City Planner Says Walking Is the Key to Saving Cities: Do You Enjoy Walking More Than Driving?

tentmaster 2012/12/20 19:00:00
Related Topics: Walking, Driving, Future
Yes, we all enjoy driving around while listening to our favorite tunes, but has walking become a lost ritual?

GRIST.ORG reports:Urban planner Jeff Speck's Theory of Walkability posits that cities designed for people, not cars, will be centers of growth in the 21st century.
jeff speck

Read More: http://grist.org/people/foot-forward-walkability-i...

• Walt 2012/12/19 21:42:51
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    Walt
    +5
    Walking is great, however many cities not on the east coast are not equipped with sidewalks. Walking in such places is a good way to get run over.

• La 2013/01/15 00:59:53
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    La
    But it depends on how far you're travelling....
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2013/01/03 20:23:03
    No, driving is quicker.
    MOMMA THOMAS
    LIKE TO DO BOTH.....DEPENDS WHERE I AM, OR WHAT NEEDS TO BE DONE AT THE TIME.
  • CAPISCE 2012/12/26 16:22:30
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    CAPISCE
    I like driving as well
  • Navin Johnson (The Jerk) 2012/12/26 15:58:05
    No, driving is quicker.
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    i do agree that walking is better for the enviroment and people,but i still like driving better lol. my friend though,couldn't walk a block to the gas station,he drove there,i'll walk short distances anyway.
  • jmc07806-PWCM-JLA 2012/12/26 14:22:08
    No, driving is quicker.
    jmc07806-PWCM-JLA
    It does depend on the purpose. Are you going back and forth to work or walking for pleasure.
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/12/26 13:27:19
    No, driving is quicker.
    Elaine Magliacane
    I'm old and VERY, VERY slow these days.... walking is a PAIN for me so I avoid it.
  • bb4ever 2012/12/26 13:25:38
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    bb4ever
    I don't even own a car. I walk everywhere I need to go, unless there is severe weather, but I like it that way.
  • Azrael Wolf 2012/12/26 11:58:12
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    Azrael Wolf
    I am an avid believer in natural methods Walking everywhere I go!
  • roxy902 2012/12/26 09:21:52 (edited)
    No, driving is quicker.
    roxy902
    +1
    Hurts my legs, hurts my feet, get tired extremely fast, dont get to relax, takes longer, and i just hate walking.
  • JCLadybug 2012/12/26 04:13:56
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    JCLadybug
    +1
    I like the idea of living close enough to walk to a grocery store, market, restaurant, etc. However, I also like to have a little more privacy so it is a toss up here for me.
  • ZB 2012/12/26 03:31:30
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    ZB
    But you're not walking from my house to anywhere. Nearest town is 6 miles. I live over 15 miles from an actual city. Car required to really get anywhere for my family.
  • Nomad58 2012/12/25 22:48:44
    No, driving is quicker.
    Nomad58
    +1
    City Planners are idiots. Business works on time and appearance.
    If you are late and sweaty due to running across town no one cares
    how are huffy & puffing though your presentation because you're green.
  • Rave Nomad58 2012/12/26 18:46:22
    Rave
    The point is creating cities in which walking and public transportation are easier, buildings and businesses are located closer to one another, a 'neighborhood' or community will have all the stores and needs of the people near by, space will be used efficiently rather than having everything insanely far away from one another.

In the future, this won't be a choice, if you haven't noticed the population is growing massively, in 50 years there will not be that many people living outside of cities, this means cities will need to be more efficient or people will be spending hours waiting in traffic lines just to go to the store. It's important for people to keep up with the times and realize it's not always going to be how it is now.

I don't see why anyone would be running and sweating going to work, I walk to uni everyday and I'm not sweating when I get there, I leave early to make sure I have plenty of time to get there without having to rush or risk being late.
  • Nomad58 Rave 2012/12/26 20:09:11
    Nomad58
    Oh yes, population growing out of control; man must move to cities with high rise dwelling complexes to control the effect on the environment and free up more farmland for food production.

Heard it 50 yrs ago and the projections were false then and they remain inaccurate now. The population fanatics claim 3% growth by extracting war deaths (unfortunately a fact of life), while the true growth is slightly above 1% and dropping rapidly.
    http://www.census.gov/populat...

Sorry, but whenever central planners start claiming they have a better solution then you should gather your deeds, call a good lawyer, and watch your wallet. City Planners are only used by a community which has too much money or has a committee too stupid too their job. If your city/town hires one, vote your mayor/city counsel out of office.
  • Rave Nomad58 2012/12/27 08:38:51
    Rave
    Urbanization is happening rapidly, meaning more people from rural and smaller town areas will find themselves living in cities which are more packed. This has been happening for over 50 years and continues to happen, and in the future, as the life expectancy grows and cities become even more popular, there'll need to be more efficient methods to get around.

Already, for the first time in our history, most of the population of the world lives in cities, all research shows this will continue to increase in the future. The rate of urban population growth is by around 60 million per year.

'City planners' might not be the solution but a solution has to be found for this unique future issue regardless, at least we need people thinking about solutions in case all the studies prove accurate.

We could leave it as it is, and then in 50 years have a very bitter population stuck in traffic living in inefficient spaces, having to leave hours early to get to work on time or walking miles to the store and gas prices being up the roof (As more consumption means eventually less resources, and high demand for a hard and expensive product to come by means higher prices) etc.

It might not effect us so terribly in our life time, but have to think of the future too. There's nothing terrible about trying to better our system as it is.
  • Nomad58 Rave 2012/12/27 13:37:36
    Nomad58
    Rave, all it takes to be classified an urban area is a population of 50K; therefore, growth of sprawling towns and suburban developments outside your cities are the growth arenas you claim as growth of metropolises.

Yes, the small farm community is dying, but that is due to more efficient and productive agricultural techniques and spreading communities offering more profit for the land than farmer can earn in a decade. Not using available land is ridiculous and moving everyone into a confined area is an excellent means to initiate and spread a plague. BTW, non-urban areas did grow modestly from 2000 to 2010.

But that's okay, you must have the right idea if the UN is also behind it. Do you think the UN was talking about the U.S. with a nationwide road system or some place like third-world nations?
  • 001 2012/12/25 19:04:07
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    001
    Walking is as nice as the weather. Driving is mostly a way to get from A to B, unless you have a convertible (or for the fans, a classic car).
  • Christopher Kirchen 2012/12/25 15:45:54
    No, driving is quicker.
    Christopher Kirchen
    +1
    And taking public transportation. I couldn't get to work in a timely manner without the bus and the train.
  • Ameera 2012/12/25 11:58:47
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    Ameera
    +1
    wish i could walk more, but everything is too far from my house
  • Marcus Clark 2012/12/25 11:50:07
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    Marcus Clark
    +1
    This really isn't an either/or issue. Walking and driving both have their place.
  • QueenTycie 2012/12/25 10:13:39
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    QueenTycie
    +1
    Walking is better cause at least your lungs get benefit, driving just destroys your lungs cause your adding to the fumes and pollution in the air and too many people are getting lazier and dont want to walk, walking does us all some good.
  • 001 QueenTycie 2012/12/25 19:07:53
    001
    Reminds me of an old comic..

A woman asks her husband for the car keys because she has to go to the store.
    "Hey, why don't you just walk to the store? The weather is great!"
    "Yes I know, but I don't want to breathe in all the exhaust fumes..."
  • Andre 2012/12/25 05:38:30
    No, driving is quicker.
    Andre
    +1
    I spent an extended time in a country where the car is the "bad" guy and where they promote (and force) walking. I am ble to tell you: it s.cks. It is great when one does it voluntarely for entertainement but try to walk daily 25 minuter one way with, for example a laptop and lunch, to the office. I had to do it, wore out a pair of shoes a month and hated every step of it after a few weeks.
  • Navin J... Andre 2012/12/26 16:00:02
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    they force walking? screw that! i like having a choice here
  • Andre Navin J... 2012/12/28 14:21:16
    Andre
    That's the socialist regime in Europe, big brother, lack or no choices abd, naturally lots of taxes ro support lazy bums
  • Debra Smith 2012/12/25 03:01:49
  • dani 2012/12/25 00:22:44
    No, driving is quicker.
    dani
    I do walk too.
  • Rodrigo 2012/12/24 20:12:01
    No, driving is quicker.
    Rodrigo
    Definitely NO!!!
  • Flamingolady 2012/12/24 15:31:35
    No, driving is quicker.
    Flamingolady
    We live in a suburban area that used to be rural. Nothing was ever planned for convenience, closest gas station about 5 miles away, grocery at least 2 miles away, and no shopping within 2 miles. When I was young enough to walk distances, there was NOTHING within a 15 mile radius. The area has grown, but I have grown older so it is not possible.
  • Rave Flaming... 2012/12/26 18:48:26
    Rave
    A lot of people live like that. City planners are trying to change the situation making space more efficient, so that people don't have to go miles to the store etc. It'll really come in handy in the future.
  • nerak611 2012/12/24 07:45:45
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    nerak611
    Not to mention the health benefits!
  • marty 2012/12/24 04:16:00
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    marty
    Even though I have to drive for work, I like to walk if places are nearby or time permits.
  • Magical Mushroom 2012/12/24 02:25:14
    No, driving is quicker.
    Magical Mushroom
    riding gif
    or
    riding gif
  • Jim Magical... 2012/12/26 00:53:52 (edited)
    Jim
    +1
    Wow, hard start for a kid's first real bike ride! My Dad gradually raised the training wheels up so I could feel for the center of gravity without falling over. Eventually, as the training wheels were raised higher, I was able to find that middle balance and didn't need the training wheels any longer.

hehehe... back in the day, there was no such thing as bicycle helmets for kids!
  • JGF 2012/12/23 23:37:35
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    JGF
    +1
    I average about five miles per day and about once a week go twelve to fifteen miles. (Never understood people who will get in their cars and drive four blocks ...to a gym!)
  • Sara Cupcakes 2012/12/23 23:33:02
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    Sara Cupcakes
    +1
    I walk everywhere....
  • middlesex1957 2012/12/23 21:56:29
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    middlesex1957
    +1
    I said yes because I love to walk. However, my spouce and my 2 adopted children (now adults) are in wheel chairs. They can't walk. Before I became disabled I could not afford to walk because I had so little time for everything that I had to get all the places I was required to be as fast as humanly possible. Walking is still a luxury for the able bodied and those who time is their own. If you have to work for someone else to make a living walking isn't something available to you.
  • Onew Sangtae 2012/12/23 21:22:04
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    Onew Sangtae
    +1
    Depends on where and for what purpose.
  • Resp 2012/12/23 05:12:35
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    Resp
    Oh sure! Let's walk through the streets in New York late at night! I'm dying for a great concussion.
  • unreligious 2012/12/23 04:12:40
    Yes, walking is a great experience.
    unreligious
    While I walk a lot, I ride my bike even more. Takes me an hour to ride to work. Cars are too much hassle. There's the traffic and finding a place to park. Having to get gas and they always seem to break down in inconvenient places. Although I guess no where is really convenient to break down. I guess the closest was once as I was pulling into a gas station (in the days when most were still gas/service stations) and the hose burst and poured boiling water onto the floor of the car. No longer own a car and feel free at last.

2014/12/20 08:47:38