Chili's server fired over Facebook rant: Fair or Foul?

★~DoctorWhoGuru~★ 2012/06/24 23:14:43
Chili s server fired over Facebook rant

Read More: http://www.dailydot.com/society/chilis-server-fire...

• addie 2012/06/25 01:20:38
    Fair
    addie
    +4
    A server, publically threatening to spit in food, using the company's name?? Yes, fire that jerk!!
    As an aside...the tip is up to the tipper! and they are not owed.
    Sometimes a waiter is not too good.
    Some people are cheap or just do not have the money for a huge tip.

----if a person is given, very little, for a lot of work...and cannot take it, they should get another job and it should not be with the public!

• Joann 2012/06/26 01:42:09
    Foul
    Joann
    +1
    Gah, i meant Fair
    Fair
  • Mark 2012/06/25 15:54:15
    Fair
    Mark
    +1
    On these sorts of things I always think what would I have done if one of my guys had done something similar. I think I would have bollocked him and given him a warning, but not sacked him.
  • Gothpirate 2012/06/25 15:28:56
    Foul
    Gothpirate
    +1
    The majority of people are idjits and its not like the customers are going to see her particular facebook and assume it was them.
  • ChrisK1969 2012/06/25 11:55:46
  • beach bum 2012/06/25 10:12:25
    Foul
    beach bum
  • Mikel_mad2002 2012/06/25 08:37:16
    Fair
    Mikel_mad2002
    +1
    That was a silly thing to do even if the customer was a cheapskate
  • ChrisK1969 Mikel_m... 2012/06/25 11:57:12
  • Jo ChrisK1969 2012/06/26 03:09:16
    Jo
    the server DID do something---she put a nasty post on facebook; venting without thought to the consequences is childish and irresponisble.
  • Marcus Clark 2012/06/25 07:20:19
    Fair
    Marcus Clark
    +3
    She was totally stupid to make that post, (as are many people who display their entire life on FB - or SH - like it is their personal private diary.)

Regardless whether the threat was serious or not, she stated it publicly. That is a liability for her employer. Also the attitude behind the post reflects badly, not only on her, but on her employer. They were absolutely right to fire her. They would have been foolish not to.
  • Marianne 2012/06/25 04:07:13
    Fair
    Marianne
    +2
    I understand that they fired an employee emitting threats and insults against clients over a public site.
    Though it is not sure that she would have really done it, her employers could not take the risk. On the other hand, low income and insufficient tips are not motivating.
  • BloodlessVeins 2012/06/25 02:27:19
    Foul
    BloodlessVeins
    +1
    Where else is she supposed to vent?
  • ChrisK1969 Bloodle... 2012/06/25 11:57:46
  • Jo Bloodle... 2012/06/26 03:09:45
    Jo
    verbally, to her friends, not publicly.
  • Bloodle... Jo 2012/06/26 20:41:03
    BloodlessVeins
    That might be true. I wonder if she had her leaderboard "public".
  • Jo Bloodle... 2012/06/26 22:40:17
    Jo
    the internet IS public:))
  • Bloodle... Jo 2012/06/26 22:52:12
    BloodlessVeins
    +1
    that is true. I guess my statement remains moot.
  • Glitchie 2012/06/25 02:20:01 (edited)
    Fair
    Glitchie
    +3
    I say this is fair because now Chili's would have to worry that this person would actually do this, it becomes a health issue since they threatened to spit in people's food, not just a PR issue with them threatening to spit in the person's face. Because of the threat to spit in their food, regardless of the reason, Chili's could get shut down for health violations if the server actually did it. Aside from that, employers DO look at your Facebook pages, so why would you post ANYTHING like this if you worked for someone? If you want to rant about something, do it on your private journal like LiveJournal, not Facebook.

If this person hadn't threatened to spit on people, or in their food, I could sympathize with them. I don't know how Chili's works, but I worked as a waitress for Johnny Rockets once, where I made $2.13/hr and had to rely on tips. I worked my butt off and I STILL didn't get but money to make the bank roll the next day which was $20, and gas for my car. I had one table that was like 20 people, and the guy gave me about a $40 tip mainly because he felt sorry that this one woman in his party would follow me back to the kitchens complaining about food other people had ordered, not her own order. However, the way JR worked, I had to pay for the food at the end of shift as we never went to the registers but to leave the orders, carrying our 'bank' with us till the end of shift. So, after paying for the food I served, that tip went back to the store.
  • ChrisK1969 Glitchie 2012/06/25 11:59:14
  • Glitchie ChrisK1969 2012/06/26 04:15:35
    Glitchie
    True, some people might, but like I said, Chili's as a company can't take the chance on might. They are a food service. Employers now ask you if you have a facebook page, and they will and do go look for it because it tells a lot about you.That is why you don't post something like that on facebook, but to a live journal instead, as it gets the same result you are talking of.
  • Paige 2012/06/25 02:12:27
    Fair
    Paige
    +1
    If she had just ranted instead of threatening to spit in their food, I might have had some sympathy for her.
  • ChrisK1969 Paige 2012/06/25 11:59:40
  • Ceri Cat 2012/06/25 01:58:41
    Fair
    Ceri Cat
    +2
    Freedom of speech doesn't really cover threatening behaviour (spitting in the face of another is assault under Californian law), threatening to contaminate another's food, or bringing disrepute to a business which she did as the fact of what restaurant was plainly visible in many of the screen captures done so definite issues involved.
    I don't agree with businesses routinely trawling staff's social media pages but in this case her being fired was probably only a matter of time if that attitude was reflected in her interactions with staff and clients.
  • ChrisK1969 Ceri Cat 2012/06/25 12:00:25
  • dennisg40 2012/06/25 01:45:41
    Foul
    dennisg40
    +1
    The sever should be glad he or she got anything. Remember a customer doesn't have to tip at all. If you were fool enough to include where you work then you deserve to get fired. I left a twenty five dollar tip on a $168 dinner this year at a Mexican restruant not because I could afford it but because I wanted to because the service was great. Did you give good service?
  • addie 2012/06/25 01:20:38
    Fair
    addie
    +4
    Sometimes a waiter is not too good.

• Pele Emerging 2012/06/25 00:12:09
    Fair
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    Many bosses follow their employees on Facebook. Even if you have your privacy set to 'friends' only, don't bet that someone won't show a rant to your boss. If you put it on Facebook, you've said it to the world. Next time, learn to keep your mouth shut. It makes me wonder if her own stupidity didn't earn her a low tip.
  • Rude 2012/06/24 23:57:42
    Fair
    Rude
    +1
    what you put on the internet with your name and picture attached is fair game that is why you'll never see my name or picture on here
  • MlssCue =Go Blue= 2012/06/24 23:55:42
    Fair
    MlssCue =Go Blue=
    +4
    Maybe if she were a good waitress to begin with she would have gotten more. However, with that attitude I highly doubt she was pleasant off top.
  • Just me ♥ 2012/06/24 23:48:56
    Fair
    Just me ♥
    +2
    If she wants to trash her company's name on the FB, she should make sure that her FB account is private and that she's not "friends" with her coworkers.
  • justnotsaying (: 2012/06/24 23:39:22
    Fair
    justnotsaying (:
    +1
    People need to realize that no one online really cares about their life or how they feel, but if they want to use the internet as a open diary...then so be it, but be prepared for the actions of it
  • Mark Mercer 2012/06/24 23:32:17
    Foul
    Mark Mercer
    +1
    The 'Chili's' franchise should have addressed the issue with the customer, or compensated the server. Mentioning the concept that they spit in the food is bad form. But you know it happens all the time with the underpaid. I never eat where I don't know the server and the cook's middle name....and I tip....
  • Jo 2012/06/24 23:28:27
    Fair
    Jo
    +1
    I totally understand how she feels ( I waited tables for years), but its now commonplace for people to either be terminated or disciplined for the crap they're posting on facbook, and the restaurant is justified in feeling the way they do about it. My employer has an entire panel of people that are referred to as "internet monitors" that do nothing but watch we put online in reference to either our job or anything that indicates sub-par character. This is the way that it is now--we simply cant continue putting whatever we want online without consequence.
  • Mark Me... Jo 2012/06/24 23:34:46
    Mark Mercer
    +2
    When treated well by an employer, and properly compensated, there are seldom problems.
  • Jo Mark Me... 2012/06/24 23:36:19 (edited)
    Jo
    not necessarily---there are TONS of people out there that are treated remarkably well by thier employers and still complain; I work with many of them. Besides, that has nothing to do with this.
  • Mark Me... Jo 2012/06/25 14:43:23
    Mark Mercer
    Compensation, ? If it has nothing to do with employment......I think there is another word for that...(and Abraham Lincoln put an end to that).
  • Jo Mark Me... 2012/06/25 18:50:56
    Jo
    treated remarkably well implies that the compensation is more than adequate; besides, if you're unhappy in your employment, nobody is making you stay there. If you dont like it, leave. Its as simple as that.
  • JohnT Mark Me... 2012/06/25 00:40:59
    JohnT
    +1
    I don't want to sound argumentative but what level of management have you been in? Having hired and fired many people during my career you get lemons right along with great employees. That young lady had zero excuse for going on the net and acting that way. Obviously she does not need the job, but needs a course in anger management.
  • Mark Me... JohnT 2012/06/25 14:40:21
    Mark Mercer
    +1
    I have worked at many levels of management, and been sent 'troublemakers' from other areas. Somehow I have had little problem, Most can make wonderful employees.
  • JohnT Mark Me... 2012/06/25 20:40:11 (edited)
    JohnT
    +1
    You said it right there, most not all. I will give you that there are variables and if she has worked for the establishment for a few years and this is a first offense, may want to look at it with a bit of latitude, but if second or third time bye bye

2014/11/29 08:44:12