Choosing the sex of your baby has become a multimillion-dollar industry. Would you pay to choose the sex of your baby?

ANGEL 2012/09/16 17:29:05
Other thoughts...
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_exam...

This article tells the story of a couple who went to great lengths (and expense) to have a baby girl.

According to that article "The American Society for Reproductive Medicine says it’s concerned that
gender selection is leading otherwise healthy women to undergo
unnecessary medical procedures." Furthermore, "They fear these
children would be pressured to live up to the stereotypes of the gender
that was picked out and paid for by their parents." With regards to the couple in the article, after all of their efforts, I thought it would be rather ironic if that baby turned out to be gay! (LOL)

Many people feel that Mother Nature should choose the sex of your baby. Others feel that this should be left up to God. I don't think that Christians would support such a procedure. Those involved in Scientology would leave it up to the individual. I don't know where other religious groups would stand on this issue - but I wouldn't be surprised if it was not condoned.

Would you pay to choose the sex of your baby?

• SA 2012/09/16 17:40:10
    SA
    +3
    I was blessed to have the ones I had. I would never pay to have a certain gender.

• KrisD87. 2012/10/06 17:35:22
    KrisD87.
    +1
    just leave it the way God intended.
  • Bibliophilic 2012/10/02 02:52:44
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    I most likely don't want a kid, and if I did I would most likely opt to adopt. So... when parents adopt aren't they choosing the sex of the baby?
  • ANGEL Bibliop... 2012/10/02 14:25:11
    ANGEL
    It's different as their sex is already determined by nature. Its different than making it in a petri dish.
  • Bibliop... ANGEL 2012/10/02 15:54:22
    Bibliophilic
    +1
    Yeah... although some parents do claim that they only want a child of a particular sex. Personally, neither sounds appealing to me- if I wanted to raise a child I would be more concerned with the baby's health- than their biological sex.
  • ANGEL Bibliop... 2012/10/03 03:12:56
    ANGEL
    Good point!
  • FortunaVeritas 2012/10/02 02:38:14
    FortunaVeritas
    +1
    I find wanting to do so to be immoral.
  • Kibbles 2012/09/18 19:33:14
    Kibbles
    +1
    Leave it to chance. Besides If I have a boy good, he can be my "champ" and I can teach him how to be a good man and be strong, if I have a daughter good, she'll be the apple of my eye and I'll protect her and scare her boyfriends. Honestly I wouldn't be put out by having either or.
  • Bibliop... Kibbles 2012/10/02 21:13:59
    Bibliophilic
    You'll teach your kids to confirm to traditional gender roles? Oh... I see.
  • Kibbles Bibliop... 2012/10/03 19:42:48
    Kibbles
    The boy will always be my champ, with whatever lifestyle he chooses, doesn't mean I'll teach to be any less of a good man. The girl can do likewise only thing is it will make it impossible for me to scare her dates on the first meeting, it wouldn't be right to intimidate girls.
  • Greatkibble 2012/09/17 12:48:48
    Greatkibble
    I wouldn't - but I wouldn't make fun or put in a 'homo' joke in such a topic if I were you....
    It's all up to those who want to go ahead in such things.
  • ANGEL Greatki... 2012/09/18 14:22:10
    ANGEL
    I did not intend to poke fun at gays. I thought it would be ironic if, after all their efforts the child turned out to be gay. That was not a derogatory statement about gays - just about the irony. However, you are right that this is a very serious topic and those parents were obviously desperate for a girl - and making light of that was probably inappropriate.
  • Dryth 2012/09/16 19:54:58
    Dryth
    +1
    I honestly don't know... I would really love to have a boy first because they're easier and I think it's good for a girl to have an older brother rather than a boy have an older sister, they just tend to get along better. I can't make up my mind weather I'd be willing to CHOOSE. :(
  • sickofpolitics 2012/09/16 19:37:28
    sickofpolitics
    +1
    I was happy with the two beautiful children I have. I will not circumvent God's plan and that includes the sex of a baby I would have.
  • SA 2012/09/16 17:40:10
    SA
    +3
  • ehrhornp 2012/09/16 17:38:15
    ehrhornp
    +2
    This would not be good for society as a whole.
  • ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/09/16 17:31:01
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +1
    But I do not need to worry about that anymore.

2014/04/23 09:49:58