Can autism be reversed?

SAM 2007/09/21 19:17:58
Yes with lots of patience, support, and communication Autism can be reversed.
No. Autism can't be cured, but it can be treated behaviorally and/or medically.
Autism is a developmental disorder in children often characterized by impaired communication, excessive rigidity and emotional detachment. Through McCarthy's book "Louder Than Words: A Mother's Journey in Healing Autism," she reveals her struggles to reverse the effects of it on her son, Evan John Asher. She gives a hindsight and current view of how she deals with her son's autism.

Like many mothers, McCarthy interpreted all of Evan's behavior in the most positive light. The flapping of his hands. How he played (or didn't play) differently than other kids. His pre-occupation with spinning objects. These were all things she thought were just unique to his personality.

Now with her boyfriend's help Jim Carey, "There will be no certificate," she says. "It goes far deeper than that. Jim came into our life with an open heart and open arms. He's learned a lot about autism. He listens. The power of listening. It can move mountains." She calls Jim Carrey the "Autism Whisperer"

• Scott 2007/09/21 21:15:50 (edited)
    Scott
    +6
    A lot of cases have popped up where people feel that a child has been "cured" of Autism. Cured is a big big word. It implies a lot of things. I don't feel that we can say autism can be "cured" when we do not fully understand the disorder.

The thing is, autism will effect people in different ways. Some people are more functional than others and we just don't understand the differences.

• patblue1947 2008/10/05 21:59:44
    patblue1947
    Maybe some day there will be a more reliable treatment and hopefully a cure.
  • ntech 2008/10/03 19:38:26
    ntech
    Yes, but only through intensive therapy and only if recognized very young. Many parents don’t want to admit there is anything wrong and they waste valuable time in getting their children the help that they need. At a young age, the brain can be rewired through intensive therapy. My daughter was born with PDD autism and through the dedication of some great therapists; she mainstreamed in 1st grade and is thriving.
  • tanzy 2008/10/02 05:48:58
    tanzy
    I once read a book that was written by a guy who used to have autism. He still displays some features of it he said. Lots of OCD. He could remember things about his childhood and tried to explain why he acted the way he did. I remember one part of it he said he felt that a glass water should never be put on the table and he'd push it off everytime it was. I wish I could remember the name of the book. It was very eye opening.
  • ♥N A♥ 2008/05/24 18:11:11
    ♥N A♥
    I think it is something you will always have. But it is manageable and treatable. I think like how some people will always have anxiety and depression problems but, they get therapy, take med's or learn to manage it.
  • ♥N A♥ ♥N A♥ 2008/05/24 18:11:24
    ♥N A♥
    I HAVE STARTED AN AUTISM GROUP WITH QUESTIONS IF ANYONE HERE HAS A CONNECTION WITH AUTISM. YOU CAN FIND IT ON MY PROFILE PAGE.
  • Ace~Mr.Giantess~ 2008/04/12 04:31:42
    Ace~Mr.Giantess~
    I was diagnosed with some form of high functioning autism back about 9 years ago when I was in 5th grade. It got worse and worse as I grew older but I am fully aware of it now and I believe I can control it.
  • Artillery12 2008/04/11 12:05:13
    Artillery12
    its sad
  • ntech Artille... 2008/10/03 19:43:17 (edited)
    ntech
    You are wrong. My daughter was cured through intensive therapy, six days a week where they literally re-wired her brain. She mainstreamed in 1st grade and is now a loving, compassionate and brilliant young lady. The only way to cure them is to start really young. If a parent denies that their child has a problem and lets precious time go by then it could end up being too late.
  • deadpyro 2008/03/06 21:27:52
    deadpyro
    i know a few people with autistic problems and some of them havre had it for most of their lives, iwould like to believe that there is a cure but there isnt and i believe there are ways to manage it but not to cure it
  • Deanna 2008/01/09 20:40:15
    Deanna
    Heaven only knows, but I sure hope so
  • NICKI70 2007/11/29 19:53:12
    NICKI70
    I worked with autitic children for about 5 years and I think it can be managed if you get a dioagnosis early...It take alot of work and there are diffrent degress of it they call it the spectruma and children fall all over this spectrum..... Just like ant other condition ex. chronic pain, it can be managed but never cured you will have good and bad days..
  • Animox 2007/09/26 20:09:47
    Animox
    I think if you catch it early enough you can reverse lots of the damage if not all. I think the mercury connection is real and there could be other factors that act as a catalist. We need research companies that are not getting any of their funding (for any research related or not) from pharmacutical companies to look into all the causes of autism. We can't trust government sponsered research either as they have been controlled by the big drug companies for decades.
  • Bronko 2007/09/26 17:29:44
    Bronko
    +1
    I am the parent of a special needs child. There is no cure, but I will never give up. You can always make the situation better
  • kimmpossiable 2007/09/25 00:22:24
    kimmpossiable
    +1
    A beautiful book, bye jenny... She gives such hope and inspiration.. I think anything is possiable... lOVE IS A MIRACLE...
  • annette 2007/09/24 18:40:47
    annette
    +2
    at least that's what i believe
  • Bryan 2007/09/24 17:32:22
    Bryan
    +1
    Why would you want to? That person livings life carring about only a vedio game, lunch and a "scubby doo lunch box". What? They don't fit into the Caucasion perfect circle? So what now, its broken? Okay, agree, we will break it, gather all the broken pieces and arrange it so that its now our "perfect" thought, and it can now fit into out circle?Get the F out of here, love that person for what they are, and idolze them, for i wish i had only those worries!!!
  • SAM Bryan 2007/09/26 15:47:54
    SAM
    So you wouldn't mind if you had children with autism?
  • Bryan SAM 2007/09/26 18:55:07
    Bryan
    First i would mind having a child period. But then after, i would fucking hate it with passion, but doesn't change the fact that if, GOD FORBID (WHOEVER GOD YOU CALL TO!) i was dealt that hand, i would play it to the best of my ability. My brother has a slite case of autism. He is 18 still a PUNK! But love him
  • Foo Master Angie 2007/09/24 14:31:11
    Foo Master Angie
    +3
    My cousin is autistic. They found it very, very early, and he has been seeing specialists for it for over 10 years. He is doing very, very well, even socially. BUT, he is still autistic. There's no doubt about it that he's not "the same" as the other 15 year olds. I think that they are doing terrific things for people with autism, and that those who have it can learn to live with it, and become functional adults, but, as of right now, I don't think it can be "cured."
  • Eager Beaver 2007/09/24 05:21:42
    Eager Beaver
    +1
    i should read more about this before i can really give my opinion
  • B4Real2Me 2007/09/23 23:00:41
    B4Real2Me
    +1
    Yes, I know of cases where mostly Mommas have been able to break into their child's self imposed prison and retrieve their child. It took a LOT of hard work, a LOT of praying, a LOT of patience, a LOT of love, a LOT of not listening to the doctors but listening to their hearts and six sense and just a LOT of a LOT.
  • chilton~T~ B4Real2Me 2007/09/24 03:46:12
    chilton~T~
    +2
    You can definitely break into that prison, work with them endless hours and pull them out to an extremely functional level.... to a place where they have lots of social interaction........It just isn't possible to reverse it or cure it. You see much less of the effects and limitations. That is not the same as a cure. Endless prayers and superabundant love can make an enormous difference.
  • B4Real2Me chilton~T~ 2007/09/24 18:26:21
    B4Real2Me
    You know autism isn't anything new. I'm 44 years old and when I was 36 I was diagnosed as having OCD with a slight case of autism. My Mom said that when she took me in around 2 years old and after I got my shots I sort of shut off. That she would have to constantly touch me when talking with me because I would just zoom out somewhere in my own little world and appear to be daydreaming. That she told me doctors but they thought that she was just over reacting because she was a young mother with two little ones (my Sister is 3 years older than me) and that my Mom was under a lot of stress because my Dad was in Vietnam. Either way, long story short it was because of the love, patience, understanding, prayers, hard work, dedication and support of my Momma and family that kept me from going into that self imposed prison. At times when people talk with me they still have to touch me to bring me back. I can sometimes feel myself floating away and can come back on my own but sometimes I can’t. There are times where I have to stand in front of the TV or in the back of the movie theater so that I can focus and not zoom out. I do the finger thing where I play with my fingers to calm me down and I love rocking because it too is comforting.

So I know there’s no cure but you can reprogram...

So I know there’s no cure but you can reprogram children (and especially if they’re caught early on before they slip too deep into that self imprisoned world of theirs) to live in this world of ours as oppose to their own little world. I’m proof!!!
  • chilton~T~ B4Real2Me 2007/09/24 18:32:10
    chilton~T~
    You are definitely proof that a proactive loving family with a plan of active intervention can bring a child (with God's grace) up to a maximum level of functioning. You are proof of miracles around us everyday! I get mad when people say there is a cure. It's cruel and wrong. Congrats to you and your family on fighting so hard! It's worth the fight for our children.
  • B4Real2Me chilton~T~ 2007/09/24 18:53:22
    B4Real2Me
    Thank you and what really upsets me are the doctors that try to tell parents that there's nothing wrong and that they're over reacting. My Mom and I both went into the medical field to try to change this practice and to tell parents to listen to themselves and their children because they know more than what any doctor can and will ever know.

No, there's no cure but there is life to live and the self imposed prison can be opened and knocked down.

I thank heaven for mothers like Toni Braxton, Jenny McCarthy, Holly Robinson Peete and even Rosie O'Donnell for all the wonderful work that they're doing in getting the word out there to the masses.
  • chilton~T~ B4Real2Me 2007/09/24 19:05:37
    chilton~T~
    I haven't heard Jenny McCarthy first hand, but someone told me she's claiming a cure. Is that true? There are a lot of celeb parents that have been doing good work in public awareness and research for years. We've met some at the National Autism Conventions. If you've never been, please try to go. They have a panel of young adults every year that field questions and tell what their parents did that helped them.
    Btw. My son's pediatrician told me he hated taking care of nurses kids, they always 'find' something (i had asked about the possibility of autism). I told him I needed a referral to a Pediatric psychoneurologist and we would be changing MD's. The Ped. P-N spent 20 minutes with my child and said "ma'm. what is your question? Your child is classically and profoundly autistic." I almost said 'ya think?'. That was at 16 months and it has been non-stop working, seeking, trying and pulling our sons out of their 'locked in world' into ours. They both are doing beautifully and surpassed all the professionals expectations....I LOVE IT ! I'm glad you and your mom are in the medical field to effect a change!
  • B4Real2Me chilton~T~ 2007/09/24 19:54:16
    B4Real2Me
    No, she was just recently on 'The View' I think and she didn't claim a cure but she too talked in reference to listening to yourself and your children and not necessarily the doctors. She also talked about early detection and working right than to fight for the return of your child back into our world and pulling them out of their world. She even gave Jim Carey credit for being like the 'Autism Whisper' with her son and how he was able to connect with her son.

I will definitely look into the National Autism Convention.

Even though I've been like this, the way that I am and was diagnosed when I was around 36 and I'm now 44, it is still a daily struggle for me to stay in this world and not to revert into mine. I do things and thank heaven I am OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disordered) because that helps me maintained staying in this world and doing what I have to do to stay focus. It’s a struggle but I’m proud and happy of the person that God has made me to be. We all have our crosses to bear and this is mine. Sure the cross could have been lighter but than again it also could have been harder.

Love your children and just be reluctant on working whatever works for you and them in keeping them in this world of ours. Help others along the way and let us just get the word out there. We don’t have to lose this battle because THE VICTORY IS OURS!!!
  • chilton~T~ B4Real2Me 2007/09/24 21:26:27
    chilton~T~
    Thanks! It's good to hear that news about Jenny M.
    There's a part of me that would never want to erradicate all of the autism in my sons because they have a unique perspective of the world that delights friends and family. I can say that now but my kids are 'out' and prospering. Best wishes to you in your journey. If you haven't read Temple Grandins' books, you should. She has autism and is a highly successful woman with her own business and holds many patents.
  • B4Real2Me chilton~T~ 2007/09/24 21:39:13
    B4Real2Me
    +1
    Thanks, I'll look into her books.

Oh, I even appreciate the work that Don Imus and his wife are doing in getting the word out about us special people. I know we're all special people in God's eyes but those of us who have conditions/issues (attacks sometime coming from satan) and we're able to overcome them... we're special.

Again, thanks for you, your children and everything you're doing.
  • chilton~T~ B4Real2Me 2007/09/24 21:50:22
    chilton~T~
    Sure thing! Are you aware that there is an autism Group at SH?
  • B4Real2Me chilton~T~ 2007/09/24 21:51:26
    B4Real2Me
    +1
    No, I have got to check into them.

THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP!!!
  • SAM B4Real2Me 2007/09/24 15:28:55
    SAM
    Education, conversation, and a whole LOT of patience!!
  • B4Real2Me SAM 2007/09/24 18:27:52
    B4Real2Me
    Oh, don't forget pray because if you don't know God, you will get to know and depend on HIm. If you know God already, you're really going to get to know Him better. Prayer is so powerful and does changes things.
  • just.me1983 2007/09/23 20:25:20
    just.me1983
    +2
    There's no reversal when it comes to developmental disabilities. The progression/severity can definitely be improved by behavioral therapy.
  • S.Sif:* 2007/09/23 14:57:50
    S.Sif:*
    I don't know what autism is.
  • mrigor S.Sif:* 2007/10/20 16:02:02
  • S.Sif:* mrigor 2007/10/20 20:55:09
    S.Sif:*
    Thanks =]
  • shirlstermcg 2007/09/22 20:03:33
    shirlstermcg
    +1
    Ive seen the effects of autism reversed. In some cases like the above wheat or Gluten free diet did the trick in others they underwent surgery received some type of drug and came out of the surgery no longer exhibiting the autistic behavior. I am no Doctor but even in our own family my nephew who has Asberger's syndrome ( a syndrome that is on the spectrum) has been helped a great deal with medication. He has been able to make eye contact and be more loveable all around.
  • Albert 2007/09/22 19:37:36
    Albert
    +1
    I read a study that linked autism to a lack of mirror neurons. Mirror neurons are a part of the Central Nervous System that enable us to mimic other peoples actions. Children with autism lack this capacity to mimic, so they must learn through analysis. They have to analyze the actions and then determine how to control there bodies to do the same. This makes learning a very difficult endeavor for anyone with autism. This is not a mental retardation, it is a lack of Neurological function. People often don't fully understand what autism is even most medical professionals still dispute the real cause and effects.
  • mrigor Albert 2007/10/20 16:04:03
    mrigor
    +1
    Good info!

2014/09/02 19:24:30