Chess: Neat or Nerdy?

The Big Question 2011/09/16 00:34:49
Related Topics: Chess

• don nh 460 2011/09/20 02:22:23
    Neat
    don nh 460
    Fun , and simple but you do have to think, NEAT.
  • Jdogg 2011/09/16 21:29:10
    Neat
    Jdogg
    Haven't played it in years
  • angelbaby 2011/09/16 21:14:40
    Neat
    angelbaby
    I love chess..
  • ~ Niyala ~ 2011/09/16 18:22:21
    Neat
    ~ Niyala ~
    Checkmate.
  • SocratesIII 2011/09/16 17:57:25
    Neat
    SocratesIII
    Hmmmn...I meet more Liberal Morons this way. Did you notice that the nerdy voters percentiles matched the die hard Rabid Liberal Moron numbers on these posts? lmfao percentiles matched die rabid liberal moron numbers posts lmfao Fisher and Spasky match
  • Willski 2011/09/16 17:43:02
    Neat
    Willski
    it's awesome. i'm terrible at it, but it's fun.
  • Frank 2011/09/16 17:37:25
    Neat
    Frank
    I like Chess, to bad I'm not very good, a very hard stragetic game....
  • hippydude126 2011/09/16 17:10:07
    Nerdy
    hippydude126
    i personallyt dislike it because i find it too complicated but i have absolutly nothing against anyone else that plays it!
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2011/09/16 16:39:27
    Nerdy
    MOMMA THOMAS
    NEAT, BUT NERDY.
  • themadhare ~IJM 2011/09/16 16:24:56
    Neat
    themadhare ~IJM
    +3
    so is Go

go game
  • Socrate... themadh... 2011/09/16 17:59:09
    SocratesIII
    +1
    Go is also one of my passions. I am ...as the saying goes...a long suffering student of both Go and chess lol
  • SCOOP--RIP, MY DEAR MAX 2011/09/16 16:23:27
    Neat
    SCOOP--RIP, MY DEAR MAX
    +1
    I have never played chess, and I would like to learn. I think it takes a lot of patience and intelligence to play this game.
  • Jenna ☮♡ッ 2011/09/16 16:22:52
    Neat
    Jenna ☮♡ッ
    +2
    Nothing nerdy about it imo. I don't know how to play, but it takes a lot of skill and patience in order to be good at it - I know that much.
  • merugop Jenna ☮♡ッ 2011/09/16 16:57:05
    merugop
    +1
    It takes skill and patience to get really high but it only takes experience to beat your high school, just play against your dad until you beat him
  • ♥Gabs1697♥ 2011/09/16 16:17:19
    Nerdy
    ♥Gabs1697♥
    +1
    lol...Don't know to play!
  • KB 2011/09/16 16:08:51
    Nerdy
    KB
    +1
    and by nerdy, I mean boring
  • autumn 2011/09/16 15:52:42 (edited)
    Neat
    autumn
    +3
    I'd like to learn it one day. Nothing nerdy about it to me.
  • Annie Innecco 2011/09/16 15:28:36
    Neat
    Annie Innecco
    +2
    I've never played it, but I don't have a problem with it or people who play it :)
  • kmay 2011/09/16 14:58:47
    Neat
    kmay
    +4
    I learned at a young age 4 or 5. All kids can and should learn as it's great for developing thinking and planning skills which transfer to positive academic poerformance.
  • Omni 2011/09/16 14:56:46 (edited)
    Neat
    Omni
    +2
    I love Chess! If anyone says it's nerdy it's either because they're terrible at it (and so, have recurrent temper tantrums), or just can't figure out how to play the game, i.e you're stupid.
  • Griegg 2011/09/16 14:02:28
    Neat
    Griegg
    +2
    Chess is a great game.
  • Beat Magnum True Hero 2011/09/16 13:51:57
    Neat
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +2
    Don't knock it till you try it. I like to take time to think during games, and Chess allows you to do that.
  • Omni Beat Ma... 2011/09/16 14:57:10
    Omni
    Professional Chess doesn't. You have a 10 minute clock.
  • Thaye_88 Omni 2011/09/16 15:50:37
    Thaye_88
    Still a lot more time than you have in most other games though, and I think that's what he meant.
  • Socrate... Omni 2011/09/16 18:01:59
    SocratesIII
    not exaclty so...it is 40 minutes in most tournaments i played in 40 minutes for 40 turns
    then anohther 40 minutes for 20 turns...most games end by then i am rated at 1298
  • Omni Socrate... 2011/09/16 18:49:38
    Omni
    Hmm, must be different where you are... All I've seen here is 10 minutes.
  • Socrate... Omni 2011/09/17 13:38:43
    SocratesIII
    that is online and is not sanctioned USCF ranked tournaments. Internet is for the wood pushers. If you want to play against the best you go to tournaments.
  • Socrate... Omni 2011/09/17 13:42:59
    SocratesIII
    Chess Tournament Rules
    By Robert Agar, eHow Contributor

Print this article
    Tournament chess has rules and regulations in addition to the standard rules governing the movement of pieces and order of play. Being familiar with these rules is essential to your success in a tournament setting. The prestige and potential prizes available in a tournament separate it from the casual game of chess played at the dining room table. Knowing what to expect will allow you to concentrate on your game without being surprised.

Timing
    To avoid having games that last for days, tournament games are timed using a chess clock. The chess clock contains two clocks connected so that when one is stopped, the other starts. Both players are given a set amount of time to complete the game or a specific number of moves. The clock is started for white before the first move of the game. As a player makes his move, he stops his clock, which starts the opponent's. A flag falls when time expires. The clock must be stopped with the same hand used to make a move to ensure that the other hand is not hovering over the clock to gain a few seconds. Keeping track of your time is important so as not to be forced to make hurried moves late in the game. Awareness without focusing on your time to the detriment of your gam...

Chess Tournament Rules
    By Robert Agar, eHow Contributor

Print this article

Timing
    To avoid having games that last for days, tournament games are timed using a chess clock. The chess clock contains two clocks connected so that when one is stopped, the other starts. Both players are given a set amount of time to complete the game or a specific number of moves. The clock is started for white before the first move of the game. As a player makes his move, he stops his clock, which starts the opponent's. A flag falls when time expires. The clock must be stopped with the same hand used to make a move to ensure that the other hand is not hovering over the clock to gain a few seconds. Keeping track of your time is important so as not to be forced to make hurried moves late in the game. Awareness without focusing on your time to the detriment of your game is vital to winning tournament chess.

Touch Move
    Once a piece is touched, it must be moved. Keep your hands well away from the board until you are ready to make your move to avoid inadvertently or compulsively touching a piece you really do not want to move. In most cases, you will not be forced to make a move if you accidentally brush a piece with your hand. If you want to adjust a piece that is not centered on a square, announce, "I adjust," before touching it.

Recording Moves
    Tournament rules usually require you to record both your and your opponent's moves during the game. You may reply to a move with your own before recording the opponent's move, but you must record your own move before making another. These regulations are relaxed with less than five minutes left on your clock. When the flag falls, you are required to update your score sheet.

Etiquette
    High standards of etiquette are expected of players. Players are expected to refrain from distracting or annoying their opponents in any way. Cell phones should be turned off. Players are not to make use of any notes or advice during the game and are not permitted to analyze moves on another board. Players are not permitted to leave the venue without the arbiter's permission. The player with the move cannot leave the playing area without permission.

Tournament Formats
    Chess tournaments can be organized in a variety of ways. One of the most popular is the Swiss tournament, in which players are initially paired with opponents of similar skill level. Winners advance, culminating in a final match between the two surviving competitors. In round-robin play, players are divided into sections and play all other players in that section. The player with the highest score when all games in a round are complete advances in the tournament. A knockout tournament is one in which groups are formed and a player continues until she loses a game and is eliminated. Group winners then form another group and continue until only one player remains.
  • The Bantam Seditioner 2011/09/16 13:35:21
    Neat
    The Bantam Seditioner
    +4
    I'm not very good at it, but I adore Chess. I'm generally a right-brain type of guy, and when I start playing Chess, it forces my brain to work in ways it normally doesn't. It keeps you sharp, and it's also a heck of a lot of fun.
  • dublin9 2011/09/16 13:30:40
    Neat
    dublin9
    +4
    I'm the second worst Chess player in the world. My son is the worst because he was taught to play by me.
  • Socrate... dublin9 2011/09/16 18:03:24
    SocratesIII
    +1
    lololol...now thats just too funny
    i taught both my nieces to play...they both beat their boy friends later on when they started dating lol
  • Wally-Molon Labe! 2011/09/16 13:19:32
    Neat
    Wally-Molon Labe!
    +5
    If our schools weren't so preoccupied with telling kids what to think instead of how to think, they could use the game of chess. A game of strategy that requires one to think and plan ahead. A quality and ability in very short supply.
  • asheeey 2011/09/16 13:07:54
    Nerdy
    asheeey
    +2
    Its not really nerdy its just idk how to play! lol
  • Thaye_88 asheeey 2011/09/16 13:50:37
    Thaye_88
    +2
    Which makes it nerdy? lol
  • asheeey Thaye_88 2011/09/16 13:52:33
    asheeey
    +1
    no.... i said no
  • Omni asheeey 2011/09/16 15:11:50
    Omni
    +1
    Well, you chose nerdy :/
  • asheeey Omni 2011/09/16 16:41:46
    asheeey
    +1
    ok then NEAT! lol sorry
  • Shae 2011/09/16 12:59:34
    Nerdy
    Shae
    +2
    Only because I'm horrible at chess
  • Omni Shae 2011/09/16 15:12:10
    Omni
    Good reason to think it's nerdy...
  • Shae Omni 2011/09/16 15:15:38
    Shae
    +1
    no its not.... I'm just really competitive and get frustrated at things I can't do well right away.

Its a selfish reason, I understand that.

2014/12/19 21:47:37