Christians: do you think that you don't deserve Jesus' gift of salvation?

Anthony Souls 2012/04/06 01:32:31
You always hear Christians stating that they don't deserve the salvation from Jesus Christ, and that they aren't worthy of Him dying for our sins.

In part, I agree that Christians are saved by Jesus Christ dying for their sins, and that we don't deserve it since we sinned and couldn't remain perfect: Jesus didn't have to die for us; however, I also am getting tired of hearing Christians stating that they don't deserve being saved through the deeds of Jesus Christ, because it seems like a slap in Jesus' face. Jesus thought we deserved to be saved, because Jesus went through hell and back, through this world's sins, and came through wanting us to be for him and not forever tormenting in Hell. If Jesus thought that we didn't deserve his gift, than He wouldn't have gave a gift that holds all value.

For instance:

Jesus would never call anyone worthless, that's an abomination, but for the sake of this example, keep that in mind that I am not stating that Jesus would actually do this:

1. I can't see Jesus doing this: You are worthless, yet, I am going to give you this most precious gift that you don't deserve: that just seems absurd to me.

What do you think?

• ddanielsmith 2012/04/09 03:55:28
    Don't deserve it
    ddanielsmith
    Jesus loves the sinner, but hates the sin. I think that is why it's important not only to believe in Him and accept His gift of salvation and plan for us, but to try our best to stop sinning. I don't think that I deserve His gift and it breaks my heart to disappoint the People that gave me and everyone else life. But, Our personal beliefs are not important. This is the plan that was chosen by God, and God's plan is always perfect.

God Bless,

Devin
  • Anthony... ddaniel... 2012/04/09 04:17:02
    Anthony Souls
    Thanks for your response.

The reason I asked this question is because I find it incredibly annoying that people say that they don't deserve the gift of Jesus dying for our sins, yet take the gift, anyways. It almost feels as if they are slapping Jesus in the face for dying for their sins, if they think he died for someone who didn't even deserve it in any way: obviously God thought we deserved redemption if He gave us His only begotten Son. It doesn't make any sense to me, whatsoever. It's like saying that you are worthless in a way, which is an abomination to God.

I can see how people can say that we don't deserve the gift of Jesus before Jesus was given to us, but after he was given to us, we have to choose to accept Jesus, we have to choose to follow Jesus, we have to choose to live the life Jesus has set out for us: doesn't that merit deserving the gift in some way?

Christians are always acting like they are worthless, which is an abomination to God: God made everything, so nothing is without worth; the bible even states that it's an abomination to call someone worthless. Therefore, I just don't understand Christians. Of course you have worth,

Take care,
  • Jo 2012/04/06 16:49:59
    Other(Explain)
    Jo
    When I hear Christians say this, I think it is just a reminder that salvation is a gift. No one can do enough to earn it nor is righteous enough to deserve it. But this does not mean that we are worthless- each of us is valuable to Jesus - Jesus loves each and every person and takes delight in us! That is why we can walk in joy and confidence in His promises!
  • hari 2012/04/06 12:03:40
    Deserve it somehow, because Jesus gave it to me.
    hari
    well fully deserve
  • jackolantyrn356 2012/04/06 04:04:19 (edited)
    Don't deserve it
    For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God.No you deserve Hell and nothing more. The point of thr Christiasn is to throw all ourselves on the mercy of God, to believe, hope and beg without hope and to cling to Him when there is no Hope of Clinging. It is that unusual relkationship that at Death;'s door you continue in no matter what you see coming at you. Jesus is on the other difde awaiting you.
  • Anthony... jackola... 2012/04/06 05:49:15
    Anthony Souls
    That is the very opposite of how God is; God and Jesus wouldn't want you to beg without hope: you, indeed, should have hope and faith and reverence for God and Jesus and The Holy Ghost; and Jesus sacrificed himself for a purpose, because he Loved us and wanted us to be for him and have salvation. I don't think Jesus would needlessly go to hell, if we were not worth it. The Bible says not to call anyone worthless, because it's abomination to God.

In any event, those are my thoughts: take them or leave them.

Thanks for your reply :) Take care,
    Don't deserve it
    "Lord I am not worthy"
  • Anthony... Sister ... 2012/04/06 01:46:37
    Anthony Souls
    See, that makes no sense at all: Jesus gave you the gift, therefore you must be worthy of it on some level. Jesus wouldn't give someone a gift that didn't deserve it. It annoys me greatly that people state that they don't deserve a gift Jesus gave them, but take it anyways: just absurd to me.

But hey, that's me. Thanks for the response.

2014/11/23 16:14:06