Can Guys and Girls Be Best Friends?

hulk1234 2010/09/01 15:22:00
Related Topics: Friend
Yes, Of Course!
No, I don't think so.
Can a guy and a girl be best friends, or are they destined to fall for each other?

• HiYa 2010/09/03 00:34:48 (edited)
    No, I don't think so.
    HiYa
    +4
    In my experience this is fantasy. Men and women can share a modest association yes, but not a close friendship. I have attempted to have platonic male friendships, and sooner or later... It was always revealed that there was an attraction (on my so called "friends" part). I think the only way this is feasible is if the male is genuinely not attracted to the female (or gay) and has no sexual curiosity towards her.

BTW, they may be able to enjoy a close friendship if the sexual curiosity has been satisfied. Otherwise the man will be distracted. Sorry guys.

• tyrajds 2014/05/24 01:22:15 (edited)
    No, I don't think so.
    tyrajds
    Under some circumstances. Gay and tom girl friendships work. I have a boy best friend and its not working out. We are so close that we both like each other and its a mess. I have even kissed him and afterwards was like "we are still best friends". So I guess it all depends on how you feel about each other.
  • evangeline pappas 2014/01/20 19:48:46
    Yes, Of Course!
    evangeline pappas
    yes I think a guy and a girl can be best friends because I have more guy friendsthan I do girlfriends because guys don't judge they do but they don't and plus its less drama guys don't ever start drama I have 2 guy best and true friends and there freakin awesome I don't know what I would ever do what out them so yes a girl and a guy can absolutely be best friends
  • katieh1000 2013/08/15 23:58:42
    Yes, Of Course!
    katieh1000
    Yes, Because not all best friends turn into something more. :DD
  • Chloe katieh1000 2014/04/22 15:58:22
    Chloe
    +3
    Yes not all best freinds turn to something more. One of those freinds might want to be more than freinds without you Knowing so Im Kinda stuck In the Middle.
  • savannah 2013/06/02 21:28:58
    No, I don't think so.
    savannah
    I don't think guys and girls can be best friends. Just regular friends, yes. In most cases the guy really cares for the girl. But it's too late because the girl already friend zoned him. Or even worse best friend zoned him. Most people at it's the girl that wants to be with the guy. But from what I've seen, its always the guy that develops the feelings first. Almost every best friendships I've seen between guys and girls, ends up in one getting extremely jealous, or they get together. A few people I know, Rey ended up getting drunk and having sex with their best friend. And waking up the next morning in he'd with eachother, and that was the start to their relationship.
  • sophia 2013/03/21 03:58:36
    Yes, Of Course!
    sophia
    of course I have two BEST guy friend I love them, not that way but the friends way and who know if we get closer and closer who knows we might date but I really don't think so
  • kaitlyn98 2013/03/20 02:09:03
    Yes, Of Course!
    kaitlyn98
    Yes! Of course they can. My best friend is a guy and I love him to pieces. Not like that though. I also have a boyfriend that I'm deeply in love with. Both of them are cool with each other. I even hug my best friend in front of my boyfriend and he doesn't care. I really do love my best friend. He's one of the greatest guys in the world. =)
  • lathika panda 2013/03/11 03:21:25
    Yes, Of Course!
    lathika panda
    I agree girl and boy can be best friend for ever they can share everything but the same think I wanna say they 2person must have sense..and must have some limit.
  • monkeynut01 2013/02/26 02:58:11 (edited)
    Yes, Of Course!
    monkeynut01
    Yes!!! Definitely. I have 3 best friends that are guys and we are just friends, no strings attached. Of course it also depends on who you are hanging out with. My one guy friend has 2 other friends that are girls and we are all totally cool with each other. So I think definitely!
  • Bertie22 2012/12/18 03:13:07
    Yes, Of Course!
    Bertie22
    Yeh course they can be best friends without an attraction towards the other, I got a girl best friend (Kristi) who I love to bits (but not in that way) she's like a sister towards me n I've only known her about a year n half :-) plus she has a boyfriend anyway who I'm also good mates with aswell, if I had sum feelings in that way towards her it'd b like havin feelings in that way towards my sister which is just plain weird lol so yeh.. In my opinion they can defo be best freinds
  • Hm. 2012/12/01 04:11:34
    No, I don't think so.
    Hm.
    I'd like to think they can. But then my best friend and I fell for each other, granted it did take some time.
    I feel as if people commenting are confusing friends with best friends. What is this nonsense of "I have five best friends"? Maybe if you all grew up together it is understandable, but can you really have that many BEST friends? I fear that some use the term too lightly, but then again maybe I take my friendships too seriously. I differentiate between really good friends and best friends.
    Also, I see comments of girls saying "I am a tomboy, so I connect more with guys and therefore I wouldn't be more than friends with them..." when I am in fact the same way. And look what happened to me.
    Sorry for the negativity, I tend to expect the worst of others.
  • Minecore3 2012/10/24 03:07:19
    Yes, Of Course!
    Minecore3
    Yes, my best friend is a girl, we used to date, but now we don't. And we are like brothers/sisters to each other. I love her, but not in a romantic way. And I have a girlfriend, so that's another reason I don't like her as anything more than a friend.
  • tubendo 2012/09/26 02:25:36 (edited)
    Yes, Of Course!
    tubendo
    I'm a guy, and my best friend's a girl. I am completely straight too.

The weirdest part is she is a tomboy / female gamer, so it works perfectly (I AM GAMER!).

Seriously. People this day think guys like me are gay. I am anti-gay. No offence to gays, but I really hate them. You know. Men were not meant to be feministic.

But I have to say, I have had a crush on her for a long time!
  • lhondyn 2012/06/30 16:48:54
    No, I don't think so.
    lhondyn
    it doesn't work out too well.
  • Ryan Ransom 2012/04/06 03:49:58
    No, I don't think so.
    Ryan Ransom
    +1
    Everyone loves their best friend. When a guy has a girl bestfriend they love them and that feeling gets stronger and stronger until they have feelings that will either: A) stay hidden in the person and leave them to suffer with knowing that you will never be more then friends or B) they tell the other and ruin the friendship.
  • erik.si... Ryan Ra... 2013/01/04 15:58:33
    erik.silva.3192
    +8
    Well that kinda happend to me and my bestfriend cuz me and her talk everyday and I started liking her
  • estmon 2012/03/08 19:50:09
    Yes, Of Course!
    estmon
    I have four amazing guy's best friends that I love them to death. We all have been best friends for a good 5 years now. I'm the only girl in the group and yes I'm straight :)
    Their amazing they have seen me in my best and in my worst. no feelings have grown whatsoever towards one another at least I think so? lol
  • jg7 2012/03/05 10:54:57
    No, I don't think so.
    jg7
    girls are so naive. if its not you that likes him, he's definately thought of you naked more than once. there's one reason guys will talk to a girl more than other girls... you'll never guess what that is.
    incidently, i will admit it can be different for like childhood friends.
  • John 2011/10/25 01:23:50
    Yes, Of Course!
    John
    I have been best friends with a girl since fourth grade. We've never have been attracted to each other. Now, we are both married to different people and still are friends. So, yes, but I think I didn't have a crush on her because of me liking someone else, but that's another story.
  • jenish Tamrakar 2011/07/09 20:11:08
    Yes, Of Course!
    jenish Tamrakar
    sure they can The only thing is trust!!!! but there shouldnt be any negative thinking. i too have a best friend and she is the bestest friend a person could ever have. and i m not in love with her.
  • Patric 2010/12/15 20:38:31
    No, I don't think so.
    Patric
    +2
    the sex thing always, and yes, always , comes in to play... always..
    speaking for my self, not for the rest of the guys..
    always.
  • NewlyNamed 2010/11/30 18:46:32
    Yes, Of Course!
    NewlyNamed
    Sure they can. I've been platonic best friends with the same person since I was a freshman in college. There's never been a sexual moment, although I suppose after all our living ancestors have passed on, we might choose to marry for the sake of convenience. I think I have about five good lifelong friends, and she is one of them.
  • faisal 2010/10/01 07:13:25
    Yes, Of Course!
    faisal
    This is like asking can harmony exist... frankly if it get's to the point where you have to ask you should realize something is very very wrong. Everyone has a choice to be good, but everyone is choosing to be evil. Therefore it becomes impossible. Honesty integrity.. that is the only way you will ever get what want. Bible says you do not get what you want if your prayers are in lust, only if they are in spirit. but many people are devils and grow into crooked deceitful snakes as a result.. I know because I am one
  • NewlyNamed faisal 2010/11/30 18:48:34
    NewlyNamed
    Maybe you can expand on that a little?
  • scbluesman13 2010/09/07 18:34:00
    No, I don't think so.
    scbluesman13
    +3
    The best friendship thing between guys and girls is total fantasy. Usually one is harboring a deeper desire or love for the other, but too afraid or unwilling to be honest about how they really feel.
  • CoinToss 2010/09/07 15:31:33
    Yes, Of Course!
    CoinToss
    I've had and have dozens of friends who are male that are my best friends ever 83 only about two are gay and only one that has told me they had a crush on me. So yes, I def think that a girl and a boy can be bestest friends and not fall for each other ^^
  • GLaDOS 2010/09/07 14:00:53
    Yes, Of Course!
    GLaDOS
    +2
    If there is absolutely no attraction between them, yes. But, very often guys end up friends with girls that they're attracted to.
  • KateMurray 2010/09/07 07:22:35
    Yes, Of Course!
    KateMurray
    For starters, I think you may be ignoring the fact that not everyone is sexually geared towards the opposite sex. That aside I think yes because I have many male friends and in fact I find that the longer I know someone the less inclined I am to fall for them.

For me there is a definite barrier between friendship and love or sex and I have as yet never been confused between the two and hopefully never will be either.
  • KILL~PARADISE~l<3ver 2010/09/06 21:09:56
    No, I don't think so.
    KILL~PARADISE~l<3ver
    +2
    I`ve had tons of guy best friends and I always end up crushing on them.
  • Lofasz 2010/09/06 16:41:14
    Yes, Of Course!
    Lofasz
    +1
    If the guy is gay and the girl is a lesbian.
  • tamaria w 2010/09/06 15:47:03
    Yes, Of Course!
    tamaria w
    yes duh i thank so because i have a best friend named chesly and he is the bestest friend a person could ever have
  • IMRAN 2010/09/06 12:15:17
    Yes, Of Course!
    IMRAN
    +1
    Yes, of course, if the girl is unattractive. ;-) Even then, I can't guarantee that every male would or would not make a move depending on how desperate he was. :-)
  • KateMurray IMRAN 2010/09/07 07:24:39
    KateMurray
    +1
    Well ain't that the pot calling the kettle black. That's terrible that you judge people by their looks, grow up mate.
  • Steph 2010/09/06 11:04:54
    Yes, Of Course!
    Steph
    +1
    if ones gay or you dont have too much alone time.. lol :)
    OR your just both really well restrained
  • ~Captain Ryu Kiryu~ 2010/09/06 06:40:24
    Yes, Of Course!
    ~Captain Ryu Kiryu~
    I don't see why not.
  • WshngMchn 2010/09/06 04:56:50
    Yes, Of Course!
    WshngMchn
    +2
    Definitely possible, usually complicated.
  • NikoConona 2010/09/06 03:24:18
  • Fates 2010/09/05 21:03:22 (edited)
    No, I don't think so.
    Fates
    +1
    i think they can on the girls side, but i stand by the fact that guys don't talk to girls unless they are trying to get in there pants maybe 85% of the time.

iv seen it toooo many times to believe otherwise : /

i know i can though lol

but i guess you could say "what makes you different?!" thats just something you would have to find out yourself haha
    for me i think the best relationship is having a best friend that you love more than just a friend.
    someone you can play a game with or do casual friend things and still have that intimate feeling about
  • kingplutoxiao1 2010/09/05 20:38:59
    Yes, Of Course!
    kingplutoxiao1
    Of course. I have 2 sets of friends.

One male set, and one female set. We all hang out. Matter affact, my closes friend on my male list is dating my closes friend on my female list because of me. I have no sexual relations with the female list at all what so ever, seriously for those who think its impossible for Guys and Girls to be best friends, in reality it is.
  • Faariha 2010/09/05 17:29:43
    Yes, Of Course!
    Faariha
    Yes. I have 2 best friends are guys. Besides, one of them already fancies someone else and the other one is just like a brother to me.

2014/10/31 02:01:33