Changing the Baby's Diaper: Is it Women's Work?

SAM 2009/03/03 19:02:25
Yes. It is the women's work to change diapers
No. Both men and women should change diapers
Parenting is serious business, especially when it comes to changing diapers. For dads, it seems like an extremely difficult task to perform a diaper change, but with practice and commitment, you can master the art of diaper changing. But for mothers, they are born with diaper changing skills. They are so good at it and make it look like child's play. So why do women ask men to change diapers? Most of us are not good at it and women are. Is like men asking women to do an oil change in a car. Is it only the woman's job to change the baby's diaper?

• Shadowstalker -In my awesom... 2009/03/03 19:05:55
    Shadowstalker -In my awesomness I trust-
    +11
    as much as it sucks, my mom makes me change my lil' brother's diaper and i hate it, she says it good practice even though i told her that when i have kids its gunna be the woman's job...but then my dad told me that I wouldn't be married long if that were the case

• Zoomie 2013/11/10 17:51:36
    Zoomie
    I probably changed more of my kids' diapers than my wife did...

You both made that kid, you both are responsible for the kid, both should care in ALL aspects of raising the kid!
  • woos 2009/08/05 17:31:58
    woos
    +3
    Actually, it's the men's job, with just a few side events of Mom taking the chore. With two working parents and Mom nursing, Dad gets the baby out of the crib, changes her, hands her off to me to feed, then starts all over with her twin sister before taking the first to burp and put back to bed while the second one feeds. It's the only way for both of us to get some form of sleep prior to the next day.
  • alonnastorm 2009/07/02 17:18:10
    alonnastorm
    there's no such thing as womans work!
  • Mrs.Efron 2009/05/02 15:50:00
    Mrs.Efron
    sexist question
  • sky blue pink - American 2009/05/02 15:07:35
    sky blue pink - American
    I have a brother that is nine years younger than I. I mastered the skill before I was ten. My son's dad changed his diaper when we were still in the hospital. Dad quit changing when he got sprayed.
  • MON 2009/04/20 08:01:48
    MON
    now and both men and women do the job..8)
  • MissYaYa 2009/04/17 16:18:20
    MissYaYa
    It makes a big difference when 'dad' helps in this area even if it is only a few times here and there.
  • Drop Dead Rachel 2009/04/01 19:38:29
    Drop Dead Rachel
    I think both men and women should change diapers, I don't see the big fuss men make about it.

And let me say also, that the picture for this choice is highly disturbing.
  • Nick 2009/03/23 22:13:44
    Nick
    I've changed diapers before, ya it smells sometimes but it's not really much a big deal.
    I quickly discovered that if I did the diaper in the middle of the night and I did a lot of that... there was a more than welcome reward upon getting back to bed. AND I DON:T MEAN COLD HANDS.
  • Sodahead's Boring. 2009/03/12 13:16:23
    Sodahead's Boring.
    And I know guys asking women to change the oil all the time. =]
  • Sara 2009/03/12 00:58:23
    Sara
    It is the parents responsibility....not a parent....unless u are single.
  • poet4justice 2009/03/08 04:03:22
    poet4justice
    as for me alone it is my job to do the diaper and i have no issue
    if a man can be train to kill and not to change diaper what kind of man is him ?
  • julie sossaman 2009/03/07 00:57:26
    julie sossaman
    both made the baby so i dont think there is women and mens jobs i mow the lawn and my husband does dished so we hlp each other julie
  • AnnaLynne! 2009/03/06 16:39:47
    AnnaLynne!
    +1
    The parents job and or anyone who wants to give a helping hand.
  • kittkatt 2009/03/05 21:13:41
    kittkatt
    Well... I don't think men could handle it. They would be laughing too much...lol
  • fairiefang -annoying fashio... 2009/03/05 20:01:50
    fairiefang -annoying fashion snobs everywhere-
    Both should have to do it...I never saw the big fuss in changing a diaper though...it's not difficult...

Except when you get the young toddlers that you have to battle into changing...grr...
    diapers fuss changing diaper difficult young toddlers battle changing grr
  • Patricia Bounds 2009/03/05 16:59:57
    Patricia Bounds
    Men should at least help and not just with the diaper...house work, bills everything. NOt just the Women
  • Aleisa - Rightey extremist ... 2009/03/05 16:30:47 (edited)
    Aleisa - Rightey extremist and SAHM
    But a daddy would be well rewarded if he helped out!! But I don't expect him too. That is my job, to take care of the kids while he is gone to work. I stay home on purpose because that (dispite what the liberated woman feel) Is what women were designed to do. I love the old saying " The hand that rocks the craddle, rules the world!" Because it is so true.
  • emsawyer 2009/03/05 16:16:15
    emsawyer
    +1
    Whoever smells it first should do it!! Seriously, I calculated that I've changed 25,000 diapers over the lives of my 4 kids! That's a lot of poop!
  • matty507 2009/03/05 16:15:48
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2009/03/05 15:28:23
  • Shadow13 2009/03/05 15:23:05
    Shadow13
    +1
    This is an issue that must supercede these ridiculous gender role notions. It is not about the discomfort of an individual, but the hygeine and health of a child. I would think that either parent would do what is needed to ensure the future health of their child.
  • Jhonny Gil 2009/03/05 14:58:21
    Jhonny Gil
    +1
    why do women ask?? Do you know how many times a day a baby craps??? They are just really cute pooping machines. Plus its our child why would you not want to. Plus you can use that against them in the future............(why you trying to put me in a nursing home man??...... I just to change your diapers, you ungrateful bastard) see!
  • No. Both men and women should change diapers
    JB from T.C.~ Ijm ~∞ijm♥G☮F♀U∞
    It is team work for both, Changing, feeding, getting up in the middle of the night. babysitting, washing baby clothes, folding, etc. etc. etc.
  • WR 2009/03/05 14:56:22
    WR
    I could change out a diaper faster than speeding light ha
  • sabravesfan 2009/03/05 14:40:29
    sabravesfan
    I think both men and women should change the diapers, it took two to make the baby, it takes two to raise the baby
  • Angel's Girl 2009/03/05 14:12:48
    Angel's Girl
    My kids father changes diapers as much if not more than I did. He changes most of the crap diapers. If men are so tough then why should baby poop be such a big deal. If you don't want to change diapers then don't have kids.
  • JuJu1 2009/03/05 13:57:33 (edited)
    JuJu1
    +2
    My husband and I have three children and he has changed almost as many diapers as I have. Women are not born with diaper changing skills, but, come on, it's not rocket science. Women can also learn to change the oil in the car and I would wager that there are some women who can perform a better oil change than some men just as there are some men who change diapers better than some women. My husband changes diapers better than many of the teen-age female baby sitters we've hired. It's a matter of practice and commitment. I have often wondered if some men just do a "shitty" job of changing diapers so their partners won't ask them to do it anymore.
  • tori 2009/03/05 13:51:39
    tori
    its both responceability they wanted the baby they should take care it equaly
  • somergurl 2009/03/05 13:22:36
    somergurl
    I am a woman and I have no idea how to change a diaper. We are not born with that skill, we aquire it by trial and error, and so can men. It's not like there's some gene prevelant in women that make them diaper chaging machines or anything.
  • God of all Creation Shal 2009/03/05 09:04:08
    God of all Creation Shal
    It's the job of whoever happens to be closest (proximity) to the baby at the time/ who is awake/ who's turn it is.
  • merey 2009/03/05 08:06:26
    merey
    +1
    it should be men's work. I want to puke just thinking about changing diapers...but if i could sell my uterus on the black market, i would.
  • alexatwilight4ever 2009/03/05 06:36:13
    alexatwilight4ever
    i think they should just take turns
  • dude, its katie 2009/03/05 06:29:41
    dude, its katie
    It's actually whoever-is-holding-the-baby's work.
  • Mazz Loka 2009/03/05 06:22:24
    Mazz Loka
    +1
    The man owns the kid too, so he should have to do the work also.
  • Ms Missy 2009/03/05 06:19:13
    Ms Missy
    although i admit i changed alot more than daddy did
  • vina_silvestre 2009/03/05 05:51:11
    vina_silvestre
    you should take turns..........
  • Jinx The Cat 2009/03/05 05:50:13
    Jinx The Cat
    Both men and women should but not me i won't do it lol ^_^ women change diapers women lol
  • *Yuuki Cross ^.^* 2009/03/05 05:18:42
    *Yuuki Cross ^.^*
    +1
    Guys you cannot have a brake from changing one baby diaper! The parents need to share the responsibility not give it to one person! diapers guys brake changing baby diaper parents share responsibility person

2014/04/17 01:12:18