Can't we all just get along?

ScatterJoy! 2012/07/04 04:30:30
No, my experiences posting here have all been wonderful!
Yes, I've been put down and belittled for merely making a comment.
Undecided (please leave a comment)
I'm new to this site and have generally found most people to be open, kind, genuine, and considerate. But recently, I commented on a religious post (something about it's time for America to bless God) and I couldn't believe the backlash my comments received.

Isn't the whole point of the internet, and namely opinion/message boards, to share ideas with humans we might not otherwise connect with? This mass communication has never before been seen on this level and yet we belittle and begrudge each other so vehemently that it's sickening.

How do you feel about the feedback you've received on this site? Do you find most people are willing to engage in a dialogue and rationally discuss their beliefs/ideals, or do you find you're shut down more often than not? If the latter, any recommendations on how to fix the issue?

• **StarzAbove** 2012/07/06 21:58:14
    **StarzAbove**
    +3
    There are a lot of mean people on here that whenever you disagree or just leave a simple comment, the war begins. But on the other side of the coin, there are some very nice people who will agree to disagree. Maybe you just had a rough day. Hang in there, if it gets too bad, BLOCK them.

• flrdsgns 2012/07/06 22:46:27
    flrdsgns
    +2
    Most subjects on here, people are pretty nice. The exceptions would be the political section and any religious question. People feel very strongly about their politics and their religion or lack of it. Many on here have little education and really don't possess the skills to debate without name calling.
    It does get old at times
  • april 2012/07/06 22:22:08
    Undecided (please leave a comment)
    april
    +1
    I'm new to the site as well, and have also found people to generally be kind, genuine, considerate and open, but I commented on a question about eating meat, and I was ambushed by vegans/vegetarians in a rude, judgmental, pushy way...I understand their cause, but I eat all 4 food groups. I always have and always will. That doesn't mean I am walking down the street killing every animal I see! I'm sorry, but I feel like how can you expect to get your point across to anyone by attacking them, that is not how you communicate. Respect the fact that you are not God, and being overly judgmental (unless you have a truly valid reason) only weakens your opinion; it doesn't strengthen it, but that is what pushy people think...hopefully I won't run into much of that again.
  • Scatter... april 2012/07/09 02:50:42
    ScatterJoy!
    +1
    I'm sorry you had to deal with unwarranted malice! But at least it sounds like you've got a good point of view on the matter - no they're not God and being pushy only makes their opinions seem that much more desperate and tenable.

Thank you for your kind response and wonderful insight! Good luck on the site - remember to have fun!
  • april Scatter... 2012/07/17 22:34:33
    april
    +1
    Thanks for the well wishes, and posting a good question! You're Welcome and I'll remember!
  • Jan Haskell 2012/07/06 22:20:17
    Undecided (please leave a comment)
    Jan Haskell
    +1
    I think you will find some people here who are willing to discuss and/or disagree with grace. The others are not worth your time ... just move on to the next. Welcome :)
  • Scatter... Jan Has... 2012/07/09 02:46:20
    ScatterJoy!
    +1
    Thank you for the kind words! Yes, so far, most have been gracious and welcoming - but the venom that other's can spew seems unwarranted and very entirely unnecessary.

Peace and joy to you and yours! Thank you again for the insightful response!
  • **StarzAbove** 2012/07/06 21:58:14
    **StarzAbove**
    +3
  • Scatter... **Starz... 2012/07/09 02:48:28
    ScatterJoy!
    +1
    I haven't blocked anyone yet, but I've certainly been blocked. I'm always left wondering if these people engage with such animosity when in person, or they just feel more at ease letting loose their vitriolic responses behind the protection of a computer screen?

Thank you for your kind words and insightful response!
  • **Starz... Scatter... 2012/07/09 12:25:16
  • John Hall 2012/07/06 21:22:07
    Undecided (please leave a comment)
    John Hall
    +1
    Not had that many problems with folks on sodahead if yah disagree leave it at that don't get nasty because you don't think a like .
  • Scatter... John Hall 2012/07/09 02:48:56
    ScatterJoy!
    +1
    Totally agree - nastiness is so unnecessary. Thank you for your response!
  • esteeopolis 2012/07/04 12:17:18
    esteeopolis
    +1
    Don't care what they say in reply to a post of mine. Care factor only comes into play if it's constructive.
  • Scatter... esteeop... 2012/07/04 16:11:30
    ScatterJoy!
    +1
    Have you found many responses to be constructive?
  • LunarRain 2012/07/04 08:11:47
    LunarRain
    +1
    This site is all about opinions so it's going to happen. I don't really mind unless they are just being ridiculous about it. But I will always try to prove my point to them even if they agree or don't just try to have them see my side.
  • Scatter... LunarRain 2012/07/04 16:11:16
    ScatterJoy!
    Have you found that those with opposing views are willing to listen to your point of view?
  • LunarRain Scatter... 2012/07/04 19:00:39
    LunarRain
    +1
    Kind of
  • Radical Ed 2012/07/04 06:47:38
    Radical Ed
    +2
    i usually get the same impression. a discussion is healthy and intellectually stimulating only as long as people are respectful to one another.
  • Scatter... Radical Ed 2012/07/04 06:54:18
    ScatterJoy!
    +2
    Thanks for the insightful response! - it's a bummer though that so many of us feel like we're not being heard over the antagonistic comments of others.
  • Jdogg 2012/07/04 04:55:14
    Undecided (please leave a comment)
    Jdogg
    +2
    Use that block button
  • Scatter... Jdogg 2012/07/04 04:56:03
    ScatterJoy!
    +1
    Ha - awesome. Thanks for the tip!
  • Tree To... Scatter... 2012/07/06 21:11:08
    Tree Top TT
    Why? are you weak-kneeed? :)
  • Tree To... Jdogg 2012/07/06 21:09:24
    Tree Top TT
    Wrong.only the person defeated in debate, uses the block feature! :)
  • Yutt 2012/07/04 04:35:04
    Undecided (please leave a comment)
    Yutt
    +1
    They've tried to put me down and belittle me, but no such luck because I'd be damned if I'm going to let some douche bag get to me over the internet. Try saying any of that to my face see if my boot doesn't end up in your ass or my knife in your chest.
  • Scatter... Yutt 2012/07/04 04:36:44
    ScatterJoy!
    lol - ok. But what do you do do when they ask a question and block you from responding?
  • Yutt Scatter... 2012/07/04 04:39:38
    Yutt
    +1
    Continue on with the rest of my day.
  • Tree To... Yutt 2012/07/06 21:13:44
    Tree Top TT
    Are you trying to say, you are A TOUGH GUY?
  • Yutt Tree To... 2012/07/06 21:36:50
    Yutt
    Lol no
  • Lord Emperor Kami Guro Bage... 2012/07/04 04:32:02
    Undecided (please leave a comment)
    Lord Emperor Kami Guro Bagels Supreme Ruler of the Earth
    +1
    Some peope are worth getting along with... others deserve a smack up side their mostly empty brain pans
  • Scatter... Lord Em... 2012/07/04 04:33:21
    ScatterJoy!
    +1
    Oh I sure do like you! - thanks for the reply!
  • Lord Em... Scatter... 2012/07/04 04:34:48
    yep

2014/12/20 09:45:05