Clothing vs Status: Do you judge people differently by their clothes?

W_C 2009/04/04 00:12:01
Yes. Choice of clothing affects my opinion of someone and their status.
No. Choice of clothing has no affect on my opinon about people I see or meet.
One of the first impressions you get about someone is how they look- their clothes, shoes, hair etc... And, even if you claim it doesn't, this always affect your judgment about people. When someone speaks, your impression may change. However, I want to talk about your impressions of people and the correlation to the clothes they wear.

Be honest now... do you judge people differently if they are wearing really nice clothes, versus being dressed casually? What about people who wear clothes that are too small or too big?

Leave your opinion! =)

• CornerBlitz 2009/04/04 00:15:15
    CornerBlitz
    +5
    I think everyone does to a point.

• JK 2009/11/24 03:45:55
    JK
    I make effort not too judge or perceive. People are more important to me than what they wear for clothes.
  • <--That guy 2009/04/27 17:59:46
    <--That guy
    To an extent. I'm not quick to judge people's character by what they wear, but I can make a pretty good estimate of their SES based on how they're dressed.
  • Cat 2009/04/21 03:21:09
    Cat
    i'm sure a lot of people do..
    if they dress slutty then i will assume they're pretty slutty and/or preppy.
    if they dress in all black then i will assune they're more rebellious and quiet (or crazy, is goes either way).
    it doesn't mean i assume they're a bad person or anything though, i just assume their social status.
  • sky blue pink - American 2009/04/20 12:19:06
    sky blue pink - American
    I don't have room to judge people on their choice of clothing. As long as they are comfortable is all that matters.
  • punkrockprincess6568 2009/04/18 20:12:51
    punkrockprincess6568
    no i don't but usually i'm the one being judged.
  • ika-chan 2009/04/17 20:54:36
    ika-chan
    Clothing is just a thing. You can't , no, shouldn'd judge someone on how they dress. Someone could look all scary and mean, but turn out to be the nicest person ever.
  • keesta 2009/04/10 00:36:50
    keesta
    No But by character and Political view because im very consevative
  • Poopsy 2009/04/08 21:27:47
    Poopsy
    a little bit, but not a whole lot
  • cincin88 2009/04/08 14:50:56
    cincin88
    +1
    there is a women in our town who wears slacks, or jeans, a t-shirt, and at times a sweater over it. her hair is always in a pony tail, no make-up, and tennis shoes. She has more money than anyone around here! you would never know she had a dime till you go to her home, which is lovely, but still not as big as she could have! she is happy to be wealthy, but she doesn't flaunt it! i like her!!
  • ninibear 2009/04/08 04:31:24
    ninibear
    nope! hey dont judge a book by its cover!!
  • Petpeve 2009/04/08 01:58:02
    Petpeve
    I almost said no, but had to change because I saw a young teenage girl at K-Mart dressed in black/gothic and stopped to thank God that neither of my daughters went through a phase such as this.
  • Rose(The Threat Is Real) 2009/04/07 23:48:42
    Rose(The Threat Is Real)
    I could careless what you wear unless your not naked :disturbing: well depending who you are.
  • Bill 2009/04/06 20:24:08
    Bill
    My answer is half true, I think you can kinda judge someone's status by how they are dressed but not al-
    ways. I reserve judgment on people by how they treat me,
    not how they look. Looks can be deceiving and action speaks louder than words. Even though I say I don't judge,
    I tend to not trust anyone until they show their intentions.
    I haror no ill feelings for any living being, til they show me
    I can trust turning my back to them.
  • youkoxkuronue2006 2009/04/06 13:43:51
    youkoxkuronue2006
    mostly yes because it may say how their personality is and how they keep themselves up
  • Zimbabwe 2009/04/06 13:05:29
    Zimbabwe
    +1
    Which one is the millionaire?
    We all make visual assumptions, even if we don't like to admit it!

choice clothing affects opinion status millionaire visual assumptions admit

if you guessed the middle one, your correct
  • mcrfan4life 2009/04/05 20:42:47
    mcrfan4life
    Its more the attitude they have lol
  • big di 2009/04/05 15:46:08
    big di
    Status, no, opinion, DEFINITELY. But anyone who doesn't at least dress cleanly and neatly, and appropriately for what they are doing, and bathe and maintain proper hygiene, is NOT someone I want around me.
  • carrot big di 2009/04/05 18:39:56
    carrot
    i totally agree with you. they are ok unless they just stop caring about their hygiene and if their clothes are waay too dirty to be wearing anymore or if its totally off for what they do...
  • Poppins 2009/04/05 15:37:35
    Poppins
    Not really unless you're standing at a freeway exit begging for $$$$ and in some cases they're faking being poor and after a days beg they change clothes and get in their new car.
  • J.Switchblade*Mrs.Punk Zombie* 2009/04/05 15:00:17
    J.Switchblade*Mrs.Punk Zombie*
    I would've really liked to say no to this, but I like to be as honest as possible. Sometimes it does affect the way I look at people.
  • 1oct1 "Marko" 2009/04/05 14:06:37
    1oct1 "Marko"
    OK I'll be honest...I can't stand seeing overweight people in spandex or really tight cloths. But that doesn't give me a opinion on them accept that they are comfortable with themself. I have to meet them before I form a opinion.
  • Mindy 2009/04/05 11:07:53
    Mindy
    Just a little maybe. In a way i don't care about what they wear, but i think clothing does reflect a little about a person. if I think someone has a "Bad Taste" , that doesn't mean I don't want to get to know them better.
  • ImgonaluvAztroBoi4eva 2009/04/05 10:16:10
    ImgonaluvAztroBoi4eva
    I love casual dress, jeans etc. so I wouldn't judge someone for casual dress. Some of the most interesting people can be dressed like hobos.
  • Racquel 2009/04/05 08:14:26
    Racquel
    Depends. Is it a doctor? Banker? Daycare worker? or just someone you're hanging out with?
    Depends on the context of where they are & why they are there.

If they come in for a job interview or to perform surgery looking like this...... banker daycare worker hanging depends context job interview perform surgery
    I don't think I'd say no........
    Usually it doesn't matter as long as your pants are pulled up and not arounf yout knees!
  • Cfossedal 2009/04/05 07:12:56
    Cfossedal
    I don't make a judgment about the person's rights or soul, but about inferences and such.
  • lawguilford 2009/04/05 06:55:08
    lawguilford
    i wear mostly cheap stuff that i just throw on to go somewhere, and i hope im not judged for that, cuz i dont judge people for what they wear!
  • Manwë 2009/04/05 06:54:21
    Manwë
    There are people who dress to impress... and they do positively or negatively. There are some who only care about being comfortable, count me among them.
  • HeliAce 2009/04/05 05:35:54
    HeliAce
    I normally tend to notice people that dress as if they are in a gang, dress like they are suicidal or homicidal, or if they dress like a punk that wants anarchy.

Hmm... Normally gives me a negative opinion about them.
  • DemonKiTTiE ♥ In MUSE I Tru... 2009/04/05 05:05:37
    DemonKiTTiE ♥ In MUSE I Trust ♥
    I at least try not to let it. I can be hard sometimes. Sometimes you miss the chance to meet someone who could be your next best friend if you snap to judgment so I try not to.
  • Lenore 2009/04/05 03:42:33
    Lenore
    +1
    I believe a persons "choice" of clothes reveals something about their personality, perhaps even their wealth, but never anything about the goodness of their soull. Until a person "speaks", you pnly see the dark side of the moon!
  • Wiston 2009/04/05 03:41:47
    Wiston
    I do my best to not judge people by what they wear, but I do tend to judge someone by how they wear thier clothing.
  • Scott 2009/04/05 03:11:59 (edited)
    Scott
    I tend to judge businessmen by their shoes. I know it may sound crazy, a well kept pair of nice, italian leather shoes vs. scuffed up shoes from Penny's lets me know who I'm dealing with. Go ahead, call me a snob.
    S Ferragamo shoes Pictures, Images and Photos
  • ctuagentdown 2009/04/05 03:05:11
    ctuagentdown
    it seems the wackier they are dressed the more they have going for them
  • GONE4GOOD 2009/04/05 03:04:46
    GONE4GOOD
    i love to wear my comfy and sometimes bohemian attire to neiman marcus while i am out running around doing errands and you should see the looks till i pull out my card and then the staff treats me wonderful. i know a man that owns a bank that usually wears jeans and a jean jacket with boots. just goes to show you can;t judge by that. staff treats owns bank wears jeans jean jacket boots judge
  • FencerCat 2009/04/05 03:03:29
    FencerCat
    Okay, casual versus designer doesn't matter to me. I have seen people on the red carpet on TV, going to some awards show that I think look hideous. Or they're nicely dressed and I think, "wow couldn't they have combed their hair?" and it's some expensive style. Yeah, if someone is messy and dirty and smells bad, I'm going to be a little more heisitant to approach them. But expensive doesn't impress me if I don't like it or if it doesn't look right on the person. Yeah, I judge that to an extent, mainly to think I wouldn't wear whatever it is. But I don't shun people based on their clothes. I do hate some of the styles, particularly for men that are out there right now. It's just one of those things that you make a mental note of, and then move on. I'd rather get to know what a person is like by talking to them.
  • Truthfinder 2009/04/05 02:41:37
    Truthfinder
    Cothing can say something about a person's status and/or self-image. But, I shouldn't put much stock in the judgements I make when I first meet a person because I am often wrong.
  • Moderated 2009/04/05 02:26:58
    Moderated
    I have rich (I mean *really* rich) family where all their taste is in their mouths. Tacky. No fashion sense whatsoever. But I guess they don't feel the need to TRY and impress anyone because they got what pretentious folks wish they had. lol
  • KaylieAnn 2009/04/05 02:23:50
    KaylieAnn
    To a certain extent.
  • Arky in Y'shua 2009/04/05 02:15:54
    Arky in Y'shua
    Everybody, it seems, is looking for ways to judge others less worthy than themselves. Seldom have I lately heard fashionably dressed people give honest compliments to anyone who is not dressed as fashionably as themselves.

I am no lowlife, but I could not give two hoots about what's in fashion. If Tommy or Calvin want me to advertise their name, they need to be ready to pay ME! So, if you are going to judge me unworthy because I am not displaying such a name, then I don't think you are really much worth knowing.

While what you wear may effect my opinion of you at first impression, I am always open to seeing who you are, and leaving first impressions behind, if need be. I would much rather rave you up after getting to know you a little better.

There are exceptoins; the first is kind obvious.
    I just can't get past thinking something is wrong with someone who wears punky clothes and all kinds of piercings. The second, though, might surprise some people - if you are dressed just to impress, and you are shallow and/or using foul language, I might not say it where you can hear it, but you definitely get my downrave. Wouldn't wanna be ya!
    .
  • Ally5644 2009/04/05 01:30:00
    Ally5644
    +2
    You Can't Judge a Book by the Cover

2014/04/24 19:31:35