Can teachers strike if they say or feel that they need too?

GrooVy 2012/09/10 03:15:16
Yes. Teachers are entitled to the same options as other employees.
No. Teachers have a duty to teach kids regardless of desire or pay.

Teachers said they would walk off the job Monday if no deal was reached with the nation's third-largest district by midnight on issues such as pay, job security and evaluations.

Chicago teachers are poised to go on strike for the first time in a quarter century. Some parents spent Sunday worrying about how much their children's education might suffer. Others wonder what to do with their kids while they're at work.

Parents have been waiting nervously for word of progress as city and union officials send messages that are discouraging one day and encouraging the next.

Read More: http://www.mail.com/news/us/1550596-parents-plan-k...

• ☆stillthe12c☆ 2012/09/10 03:18:14 (edited)
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +3
    Any service type job should never be allowed to organize, period. If they strike replace them and send them on their way. For our kids sake dismiss them anyway. Most are not worth their salt. Just look at how well our children are doing.

• JoLost 2012/09/11 02:23:30
    JoLost
    Collectively.

The right of affiliation.

Individually, the right to negotiate the terms of employment.
  • Top Shelf® (oyo) 2012/09/10 21:53:08
    Top Shelf® (oyo)
    if they feel it's the only way to get
    what they deserve,by all means,strike.
    my mom has been a teacher longer than
    i have been alive,so i tend to side with them.
    fail gif
  • Chibi Guru Z 2012/09/10 13:47:52
    Chibi Guru Z
    Yes, absolutely.
  • Gwen 2012/09/10 03:37:19
    Gwen
    +1
    They want the teachers to work an extra hour longer but for no greater yearly salary than last year.
  • doc moto 2012/09/10 03:23:36
    doc moto
    +2
    If I was a teacher, I know my job and career was to educate the youth of my city or town and I would not allow anything to hinder or come against that of which I had pledged as my duty and honor... I do not care for unions except one, that of a man and a woman in 100% commitment and any man or woman that is not 100% should not get hooked up! You can learn that during recess or after lunch before study hall... If anything on negotiation, it should be done once every three years and during the summer months while the student are getting recharged prior to the new school year; I believe that any further disturbance should find those that do so be taken to those FEMA Camps and held there till the next negotiation meeting! That end that and you all are dismissed!
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    +3
  • SimianSays ☆stillt... 2012/09/10 03:46:38
    SimianSays
    +1
    I like the sarcasm.
    Good work.
  • ☆stillt... SimianSays 2012/09/10 04:07:54
    ☆stillthe12c☆
    Thank You!!
  • GrooVy 2012/09/10 03:18:00
    GrooVy
    +1
    Parents should look for ways to help the school meet the teachers needs if they expect the school to be able to maintain their teachers.

Parents should be responsible for their offspring. This is not solely a job for others, including public schools and their teachers. Parents must stay involved!
  • Chibi G... GrooVy 2012/09/10 13:53:07
    Chibi Guru Z
    +1
    I agree. There are too many people in our country who put off onto the rest of society ("US!") what should be their own responsibility. And in no other area is this more true than the raising of their children. My Parents always made sure their kid's needs were met, including educationally. But I think there are to many "adults" who seem to think it's the school's responsibility to actually raise their kids!

2014/04/20 20:58:28