Cincinnati Closer To Lifting Ban On Pit Bulls. Do You Think Cities Should Adopt Breed-Specific Laws For Vicious Dogs?

Tigger Too 2012/04/25 22:18:25
Yes, aggressive dog breeds should be outlawed.
No, any breed of dog can be vicious.
Vicious Dog Ordinance Would Be Breed-Neutral

Cincinnati is closer to making its vicious dog ordinance breed-neutral by removing all references to pit bulls. The city banned the dogs 11 years ago, but supporters of the breed said pit bull attacks are the result of bad owners who are attracted to a specific type of dog. "Vicious dogs are not breed-specific," said Vice Mayor Roxanne Qualls.

A City Council committee voted to remove pit bulls from the vicious dog ordinance, but it must still be approved by the full council. The change has the support of the SPCA, which said the previous ordinance was flawed from the beginning because it's nearly impossible to determine which dogs are actually pit bulls. The new standards call for stiffer penalties against owners of any dogs that bite people.

DO YOU THINK CITIES SHOULD ADOPT BREED-SPECIFIC LAWS FOR VICIOUS DOGS?

• Shae 2012/04/26 16:24:45
    No, any breed of dog can be vicious.
    Shae
    +8
    It is absolutely ludicris for anyone to judge a dog based on their breed.
    I agree that people need to be informed on the correct way to raise a dog, but I also feel that way about children.

Large dogs are strong. You have to be a strong person to handle one (personality over physical).
    Its only prejudice that helps these claims.

10 years ago golden retrievers were being overbred and were having temperment problems.... were goldens banned? No, because they are viewed as the "family" dog.

I myself have a siberian husky and they are labeled on the dangerous dogs list.
    As stated by the ASPCA the temperment of a husky is:
    loving, good with children, easy to care for since they do not eat alot, overly intelligent and horrilbe guard dogs..... this puts them on the dangerous dog list.

in the 70s it was rotweilers  in the 80s german shepards

• Tigger Too fairief... 2012/05/13 21:21:50
    Tigger Too
    +1
    Our vet told us to give Winnie chlorophyll tablets, because that would make the poop unappetizing to her. It didn't help. In fact, she, being the perverse little beast that she was, not only continued snacking on her dog-doo, she got even worse. I guess she thought the chlorophyll made her feces taste even MORE delicious. Yummy. [haha]
  • fairief... Tigger Too 2012/05/13 21:47:50
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    +1
    Ugh, a lot of stuff that's supposed to help animals with this problem or that doesn't work. They gave us stuff to put in Scrappy's dish once to help with his breath. Dogs aren't stupid. Both dogs refused to drink from the dish.
    When they were younger my mom got this stuff you rub on the furniture to stop chewing. She put it on the wooden arm rests of these chairs we had....the dogs went nuts chewing them up after she put it on. I swear they loved the taste of that stuff.
  • Tigger Too fairief... 2012/05/14 22:00:37
    Tigger Too
    +1
    Yes, I've found that dogs can be VERY contrary animals. Yet for all the trouble they can cause, they give us unconditional love and loyalty. There's a good reason that dogs are called "Man's Best Friend!" [Speaking of chewing, our sweet Winnie never did outgrow gnawing any anything and everything she could get her teeth on! Once, my sister was moving into her own apartment, and she had a couch and loveseat delivered to our house. The furniture was sitting in the basement, still covered in plastic and waiting for my sister to move it. Long story short, Winnie got into the basement and chewed the arms off of both of them. My sister loved that dog like she was her own baby, and I guess that was a good thing. Almost anybody else would've killed her!] We DO love our dogs, don't we?
  • fairief... Tigger Too 2012/05/14 22:12:43
    +1
    Yeah, can't imagine life without them.
    Scrappy still gets himself in trouble with chewing...especially socks and tissues (ew).
    My dogs have both done things that would have gotten them killed if I didn't love them so much. lol
    They can get away with more things from me than I will allow from any human. Humans don't have the cute and loyal factor to fall back on.
  • Tigger Too fairief... 2012/05/14 22:38:47
    Tigger Too
    +1
    That's true, and besides, dogs can't talk back to you like your kids do! Also, the memories they leave behind when they're gone are priceless. I agree that chewing tissues is pretty bad. My niece's pit bull likes to eat panties and soap, in that order!
  • fairief... Tigger Too 2012/05/15 00:22:17
    I could swear my cat has "talked back" to me before...lol
    Doggies don't :)
    Haha panties and soap....
  • Shrinking Violet 2012/04/25 22:54:42
    Shrinking Violet
    +1
    pit bulls were bred to be dangerous and aggressive. i have been intimidated by large dogs while running in the park many times, and it makes me angry that i cannot feel safe in my own city.
  • Opinion... Shrinki... 2012/04/26 02:45:11
    Opinionated...Oh Well!!!
    +2
    For one Pit Bulls were not bred for being aggressive...they were bred for the protection of the household of the wife and children while the men where out hunting or away at war in England. They are actually rated one of the best family dogs around and chihuahuas are actually more aggressive to people because they are a one person owned dog they just dont get a huge rap when they attack people because they are small. Also where the hell are you running at for one where dogs are off their leash and two if you are so intimidated quit running in that area and go to a gym or get a tread mill at home!!
  • Tigger Too Opinion... 2012/04/26 20:48:38
    Tigger Too
    I'd also like to know where the vicious dog-filled neighborhood is that this person must jog through every day. They make it sound like The Hound of the Baskervilles is prowling around, chasing down unsuspecting humans, 24/7/365! Almost every community has leash laws, and where I live, these laws are strictly enforced. If somebody notices the same dog(s), no matter what its size or temperament, following them along their jogging path every day, then instead of being terrorized by the beasts, they should call the local Animal Control Officer.
  • Opinion... Tigger Too 2012/04/26 23:21:23
    Opinionated...Oh Well!!!
    +2
    AMEN!!!!! I think this person is just a little paranoid but that is to be expected when you dont have the knowledge on certain things and dont feel the need to really learn. You stay scared and you blame other things for it.
  • Shrinki... Opinion... 2012/05/01 04:47:01
    Shrinking Violet
    +1
    Oh, yeah. I'm just ignorant and paranoid. Pit Bulls make up less than 5% of the US dog population, but were responsible for 71% of dog-bite fatalities in 2011. Many of the victims were family members/owners.
    http://www.dogsbite.org/dog-b...
  • Opinion... Shrinki... 2012/05/02 00:21:08
    Opinionated...Oh Well!!!
    +1
    boo whoo whoo If you actually took the time like you did to find this crap maybe you could find the actual reasons why pit bulls were bread. And the only reason why they are so depicted as bad and dangerous dogs is because of all the publicity from idiots that put them in dog fights because they fight to the death. a lot of dogs do that if you make them that way. And also I wasnt just calling you ignorant or paranoid I was speaking in general towards a lot of people because they dont or wont take the time to actually understand an animal before they judge it. I mean look at tiger attacks at a zoo for instance...a lot of people say well its a tiger of course it would attack but then you have the others try and say well that shouldnt have happened because they are in captivity so they are being fed so why would they attack? sdlfjgkjsd;lkfgjl;sdjfg
  • Shrinki... Tigger Too 2012/05/01 05:28:45
    Shrinking Violet
    +1
    there are laws, but they aren't enforced very well where i live, apparently. and i don't know where these people live, or who they are, so reporting them hasn't gone too well. it was not in my neighborhood, it is a wildlife park, with no large native predators. it does not happen every day, just three or four times, so there is no predictable pattern. one was a huge dane, about as tall as me. another time, it was four bulls, all off the leash. but, incidentally, i do have a neighbor who was badly bitten by a pit bull in my neighborhood, and the owners didn't even pay his medical bills. he was an elderly gentleman, just walking around the block.
  • Shrinki... Opinion... 2012/05/01 04:15:30 (edited)
    Shrinking Violet
    +1
    DON'T YOU DARE TELL ME WHAT TO DO. i'm not going to hide in my house because some idiot has bought herself four huge threatening dogs and wields them like a gun. my neighbor was mauled by a pitbull while walking around our neighborhood several years ago. he paid his own medical bills. i hear about these attacks in the news all the time. 4-5 million Americans are bitten by dogs every year according to the CDC.
  • bricklyn Shrinki... 2012/04/26 06:39:26
  • Tigger Too bricklyn 2012/04/26 20:57:55
    Tigger Too
    A close family friend has owned and operated a professional dog grooming business for many years, and he said that the breed of dog that's bitten him way more often than any other is -- wait for it -- THE COCKER SPANIEL!
  • Shrinki... Tigger Too 2012/05/01 04:26:53
    Shrinking Violet
    +1
    and how many fatalities have resulted in cocker spaniel bites? oh, that's right - none.
  • Jazzy Shrinki... 2012/04/26 17:46:47
    Jazzy
    +1
    Has anyone ever told you not to be afraid because animals can sense your fear???? If you are jumpy because of one dog, even a chihuahua could scare you.
  • Shrinki... Jazzy 2012/05/01 05:16:18
    Shrinking Violet
    +1
    my neighbor has a chihuahua. its a brat, but should it ever bite me, i would definately survive. i also do not exhibit fear when a large dog passes by. i was taught not to over twenty years ago. i simply have a valid concern that i could have my throat ripped out. the sentiment on this thread is typical of pit bull owners. they never believe it could happen until it does.
  • Jazzy Shrinki... 2012/05/01 14:38:39
  • Opinion... Shrinki... 2012/05/02 00:25:14
    Opinionated...Oh Well!!!
    +1
    First off it doesnt just happen there are reasons for it like beating a dog or putting it in a corner to where it feels threatened. You said you saw a Dane that was as big a you right? That breed of dog can do the same if not more to hurt or kill you then a pit bull
  • Tigger Too Shrinki... 2012/04/26 20:38:36
    Tigger Too
    +2
    The next time the Westminster Kennel Club holds its dog show, watch it for awhile. The commentators describe each breed of dog, what they were bred for, and their history and characteristics unique to the breed. You'll be surprised at how many dogs have been bred to be aggressive in nature, for protection and for hunting. It's not fair to preemptively ban ALL pit bulls, because they're mostly sweet-natured and well-behaved dogs who are loving companions for their owners. Thanks for your comments, Shrinking Violet!
  • Shrinki... Tigger Too 2012/05/01 05:16:03
    Shrinking Violet
    +1
    i have. i love many types of dogs, especially border collies. my neighbor has a pitt bull mix, and she says that he is sweet. they may mostly be sweet-natured and well-behaved, but there are frequent attacks reported in the news. and yes, there are other breeds that are quite dangerous, like rottweilers. thanks for being the one person to give me a civil reply. Tigger Too :)
  • Opinion... Shrinki... 2012/05/02 00:30:23
    Opinionated...Oh Well!!!
    +1
    Dont you realize the news is going to report attacks from pits because they are the number one stereo typed dog right now.... thats like calling the kettle black! My pit was the most wonderful dog I could have ever have had over my wife's dog which is a pug. I miss him terribly but I know that where he is at on a ranch he is living a wonderful life. Also when you hear of these attacks what are most of the owners like when they speak about them? 9 out of 10 are ignorant dog owners who bread them to be agressive.
  • Rebecca 2012/04/25 22:54:19
    Rebecca
    +1
    It's not the dog's fault they were not trained well. That being said, perhaps breeders need to tone down the aggressiveness of some breeds. I know it may dilute the breed specifics, but it's better than having people hurt and dogs being put down and the need for this kind of law.
  • Tigger Too Rebecca 2012/04/26 21:04:11
    Tigger Too
    +1
    If pit bulls are raised to be mean, then they will be vicious. If they're raised as members of the family, then they make great pets and loving companions for their owners. Thanks for your comments, Rebecca, and have a beautiful evening, my friend!
  • Rebecca Tigger Too 2012/04/26 23:31:13
    Rebecca
    +1
    I live in an apartment/condo complex and they allow pit bulls here. For the most part the pits are the best behaved and sweetest dogs here. BUT, we have a few that we are having problems with. Guess what, the owners of those pitties are just as much a problem as the pit. You have a good eve too, Tigger.
  • JohnT 2012/04/25 22:52:54
    JohnT
    +1
    Yes it should be looked at real well. With 327 deaths of humans by dogs and over 800,000 serious dog bites a year (the 800k required treatment) I personally think people need to be licensed to own them Not the dog the person. That way we know who owns it they have to go through training, and the revenue goes into animal control Something goes wrong we have a person who is criminally prosecuted and the dog destroyed.
  • Jazzy JohnT 2012/04/26 17:48:29
    Jazzy
    +2
    that wouldnt really work because the ones that are training them to be aggressive wouldnt give a sh*t about what laws or anything else that got put in place. Only the ones that truly love their Pitts would have to deal with something so foolish.
  • Tigger Too JohnT 2012/04/26 21:07:58
    Tigger Too
    While all those suggestions may be valid, the issue at hand here is communities who have breed-specific laws, such as Cincinnati's ban on pit bulls, which are unfair and unfounded. Pit bulls are being declared guilty before being proven innocent. Thanks for your response, JohnT!
  • 4dc 2012/04/25 22:47:03
    No, any breed of dog can be vicious.
    4dc
    +1
    number one dog likely to bite? mixed breed mutts...closely followed by German Shepherds, Rotties, and dobies
  • Chanch 4dc 2012/04/26 00:27:50
    Chanch
    +1
    Statistically, the number one most agressive dog in the US is the rotweillers. They are guilty of more vicious attacks then ANY other dog. Number two is the pit bull. But the pit bull does Far more medical damage then any other. Number three is the doberman. Number four[distant] is the German Sheperd, Number five is the collie. I bred dogs for yrs. These are the national statistics according to the SPCA.
  • BabyBear Chanch 2012/04/26 02:10:37
  • Chanch BabyBear 2012/04/26 02:32:15
    Chanch
    +1
    No. Not statistically !! The most agressive are as I stated. SPCA and AKC.
  • bricklyn Chanch 2012/04/27 03:13:43
    bricklyn
    +1
    Do some research, you are absolutely wrong.
  • 4dc Chanch 2012/04/27 01:27:59
  • Chanch 4dc 2012/04/27 01:35:35
    Chanch
    +1
    My opinion stands. I have experienced way more than most being a dog breeder at one time. They are very unpredictable by nature.
  • bricklyn Chanch 2012/04/27 03:12:54
    bricklyn
    +2
    I think you have done very little research!

Dog Bite Study

You may or may not have seen the dog bit study that was done by a University of Pennsylvania researcher. If you haven't, then you may be surprised at the top three dogs that are the biggest and most common to bite, and it wasn't the American Pit Bull, Rottweiler, or German Shepherd Dog.

Dachshund
    Chihuahua
    Jack Russel Terrier

It appears that the study covered just over 3,500 dogs and tested them for aggression vs humans, their owners, and other dogs. According to the numbers, over 50% of Dachshunds showed some type of aggression.

There are several different ways the data could be interpreted, and different routes that we can take. The one that comes to mind first is to take the "mad mommy" route and ban all Dachshunds, Chihuahuas, and Jack Russels before they do any harm. But, that sounds pretty ridiculous if you ask me, especially considering we're talking about such small breed dogs. But, if you think about it, if larger breeds were found on the top of the list, the "mad mommies" would all unite and have them banned universally.

Another route, is to just ignore the numbers and chalk it up to a small sample size or something saying that the research didn't have a clue about proper testing methods. We can conclude...

Dog Bite Study

Dachshund
    Chihuahua
    Jack Russel Terrier

Another route, is to just ignore the numbers and chalk it up to a small sample size or something saying that the research didn't have a clue about proper testing methods. We can conclude that it was all a mistake.

But, in total, nearly 20% of the dogs showed some form of aggression. 4.4% showed aggression to strangers. 1.9% toward their owners, and 13.5% showed aggression toward other dogs.

Summarized from the "Fear the Dachshund" by Brent Toellner from the American Pit Bull Terrier Gazette; Volume 33, Issue 1; Fall 2008

Dogs are generally friendly to strangers, with 95.6% of dogs being kind to strangers. No single breed had the majority of its dogs show aggressiong toward strangers. The breed with the highest aggression toward strangers was the Dachshund with 20.6%, Chihuahuas at 16.1%, and the Australian Cattle Dog at 9.6%.

No breeds were prone to bite their owners. Beagles had the highest aggression toward their owners at 7.9%.

Looking at dog aggression to other dogs, this was found to be a little rare. About 86.5% of dogs showed no signs of aggression to other dogs, which is odd considering one of the biggest myth about "pit dogs" is that they are naturally dog aggressive. Over 2/3 of the Pit Bulls in the study never showed any aggression to other dogs. Dachshunds, on the other hand had 30.3% aggression to dogs, and Jack Russels had 30.8%, making the Dachshund and Jack Russel Terrier the most dog aggressive dogs according to this study.

But, in general, about 29% of dogs had some kind of incident, including Dachshunds (25%), English Springer Spaniel (24.6%), Australian Cattle Dog (24.3%), Chihuahua (21.4%), German Shepherd (20.9%), Wheaton Terrier (20.4%), Boxer (20%), and the Border Collie (17.8%).
    Results

So, what does the study say and confirm?

In spite of what media reports would like you to believe, most dogs are not by nature, naturally aggressive. In fact the vast majority of dogs are not aggressive at all, and the vast majority of all breeds are not aggressive.
    All dogs can be aggressive if certain instances present themselves, either through lack of socialization, environment, or other learned instances.
    Dog VS dog aggression is far from a "unique" Pit Bull characteristic and can carry across all dog breeds.
    If we're ever going to get the very root of aggressive dogs in the country, we're going to have to quite pretending this is a breed-specific problem, and educate and demand that all dog owners take responsibility for the training and behavior of their dogs because until then, people will continue to believe that their breed isn't the problem.
  • Jazzy 4dc 2012/04/26 17:49:50
    Jazzy
    +3
    Not true! The number one dog to bit is a chihuahua. They have found that mixed breeds make for a more stable and controllable dog because they are not being over bread or cross bread.
  • 4dc Jazzy 2012/04/27 01:34:21
    4dc
    +2
    thank you

2014/09/01 11:52:31