Canine Luxury Items: Are People Who Buy Them 'Dumb'?

According to truTV, people who buy their dogs luxury items are "dumb." Are they right? Or are these just some fantastic owners who really love their pets?

You know what dogs really need? A bowl of dog food that makes its own gravy. A tennis ball to slobber on. Some shots to keep the worms away. But most of all, the one thing dogs need is constant love.

You know what dogs don't need? Everything on this list of dumb luxury items for your pooch.

Yes, all of these ridiculous bowwow baubles are real. And yes, all of these canine luxuries will be used as fodder to incite the coming revolution.

Dogs are not fashion accessories, and if you're decking Fido out in frivolous finery, then you are dumb. Also: you're either rich or bellybutton-deep in credit card debt. But mostly dumb.

Items on the truTV list included a $150,000 diamond dog collar, "neuticles" (testicle implants for dogs), a $2,000 canopy dog bed, and puppy leg warmers.

What do you think? Are people who buys these items "dumb"?

Read More: http://blog.trutv.com/dumb_as_a_blog/2011/06/9-dum...

• Hamm0ckjames 2011/06/27 00:31:17
    Hamm0ckjames
    +13
    We spend money on our puppy, Little Emma. But we are also on a very tight budget. So she has a dog bed, some tennis balls and a few chew toys. The best gift we have given her was a chance at life. She contracted Parvo at 5 weeks old while still at the animal shelter.
    Through prayer and a very good veterinary hospital she lived through it.
    We adopted her and love her very much. The medical costs have finally been paid off, and Little Emma is healthy and growing rapidly.
    If your wondering if she is worth the money, The answer can be found in her eye's,,,,
    paid emma healthy growing rapidly worth money answer eyes

• Crim0852 2013/05/20 21:50:43
    Crim0852
    These people aren't dumb, they just love their pets, like they love a family member and want to provide the best for them. What's so bad about that? Would you rather have an owner that beats and abuses their animals? Because there are loads of those types of people. I'd much rather have people spoiling their pets, than beating them up. And what is the big deal if you have money? I would love to spoil my dog if I had the money, because he brings so much happiness into my life, so I would like to do the same for him :) I don't see the big freaken deal!
  • Lazarus Long 2011/07/08 14:49:35
    Lazarus Long
    It makes me sick how some people dote on their pets. I like animals, but they are a poor substitute for human companionship.
  • onabeach 2011/06/28 09:26:43
    onabeach
    Plenty of them, like clothes and expensive collars are not for the dog's benefit. And people buy the luxury food that appeals to them, not to the dogs. Dogs preferred the weird smelling, but owners didn't like it, so top brands have smells that are designed to appeal (or at least not gross out) the owner, since they are the ones buying it.
  • Joe Falzone 2011/06/28 00:51:40
    Joe Falzone
    The choices were yes, no, undecided........so if I would have said no that would make me a possible buyer for some crazy thing...
    It does seem silly to me but for some people their pets are their surrogate children and they tend to spoil them.
  • Sabba 2011/06/27 22:45:10
    Sabba
    Why do people think it is their business what others do with their own money! Obviously if I had it (money) I just might! To the people who say they "should" give their money to someone or something that needs it more, try telling the people on welfare they shouldn't be buying beer, cigarets and steaks if they have to use other peoples money (for whatever reason they are on welfare). I did, we ate a lot of mac and cheese, home made too, but never had a steak!
  • onabeach Sabba 2011/06/28 09:29:17
    onabeach
    We aren't saying there should be laws against it, we are just saying the decision reflects negatively on the owner. And there are lots of poorer people in many countries that don't have welfare, so you could simply give aid to Haiti or something.
  • Sabba onabeach 2011/07/01 01:34:28
    Sabba
    Why negatively? You don't know that some of these people give to the poor. I am saying "who are you to judge"? Did you get promoted to God?
  • onabeach Sabba 2011/07/01 11:36:52 (edited)
    onabeach
    It's a slippery slope. But every dollar someone wastes on a luxury the dog doesn't even care about is a dollar thrown away that that could have gone to help somebody. You could say the same thing with gas for SUVs people don't need, designer clothes and countless other things. But this is conspicuous consumption, intended to show off to the public, so of course the public will notice it more.

Very few people give all they can to the poor. I know I don't. The point is that these people are advertising the fact that put impressing others' with their DOGS over helping the poor. It just shows their priorities. First, make sure our dog impresses people with its diamond collar, then try to help some of the people dying from lack of drinking water.

"Did you get promoted to God?"
    What on earth? This question asks specifically what we think about them. I don't go around in real life shunning or mocking (or even noticing) those who buy useless stuff for their pets, but when an online question asks about it directly, I give my honest opinion.
  • Sabba onabeach 2011/07/01 14:43:24
    Sabba
    Looks like you want to be God! and can't you come up with your own words? Have to copy mine? That is the problem with you people who have the liberal gimme, gimme, gimme, do it for me, say it for me, pay it for me, it's not my fault lifestyle! If it is my money I can do with it what I want! Give all your money away and then I know you will be back on welfare wanting everyone else to help you.
    Loooooooooooooooooooooooooooo...
  • onabeach Sabba 2011/07/01 15:58:19
    onabeach
    Where did I copy you?

"If it is my money I can do with it what I want! "

Of course you can, that doesn't mean I have to be impressed.

"Give all your money away and then I know you will be back on welfare wanting everyone else to help you."
    Or spend all your money on dog accessories and you'll be back on welfare. What's the difference?
  • I Wish I Were A Skywalker..... 2011/06/27 22:02:42
  • Sabba I Wish ... 2011/06/27 22:46:31
    Sabba
    Keeps people working too!
  • I Wish ... Sabba 2011/06/28 20:34:27
    I Wish I Were A Skywalker... ~ In Television I Trust
    +1
    Exactly! My father always told me that he would buy me gifts, and send me to a nice school, so that when I grew up, I would strive to be able to afford it!
  • Curmudgeon 2011/06/27 21:34:09
    Curmudgeon
    I tried going fancy for my cat, but she's content to sleep anywhere I do and cuddle with me.
  • Tom Camfield 2011/06/27 21:05:04
    Tom Camfield
    If it makes them happy (the people), go ahead. Dogs probably couldn't care less either way, as long as they are comfortable with their life in things that really count. They're smarter than people in that they don't look for happiness in material things. One pet is worth a thousand knick-knacks.
  • El Prez 2011/06/27 20:44:28
    El Prez
    Yes,but it's not our call. They can do as they want. I would prefer they spent some of that extra money on the children in the worldwho are suffering. But who says thay aren't doing both.
  • theawesomerandomperson 2011/06/27 19:11:15
    theawesomerandomperson
    who would spend money an buying something a dog doesn't even need!? if you ask me a dog would rather sleep with it's owner then in a luxury bed lol
  • John 2011/06/27 18:31:32
    John
    +1
    Idiots is the word. Dogs don't care if you're rich or poor, black or white, dumb or smart. They don't need this crap. All they want is their owner by their side. I've had 6 dogs over my 66 years of life. They don't care about this crap. They are happy just to see the owner come home. They look forward to that moment all day, not a pink bed.
  • MissJo 2011/06/27 18:28:02 (edited)
    MissJo
    I wouldn't... but I'm not going pass judgment. They love their pets and as long as they are treated right, that's all I care about *shrugs*
  • Ober 2011/06/27 18:16:26
  • kobidob... Ober 2011/06/27 18:20:24 (edited)
    kobidobidog
    OH yes they do. I have a doberman that likes being on a soft velour blanket,and when I put it on the sofa he does not turn in circles before he settles down. He just jumps up on the sofa, and flops down on its softness^^.
  • (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<) 2011/06/27 17:48:34 (edited)
    (>*~*)>Zombiecat<(*-*<)
    Not dumb.... it's their money. But I don't look at dogs that way. I seem them rolling around in the mud, drinking toilet water, slobbering and pooping on the carpet. Not diamonds and canopy beds. The dog doesn't care either way.... it's more of a statement by the owner. Maybe I'm just bitter because I was forced to get rid of my Wolf and German Sheppard mix.....
  • Savvy Free 2011/06/27 17:30:38
    Savvy Free
    I have a little puppy Simon but the most we spent on him was for his crate!
  • Piper 2011/06/27 17:23:39
    Piper
    It depends. I do think spending that much money on the items mentioned is "silly"; the dogs don't care, and that money could save the the lives of many homeless animals. I think dressing dogs up in clothes is an indignity to the animal, unless it's for protection from the elements.

However, I spend more money on my animals than I do on myself; healthcare, good quality food, comfortable beds, cool perches and scatching posts for the cats, protections from fleas and other parasites. These things though are for THEIR well-being, not mine.
  • Sheled Umlal 2011/06/27 17:15:06
    Sheled Umlal
    Not only can they not speak sense, they can't see sense either. Dogs are habitually wild for a reason, do not take away more that 50% else you've taken away most of his meaning of life. Or, don't get a pet and befriend friendly wild animals...
  • AzSCENEbyJEsS 2011/06/27 17:09:43
    AzSCENEbyJEsS
    My dog has everything and its all name brand dog brand chanel dog cloths
  • lele 2011/06/27 17:01:30
    lele
    They don't need luxury items take the money and give it to programs that help people, If you don't want to do that than give it to the organization that help poor people to take care of their pets health, but otherwise you are just wasting money on them.
  • The Thinker 2011/06/27 17:00:18
    The Thinker
    Absolutely, with no room for discussion. They're not even real dogs. Stupid things, not natural in the least and only bred to be so small and stupid looking. Defeats the purpose of having a dog.
  • The Thi... The Thi... 2011/06/27 17:01:54
    The Thinker
    +1
    Oops, misunderstood the question. Thought they meant those small ugly dogs like Paris Hilton carries around in her hand bag.
  • kobidob... The Thi... 2011/06/27 18:51:49
    kobidobidog
    Large or small they still have the unashamed spirit of God in them that Adam,and Eve had before we thought God was keeping something from us accepting death having death permeate all of eternity, and being ashamed for doing it being the only animal clothing ourselves. That small dog no matter what the size still has Godf in them being like little children, and we need to be like them being little children too to be saved in Gods kingdom.
  • wulfsong 2011/06/27 16:53:58
    wulfsong
    Luxury items go overboard. We have five dogs and we spoil them rotten with treats, toys, birthday cakes and fully wrapped christmas presents. Btu I never have and never will buy a dog a diamond anything. That is just ridiculous.
  • Dixienc wulfsong 2011/09/25 01:46:41
    Dixienc
    My mutants would probably eat them and then I'd have to follow them around with a rubber glove until they gave them back. LOL Have yours picked up the whole "unwrapping" thing yet? Mine just don't seem to get it....they sit and look at me like...."well?"
  • Old Nellie Bones 2011/06/27 16:53:52
    Old Nellie Bones
    It's their pet and money so whats the harm?I did work with a guy that bought bottled water for his dogs.I got a good chuckle from that one, as Dogs lick their own ass,eat crap,drink out of toilets and puddles.So I found that pretty amusing.
  • T1 2011/06/27 16:17:18
    T1
    i am a dog lover to a huge degree, but i hate to see people who try to make their dogs humans. dogs are happy as dogs, people are happy as people. when you see a terrible acting dog, it is never the dogs fault, simply look to its owner.
  • Josh Robinson R.P.2012' PWCM. 2011/06/27 16:15:46
    Josh Robinson  R.P.2012' PWCM.
    The people selling it are smart... but only on one level... its actually a detriment as it promotes this feeble-mindedness and thus pollutes humanities dignity as a whole.... the little we have left.
  • JJ 2011/06/27 16:10:18
    JJ
    There are a lot people consider their pets their children and cater to them. And its not just the wealthy either. My daughter does...her little dog is her world and that dog knows it. But her kids are grown and that is her little child. We have a good friend that's the same way. We too have a lot of pets, but don't cater to them as they do, but they are our family and we love them all.
  • Oreeett 2011/06/27 16:06:52
    Oreeett
    prob
  • Crazy Feet 2011/06/27 15:50:34
    Crazy Feet
    Only if you couldn't afford it.
  • 4EverDreaming 2011/06/27 15:30:54
    4EverDreaming
    +1
    It can go too far! I was reading today... that Paris label sells a $14,000 dog bowl and a $17,000 dog bed. This is the actual dog bowl... Its "gold dipped bronze!" The creator stated that people she made jewlery for were always asking, "Well what about my dog. You should make beautiful things for him, he deserves them just as much as I do." Seriously, if these rich people were just as concerned about the poor, homeless and hungry in the world we wouldn't have any of them left would we. Don't get me wrong people, I love my dogs and they get spoiled and pampered but this is over kill and outrageous! When you are making lion paw feet beds for dogs... something is very wrong... where is your concern for the human being that is starving sitting homeless right up on the next block from you? People like this are the ones that put there nose up in the air and think those people are wasting the air and space in this world instead of it being societies problem. One dog bowl... at $14,000 could feed a whole lot of hungry people... space world societies dog bowl 14000 feed hungry people

2014/11/22 21:30:57