Coke and Pepsi Changing Caramel Coloring to Avoid Cancer Warning: Are You Concerned?

Coke and Pepsi are changing the way they make the caramel coloring they use in their sodas to avoid getting slapped with a cancer warning label, The Associated Press reports. But is it too little, too late for the popular soda companies?

Coca-Cola Co. and PepsiCo Inc. are trying to skirt a California law that mandates drinks containing a certain level of carcinogens to carry the scary label, according to the AP. The changes have already been made for sodas sold in California, and will also occur nationally. "Consumers will notice no difference in our products and have no reason at all for any health concerns," The American Beverage Association said in a statement.

Coca-Cola has ordered its caramel suppliers to reduce the levels of the chemical 4-methylimidazole, a representative for the company, Diana Garza-Ciarlante, told the AP. "While we believe that there is no public health risk that justifies any such change, we did ask our caramel suppliers to take this step so that our products would not be subject to the requirement of a scientifically unfounded warning."

Worried? You probably shouldn't be. The Food and Drug Administration said you'd have to drink more than 1,000 cans of soda a day to reach the level linked to cancer in rodents, according to the AP. Still ... filtered tap water just gets more and more tempting.

• Patagoniakid 2013/07/29 16:29:29
    Patagoniakid
    For diet coke you can always switch to "Green Coke"...

food

INFO here: http://www.foxnews.com/leisur...

I tried it and don't compare it to regular coke! It compares in taste with diet coke and looses it fizz quickly.
  • GaolBlaze 2012/03/19 02:26:12
    GaolBlaze
    Like everything else in the world, worrying could give me cancer!
  • JessicaPriest 2012/03/16 18:35:45
    JessicaPriest
    +1
    Im not neccesarily concerned about it, but I don't drink soda that often because of the unhealthiness of it. I used to drink it all the time and eventually just stopped. It definitely is something to think about though....
  • mountainman 2012/03/14 20:47:36 (edited)
    mountainman
    Just those California hippies getting their pants all up in a bunch thinking they are so freakin special! Let them drink 1000 cans of soda a day! Leave my Coca Cola alone, bitches!!!!
  • fortycal_sig 2012/03/14 17:29:50
    fortycal_sig
    +2
    Soda has all kinds of crap in it. Coke should go back to its original formulation--better tasting and less dangerous, albeit more expensive.
  • mountai... fortyca... 2012/03/14 20:44:13
    mountainman
    +1
    LOL...with that being said, do you realize that Coke used to have cocaine in it? That's why it was called "refreshing" in the beginning.
  • Ardwin_... mountai... 2012/03/15 01:33:12
    Ardwin_Viesheight
    +1
    Yes but there was a point in time when it had no cocaine or bad chemicals.
  • fortyca... mountai... 2012/03/15 07:03:01
    fortycal_sig
    Yeah, a trace amount--like I said, original formulation. ;)
  • Jim 2012/03/14 14:59:00
    Jim
    No but I am concerned with the government and the media being in league with the healthcare industries obsession with studies. Not a day goes by were some kind of study isn’t released warning us of our bad habits. The problem is that the media is promoting these studies as scientific fact, which in reality they are not fact as they are only indicators of some form of possiblity. It looks all too much like a form of social engineering to me.
  • mountai... Jim 2012/03/15 13:43:04
    mountainman
    And isn't it funny that the pharmaceutical companies are throwing their wonder drugs out to the public, the commercials having a softspoken disclaimer at the end of each one on TV warning of the dangers and side effects of the drug, now class action lawsuits, but California is worried about the color of their coke. LOL
  • thetacat 2012/03/14 13:17:29
    thetacat
    not if they're changing it lol
  • Chris 2012/03/13 20:34:51
    Chris
    Too bad hippies. I like my soda.
  • Realistic 2012/03/13 17:16:02
    Realistic
    I don't drink the garbage; However, doesn't the FDA and these food and drink manufacturers realize that if they kill us with the toxic consumptions eventually no one will be alive to buy their poison? What in the hell is going on?
  • Diddley Squat 2012/03/13 16:10:55
    Diddley Squat
    Can't live without it.
  • Mark Mercer 2012/03/13 14:45:42
    Mark Mercer
    I plan to get my cancer elsewhere
  • M'lud 2012/03/13 14:01:19
    M'lud
    Stick with beer. It's safer.
  • cybernestical 2012/03/13 13:46:59
    cybernestical
    +1
    Don't drink, buy or sale. We don't need soda.
  • Eccles 2012/03/13 13:02:56
    Eccles
    seldom drink that stuff.
    Another way for the left to control everything we do.
  • Sandman366 2012/03/13 12:07:51
    Sandman366
    Pills that lower cholesterol give you Alzheimer's, and help like, 3% of people.

I'll take cancer over that. At least there's time. With Alzheimer's....wait, what was I talking about again? (:P)
  • QueenOfUniverseNataliaRoschina 2012/03/13 07:18:41
    QueenOfUniverseNataliaRoschina
    +3
    Yes, those drinks should be banned. They don't just cause cancer, they build nuclear power plants to run Coke vending machines in Japan. and the bottles pollute the environment as they create trash. People need to get more educated, and not buy those drinks for kids or drink showing a BAD example. By QUEEN BEE corporate crime coke
  • Dzeeng 2012/03/13 07:17:13
    Dzeeng
    do not drink are afraid of
  • ShamshirMkII 2012/03/13 05:18:28
    ShamshirMkII
    I'd still love chugging down a liter of ice-cold soda once a blue moon :D
  • Holmes 2012/03/13 01:58:55
    Holmes
    +1
    I haven't drunk any soda I a long time, I've only drunk water and some sweet tea.
  • Ian 2012/03/13 01:48:10
    Ian
    +1
    Take reasonable precautions and don't worry overmuch.
  • The Bee Guy 2012/03/13 00:14:06
    The Bee Guy
    +2
    The caramel color is the least of your worrys if you are drinking modern day soda. The GMO modified High fructose corn syrup,or even more serious DIET SWEETENERS are far more deadly. Concerned about hydrofracking? Forget it! Nothing in the hydrofracking process even comes close to the dangers of Genetically Modified Plant matter in our food chain. IS FOUND IN MOST SOY, AND CORN PRODUCTS. Read the labels...
  • Realistic The Bee... 2012/03/13 17:31:03
    Realistic
    +2
    Exactly! A lot of people do not realize how dangerous fake sugar is. The body is not designed to process it. Our bodies need a certain level of natural sugar and salt. The human body reacts to fake sugar as an enemy. When the enemy enters, the organs go into overdrive to attempt to expel it. The attempt to expel the enemy leads to organ damage or a cancer conversion. The sad reality is most of our food supply is contaminated because of financial greed. "Organic" is labeled on food that is grown or prepared the way it is supposed to be. The fact of the matter is all foods should be organic.
  • cjet Realistic 2012/03/13 21:25:35
    cjet
    I agree. The sad part is that people are so misinformed and/or just don't care because they feel they can't do anything about it. Look at the top vote leader "Everything gives us cancer." Some of us have the wrong mindset to begin with. Many people don't realize our governement is in bed with the industry because of the money. The answer, however, isn't to get rid of our governement, but to stop the money offered to it by lobbying. It's the food industry who is trying to push us to get rid of the regulations that protect us.
  • joey 2012/03/12 23:05:28
    joey
    nope, people don't care about what's healthy anymore. besides things like this happen all the time nowadays.
  • Hopscotch 2012/03/12 23:00:44 (edited)
    Hopscotch
    It's a little too late now, after a life time of me drinking both of the two colas.

And I was going for a worlds record too. Both in drinking the most colas and living the most years. Oh well...."NOW you tell me"?. Thanks.......Maybe next time.
  • Flyingbug 2012/03/12 22:13:34
    Flyingbug
    Not too worried--I will eventually die of something. And there is so much that is allegedly cancer-causing that I would have to be a hermit to avoid them all.

Soda, like all other things, can be enjoyed in moderation.
  • cjet 2012/03/12 22:00:04
    cjet
    +3
    4-methylimidazole.... ok, but what about the Tartrazine, Bisphenol and other crap? Their reason for changing the formula isn't for our health, but so they can get around a label? That tells you they don't care about the consumer; just their money. I stopped drinking soda for years now. I don't miss it at all.
  • Requiem 2012/03/12 21:47:58
    Requiem
    Don't care. I still love pop. I'm cutting back drinking it, but it's still delicious.
  • wpsark 2012/03/12 21:43:56
    wpsark
    +1
    nothing's good for you in excess..If I ate 1000 things of broccoli in one day then I'd probably get cancer of some sort or just die from over eating. Grrrrrrr at all the Warning labels, my GAWD this gov't is pathetic!
  • bill g wpsark 2012/03/12 22:50:46
    bill g
    +1
    Back in the 70's there was a photo of a young woman surrounded by 1000 cans of Diet Pepsi ( I took that photo ) it was to demonstrate how much Diet Pepsi you need to drink a day to get cancer. Took over 90 min to get all those cans around her, took twice as long to get her out.
  • wes 2012/03/12 21:36:27
    wes
    Already don't drink it for health reasons and feel a lot better without it!!
  • Hard Tymes 2012/03/12 21:20:00
    Hard Tymes
    The only real cancer the American people need to worry about is Bastard Islam trying to move their demonic cancer cult into the USA! As far as the Coke or Pepsi goes, I'll have my Colt 45 Room Temp please!
  • David M... Hard Tymes 2012/03/12 21:44:56
    David Menorath
    +1
    Keep that Colt 45 and surely you'll use it on yourself... You should learn about Islam before saying anything about something you know nothing of. Brother think before you speak please.
  • Angela 2012/03/12 21:10:06
    Angela
    Update on Pepsico..the Obama team has deemed Pepsico's usage of aborted fetus cells as flavor enhancers, business as usual and well within the law. This is not a joke..this is real, I am boycotting Pepsico as of now, and Pepsi has always been one of my favorite drinks..up until now that is. I think this abomination takes priority over the possibility of cancer causing agents in said product line. Freaking Obama..this man is a complete inhuman beast..the scum of the earth. Every day I learn something new and something atrocious about this baphomet hand sign throwing occultist ho. Gender confused peice of you know what. Ugh!! Possibly 4 more years of this pile of excrement..Omg.
  • Tori 2012/03/12 21:05:11
    Tori
    Like the article said, "you would have to drink 1,000 cans of soda a day to reach the level linked to cancer in rodents." And since rodents are way smaller than humans, I'm not worried about it at all.

2014/10/26 07:57:15