CEO Defends 5-Hour Energy Drink Despite Side Effects Concerns: Will You Stop Drinking It?

5-Hour Energy and its owner are under fire from critics for the recent FDA investigation that revealed 92 reports of adverse side effects — including 13 deaths. There have also been a reported 33 hospitalizations, according to the original report from The New York Times.

Any energy drink can be unhealthy just by regular consumption alone. But excess caffeine and ginseng can lead to increased awareness and physical activity, with the strong possibility of "crashing" once its effect wears off. The reported adverse side effects of 5-Hour Energy aren't pretty, as they include convulsions, heart attacks and even spontaneous abortion.

In an interview with CBS News correspondent Dr. Jon LaPook, 5-Hour Energy CEO Manoj Bhargava stuck by his product and even went as far as to state, "I would not sell a product that my family wouldn't use." Bhargava wouldn't reveal how much caffeine is in the drink and cited that prohibiting sales of 5-Hour Energy would be like banning peanuts because some people have allergic reactions. No matter what Bhargava says, fair or unfair, this recent report could lead to stricter FDA regulations, potential restrictions on 5-Hour Energy and even lawsuits. What do you think: Will you stop drinking it?

Read More: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-57551301/5-hou...

• DanielRivers 2012/11/17 19:06:26
    DanielRivers
    +7
    Everything is bad if you do it too much! Don't blame the energy drink geeeze. Tired of people blaming everyone else for their own faults. It's caffiene and I drink a lot of caffiene. I also take prescription stimulants. One 5 hr energy drink really doesn't affect me. Ten probably would. They even warn you not to have a certain amount.

• cinnastitch 2012/12/09 14:04:24
    cinnastitch
    Only tried it twice and hated them anyway
  • BIG BAD JOHN R. 2012/11/28 06:13:11
    BIG BAD JOHN R.
    Never started drinking it so there is no reason to change now!
  • Irene Cochran 2012/11/25 22:19:03
    Irene Cochran
    Never did drink it,never will.
  • jere.chievres 2012/11/25 14:43:44
    jere.chievres
    Coffee or tea works for me! So....NO!
  • Zach 2012/11/25 02:53:05
    Zach
    +1
    Deaths from these and other drinks happen because people think you can drink alot of them.
  • cheshirewayne 2012/11/25 01:48:28
    cheshirewayne
    It's an overdose of the B complex of vitamins. I stopped using it when I realized that for the price of three bottles, I could get a 150 tablet bottle of B-100 and the effect was the same for me.
  • sally 2012/11/24 21:03:52
    sally
    No offense to those who drink it but it really tastes like crap. I wouldn't drink it even if I was falling asleep hanging on to a thin piece of rope over lava.
  • Erok 2012/11/24 11:12:15
    Erok
    I've tried it a couple times and I don't think it does crap to keep you awake...it did make me a little horny but that's about it. Then again coffee doesn't really keep me awake either...must have been those years of bad behavior in the 80s made me immune to most amphetamine type supplements :) Although I think I did get a little reaction to those Redline drinks they sell at GNC.
  • David Erok 2012/11/24 19:19:48
    David
    +1
    All of that "energy" was sent to your soldier.
  • Erok David 2012/11/25 01:07:41
    Erok
    I guess so.....maybe they should market that as a potential side effect....E.D. ENERGY DRINK! :)
  • phdinzeroes 2012/11/24 06:54:54
    phdinzeroes
    Never started.
  • Sylvia 2012/11/24 01:40:29
    Sylvia
    Never drank it to begin with :/
  • Died 2012/11/24 00:39:00
  • 001 2012/11/23 20:02:17
    001
    Technically no, I never had it. And I won't drink it after reading this. Not only because of the research, but especially because the CEO won't reveal how much caffeine the drink contains. In Europe it's mandatory to display the ingredients and the amount of caffeine on the package.
  • Nomad58 2012/11/23 16:00:50
    Nomad58
    Only because I never drank it in the first place.

I have been in combat and survived; why would I start drinking stuff that could kill me?

I loved that commercial were they tried to convince you it was good for you.
    Once you ran the percentages, the numbers came out pretty low.
    But, who looks at the small print right
    ~ just look at the lady in the lab coat with the soothing voice.

"Caffeine is energy drinks’ main ingredient, ranging from 70 mg to 242 mg per serving, depending on the brand. For reference, a can of Mountain Dew has 45mg of caffeine. Consumer Reports recently reported that 5 Hour Energy had 215 mg and the extra strength version had 242 mg of caffeine. Oddly enough, you will not find this information on their label.

Recently, a number of studies have looked at the health effects of energy drinks. They have found that consumption of these drinks raises blood pressure and changes the way your platelets and blood vessels act, increasing your risk of heart attack and stroke. Furthermore, experts say there have been four reported cases of seizures related to consumption of energy drinks. Arrhythmias (irregular heartbeats) and insomnia are also common side effects." Dr. Susan Szulc, American Journal of Medicine, Consumer Reports,
    http://www.bs757.com/2012/11/...
  • Rdtourist 2012/11/23 14:56:22
    Rdtourist
    Horrendous alternative to a couple cups of coffee and a amino acid or vitamin supplement.
  • 9th of 9 2012/11/23 11:40:46
    9th of 9
    Never had one. Never will.
  • Meljahun 2012/11/23 10:38:07
    Meljahun
    I tried it but this drink is not for me. I'll Drink Nutriment Instead.
  • kaZappoo 2012/11/23 06:32:46
    kaZappoo
    self responsibility & common sense seems to have evaded the public ' psychie '' mantality !

wouldnt it seem like only a fool would drink 10 or 15 at a time ,,,

then I suppose this is why the FDA & govt . regulators are needed to tell those stupid adults "DONT DRINK TOO MANY OF THESE AT ONCE ""

then with as dumbed down the population has become it's not surprising ,,

like telling folks dont drink hot coffee too fast "CAUSE IT'S HOT " and a nimrod woman sued Mc Donald's for serving here a HOT cup of coffee !

the compounds in 5 hr .is concentrated "taurine " is a concentrated form of caffeen , B12 is another stimulant ,,niacine another !
  • Foxy Warrior Guru 2012/11/23 05:25:21
    Foxy Warrior Guru
    +1
    Can't stop drinking it. I don't drink it now.
  • MO.gal 2012/11/23 03:54:26
    MO.gal
    +1
    I never started drinking any energy drinks.....I don't think any of them are safe.
  • johngoodboy 2012/11/22 15:03:37
    johngoodboy
    +1
    You should have the choice never drink it. This product has sucralose in it which has many side affects. If they didn't add sucralose I would have tried it.
  • foxhoun... johngoo... 2012/11/23 22:51:38
    foxhound BN0
    That must be why it tastes so nasty.
  • Dick Nixon 2012/11/22 12:22:49
    Dick Nixon
    +1
    I never drank it anyway... Hot Coffee never killed anyone.
  • Ryan Dick Nixon 2012/11/22 16:28:36
    Ryan
    "Independent tests from Consumer Reports recently found 5-Hour Energy could contain up to 215 milligrams of caffeine"

"By comparison, a tall 12-ounce Pike Place Roast coffee sold at Starbucks contains 260 milligrams of caffeine"
  • Dick Nixon Ryan 2012/11/22 20:33:33
    Dick Nixon
    Yeah but is it the caffeine that's doing the killing? I am sold that if more "Independent Testing" was done by C.R. or even better, the FDA which by the way I believe that none of the energy drinks or supplements such as "5 Hour Energy" are regulated by the FDA. At least I know a lot of the supplements from CNA are not FDA regulated. But if further testing was done, I am sure it wouldn't be linked to caffeine. More than likely "food color yellow #5"... Ok so I am exagerating a little but there is a lot more than just caffeine in that crap. Yes I said crap. A Dr. told me that energy supplements such a 5 Hour Energy take more out of you than they put in. Energy drinks were found not long ago linked to rotting teeth. They eat the enamel straight off of your teeth. If you believe the media's BS then Shame On You. Show me one credible link and I do mean "credible" that connects drinking coffee to dying and I will do backflips. Well probly break my neck while I am at it.
  • kaZappoo Dick Nixon 2012/11/23 06:44:03
    kaZappoo
    lets see here , as a ex long haul driver 30+ yrs , the caffeen tablets "no doze " quick allert fast drop ,,5 hr enengy ,did the trick "no jitters " no drop . they sell boatloads at truck stops ,and there usefull to educated folks I suppose ,,I know lots that use them different brands / better that the old effedra cross top pills , and black beauties ..pharmacutical seconal " cousin to methadrine "

but are these drivers smarter than to drink 15 bottles at a time >?

it would seem so , and some co's say if ya need to take that stuff , ya best go take a nap !
  • Ryan Dick Nixon 2012/11/23 15:27:30
    Ryan
    Here's a good example of what I'm almost certain all these cases are like.

"Last month, the physically fit man suffered a massive heart attack from a blocked artery, an ailment his cardiologist reportedly attributed to the energy shot. Perez told doctors he had two 5-Hour Energy drinks every day for the past five years."
  • foxhoun... Ryan 2012/11/23 22:54:17
    foxhound BN0
    and six pieces of bacon
  • Ryan foxhoun... 2012/11/25 00:29:54
    Ryan
    My favorite and i wish i could find the link to it a woman was saying her husband had health problems from 5 hour energy.

Then went on to say he averaged 3-4 a day, along with 2-3 cups of coffee, and about a 2 liter of diet mountain dew...
  • Dick Nixon Ryan 2012/11/25 14:39:54
    Dick Nixon
    Yeah tell that to the truck driver above you. "no jitters and No drops" he rekons gives him a clean bill of health. 10-4...
  • Marcus Clark 2012/11/22 10:43:35
    Marcus Clark
    +1
    Never started. I'll stick with Rev3 (from http://mlchealth.com/)
  • johngoo... Marcus ... 2012/11/22 15:24:26
    johngoodboy
    Good ingredients but I am concerned why they put fructose in it.

Fructose contains no enzymes, vitamins or minerals, and it leeches micronutrients from your body. A mountain of evidence has accumulated demonstrating that it is absolutely terrible for your health.

http://articles.mercola.com/s...
  • Marcus ... johngoo... 2012/11/23 00:08:59
    Marcus Clark
    Fructose is a naturally occurring fruit sugar. It is not good to get too much of it (or too much of anything, including water.) However, In the right amounts and with the right balance of other ingredients it is not only not harmful, it is beneficial.

A lot has to do with quantity and balance. Just like articles from Mercola. It is OK to read them but take them with a "grain of salt."
  • Rdtourist johngoo... 2012/11/23 14:59:53
    Rdtourist
    Table sugar is 50% Fructose, gonna ban that as well, Have a Banana they have 75% Fructose in their sugars.
  • Bite my shiny metal ass 2012/11/22 00:40:34
    Bite my shiny metal ass
    +1
    its called.....LIMITATION,THE PEOPLE WHO DIED DRINKING THESE ARE PEOPLE WHOM HAD HEART PROBLEMS OR DRANK THIS STUFF LIKE WATER!!!! i have a few rebulls (which are more powerful than 5 hour energy) a month,they dont hurt me because o drink them in LIMITATION!
    redbull gives you wings
  • kaZappoo Bite my... 2012/11/23 06:51:21
    kaZappoo
    there was a video on the news about this guy who poured 15 bottles into a 9 oz ,clear cup & started to consume the whole thing ,,My thoughts are how foolish !

I drank red bull a few times ( driving longhaul ) and was too much sugar in it ,,

5 hr taken correctly & moderation is safe ,,then again ????

people dont seem to have much smarts any more !
  • Bite my... kaZappoo 2012/11/23 13:19:06
    Bite my shiny metal ass
    EXACTLY,its all about moderation here
  • Rdtourist Bite my... 2012/11/23 15:00:57
    Rdtourist
    Red Bull or similar are banned in a fair number of countries already, may the US needs to evaluate them?
  • Jordache 2012/11/22 00:26:43
    Jordache
    +1
    Believe it or not....I actually enjoy being alive.

2014/07/22 23:08:10