Chevy Volt Follows Stupid 2012 with Stupider 2013

doofiegirl BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~ 2013/02/11 14:39:13
After a year that can only be described as “stupid,” the Chevy Volt is gearing up to make 2013 even stupider still.

I know, I know.

You find it hard to believe that a mostly-owned subsidiary of the United States government and the Obama administration- like GM is- could get any stupider than say Fannie Mae, or Federal Reserve Bank.

Yes, that’s tough competition, but in the “idiocy” category GM seems to be the ruling champion.

Not only have they lost substantial amounts of taxpayer dollars, they have managed to do it while generating record profits even though they still have an unfunded pension liability of over $100 billion. The pension liability is more than twice as large as the company’s current valuation on the stock market.

GM has now all but admitted that in it’s current iteration, the Chevy Volt- the car on which the company says it pinned all its hopes and dreams- is dead.

That could be a sign of progress, but alas, no. What is clear is sales are struggling, with the Volt reaching only 38 percent of its sales goal for 2012, despite incentives that make the Volt a loss leader amongst “green cars.” And if you thought sales were bad in the USA, they were even worse in Europe and Asia.

According to Greencarreports.com, “[j]ust 1,336 Volts found buyers outside the States during the portions of the year the car was on sale--against 23,461 in the U.S. Of those, 1,225 of them were sold in Canada. China and Europe together accounted for only 111 Volts.”

Remember: This was the European car journalists’ “Car of the Year” for 2012, which just goes to show you that Europeans feel about the same regarding their journalists and the Chevy Volt as Americans do about their journalists and the Chevy Volt.

So now GM’s plan is to make the Volt more expensive, because the Obama administration understands that richer liberals are just stupider with their money. Rich liberals went out and voted a tax increase for themselves after all, campaigned for it, embraced it; argued, in fact, that the biggest problem in all of the world is that the government doesn’t have enough of our money.

What better way to reward them then to figure out another way to fleece them out of more money that they don’t value?

But this time the fleecing will come with Onstar Navigation, leather seats and a dual DVD players. Maybe shortly they can come out with an Escalade version?

Like most government enterprises, however, GM has decided that it doesn’t want to completely ignore bilking the middle-class.

That why they have announced that the next version of the Chevy Volt is going to far cheaper. “Instead of shoehorning the electric powerplant into a conventional GM compact-car platform,” reports USAToday, “the next Volt will be purpose-built. That will allow the ability to better package the batteries and other specialized components, says Mark Reuss, president of GM North America. He spoke Wednesday night at Automotive News' World Congress here in Detroit.”

The result will be a car that’s more affordable for working class dudes like you and me.

I’m not exactly sure why they wouldn’t have made the car “purpose-built” in the first place to make it as affordable as possible.

But perhaps like the tax increase that was supposed to be aimed just at the rich, had we known they were going conjure up one “affordable” for all of us, no one would have voted for them.

Because no one was just itching for the payroll tax hike.

And I’m guessing that most everyone would agree that buying a $30,000 car that gets 35 miles between all-night, plug-in charges is just stupid.

Even for middle class liberals.

Read More: http://finance.townhall.com/columnists/johnransom/...

• chris 2013/02/27 18:04:49
  • AC Points 2013/02/14 06:27:23
    AC Points
    +1
    The author quotes greencarreports.com "China and Europe together accounted for only 111 Volts.” But, he fails to include a couple of sentences later where the article says: "In Europe, customers purchased 5,293 Amperas"

I figure he thought his audience was either too lazy or too stupid to go to the source.
  • T. Bejma 2013/02/12 13:34:18
    T. Bejma
    +1
    If the Volt is so bad why is it ranked the most loved vehicle?

"The Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid landed atop Consumer Reports' annual owner-satisfaction ranking for the second straight year."

"Ninety-two percent of responding Volt owners in a poll of the magazine's subscribers said they definitely would buy a Volt again, tops among 240 models, the magazine said today."

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/artic...
    Follow us: @Automotive_News on Twitter | AutoNews on Facebook
  • doofieg... T. Bejma 2013/02/12 13:36:50
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +1
    Haven't you heard ? They burn up a lot.
  • T. Bejma doofieg... 2013/02/12 14:44:19
    T. Bejma
    No, I have not heard. I know there was 2 crash test vehicles that caught fire two weeks after the test because the batteries were not discharged and disconnected like they are supposed to be after a crash. Do you have any real world data that shows that there has been ANY fires caused by Volts on the road? Last I looked, there were 0, but there were 250,000 regular cars that caught fire last year. Hmmmmm... What kind of car would I rather be in?
  • doofieg... T. Bejma 2013/02/12 13:45:14
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    Chevrolet VOLT Problems, 2012 Chevrolet VOLT Complaints - Page ...
    www.arfc.org/complaints/2012/... VOLT Problems. Read all problems & complaints filed for the 2012 CHEVROLET VOLT by CHEVROLET - Page 1.
    2012 CHEVROLET VOLT Problems & Complaints - Auto Recalls for ...
    www.arfc.org/complaints/2012/... 3, 2012 – CHEVROLET VOLT Problems. Complaint #10487226 filed for the 2012 CHEVROLET VOLT by . Information provided by the NHTSA.
    CHEVROLET VOLT Problems | iSeeCars.com
    www.iseecars.com/car-problems... up CHEVROLET VOLT problems based on current and past NHTSA defect investigations and CHEVROLET issued Technical Service Bulletins regarding ...
    2013 Chevrolet Volt Problems and Repair Histories
    www.truedelta.com/Chevrolet-V... out what kind of problems a 2013 Chevrolet Volt may have by reviewing 2013 Chevrolet Volt problems that other owners have experienced.
  • T. Bejma doofieg... 2013/02/12 14:46:10
    T. Bejma
    How about a live link?
  • doofieg... T. Bejma 2013/02/12 15:34:37
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +1
    Source Claims a Coolant Leak Is Likely the Cause of Chevy Volt Fires
    www.foxnews.com/.../source-cl... 6, 2011 – DETROIT – The liquid solution that cools the Chevrolet Volt's batteries is the likely cause of fires that broke out inside the electric car after ...
    Federal testers may have caused Chevy Volt fire, GM says ...
    www.nbcnews.com/.../federal-t... spotlight is on the Chevrolet Volt following word that one of the plug-in hybrids caught fire while being tested by the National Highway Traffic Safety ...
    Chevy Volt fires cause concern
    www.eetimes.com › EE LifeNov 15, 2011 – Consumer Reports reports there have been a pair of fires involving the Chevy Volt battery/electrical system. The first involves a Li-ion battery ...
    Another Electric Car Causes Fire
    www.breitbart.com/.../chevy-v...

by Seton Motley - in 708 Google+ circles - More by Seton Motley
    May 9, 2012 – Last week, a fire badly damaged the home of a new Fisker Karma owner, and authorities are saying that the electric car was the source of the ...
    Coolant likely cause of Volt fires, says AP source | The Car Tech ...
    reviews.cnet.com/.../coolant-... 7, 2011 – The National Highway Transportation Safety Administration has been investigating the Chevrolet Volt in response to a fire that started in the .. . For some reason, the llinks Never transfer live
  • T. Bejma doofieg... 2013/02/12 21:58:26
    T. Bejma
    The first article was about the crash test vehicles.

The Seton Motley article was a Fisker not a Volt.

The house fires involving Volt's were all attributed to something other than the car.

http://www.greencarreports.co...

And the conclusion by the NHTSA on the Volt fires...

"U.S. regulators, who ended their investigation yesterday into the Chevrolet Volt, said electric- powered vehicles do not pose a greater risk of fire than gasoline cars."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news...
  • T. Bejma doofieg... 2013/02/12 14:48:59
    T. Bejma
    The site you referenced shows there are NO recalls for the 2012 Volt...

http://www.arfc.org/removed.a...
  • ZB 2013/02/12 03:28:33
    ZB
    +1
    I'll keep my '05 Malibu. 223,000 miles and still running strong. Gets 30+ MPG, too.
  • Cat 2013/02/12 01:29:53
    Cat
    +2
    If any of you ever hear me say "I gotta have a Chevy Volt" ....... just shoot me.
  • Doc Freeman BTO-T-TB~pwcmjla~ 2013/02/11 21:22:22 (edited)
    Doc Freeman BTO-T-TB~pwcmjla~
    +1
    First I have a 1999 old Plymouth Voyager Van that only has a little over 77,000 miles on it. It cost around $17,000 when I purchased it new in 1999. It has never been in a wreck it sits in the garage and really looks brand new when washed. I am perfectly happy with my little van and see no reason to spend over $30,000 for something I cannot use. My round trip to my job was 96 miles every day; therefore I would not have been able to make it home every day. GM is really run by the most ill-advised people and they haven’t had a good idea in years. So the American taxpayer just got ripped off by the union which now owns GM. Just think if they had gone into bankruptcy to regroup I bet they would have gotten someone with some sense to run the company. Then all of us stock holders would not have lost our nest egg to the unions.
  • Ron in Oregon 2013/02/11 20:37:53
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    A minimum of 10 years to amortize the purchase of a hybrid, you decide.
  • Biki 2013/02/11 19:08:44
    Biki
    +1
    Excellent read Doofiegirl! You hit the nail right on the head! Wouldn't be caught dead driving either a volt or a Prius, the 21st Century's version of the Edsel.
  • AC Points Biki 2013/02/14 06:08:10
    AC Points
    Hmm ... comparing the Prius which has sold 3.5 million to the Edsel ...
  • Prime Time Lime 2013/02/11 18:38:12 (edited)
    Prime Time Lime
    I think if one does not want to buy a Chevy Volt because of price or GM,or politics,they can always buy imports like the Nissan Leaf.Right now many of these cars are very overpriced thus not practical.The better models are the ones that have both gas and electric called hybrids.
  • doofieg... Prime T... 2013/02/11 19:14:13
    doofiegirl  BTO-t- BCRA-F ~PWCM~
    +2
    You will never find me driving a tin ---I mean plastic---can! Give me a CAR!
  • Ron in ... Prime T... 2013/02/11 20:30:18
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
  • T. Bejma Ron in ... 2013/02/12 13:28:47
    T. Bejma
    Not if you go with the $299/month lease, then the cost savings start the minute you drive it off the lot. If you are one of the 75% of the US with less than a 40 mile round trip to work your daily commute will cost about $1.00 0 $1.50 (price to charge the Volt overnight in the midwest) compared to $3.00 - $5.00 in gas (depending on your vehicle).
  • Ron in ... T. Bejma 2013/02/12 21:37:57
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    Lets see i commute 18 miles to work then I drive another 40 miles related to work.
    Then I drive 55 miles back home, then another 55 miles back to truck.
    40 more mile related to work and then 18 miles back home.
    Most leases limit you to 10,000 miles per year.
    Not related to work I drive 45,552 miles per year.
    It appears that I am not in the 75% area.
    Anyway who in their right mind would lease a car.
  • AC Points Ron in ... 2013/02/14 08:13:39
    AC Points
    The camry hybrid I looked at this summer compared with a regular camry 4 cyl. would pay off in about 5.3 years using 10,000 miles per year and $3.50 per gallon for mostly city driving. 4.6 years at $4 per gallon ... and the hybrid was about 1 second quicker 0-60. If you do mostly freeway driving though the advantage is much less and the payoff is much longer.
  • T. Bejma Prime T... 2013/02/12 13:26:17
    T. Bejma
    +1
    The Volt does have gas and electric.
  • Ron in ... T. Bejma 2013/02/14 17:49:42
    Ron in Oregon
    +1
    You are right and the batteries come from South Korea, although LG had a plant to make them in Michagan, none have ever been made there.
  • Golden Panther 2013/02/11 18:15:51
    Golden Panther
    +3
    Another no brainer...if obumavich says it is good, it is even worse than bad, it is nefarious. When will we wake up to the putrid dogma of this most evil of all presidents?
  • Flamingolady 2013/02/11 17:14:36
    Flamingolady
    +3
    You got it right. The USA is now home of the stupid.
  • All American 2013/02/11 16:36:14
    All American
    +2
    Too funny, great article and spot on.
  • Philo® ~PWCM~JLA ✩ 2013/02/11 16:23:49
  • WF - Rumpelstiltskin -PWCM~JLA 2013/02/11 15:56:03
    WF - Rumpelstiltskin -PWCM~JLA
    +3
    First the Fed has forced GM to produce the Volt, but instead of focusing on the negative. Focus on the positive about the Volt. Although it did not sell great, it still out sold its competition the Nissan Leaf. We are not talking by a few, we are talking for each Leaf sold, GM sold 4 Volt's. Yet Nissan gets the pat on the back by the liberal media.
  • Doc Fre... WF - Ru... 2013/02/11 21:31:38
    Doc Freeman BTO-T-TB~pwcmjla~
    +1
    Nissan Leaf - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    With global sales of 49,117 units during its first two years in the market, the Leaf is the world's best selling highway-capable all-electric car ever.[6][7] As of December 2012, the top-selling markets are Japan, with about 21,000 units; the United States, with 19,512 units; and the European market, with more than 7,000 units delivered. Sales in Europe are led by Norway with 2,841 units and the UK with 1,334 Leafs sold through December 2012.

Reuters
    21,500 Volts that GM has sold since the car's introduction in December 2010. Nearly two years after the introduction of the path-breaking plug-in hybrid, GM is still losing as much as $49,000 on each Volt it builds, according to estimates provided to Reuters by industry analysts and manufacturing experts.
  • WF - Ru... Doc Fre... 2013/02/12 14:28:04
    WF - Rumpelstiltskin -PWCM~JLA
    +2
    Chevrolet Volt is only sold here in the US. Base on US sale the Nissan Leaf is a FAILURE. Now if you take only private sales and not government sales. The Nissan Leaf is a major Failure.
  • AC Points Doc Fre... 2013/02/14 06:13:37
    AC Points
    +1
    Amusing that you managed to find the Leaf Wikipedia page but not the Volt Wikipedia page.
  • cmdrbnd007 2013/02/11 15:44:49
    cmdrbnd007
    +4
    I can't understand why Chevy can't just call the Volt what it is and move on. Instead they continue pushing it like it's the best thing since sliced bread.
  • Jim 2013/02/11 15:43:22 (edited)
    Jim
    GM is infamous for profit-driven stupidity, with or without government meddling. Read John DeLorean's book, "On A Clear Day You Can See General Motors," to see what I mean.

GM could've made a basic electric car on a traditional 3-box layout that is handsome but unpretentious. GM could've laid off the techo-bullsh!te that eats up power and adds weight. But, they didn't. The Feds didn't tell GM to create something that an alienated teenage boy would've penned on notebook paper as his fantasy car.

Nope, the Volt is what corporatism and focus-groups have wrought. The Volt is the Vega on crack. IMHO, GM should've resurrected the early '60's Chevy II body, lightened it up, and put in a robust electric power plant like they did with the GM EV-1. Make gel-cell lead-acid batteries standard and offer only a few options like A/C, radio, and lithium ion batteries. Keep the soccer mom crap off and ditch the techno digital dashboard BS, too.

My idea would've yielded an electric car with a solid 100 mile range, easy to fix, cheap to buy, and better looking than anything else in the parking lot. You gotta admit, a Chevy II-based electric car looks better than the Volt or any other production electric/hybrid car on the road right now.
    chevy II
  • AC Points Jim 2013/02/14 06:17:14
    AC Points
    +1
    In the early 90s, I had a friend who converted a Datsun B210 to electric using golf cart batteries. It wasn't a thing of beauty and he really didn't take it on the freeway, but he was able to get a little over 40 miles on a charge.
  • Jim AC Points 2013/02/14 20:15:49
    Jim
    The GM EV-1 featured a synchronous A/C motor with a variable frequency inverter. The batteries' energy is converted to mechanical energy with high efficiency and with better performance. As the frequency increases, so do the RPM's. The electric motor on the GM EV-1 was equivalent to a 137HP motor.

No doubt your friend used a basic DC motor and controlled the current with a golf cart PWM controller. Very simple and reliable but, not nearly as efficient as what the EV-1 had.
  • Kiosk Kid 2013/02/11 15:40:40
    Kiosk Kid
    +2
    Many companies have made major mistakes. The ones that survive are the ones that figure it out and throw in the towel.
  • Chi~Cat 2013/02/11 15:32:50
    Chi~Cat
    +7
    Dumb and even dumber; next:

volt dumb car
  • Peewee ~PWCM~JLA 2013/02/11 15:31:08
    Peewee ~PWCM~JLA
    +4
    I would expect nothing less from our dear government.
  • gregory.brown.5030 2013/02/11 15:27:53
    gregory.brown.5030
    +5
    Let's see it's 38 miles to work, and 38 miles home.... HUUMMM I think i'll stick to my truck

2014/04/18 20:02:16