Can Couples Have a Healthy Relationship Without Sex?

DANNY_B0i♛ 2010/10/04 13:30:01
Related Topics: Relationship, Sex

• Catfish Biff 2010/10/05 10:39:02
    Catfish Biff
    +8
    Adults can have a healthy FRIENDSHIP without sex. But that's what a 'relationship' without sex is called. I have lots of friends who I don't have sex with. But my RELATIONSHIP with my fiance is different - we have a physical aspect to our relationship that clearly separates what we have from any other people. I think sex is a key part of a healthy relationship.

But to each their own!

• Michelle 2014/03/16 22:57:17
    Michelle
    My boyfriend and I have been together for fifteen years. We had a wonderful sex life until I got sick about 10 years ago I am 53 and he is 50. Between my meds and menopause I have no sex drive and when we try iy is very painful for me.I try to please him anyway but it's not enough for him. He has become very mean, bitter. and says it's all in my head I don't know what to do and I believe it will end our relationship Any suggestions ?
  • OzSurfer 2013/01/06 12:17:01
    OzSurfer
    Some people seem to enjoy non physical relationships but I'd just die without some intimacy to look forward to.
  • wcpjams 2012/01/13 15:50:48
    wcpjams
    I'm sure there are people who could, but I am not one of them.
  • Ms Missy 2012/01/09 16:37:12
    Ms Missy
    but it takes more work, and you have to be able to be best friends during the lulls.
    (you can have a healthy relationship without 3-somes to...check out the pic closely....there are 3 sets of feet!)
  • A Lionheart 2011/12/29 05:42:35
    A Lionheart
    Of course. But not everyone of course. Every kind of relationship you could imagine is possible and probably exists within the 7 billion people on the planet. It depends on the two people in the relationship.
  • niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20 2011/12/29 03:09:47
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    I am familiar with the Thai Vertical Threesome but have never seen an horizontal one; thanks for making me feel dumb.
    Supposing that your question is about opposite gender couples that have a relationship, sex is indispensable not only to keep it going, but also to go forward and reach the pot of gold of intimacy; then you fall in love.
    It is easier if you fall in love (not lust) first, but that is a rare occurrence.
  • Rave 2011/12/28 17:22:02
    Rave
    I understand that people (Myself including) enjoy sex, but to those who said a couple CAN'T POSSIBLY have a healthy relationship without sex, that's very sad. What about asexuals, older people who no longer can have sex, people who fall ill and can't have sex; does that automatically make the relationship unhealthy? Of course not.

I also do not believe having sex defines a relationship, because if it did, hell I've been in a relationship with quite a few friends and people that I hardly knew without knowing, since I've had friends with benefits and had some hook ups.

A relationship is different and not defined by sex because it feels different, firstly, ideally you love the person you are with, you care about them, you support them etc. Sex is totally great when you have it, but it is not what keeps your relationship healthy, and if it is then I suggest you reevaluate how healthy your relationship is in the first place.

Now I haven't ever been in a seriously committed relationship, yet had sex with quite a few people, this is because the emotional bond is a lot more important for me when it comes to a relationship, and until I can be 100% certain that I truly feel that way about a person and that the foundation of the relationship is not based on us having sex, I will not commit to them.
  • Dyanna 2011/12/28 09:02:02
    Dyanna
    +1
    As people get older they realize that there is so much more to a relationship than sex. It plays a part, but companionship, friendship, trust, parenthood are so much more. Sex is an act, a relationship touches your soul.
    In your 20's, 30's and 40's the physical act is important but as you get older or having been in a marriage for 25, 30 years the emotional part is what sustains a marriage.
  • middlesex1957 2011/12/28 04:42:05
    middlesex1957
    +1
    yes, a couple can have a healthy relationship without sex. However, it won't be an intimate relationship. It will be like siblings living together, or best friends sharing a life togeher but it will not have the dynamic of a sexual relationship. Touch and giving your partner pleasure, getting so close you're not sure where he/she stops and you start lend a whole emotional, spiritual and physical dynamic that simply won't be there otherwise. When I was young and foolish enough to believe that if I could have sex with a woman it meant I was bisexual enough to marry her my best friend and I married. It was a disaster. We always felt uncomfortable trying to have sex, gave it up and then both became unspeakably lonely despite still being best friends. We always felt we hadn't divorced, we'd annulled - because we never should have married and never achieved anything close to the marriages we both ended up in (both of us marrying men). Our friendship was great, but with no sex it was no marriage.
  • starguide 2011/12/28 03:52:13
    starguide
    the intimacy will always be missing... but id both are forfilled,,, then it could work
  • WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA 2011/12/28 03:48:33
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Not unless both people in the relationship agree to it, otherwise, it is really unfair to the person who wants sex.
  • Lacreti... WhereIs... 2012/08/23 19:08:09
    Lacretia Cross
    +3
    And why can't it be unfair to the person who don't when on the other hand the person who does is always wanting it. I apologize but i don't agree because it is unfair on both sides and it puts emotional stress on the topic
  • Pele Emerging 2011/12/28 03:43:15
    Pele Emerging
    +2
    Only if both parties feel that sex is not a priority. If one person decides that the relationship is fine without sex without getting the approval of the other, is won't work. The one who isn't getting any is going to feel deprived.

Sex isn't everything, but it can be a very important way to connect both physically and emotionally.
  • jeniijo!BN! 2011/12/28 03:30:05
    jeniijo!BN!
    +1
    I suppose.. but what's the point..
  • Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC 2011/12/28 03:24:03
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +4
    My wife has leukemia and is too sick for that. AND I LOVE HER.
  • WhereIs... Nam Era... 2011/12/28 03:49:25
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    But in that case, she can't help it and it is understandable.
  • Nam Era... WhereIs... 2011/12/28 03:55:57
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Yes ma'am you are 100% correct.
  • starguide Nam Era... 2011/12/28 03:54:21
    starguide
    +1
    bless your heart
  • Nam Era... starguide 2011/12/28 03:56:10
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    +1
    Thanks
  • middles... Nam Era... 2011/12/28 04:48:36
    middlesex1957
    +3
    I think that is an entirely different thing. We all committed to "in sickness and in health" and if we even remotely respect our spouces let alone love him/her we don't abandon him/her if they become too ill or handicapped for sex. We love them, care for them and stick by them and don't count the cost or wallow in self pity. You're a good man, and a good human being.
  • Nam Era... middles... 2011/12/28 04:50:11
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Thanks and I agree with you.
  • WhereIs... Nam Era... 2011/12/28 05:57:28
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +2
    You are a good man. I would stick by my husband no matter what too, and I think that goes both ways.
  • Nam Era... WhereIs... 2011/12/28 19:57:57
    Nam Era Vet #1 DNA TLC
    Yes ma'am. I had serious illness in 1999. And she was with me all the way.
  • WhereIs... Nam Era... 2011/12/30 05:24:45
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    Glad to hear it.
  • missfit 2011/12/28 01:31:54
    missfit
    +2
    It would be very hard, but if you love someone it's possible. There could be an illness that prevents sex and if you loved the other person it would be pretty shallow to give up on the relationship. Sex is only a part of a relationship. True intimacy can be had without it. And you can have sex without intimacy. However sex sure does make it nicer.
  • TrueAmerica 2010/10/15 08:19:53
    TrueAmerica
    +2
    HELL NAW!!!
    naw
    naw
  • -Everlasting of Thade- 2010/10/08 21:26:54
    -Everlasting of Thade-
    +2
    Well...I've sworn to chastity, so I should hope so. My boyfriend understands and respects this, and he says he doesn't care, if I don't want to I don't have to.
  • WhereIs... -Everla... 2011/12/28 03:50:23
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    If it is a dating relationship, I don't think there is or should be any obligation for sex.
  • chasden -Everla... 2013/12/18 11:21:06
    chasden
    +3
    Thank you..so much... I can't wait to find a guy like that for me.. I do not want sex....at all...ever.... and I'm so scared I'll never find someone because of it... Nowadays, it seems like that's all guys want.. I just want someone to love me....without the sex.. and it to be considered a real relationship...I've cried many times, feeling like I'd never find someone, because of this part of myself...
  • xcheshirecat 2010/10/05 17:50:31
    xcheshirecat
    +2
    sex isn't only the intercourse
    Maybe 2 persons out of thousands will both not love sex, but the probability they are made for each other in the other parts of life is even lower
  • GirlyGirl™ 2010/10/05 16:29:39
    GirlyGirl™
    +3
    I couldn't...not in a million years.
  • uknowit 2010/10/05 10:55:25
    uknowit
    +2
    Join the discussion. Share your opinion with millions!
  • Catfish Biff 2010/10/05 10:39:02
    Catfish Biff
    +8

But to each their own!
  • Rave Catfish... 2011/12/28 17:13:22
    Rave
    It's sad when someone thinks that sex defines a relationship, isn't the fact that you love the one you're with and care for them as if they were yourself the key part of the relationship? That you trust them more then others and that you are always there for each other. Also you can show other affection apart from sex.

Sex is just a fun activity and a nice way to bond, but without it one can have a healthy relationship.

If people really believe it is sex that separates them from being just a friend, it is no wonder our divorce rate is so high.
  • chasden Rave 2013/12/18 11:21:59
    chasden
    +3
    Thank you..so much._.
  • Sasha 2010/10/05 09:38:41
    Sasha
    +1
    Your gonna get in somewhere.. If my BF isn't/doesn't wanna screw me, I'll find someone that will.
  • Butch Cassidy 2010/10/05 06:56:39
    Butch Cassidy
    +2
    I have healthy relationships with many woomin.

healthy relationships woomin
  • Charlie 2010/10/05 05:48:07
    Charlie
    +1
    If you really love someone you want to be with that person even if it was non-sexual.
  • WhereIs... Charlie 2011/12/28 03:52:14
    WhereIsAmerica? ~PWCM~JLA
    I agree with that only if the other person is not able to have sex for some reason.
  • chasden Charlie 2013/12/18 11:23:03
    chasden
    +2
    I cant wait to find that guy who doesn't want sex... ha...this website makes me feel not so alone.. ;~;

2014/07/23 11:55:19