Christine Bolden, Michigan Woman, Gives Birth To Twin Boys While In Coma Due To Brain Aneurysms

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/04/22 19:09:10
A 26-year-old woman killed by a brain aneurysm, delivered twin boys at a Grand Rapids hospital.

VIDEO:
http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/muskegon_county/Mothers-...

• Nameless 2012/04/22 19:24:16
    Nameless
    +4
    I know I am going to catch a lot of flack for this - but sometimes medicine interferes where it should not. The mother died and a month later doctors delivered 25 wk old fetuses... Sometimes things are just not meant to be - but because we cannot face it and have the ability to defy death in some instances, we do so. The fetuses should have been allowed to die with their mother. It was not meant to be.

• Goroth 2012/04/24 20:04:23
    Goroth
    +1
    That is sad. :(
  • Fran-Halen 2012/04/23 06:18:25
    Fran-Halen
    +2
    That is tragic. I hope the efforts to keep the babies alive succeed.
  • beach bum 2012/04/23 04:23:30
    beach bum
    +1
    wow...what a challenge the medical experts faced in this field of science
  • Robert 2012/04/23 00:13:10
    Robert
    +1
    Oh my god that's horrible! she must have woken up after, right?
  • Robert Robert 2012/04/23 00:14:42
    Robert
    +1
    I should really start reading the whole post before commenting or giving an answer.
  • YOMOMMA 2012/04/22 21:30:36
    YOMOMMA
    +1
    Oh my gosh!I hope the twins live. What a shame this happened.
  • Vinny 2012/04/22 20:41:46
    Vinny
    +1
    Wow that's just to much and to sad poor family having to deal with that!! R.I.P Christine Bolden
  • Honeybuns 2012/04/22 20:02:24
    Honeybuns
    +2
    Oh gosh bless her soul. Those babiest where a miracle. And they will live on for their mother. I know she would be proud. :)
  • bricklyn Honeybuns 2012/04/23 13:01:08
    bricklyn
    +1
    It is not a miracle it is medical intervention.
  • Honeybuns bricklyn 2012/04/23 16:43:32
    Honeybuns
    Oh ok.
  • Alice Evie 2012/04/22 19:57:23
  • Nameless 2012/04/22 19:24:16
    Nameless
    +4
  • Pat Nameless 2012/04/22 20:18:37
    +1
    I'm not sure that any of us can really say what was meant to be or not be. Lots of people are saved now whereas they would have died years ago. But our medical technology has progressed and we can use it now where we couldn't have before. If these babies survive, and that seems to still be in doubt, these doctors will have saved two lives. I can't really argue with that myself. We're all humans and, as such, we instinctively try to do whatever we can to survive. It it works in this case and the babies are healthy, it will have been worth it in my opinion. But, I can certainly understand your point of view too.
  • Bibliop... Nameless 2012/04/23 01:31:03
    Bibliophilic
    "God, he could have took her and the boys," said Danielle. "But he left the boys. That's a miracle."

I disagree, her family members certainly seem thankful.
  • bricklyn Bibliop... 2012/04/23 13:03:18
    bricklyn
    Thankful, yet who pays for the medical expenses? What are the long term out look for the twins as well. They are rarely what you might expect for premmies born that young.
  • bricklyn Nameless 2012/04/23 13:01:48
    bricklyn
    I totally agree. Medical intervention is not always a good thing.
  • Beccy 2012/04/22 19:23:31
    +3
    wHAT A sad story. Seems like the twins will be miracles if they make it.
  • bricklyn Beccy 2012/04/23 13:03:54
    bricklyn
    +1
    That is not a miracle that is medical intervention.
  • Brandi Angela 2012/04/22 19:23:17
    Brandi Angela
    +4
    That is kind of creepy but at the same time wonderful, oh the wonders of modern science and technology. Science and technology that was able to keep this woman's body alive because without it she would have physically died as well. Like I said kind of creepy. Imagine 10ish years from now. "Daddy, what happened to mommy?" "Well son, she had an aneurysm and technically was dead but the doctors were able to keep her alive long enough to give you and your brother a fighting chance." "So mom was technically dead and we were still living inside her" "well yes." I see intensely long therapy sessions in these two kids future.
  • Beccy Brandi ... 2012/04/22 19:25:30
    +3
    If they make it because they are very small. and if the are not developmentally disabled due to coming way too soon
  • Brandi ... Beccy 2012/04/22 21:36:17
    Brandi Angela
    +2
    Not necessarily. I was going to recount a story about my friend who's son was born around 25 weeks and he is almost going on 2 now, he is tiny for his age and will likely have a slight learning disability and that is really all but I remembered these are twins so they are smaller than a single child born at 25 weeks. It also depends on how well equipped the hospital is to deal with premature babies that young. Hopefully they flew them out to a top rated hospital for premies.
  • Beccy Brandi ... 2012/04/23 00:42:48
    I hope also that they make it and are healthy. Don't mind me I am a social worker and can be jaded at times.
  • Brandi ... Beccy 2012/04/23 00:47:42
    Brandi Angela
    +1
    I hope so too, no one likes to see anyone suffering. Like I said hopefully they are being taken care of by an awesome medical staff and hopefully they won't have any serious developmental problems.
  • Shawna 2012/04/22 19:23:09
    Shawna
    +3
    How heartbreaking.
  • TasselLady 2012/04/22 19:15:21
    TasselLady
    +4
    I'm glad the babies are ok. That's so horrible about the mother though. My thoughts and prayers go out to her and her family and friends.
    In memory
  • bricklyn TasselLady 2012/04/23 13:05:08
    bricklyn
    +1
    The babies are not ok.
  • Tamsen bricklyn 2012/04/23 15:10:32
    Tamsen
    Most premies thrive now days. These little boys are God's children! Those of u who say otherwise shame on u! My son weighted 2 lbs when born with his intestines on the outside, he is now 14 yrs old and has a 186 IQ
  • bricklyn Tamsen 2012/04/25 02:28:34
    bricklyn
    If you say so, it is very easy to brag on the internet.

The truth is that most premies do not thrive well at all.

Moderate prematurity

"Moderate prematurity refers to babies who are born between 28 and 32 completed weeks gestational age with a birth weight range between 1000 and 1500 g (between about 2 lbs 3 oz and 3 lbs 5 oz). About two-thirds of these premature babies will develop normally. Another 20% will have mild or moderate disabilities, and about 15% of these babies will suffer from severe disabilities.

The more premature the birth within this category, the higher the incidence of long-term problems. But even younger and sicker babies within this age group are at minimal risk, unless they had severe growth delay in the womb, show signs of brain damage on a head ultrasound, or have severe lung damage. And even some premature babies with these risk factors turn out fine.
    Extreme prematurity

Extreme prematurity refers to babies who are born before 28 completed weeks gestational age with a birth weight of less than 1000 g (less than about 2lbs 3oz). Many of these babies, especially those born around 25 weeks or less, will not survive. In this category as a whole, only about one-third of surviving babies born extremely prematurely will grow up normal. Another third will have mild...

Moderate prematurity

Extreme prematurity

Extreme prematurity refers to babies who are born before 28 completed weeks gestational age with a birth weight of less than 1000 g (less than about 2lbs 3oz). Many of these babies, especially those born around 25 weeks or less, will not survive. In this category as a whole, only about one-third of surviving babies born extremely prematurely will grow up normal. Another third will have mild or moderate disabilities, and about one-third will have severe disabilities.

It should be noted that within this group, those born at 28 weeks are less likely to have disabilities than those born at 25 weeks or less. When babies are born this early, every extra day inside the womb reduces the risk of long-term problems in a significant way.

While the vast majority of deaths due to prematurity are now prevented, the survival rate for extremely premature babies born at a gestational age of 25 weeks or less remains at about 50%. Additionally, of those extremely premature babies who do survive, about half will have a disability of some kind, often severe."

http://www.aboutkidshealth.ca...
  • TasselLady bricklyn 2012/04/23 21:03:04
    TasselLady
    Well hopefully they'll be ok and get better. Many premature babies survive and eventually live normal lives. Haven't heard anything since. Was at work all day today.
  • bricklyn TasselLady 2012/04/25 02:29:28
    bricklyn
    +1
    Certainly we all do, but the odds are definitely against them.

2014/09/01 21:04:26