Can you belong to a group, a party, a family, a church and NOT agree 100% with their beliefs?

Sister Jean 2012/11/19 18:29:23
Related Topics: Family, Church, Party, beliefs

• whowasphone 2012/11/19 19:07:33
    yes
    whowasphone
    +4
    at least I hope that's okay to do. I certainly don't agree with everything christianity teaches, but I believe in the father son and holy ghost...

• LayLady 2012/11/25 07:22:16
    LayLady
    depends on the beliefs
  • bpf 2012/11/21 20:53:07 (edited)
    yes
    bpf
    On some points, but on the big issues like abortion if you call yourself a "True Christian" not a religious goer you can to serve two masters..God & Man. Sorry but God laws are set in black or white (color no trace in case), Jesus said " Can not be lukewarm either hot or cold" or God will spew you out. Christians in name only will have the same end as the unsaved whether we like it or not. But in "ALL" cases you do not cause ill-will, conflict or hate drive you away from your family or friends, if they turn from you then that is beyond your control. Bible states " Be wise as a serpent but gentile as a dove" in other words be set in your convictions but always show love, turn the other cheek in all things pertaining to the Word of God...because God will always have the last word.
  • Ninjaman 2012/11/20 15:24:33
    yes
    Ninjaman
    +1
    It is very important that the core belief is there... Many people within a large group can disagree on other points however.
  • tredzwater 2012/11/20 13:02:25
    tredzwater
    I think it depends on the group. Particularly if it's a church.

Most groups are tolerant of a number of positions along a bell curve, as long as the member holds the basic standard as true. It gets a bit stickier when the group is a church.

Some denominations are extremely comfortable with members who differ in minor ways but won't tolerate a major digression from the Credo. Others are far more stringent and disfellowship (and shun) even the most minor deviation. Mormons, for example, are considered apostate if they even read something that is "not faith-promoting". If they question the tiniest tenet, they may find themselves before a disciplinary board. Other groups follow the same procedures.

Again...it depends on the group.
    yes
  • troy.r.ivie 2012/11/20 07:54:12
    no
    troy.r.ivie
    +1
    No cause it is assume being in a group you follow their beliefs,

The reason I claim no political party, or religion.
  • roxie 2012/11/20 07:11:44
    yes
    roxie
    +2
    Thinking for yourself is a good thing blind followers
  • Nicky 2012/11/20 06:15:43
    yes
    Nicky
    +2
    Yes of course, as long as you don't see eye to eye with them you should not go along with it, should always speak your own mnd, what kind of family wouldn't allow a different opinion? Well, maybe in some military family? I don't know, but for me, as long as I disagree I just tell them what I think I wouldn't bend or lie just please no one!
  • tredzwater Nicky 2012/11/20 13:05:02
    tredzwater
    +1
    I'm the only atheist in my family and, although I don't live near any of them now, when I did, they treated me as they always did. I never felt unwelcome. My only real problem was my aunt (now deceased) who used to throw "I'll pray for you." like a brick.

But, she did that with everyone.
  • Nicky tredzwater 2012/11/20 13:30:57
    Nicky
    +1
    My grandma is a follower of Buddhism, so I know where you are coming from. But fortunately my grandma is not like that, she's kind and mild and really nice to everyone, she's always smiling like nothing matters, and she really cares about her children and grandchildren, but sometimes she would say stuff to talk us into following her steps and becoming a follower too, but she never forces us, she would say as long as you pray, sincerely, you would go to heaven when you are dead, but not like in an annoying way, but yeah religious people can get like that, so I guess all we can do is be more tolerant and ignore it if it gets to you, or you'd go nuts eventually
  • tredzwater Nicky 2012/11/20 13:41:57
    tredzwater
    +1
    My aunt was a dear, sweet woman who had the kindest heart in the world. But, she was really weird religiously.

She followed a flavor of Christianity invented by my cousin who became a "reverend" by declaring himself one. EVERYTHING was sinful and the only way you could get to "heaven" was to pray...constantly. And, I mean constantly. When she wasn't actually interacting with people, she was praying out loud. While cooking. At the grocery store. On the john. On a bus. (It was sinful for women to drive.) Her house was, quite literally, plastered with religious posters. She even wore Jesus aprons. She thought it too bad that her entire family was going to hell but that was ALL OUR OWN FAULT!

Luckily, she was the only one. The rest of the family was me, Catholic and Lutheran, one "So what?" and one very mild Born Againer. None of us ever saw "Reverend Tom" (not his real name...he's on the Net) because just entering our family doors would pollute him.

And, he was such a NICE little boy. I remember playing cowboys and indians with him.
  • Nicky tredzwater 2012/11/21 00:24:10
    Nicky
    +1
    No offense, but your aunt seems to be a bit obsessed with this praying thing and if-you-don't-pray-you-won't-g... stuff, my grandma is never like that, she's obsessed too, but not like that, she wouldn't tell us that if we don't pray, something bad would happen to us, she just tells us it is good to pray and if you're in some kinda trouble, praying is gonna help u through. She simply think it's good to believe in buddhas, but she doesn't say anything like your aunt to makes us feel uncomfortable or uneasy so that we would become a believer too. She usually does stuff based on her religion to hmm how to say this, like she would do certain things for us so when we die, we will end up in a better place, like she would spend money on releasing anmials from resraurants and markets, in buddhism, they believe every living creature has the equal to live, and it's wrong to kill them, so they release them and let them live and they see it as a righteous thing to do, and they believe in concequences, so the more animals you have "saved" , there are better chances that you wouldn't go to hell, it adds up to your"record" of being mercy kind and nice, all good elements. As for your cousin, I think he's a hypocrite, what a so-called reverend, if he thinks it'd pollute him if he got into your house, so be it, so what, apparently he think he's too good to be hanging out with non-believers
  • tredzwater Nicky 2012/11/21 00:59:08
    tredzwater
    +2
    Nicky, never underestimate the fanaticism of the "true believer".

And, yes, my aunt was really over-the-top. She was a good woman, as long as you could keep her off the topic of religion. I don't think my cousin was a hypocrite. Hyprocites are people who "preach" one thing and do another. He definitely practiced what he preached...every weird part of it.

I last saw him when he was about 24 and he was a sad, sad man. Even at that young age, he lived in constant fear of doing something, saying something, thinking something that would make his loving god burn him eternally. I think his beliefs were a strange mixture of "born-again Christianity" and the Dutch Reformed church in which he was raised.

Buddhists, pure Indian Buddhists, are atheists. But, Buddhism got mixed up with the pantheism of other Eastern nations and now, in a lot of places, it's sort of a hybrid between the two.
  • Nicky tredzwater 2012/11/21 01:43:42
    Nicky
    +1
    Oh i'd never do that, it's like the passion the groupie has for their superstars, you could never take it for granted, it's terrifying sometimes, and u have no idea what they are capable of.

okay, maybe that was a wrong choice of word but all i was saying is that it;s sad he wants nothing to do with your family anymore, it's sad that he doesn't realize how stupid it is, maybe he has his God but he'll need his family eventually, I have all the respect I can offer for any religion, except for cult of course, but it doesn't mean I agree with them, actually there are a lot of things that seem to me are absurd, like they don't make sense to me at all, what's worse is that those believers, they are kinda blinded like anything their religion tells them is right and they must do as it says, otherwise they fail, that's not how you worship your religion, it's just ridicilous.

Well, yes this religion is orginally from India, and spreaded all over asia at the very beginning, and now as there are more and more asian all over the world, it's become a worldwide religion like Christianity, it's good to have something to believe in, as long as it's right and under the condition where you don't hurt other people, but when you cannot tell right from wrong, it's pointless
  • Sister ... Nicky 2012/11/21 01:45:56
  • tredzwater Nicky 2012/11/21 01:48:44
    tredzwater
    +1
    Nicky, I believe in nothing.

Also, I don't respect theists. Why should I? They believe in invisible beings capable of all sorts of magical things.

Would you respect an adult man who, deeply and sincerely, believed that Santa would drop a Lamborghini in his driveway on the night of Dec. 24/25?

I would suggest he see a therapist.
  • Sister ... tredzwater 2012/11/21 01:52:37
    flooding my post
  • Nicky tredzwater 2012/11/21 02:14:06
    Nicky
    Hey pal, I see where you are coming from, I guess we'll have agree to disagree on this one, Cuz i'd still show my respect for an adult like that, even though I don't go with the idea that he still believed in Santa Claus, everyone has the right to fantasize and choose what they want to believe, maybe to him, we are crazy, and I don't know, I think if you want to be respected by others, you should respect them as well, it's a mutual thing, and I'm not saying you are wrong or something, just saying, everyone has their own thoughts, it's not as simple as right or wrong, black and white, just looking at things with different perspectives, you know.

Btw, what's your name? it's not fair that you know mine while i don't know yours, right? :)
  • genuineLolita 2012/11/20 05:54:43
    yes
    genuineLolita
    Especially family, as that isn't a choice, but I wouldn't join a group in which everyone believes something I don't, that would be boring. Also, I would think it difficult to find a group in which every member believes everything thing 100%
  • Night71 2012/11/20 05:39:42
    Night71
    So much garbage is said and fabricated it makes me sick. I honestly despise organized religion and have multiple reasons. I really hope you wake up to real life.
  • Kaleokualoha 2012/11/20 05:32:20
    yes
    Kaleokualoha
    +1
    People often join groups for social or professional reasons, even though they may not completely agree with group beliefs. In some countries, membership in organizations may be essential to advancement, so members pay lip-service to organizational goals.
  • jonnyrawcon 2012/11/20 05:26:26
    yes
    jonnyrawcon
    +1
    Happens to me all the time
  • timothy.hill.14 2012/11/20 05:22:29
    yes
    timothy.hill.14
    +1
    One needs only to spend a bit of time at college. There are so many dumb ideas and causes being tossed about half the time I was shaking my head at the end of each day.
  • JohnT 2012/11/20 04:29:19
    yes
    JohnT
    +1
    One of my best friends and I disagree on religion and politics but we stay away from sensitive subjects and it is a all good.
  • flrdsgns 2012/11/20 04:14:03
    yes
    flrdsgns
    +1
    Absolutely
  • Al B Thayer 2012/11/20 03:41:39
    yes
    Al B Thayer
    +1
    For some reason..........yes.
  • cjd 2012/11/20 03:21:38
    yes
    cjd
    +1
    that's how life is
  • ★misfit★ 2012/11/20 03:12:06 (edited)
    yes
    ★misfit★
    +1
    I'm a member of the United Methodist Church, and I don't agree with everything the denomination stands for. Yet I choose to remain a member because I do like a lot of aspects of the church, and it's the church my family goes to. I agree with most aspects of Libertarianism, but there are exceptions to that too.

In my opinion, if you accept what any group teaches 100%, you're not the brightest bulb on the tree. This is the main beef I have with the "hardcore" conservatives on this site. They accept what their party says 100% and don't understand anyone who doesn't have this "all or nothing" attitude. To them, you're either an angelic conservative or an atheist demon liberal. I suggest you just ignore these folks.
  • ZB 2012/11/20 02:30:20
    yes
    ZB
    +1
    It's called being an individual.
  • Rosalie 2012/11/20 02:24:10
    yes
    Rosalie
    +1
    I do!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/11/20 01:07:51
    yes
    NarcolepticGoat
    +2
    Otherwise one would end up all alone in a group of one, and even *then* there would be internal disagreement sometimes.
  • jgh57 2012/11/20 00:27:51
    yes
    jgh57
    +2
    I think God has plans for all of us. He leads some of us down different paths but it is all part of his plan.
  • AL 2012/11/20 00:25:20
    AL
    +1
    Not when it comes to the evils of same sex Marriage and abortions I can't! I refuse to go against my personal faith to support evil leaders and their views as well!
  • Riobhca 2012/11/20 00:24:18
    yes
    Riobhca
    +1
    We would never learn anything from each other if we all thought the same way about everything. Individuality is what makes a group grow and evolve.
  • Ben 2012/11/20 00:07:35
    yes
    Ben
    +3
    Yes. Most members of any organization or group, be it religious, political or other, disagree with part of that groups beliefs. It's human nature - we're all individuals with individual thoughts and beliefs tempered by our experiences through life.
  • Sister ... Ben 2012/11/20 00:15:26
  • Elz 2012/11/20 00:01:10
    yes
    Elz
    +1
    i think so.
  • Jim 2012/11/19 23:36:30
    yes
    Jim
    +1
    If there is harmony on sensitive things, like politics, religion, socio-economic status, then everything else is just harmless variety.
  • Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥ 2012/11/19 23:35:15
    yes
    Dave Sawyer ♥ Child of God ♥
    +1
    Since no two people have the same beliefs 100%.
  • j2 2012/11/19 23:33:06
    yes
    j2
    +1
    If you think for yourself.

2014/09/17 22:00:42