‘the norm’, it is all wrong and has no place in a just and compassionate country such as I know Ireland to be. We have always been praised as being the friendliest and most welcoming race in the world. My wish is for us to prove it daily, in the school yards and playgrounds across this Great Land of Ours.”

Read More: http://unicornbooty.com/blog/2012/03/09/colin-farr...

• HippiesKnowAll 2012/03/11 05:05:32
    HippiesKnowAll
    +4
    I'm not here to argue with anyone. I know everyone has their own beliefs and I respect that. I just don't agree with people being bullied, no matter what. If you don't agree with someone's beliefs that's fine and dandy but don't bully them.

• seathanaich 2012/03/12 22:07:54
    seathanaich
    +1
    The solution is simple: reduce the power and control of religion, and support the separation of religion and state. That's the best way to increase the freedom of everyone, including the religious. However, it will curtail the power of the religious majorities to bully and control everyone else.

Religion is declining in Ireland, and when enough people leave it, they will be able to create a more secular society there. Unfortunately, you can only do that AFTER a lot of people have already rejected religion.
  • HiYa 2012/03/12 01:11:59
    HiYa
    +1
    Well I've spent a great deal of time in Ireland. They are lot more tolerant of homosexuality. In the Irish Republic, there is no seperation of Church and State, so I am surprised at that.
    +1
    Today even more that when I was a teen, bullying is rampant and needs to be brought under control. The primary attackers are people who have been taught to be bullies by parents or family.
  • flaca BN-0 2012/03/11 06:00:47
    flaca BN-0
    +1
    So more evidence that turning out gay is not the fault of the household you grew up in then. Heartening.
  • HippiesKnowAll 2012/03/11 05:05:32
    HippiesKnowAll
    +4

2014/10/21 10:37:51