Can a person really be delivered from being a homosexual with prayer and counseling?

Kalee 2009/01/29 20:54:03
With Ted Haggard in the news these days stating he is working on deliverence of being homsexual by prayer and counseling, I wondered what you guys think about the situtation.

Haggard told talk show host Oprah Winfrey on Wednesday that the scandal forced him to work through his "issues" with homosexuality.

"I was dying. I had settled in my mind exactly how I was going to commit suicide," Haggard told Winfrey. "I was preparing, and in my life, Jesus came to me and he said, 'Now, now I can save you.' "

The interview also addressed the latest scandal involving the embattled pastor. In a statement from Haggard that Winfrey read at the end of the program, Haggard denied having "physical contact" with a second man whose allegations of an inappropriate relationship with Haggard surfaced recently.

Haggard, who appeared in the prerecorded interview segment with his wife and two of his three children, said he continues to struggle with homosexual urges but insisted he is not gay.

Ted Haggard on 'King'
Former pastor Ted Haggard and his wife tell their story to Larry King.
Thursday, 9 p.m. ET on CNN

see full schedule »
Haggard continues to have "sexual thoughts about men, but they're not compulsive any more, and I do have temptations, but they're not compulsive," he told Winfrey.

He said one therapist described him as a "heterosexual with homosexual attachments," and he admitted to struggling with homosexual urges all his life.

"I do believe I don't fit into the normal boxes," Haggard said. "I do think there are complexities associated with some people's sexuality, but it just wasn't as simple as I wanted it to be, because I was so deeply in love with my life."

But, he added, "I had this other thing going on inside of me too."

Haggard founded the Colorado-based New Life Church in his basement in 1984 and oversaw its growth to a megachurch with some 15,000 members. After the scandal, he was fired from the church in 2006 and also resigned as president of the National Association of Evangelicals -- a group that says it represents millions of people in 45,000 evangelical church congregations nationwide.

Don't Miss
Disgraced pastor Haggard facing new sex allegations
His fall followed allegations from male escort Mike Jones about a sex-for-money relationship that involved drugs.

"When it first started to happen, I lied about it because I was so ashamed, and it was the first time that that dark area of my life that I had worked so hard to keep secret and fight against was coming to the surface," he told Winfrey.

"I thank God, though, that in this process, I am where I am now and that accusation and the scandal had a lot to do with that," he said.

The interview aired as Haggard tries to combat the latest allegations. A senior pastor at New Life Church in Colorado Springs, Colorado, said Monday that the church agreed to pay the second man -- a 20-year-old church volunteer -- in exchange for his pledge not to talk publicly about the relationship with Haggard.

After the taped segment, Winfrey read a statement from Haggard about those new allegations.

"Even though there was never any physical contact, I have regretted my irresponsible behavior," Haggard said, referring to allegations from a man he identified as Grant.

"I apologized to Grant, my family and the church two years ago. I now ask him again for his forgiveness as well as the people of the church," Haggard said.

In the past three weeks, the man told New Life Senior Pastor Brady Boyd that he was considering going public with his story because Haggard was portraying himself as a victim in an upcoming HBO documentary called "The Trial of Ted Haggard," which is scheduled to air Thursday.

• Warfinge 2009/01/30 23:28:25
    God can do anything
    Warfinge
    +18
    I believe that God would never expose someone to more temptation than they could resist if they chose to resist. I believe deviant sexual behavior is simply confusion and bad impulse control. Prayer is not magic, it's your relationship with and your faith in/ love of God. Knowing that gay sex is particularly offensive to God should be enough to discourage you. Assuming of course you believe in and love God. love god gay sex offensive god discourage assuming love god

• God-Cil... justonemom 2009/01/31 02:57:16
    God-Cilla (Saviour to the Masses)
    :(
  • Bob Kat 2009/01/30 23:19:25
  • tone gotti 2009/01/30 22:36:31
    tone gotti
    +3
    I'm heterosexual and christian but not even Jesus could make me homo. heterosexual christian jesus homo
  • oldcavpilot 2009/01/30 22:34:43
    oldcavpilot
    +3
    The idea that sexual preference is anything but inborn is absurd.

If you want to preach religious dogma, do so. Swearing at and calling people who disagree with you names makes you appear to be anything but Christian. Did Jesus teach intolerance?
  • mebaria oldcavp... 2009/01/31 00:08:47
  • oldcavp... mebaria 2009/01/31 00:32:19
    oldcavpilot
    +2
    I'll meet you there.
  • (;Soℓℓ.❤ 2009/01/30 22:29:51
    (;Soℓℓ.❤
    of course u cant change someones sexuality. if your born straight then your born straight and if your born gay then your born gay and if your born bisexual your born bisexual. its not a question of prayer and believing in god.
  • mebaria (;Soℓℓ.❤ 2009/01/31 00:09:30
  • (;Soℓℓ.❤ mebaria 2009/01/31 03:50:32 (edited)
    (;Soℓℓ.❤
    ok...make sense next time.
  • Vickytoria600 2009/01/30 21:44:38
    Vickytoria600
    +2
    you are born a homosexual. sexual prefrence has to do with the brain and chemical reactions and all that, it's been proven. you can't change WHO YOU ARE no matter how much you pray. it is not a sin to be homosexual. and i hate all these uber religious people who say homosexuals are the devil and all that bull shit. this is just like when people belittled those of a different color. God created them didn't he? he loves them for WHO THEY ARE. God doesn't discriminate!
  • mebaria Vickyto... 2009/01/31 00:10:04
  • semperfi 2009/01/30 21:42:04
  • Sociali... semperfi 2009/01/30 22:12:49
    Socialite Lola
    +1
    You have some issues buddy! LOL

issues buddy lol issues buddy lol issues buddy lol issues buddy lol issues buddy lol issues buddy lol
  • wolfshadow Sociali... 2009/02/03 22:05:07 (edited)
    wolfshadow
    +1
    His issues would be internal... look at the name...

The Marine Corps has the highes percentage of Gay members...Not all have come out yet. issues internal marine corps highes percentage gay members
  • mebaria semperfi 2009/01/31 00:11:15
  • semperfi mebaria 2009/01/31 14:15:59
  • God-Cil... semperfi 2009/01/31 02:12:31
    God-Cilla (Saviour to the Masses)
    +1
    Look at the figure about the consensus of causes of homosexuality.
    The more education people have, the more they believe it is something you are born with. Now doesn't that say something?
  • semperfi God-Cil... 2009/01/31 14:26:49
  • justonemom semperfi 2009/01/31 02:57:05
    justonemom
    What do all the pictures of the actors have to do with the issue?....Just curious.
  • semperfi justonemom 2009/01/31 14:28:01
  • God-Cil... semperfi 2009/01/31 23:36:36
    God-Cilla (Saviour to the Masses)
    Sodom was destroyed because of pride, failure to help the poor, and lack of hospitality to foreigners. Not because there were gay people.
  • semperfi God-Cil... 2009/02/02 14:53:38
  • 477777 semperfi 2009/01/31 05:43:01 (edited)
    477777
    Well it is obvious to me you should pull your dick out of your

obvious pull dick

you sodomite!
  • jeedai semperfi 2009/02/03 18:23:51
    jeedai
    Wow, are you Satan?
  • semperfi jeedai 2009/02/03 20:45:43
  • jeedai semperfi 2009/02/04 00:22:29
    jeedai
    Sounds like you have issues...
  • semperfi jeedai 2009/02/04 15:56:07
  • jeedai semperfi 2009/02/04 16:08:56
    jeedai
    Interesting...
  • Fabio 2009/01/30 21:24:26
    Fabio
    +2
    Ted Haggard is a raving lunatic if he thinks he can "change" a person's sexual orientation. That's how you are born, and that's how you die. Besides what he suggests is nothing more than "mental reconditioning" or plain old brainwashing. Which means, he'd rather torture people's minds into thinking that homosexuality is an awful sin, than accepting them as they are. That's sickening.
  • mebaria Fabio 2009/01/31 00:11:49
  • Fabio mebaria 2009/01/31 02:06:02
    Fabio
    i wav my devil :-) wav devil
  • ralphie Fabio 2009/01/31 00:21:56
    ralphie
    +1
    He's not proclaiming homosexuals are evil..he's saying he is ,and wants to change his life so he can enjoy the love of his wife and family.
    If he remains celibate and does not engage in any more homosexual affairs, don't you think he deserves the chance to try...knowing how deep seated his addiction may be...I think you above all others would applaud his attempt to be come normal in the eyes of his family.
  • bretchris03 2009/01/30 21:11:28
    bretchris03
    +2
    I truly believe people are born with it, because who in their right mind would choose to be gay & potentially have a rough life because of it. Their are eight gay people just on my mom's side & four on my dads side, plus me! I am religious and I believe God can do anything, I also believe its based on your faith & how much you have. If you are happy or have a good arrangement with your wife, then whatever, as long as you don't hurt anyone in the process. God, loves everyone and made everything in the universe just the way he wanted. If god can forgive and/or love prostitutes, murderers, theives . . .etc. he can certainly love me for being gay. I don't hurt anyone, or sleep around, or spread diseases and I try to live a decent christian life according to the bible. I read the bible and take it at face value. There is no complicated hidden meaning & I don't like people who twist it to serve their own agenda. Also, the bible was written by man and man makes mistakes and could have even written his own thoughts instead of gods. People who say god cured them of being gay are either full of shit, or "one of those people" who are easily convinced or brain washed.
  • mebaria bretchr... 2009/01/31 00:12:39
  • Davidaaf mebaria 2009/01/31 17:06:25
    Davidaaf
    I'm neither stupid nor confused. I'd bet my IQ and understanding of life would put you to shame. You really enjoy posting one liners don't you!

mebaria posted Dec. 26, 2008 07:53 p.m. (edited) You know I love you !!

That was what you posted to Jimmy O, he is gay and one of your SH's

So, I guess you are a liar and hypocrite....let's not forget that you are also a boob!
  • ACB4Val... bretchr... 2009/03/20 09:40:38
    ACB4Values~Extreme Patriot
    He did not make adulterers, and who goes into marriage saying I am going to cheat on my wife or husband. Who choses to be addicted to drugs, but they try it one day and begin to enjoy and then they are addicted. They did not choose to be, and they were not born to be that way. People change their behavior everyday, and they do things that are not always the easy way or things that they would necessarily want to do. They can change that, or should we give up on all drug addicts, alcoholics, or even adulterers. Should we tell them to just give into their desires. God loves everyone, but he does not allow the sin in our life for anyone. He loves the prostitute, but only forgives them if they ask for forgiveness and turns from the sin. When the adulterous girl was brought before Jesus to be stoned. He did tell them you without sin cast the first sin, but He told her who condemns you - then neither do I, go and sin no more. He told her to not sin anymore. He also did not turn to the religious that were ready to stone, and say go and commit adultery and allow homosexual marriage.

This argument that someone cannot change their sexual preference with prayer is calling them a liar. Oh, but you would not do that they must be brainwashed then. Jesus healed the blind, made the lame to w...'''

This argument that someone cannot change their sexual preference with prayer is calling them a liar. Oh, but you would not do that they must be brainwashed then. Jesus healed the blind, made the lame to walk, cast out demons, so surely changing someone's attractions to the same sex would not be a problem for Him. But you said that God can do anything, but I guess that He can't do. That must be the only thing that He can't do.

Just you saying that they did not change because you have not changed does not make their change a possiblity. Your life experiences do not dictate all life experiences.
  • socallocal 2009/01/30 21:04:54
    socallocal
    +2
    First off please give an answer choice that doesn't support your feeling on the subject. Second, if you want solid proof that homosexuality can't be changed by religion look no farther than Ted Haggard. He told his wife years ago that he had changed his homosexual tendencies through faith but did that really happen? The men he slept with would have to say no. I'm a strong advocate of the human mind and it's capability to do miraculous things but changing your sexual preference is completely different. Oh yes and in case we have forgotten IT'S NOT WRONG TO BE HOMOSEXUAL. Please keep biology and religion separate.
  • mebaria socallocal 2009/01/31 00:13:42
  • socallocal mebaria 2009/02/02 19:32:09
    socallocal
    Again, let's not cross politics with biology please
  • semperfi socallocal 2009/02/04 15:41:45

2014/07/24 20:11:11