Changing the Baby's Diaper: Is it Women's Work?

SAM 2009/03/03 19:02:25
Yes. It is the women's work to change diapers
No. Both men and women should change diapers
Parenting is serious business, especially when it comes to changing diapers. For dads, it seems like an extremely difficult task to perform a diaper change, but with practice and commitment, you can master the art of diaper changing. But for mothers, they are born with diaper changing skills. They are so good at it and make it look like child's play. So why do women ask men to change diapers? Most of us are not good at it and women are. Is like men asking women to do an oil change in a car. Is it only the woman's job to change the baby's diaper?

• Shadowstalker -In my awesom... 2009/03/03 19:05:55
    Shadowstalker -In my awesomness I trust-
    +11
    as much as it sucks, my mom makes me change my lil' brother's diaper and i hate it, she says it good practice even though i told her that when i have kids its gunna be the woman's job...but then my dad told me that I wouldn't be married long if that were the case

• shanny 2009/03/04 20:12:47
    shanny
  • johno 2009/03/04 20:12:40
    johno
    +2
    hell no! All men should help. but not all do.
  • Indepedent Thinker 2009/03/04 20:05:54
    Indepedent Thinker
    +2
    Thank goodness that todays young parents share in raising children. I have seen more men parenting than ever before and they do know how to change diapers! what a great generation!
  • rib20 2009/03/04 19:51:13
    rib20
    +1
    cause the woman don't need 2 do it by herself.
  • NattiFan (oYo) 2009/03/04 19:48:43
    NattiFan (oYo)
    +1
    Hell no it isn't women's work. I think I have changed most of the diapers in my house for my daughter...dad's need to step up and take care of the deed as well. Practice makes perfect!!
  • Lawrence Colvin 2009/03/04 19:38:56
    Lawrence Colvin
    +1
    Let me say this to all of you that have children!!. If I was to tell my wife that it was her job to change the baby, and not mine, my face would be broken every single day for the rest of my life... You see the reason for this is my wife/zhrinya is from the country of Ukraine and the women there love to slap there cholovik/husbands.. I fyou give them a good reason they will not hesitate to do this, I know from first hand experience..
  • Toonsis 2009/03/04 19:34:25
    Toonsis
    +1
    My husband changed just as many diapers as I did...maybe even more! I feel bad for any mother who doesn't have an equal partner in every aspect of raising a child.
  • Dennis C Latham 2009/03/04 19:29:57
    Dennis C Latham
    +1
    It should be 50/50
    they both made the baby ....
    Matter of fact ?
    It should be more of the mans job.
    She carried the baby for nine months or so ......

You should have added one more answer.
    no - it's men's work. PERIOD

That's if the man loves his child and loves the woman who put her life on the line to bare him a child.

It's what I would do.
  • JAG 2009/03/04 19:28:21
    JAG
    +1
    It is women's work if you are on the religious ultra conservative right, but if you are like me more to the left you would say "no that both have the responsibility". Simple yes and no's are not so simple. Great question.
  • zac 2009/03/04 19:27:18
    zac
    +1
    but it shouldn't be limited to them. there was a thing on the news years ago that said mens lives are seriously shortened when they become stay at home dads. scientists said the male body doesn't handle womens tasks as well as women. but they also said women aren't made for intense physical labor either
  • Abort A Liberal, Save A Life. 2009/03/04 19:22:05
    Abort A Liberal, Save A Life.
    +1
    I'm only saying this for one reason. I have found that men don't know how to clean the kid off too well. They tend to leave "residue", yuck!!!
  • 2Loquac... Abort A... 2009/03/04 19:51:28
    2Loquacious
    Clearly, those men need to be retrained.
  • Nikola Judah 2009/03/04 19:18:56
    Nikola Judah
    There should be an additional answer option: let men change the diaper. There needs to be a lot more father-child bonding anyway.
  • Emily 2009/03/04 19:10:38
    Emily
    Not knowing how isn't an excuse. You better learn. And anyway, I learned how to do an oil change and then some. That just means I'm more prepared than other women. Why should fathers do the same? I mean If the mom is gone for the day, treating herself at the spa perhaps (and believe me, after birthing a child, she deserves it!), then why should the father be neglectful just because he doesn't want to learn how to do a diaper change? It's not hard.
    share and share alike,,,,,,my Mom never had to wash a diaper Dad did them for the 4 of us and a nephew my Mom took care of
  • Sandy 2009/03/04 19:02:32
    Sandy
    +1
    My kids even changed diapers of their younger siblings.... diapers are to be changed by anyone old enough to know how....

Babies are everybodies business.... if this world is to turn right...
  • *~Amelie~* 2009/03/04 18:57:41
    *~Amelie~*
    +2
    whoever is free at the time should do it. it's not about your job or my job, youre both parents, you both have to deal with it
  • mxmamma774 2009/03/04 18:54:02 (edited)
    mxmamma774
    +2
    A parents responsibility of both sexes is providing for the children and that includes the care of an infant.(ie: diaper changings) My husband does just as much as I do in taking care of our brood and that includes Diaper duty.When he comes home from work, he plays and takes care of our boys just like I do when he's gone. He'll give baths, change diapers, help feed the baby and help with the tucking in. We have always seen it that we both wanted them, so we should both take on the role of the diaper changing too! He gets sick to his stomache too, but he still changes our sons diaper!
  • a 2009/03/04 18:51:38 (edited)
    a
    +1
    Nope. It comes with being a parent whether you are a woman or a man.

Smelly, Smelly, and watch out!!! women change diapers nope parent woman smelly smelly watch
  • HPFan 2009/03/04 18:51:06
    HPFan
    +2
    Mom's and dad's should share in ALL the work that goes into raising a child.
  • Paul Revere 2009/03/04 18:43:51
    Paul Revere
    +1
    Actually, I think it's the man's job. When my kid was a baby, I had changes down to under 30 seconds. I was like an Indy pit crew.
  • island in Illi 2009/03/04 18:40:19
    island in Illi
    +1
    It's the job of whoever is with the baby when s/he soils her/himself to change the diaper. Why would anyone allow a baby to sit in a dirty diaper because s/he considered it not to be their job?
  • YOMOMMA 2009/03/04 18:38:48
    YOMOMMA
    Only if there is no baby's daddy around and please throw the dirty diaper in the trash.
  • graveshifter666 2009/03/04 18:34:54 (edited)
    graveshifter666
    +1
    i couldnt think of myself as a good father, if i dumped diaper duty on my other half... the same goes for feeding.. feeding is a great time for my daughter and i to build bond as well as trust.. she knows she can depend on me to provide.. be it a bottle, a hug or a diaper...
  • Danielle 2009/03/04 18:21:23
    Danielle
    +1
    Although I change the diapers most of the time, I just do it because it is instinct. He will do it if I do not get to it first. We made him so it is both of our responsibilities to change the diapers. : )
  • Jincks013 the Liberal Veteran 2009/03/04 18:20:24
    Jincks013  the Liberal Veteran
    +2
    Why is this even a question? Last I heard parents was a plural.
  • Raven♥ 2009/03/04 18:13:51
    Raven♥
    +2
    Men should be able to be capable to change a baby's diaper. It may be disgusting but it has to be done and women aren't always goona be available and besides there are some single men out there and they have to do it on their own so other men should be able to do it also.
  • jeffy 2009/03/04 18:06:53
    jeffy
    +4
    hey it takes two to put a baby here on earth so both have to do the chores
  • KARI 2009/03/04 17:47:43
    KARI
    +4
    it took two to make a baby, it takes two to take care of a baby :D
  • freedomisastateofmind 2009/03/04 17:46:14
    freedomisastateofmind
    +2
    i do it i change diapers and its not hard like some would say.
  • Candi; Bella 2009/03/04 17:36:52
    Candi; Bella
    +1
    I think it depends on who has the child. If the father is the only one home, then change the diaper don't wait for the mother or someone else to get there to do it. Otherwise if both parents are there, take turns doing the jpb to take care of you child!
  • Season_Change 2009/03/04 17:35:51
    Season_Change
    +1
    Women are NOT diaper changing machines and they certainly aren't born into the talent of it. They figure it out faster but they have to learn how to do it too. Diaper changing should be shared equally by the couple. =]
  • KayKay 2009/03/04 17:20:08
    KayKay
    +2
    Simple: You both had to make it so you both take responsibility in taking care of it.
  • Ms.NY 2009/03/04 17:14:37
    Ms.NY
    +4
    Times have changed, and now women and men are doing equal domestic duties, which includes changing diapers. Men are now proud to assume the name " Mr. Mom "....lol. equal domestic duties includes changing diapers proud assume mom lol
  • 2Loquac... Ms.NY 2009/03/04 17:34:02
    2Loquacious
    +3
    Heck!

I know plenty of men (my husband included) who would be pleased as punch to stay at home with the kids instead of being the primary breadwinner for the family.
  • Ms.NY 2Loquac... 2009/03/04 17:39:38
    Ms.NY
    +2
    That's good, but it's alot of men who wouldn't like that. I think it has everything to do the their testosterone, lol.
  • 2Loquac... Ms.NY 2009/03/04 19:17:40
    2Loquacious
    +1
    I don't if it's testosterone or the fact that staying home with a kid seems much more enjoyable than having to go into an office and work for a bunch of stupid fuckers.

I think, too, many men may be realizing what they're missing while they are at work. I know, my husband comes home from work and he misses his little girl and tries to pack in as much fun time with her before she goes to sleep.
  • Ms.NY 2Loquac... 2009/03/05 05:44:21
    Ms.NY
    I have heard men say (after staying home with the kids, and doing domestic work) that they had a new respect for women, and all they have to go through. They said that they rather be the bread winner...
  • 2Loquac... Ms.NY 2009/03/05 06:51:16
    2Loquacious
    +1
    I hear that!

Some days I could run out of the house to my old job in a flat second.
  • Mark5 2009/03/04 17:13:36
    Mark5
    +1
    Hey, the man was involved in making that child. I've seen men who refuse to change diapers, and it makes me feel really bad for the woman. No, it's not a pleasant thing to change a dirty diaper. But I always took my turns equally. My wife appreciated me for it and I appreciated her as well. I believe there are some things that may be gender specific. Responsibility is not one of those. That's for both to share EQUALLY!

2014/04/16 13:24:59