California Wants to Expel Students for Sexting: Is It a Good Idea?

If you're sexting during school, you may want to put the phone down -- before you get expelled.

According to Babble, California wants to get tougher on sexting -- or sexy text messaging -- and they're looking into a serious consequence.

California Senate votes to make sexting grounds for expulsion.

State senators unanimously passed a bill that would allow school officials to expel students for sexting. Calif. state Sen. Ted Lieu, who introduced the bill, says sexting is a growing problem in California schools, with 20 percent of teens reportedly sending nude or semi-nude pictures of themselves via text.

Is expelling students for sending a sexy text the answer?

Read More: http://blogs.babble.com/strollerderby/2011/06/02/s...

• Tom 2011/06/03 14:09:31
    Tom
    +11
    ..........but it doesn't go far enough. They should take the phones away and make a school learning institution, not a party.

When I was in school, you could get expelled for cursing, smoking, bullying, fighting, smart-mouthing, being continually late, skipping class or just generally being anti-establishment. School management today is full of wooses who seem to nee zero tolerance rules to be able to make a decision.

Children, growing up with no restrictions, are products of Anarchy and never learn to respect rules. Subjects like this one shouldn't even be in question...... and that's my opinion.

• Navin Johnson (The Jerk) 2014/09/20 11:13:39
    Navin Johnson (The Jerk)
    wow. i thought Cali would be all for that!
  • ankhorite 2011/08/09 15:49:30
    ankhorite
    Trying to censor the teens' speech is a First Amendment violation which could be permissible during school hours, but not otherwise.

But besides that, the teachers are teachers, not cops or super-censors. Let them teach. Let them confiscate the phones until the school day is over. But don't make them try to decide what's "sexy texting" and what isn't.

Schools should act against texting during classes PERIOD, and not initiate illegal viewpoint-based discrimination by singling out only "sexy" texts for punishment.
  • Sara 2011/07/25 00:31:22
    Sara
    School is for learning! Not socializing so if the school has the rule no phones then this would not be a concern
  • ~FallenAngel~ </3 2011/07/16 03:01:44
    ~FallenAngel~ </3
    it's their own personal stuff, it's nunna their business! y the f*ck should they care??shouldn't it b the parents decision whether sexting is wrong or not??...& did they find out anyway?? o-O'
  • janine 2011/07/14 21:43:01
    janine
    whoah! nooooooo! even though sexting is very wrong, don't you think explosion is enough? fisrt off your invading in private space, which is illigal. second, i say suspension is enough. Unless the kids retarded, i think he's learned his lesson
  • katie 2011/07/05 08:19:01
    katie
    The only reasen i say no is because the government or what ever dosent need to be looking at everything im doing
  • ankhorite katie 2011/08/09 15:53:32
    ankhorite
    +1
    Agree! If it's a public school, it's considered to be the government, and so the 4th Amendment's expectation of privacy should apply.
  • TyroneLengert 2011/07/04 00:46:04
    TyroneLengert
    It is simply inappropriate. As simple as that. Anyone who disagrees is a pervert. Or a cyber-bully.
  • MrSexyPants 2011/06/27 22:06:32
    MrSexyPants
    +1
    I think if u wanna send sext in school, go right ahead. If they get caught doing it, getting caught doing it is punishment enough!! lmao!! Expulsion is just taking it overboard. At the most I'd say dentention, but expelling a kid for sexting on their OWN personal phone, is just too much...
  • mivic 2011/06/24 22:59:48
    mivic
    +2
    I seriously fail to see the problem. Frankly, it's kind of a privacy invasion. How is it the teacher's business what messages the kids send or receive?
  • jabo 2011/06/24 07:05:29
    jabo
    +1
    Yes, because kids don't know when to stop.
  • SkreamKid 2011/06/23 05:59:27
    SkreamKid
    +1
    effing retarded! let them do what they want, if they are gonna flunk out for something as stupid as sexting, then so be it! let them flunk, but don't expel them for that...expel a kid for threatening to shoot, bomb, something stupid or even doing the act, but not sexting....
  • YouYou 2011/06/20 18:58:40
    YouYou
    Suspension as opposed to expulsion.....perhaps up to a week at a time maximum for first offense.
    Administrations have no business nosing in on personal letters/notes; that is invasion of privacy-against the Constitution and a federal offense.

YouYou
  • pat 2011/06/20 14:45:09
    pat
    Now how would the teachers know that you are 'sexting' ? HOW? Is 'big brother' monitoring these phones somehow? And if you are in class why are you using your phone? That alone should be grounds for dismissal. Your phone should be in the OFF position when you are at work, at school, at the doctors office or anywhere where your full attention should be not worrying about what is going on your phone. Man up. Turn the damn thing OFF! Life will still go on even when your phone is off. You can catch up later. Grow up!
  • kyungwonjung 2011/06/20 12:23:39
    kyungwonjung
    duh, that doesn't mean they actually make out and stuff
  • ikat62 2011/06/17 18:56:13
    ikat62
    No. What the hell? Its not even the act of sex. Its a text message. And schools shouldnt be reading our texts, how would they like it if our parents went through their personal computer history and found porn?
  • Annabella ikat62 2011/06/22 03:29:07
    Annabella
    that is so true .what would our prents say about the teachers looking at that crap.
  • Otaku Link 2011/06/16 13:42:44
    Otaku Link
    Definately a suspension should be an option. But outright expulsion is a bit much.
  • disclaimer 2011/06/16 05:54:52
    disclaimer
    Yes, I agree. One thing, though: how would the school know if sexting was going on? 1984 much?
  • Klynn 2011/06/14 23:08:49
    Klynn
    Sexting should definitely be penalized and I understand school punishing for texting during schools. However, the school has no right to be reading the student's messages. Therefore, they shouldn't know if the messages are "sexy" or not.
  • booboorocks 2011/06/14 15:42:32
    booboorocks
    +2
    They shpuldn't be worried about a cell phone in school anyway especially sexting, they should be worried about their education.
  • The NJ Ladybug 2011/06/12 18:56:58 (edited)
    The NJ Ladybug
    Expulsion from school? SEXTING doesn't originate (usually) in school. It doesn't seem "fair" that a "crime" committed one place, should remove you from some place else.

BTW, can't we make schools a "dead zone" for cell phones? That would solve the cell phone problem. No taking pictures of tests, no "Come to the lav." messages. Gee just room in the school day for learning.
  • jabo The NJ ... 2011/06/24 07:10:07
    jabo
    I have been in medical buildings where they have the equipment to jam cell phones. I tried and kept getting call failed on my screen.
  • cuteri97 2011/06/11 15:20:52
    cuteri97
    +1
    kids shouldnt be texting in school. however, the school should not have the right to read your messages
  • The NJ ... cuteri97 2011/07/03 19:06:51
    The NJ Ladybug
    The problem is not that the school has "read" the sext-message, it's that it was brought to their attention! Stop and think: how would the principal, say, have the technology to access anyone's cell phone?

Schools get involved because the student body is in such upheaval because of the "sex" pictures/video and the viral distribution of them. You guys on the "outside" think about the "crime" - but teachers panic over the kid or kids involved. Why the deviate behavior? Did someone get the kid drunk and then take advantage? Is it a kid who's been raped? Is it a kid on the verge of suicide? Can this kid be saved? Is someone enticing these kids to "sext", and the dumb kid doesn't realize the consequences? like FOREVER!
  • Hezzie69 2011/06/11 12:30:38
    Hezzie69
    Its their life and seriously just let us teens make our own mistakes because we hopefully will learn from them. Like more than half of the teen population are having sex or doing other things. Besides Schools are just stupid if they are reading the text message, half the time it isnt even sexting so get over it.
  • Julie Hezzie69 2011/08/21 03:49:48
    Julie
    Well geting pregnant and puting it all on your family to take care of is kinda dumb dont you think? I mean If they let kids do whatever this will happen and it has because the parents dont care or there daughters and sons dont care. Also you have a big heart ack because the guy leaves you because you had the baby or that he only wanted sex from you thats not to bright why run your virginity to some loser at school that dosen't see you the way you want him too. And you think he does untill the end. And everyone at school will talk about them. Does that sound good and you could meet a child rapest would that make you happy if that happened because they let the teen do whatever? You could meet him on the enter net or at school or any where like walking with your friends to the park at night because you wanted to. My causin just because she wanted to she oh most died by walking to the park alone every day and it was sunny and this guy with a red truck came stalking her and when she went to go home he followed her. She doged for the house near by and banged on the door than just stayed there she thought she lost him but wasnt for sure shes 16 when this happened. And finally made it home safe. Do you think that that would be such a smart thing to say let teens like my self make our ...
    Well geting pregnant and puting it all on your family to take care of is kinda dumb dont you think? I mean If they let kids do whatever this will happen and it has because the parents dont care or there daughters and sons dont care. Also you have a big heart ack because the guy leaves you because you had the baby or that he only wanted sex from you thats not to bright why run your virginity to some loser at school that dosen't see you the way you want him too. And you think he does untill the end. And everyone at school will talk about them. Does that sound good and you could meet a child rapest would that make you happy if that happened because they let the teen do whatever? You could meet him on the enter net or at school or any where like walking with your friends to the park at night because you wanted to. My causin just because she wanted to she oh most died by walking to the park alone every day and it was sunny and this guy with a red truck came stalking her and when she went to go home he followed her. She doged for the house near by and banged on the door than just stayed there she thought she lost him but wasnt for sure shes 16 when this happened. And finally made it home safe. Do you think that that would be such a smart thing to say let teens like my self make our own mistakes because will learn from them. What if you cant because the guy hurt you? And my causin could of died for makeing that choice of her own. I only say this because I want you to think about it I dont want you to go threw what my causin went threw I dont want anyone to ok?
  • Julie Hezzie69 2011/08/21 03:53:42
    Julie
    hay hez did you here about that guy who broke into the womans house and was trying to drink her blood? He is crazy right?
  • Headshot760 2011/06/11 05:29:42
    Headshot760
    I think expulsion is too much. Suspension is more reasonable.
  • Julie 2011/06/10 15:23:51
    Julie
    +1
    yes I think they should people have died fom txting people so It is a big deal. But they should have there parents told about this and talk some since in to these parents also. But they should keep a close eye one these people because they probly dont care enough to stop no matter what. It would be good if the school had a talk to them about how serious this is show them details of what happens to people who do this. look up about what happens to people in these incidents but if you are txting some guy or girl you KNOW BE CAREFULL DONT LOOSE WHAT YOU HAVE NOW!! undecided WHAT how could yopu be undecided about this dont loose your virginity to some guy maybe one you thought was your lover or you got cought in his trap so you just fall in to his arms than when he drops you than you will feel sorry. You will feel like you thought he cared about you or how you felt he dosen't. He just knows your valnerable even if you are a loner to eveyone out there here me out It does not mater you cant love them they dont love if they do if they want more than that still stop you cant meet them you can't touch them you can't here them they might sound romantic but they might be useing you. Or think they cant hold you they cant love on you. JUST THINK PLEASE I dont want to hurt you by sayin...
    yes I think they should people have died fom txting people so It is a big deal. But they should have there parents told about this and talk some since in to these parents also. But they should keep a close eye one these people because they probly dont care enough to stop no matter what. It would be good if the school had a talk to them about how serious this is show them details of what happens to people who do this. look up about what happens to people in these incidents but if you are txting some guy or girl you KNOW BE CAREFULL DONT LOOSE WHAT YOU HAVE NOW!! undecided WHAT how could yopu be undecided about this dont loose your virginity to some guy maybe one you thought was your lover or you got cought in his trap so you just fall in to his arms than when he drops you than you will feel sorry. You will feel like you thought he cared about you or how you felt he dosen't. He just knows your valnerable even if you are a loner to eveyone out there here me out It does not mater you cant love them they dont love if they do if they want more than that still stop you cant meet them you can't touch them you can't here them they might sound romantic but they might be useing you. Or think they cant hold you they cant love on you. JUST THINK PLEASE I dont want to hurt you by saying this its just true life sucks people suck. And than we die WEll thats how I think of it I never feel that well I have to tell my self it will get better its hard to bare but trust me you will feel better saying no than yes. THINK ABOUT IT. THEY will try to find you they will and when they do they will kill you. I still can't beleave It is true my self but those people do exist.JUST LET IT SINK IN OK. WILL YOU???? FIND a hobby to do dont get addicted like I omost did. Dot tell your name or address or last name I dont care please dont do it. I dont want to say this and than you do it any ways and kill your self. When hard times come around just bare with me as I say this dont kill your self please talk to your mom or sister or a family friend boyfriend that you see at school and he cares and listens to you tell him not just anyone make sure he sees you for who you really are. IF YOU READ THIS YOU WONT REGRETY IT. JUST STOP BEING DUMB LIKE MANY DO AND ATNOLIGE that this is not a good way to say hay I got a life because you dont he will never meet you. OK!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Op4 2011/06/10 05:33:09 (edited)
    Op4
    +1
    Regardless of the type of use or content involved, if phone use is disrupting class then the schools should address it.

That said, there are at least two big problems with this. First is that yet another nanny state (not surprising that it's a state like California) makes the decision to legislate a penalty regarding an issue which is outside government purview. If a kid is sending that type of message to someone else, whether it's during school hours or not, it's something their family should handle. All that a school should need to do is temporarily confiscate the phone and notify the parents.

Secondly, this is another in a long line of poorly thought out no tolerance policies which have not resulted in improving the schools or student performance. I have yet to see where suspensions, and/or expulsions for things like hair color, drawing "threating" stick figures, and other equally criminal acts, has helped to better educate students in the slightest. I have no doubt that in time there will be cases of kids getting expelled for something that wasn't sexting, but was taken as such or thought to be close enough to count by a clueless school staff member.

It's somewhat ironic that the same people who support minimum sentences for certain criminal offenders in are unanimously in...

It's somewhat ironic that the same people who support minimum sentences for certain criminal offenders in are unanimously in favor of maximum penalties for non-criminal students. There is also a certain hypocrisy in the democrat dominated California senate unanimously deciding that students should be expelled for the something that's considered acceptable behavior for a democrat member of the U.S. congress.
  • The NJ ... Op4 2011/06/12 18:51:27
    The NJ Ladybug
    Lots of luck with making this stick. Or getting parent support.

In the first place, there can hardly EVER be a reason why a student should be using a phone in school. (exception: I once had a senior who was a volunteer fireman.) It should be put in the locker at the start of school and not retrieved until school ends. If a parent (or work) needs to contact a student, he/she can either call the school and have the message relayed - or he/she can leave a message that the kid can get at the end of the school day.

School is for learning. Like school stuff. Not for the free lunch. Not to be with your friends. And, not to be a place where mom and/or dad can leave you for babysitting. (And, oh, tell the teacher that she can't correct the exposed butt, boobs, or belly!) Certainly not a "studio" to create "porn".

Unfortunately, SEXTING doesn't originate (usually) in school. It doesn't seem "fair" that a "crime" committed one place, should remove you from some place else.

SEXTING - sending or receiving sexually explicit "data" - is scary. (and long-lasting) While it's yet again another life lesson the politicians are trying to dump on the schools, I'm not so sure simple expulsion will work. But, if expulsion is enforced, I would go after not only the "perpetrator" of t...

SEXTING - sending or receiving sexually explicit "data" - is scary. (and long-lasting) While it's yet again another life lesson the politicians are trying to dump on the schools, I'm not so sure simple expulsion will work. But, if expulsion is enforced, I would go after not only the "perpetrator" of the SEXT, but also whomever he/she was with at the time, as well as every kid who forwarded the pictures / message.

Some kind of enforced counseling (while REMOVED FROM THE SCHOOL ENVIRONS) is at least a start on trying to make the point that this is destructive, and somehow un-fixable behavior.
  • Op4 The NJ ... 2011/06/18 19:36:25
    Op4
    Considering the state this is happening in, and the wide variety of "no tolerance" policies already in place in school districts across the country, this may very well stick; at least for a time. Parental support may not matter here any more than it has in other instances where rules of this nature that have been approved. Ideally, this bill dies in the state assembly.

The problem with this is less the action of sexting itself, and more the government overstepping it's bounds yet again. Guiding the behavior of children should primarily be the responsibility of families rather than governments.

Unless more is involved than simple sexting, expulsion seems like an excessively harsh punishment in terms of the act. Your suggestion of enforced counseling is less
    draconian, but still seems somewhat extreme. Who would enforce it, and how would they do so?
  • The NJ ... Op4 2011/06/19 14:54:56
    The NJ Ladybug
    Hmmm. SEXTING in school would be what I would like to see addressed. I like my idea of having schools be "no cell phone use" dead zones. If it could be imposed only for school-in-session hours. That would solve the problem of kids arranging to skip classes, text each other, send copies of tests - and the answers. Gee, maybe kids would have to pay attention and LEARN.

Here's the point. If kids commit a crime outside of school, the courts handle it. If the kids commit a crime IN school, often the school (at the insistence of the parents) covers it up. Without appropriate professional attention. You can see why people want someone to FIX this, so they go in with a sledge hammer. EXPULSION (keeping a kid out of public school for that year and possibly for the rest of his/her school career) sure seems too severe, but SOMETHING should be done. For the sake of the sext-or, and to send a message to any other kid out there thinking about it. Let's face it, it IS deviate behavior.

SEXTING is the attack on the dignity of a person. You might even call it a form of BULLYING. It makes no difference that the kid may be doing it herself. (or hImself) And, with the forever and ever nature of the internet, those pictures will be around to haunt the young person ALWAYS. Talk about child abuse.
  • Op4 The NJ ... 2011/07/28 02:52:16
    Op4
    There are several issues at play here. I agree with policies limiting phone use in school, regardless of nature, provided the rules aren't along the lines of the poorly thought out (if thought out at all) no tolerance policies becoming so prevalent in schools throughout the country. However, no such policy would solve the problems you named, as kids have engaged in copying tests, arranging to skip class, and communicating messages, even sexual ones, with each other since long before the microchip came along. The technology changes how such things are done but it is not responsible for such actions.

As for sexting itself, it is not necessarily deviant behavior as you state. As in most things, the context and surrounding facts need to be considered. For example, if Weiner was sexting with his wife it would be considered a very different situation than if he was sexting with that seventeen year old. While it all might be considered undesirable behavior, consensual sexting between school aged kids is very different than unsolicited, unwanted, malicious, etc., sexts sent to a particular individual. In reality that should be true regardless of age group.

You've mentioned professional and enforced intervention as a means of dealing with this issue. As with expulsion, this too is a dis...

You've mentioned professional and enforced intervention as a means of dealing with this issue. As with expulsion, this too is a disproportionately strict measure unless there is much more to an individual instance, e.g. an ongoing pattern of threatening sexual texts, or accompanying stalking behavior, etc. A tenth grade couple exchanging sexts does not warrant professional counseling or professional anything, based upon that fact alone. It warrants their families talking to the kids, and perhaps the other kid's family. Kids sometimes don't think things through or do stupid things because they're kids. Though some parents might argue this, being a teenager is not a mental disorder. They should be taught the potential cost of a poorly thought out actions and how to apply good judgment when using the internet, not subjected to draconian punishments for the “crime” of being kids.

Beyond the problem of increasingly frequent government intrusion where it doesn't belong, what gets me most is the blatant hypocrisy. Politicians can cheat on their spouses, tell ridiculously transparent lies in effort to cover their infidelity, and have little or nothing happen to them for it. Yet these politicians want to hold students who have not yet fully matured, to standards far in excess of those that they hold themselves to. More of the “do as I say, not as I do” and “it's different when we do it” mentality brought to us courtesy of career politicians. That's the real problem here.
  • The NJ ... Op4 2011/08/07 22:16:10
    The NJ Ladybug
    +1
    This is an excellent response. Thank you so much. I like your opinion better than mine.
  • Op4 The NJ ... 2011/08/10 18:23:36
    Op4
    Thanks for providing your opinions as well. As I'm sure you know, civil discussion is sometimes a rare thing on SH; it's always nice when one comes along.
  • qwebster 2011/06/09 22:57:18
    qwebster
    +1
    i think people are allowed to make their own decisions, and times are changing. I probably would have taken part in my fair share of sexting if i had a cell phone when i was in school. then it was simply passing notes. school, although it is a learning institute its also a place where boys and girls of the same age coexist for 8 hours a day 5 days a week. its only natural for them to want to talk to each other and with the majority of the students having one it makes it very easy for sexting to happen. i think its only looked at as a problem now because back when it was msn or aim addresses instead of phone numbers, but thats the only reason why sexting wasnt as widespread until now. i feel like expulsion is a very extreme punishment for sexting and if kids parents these days are so worried about it then they can block texting on their kids cell phone account. thats just my opinion though.
  • simon6071 2011/06/09 20:32:01
    simon6071
    +1
    The American left and pseudo-liberals are out of their minds.
    They try to teach high school kids to accept homosexuality in California yet they punish heterosexual teens for sexting.
    What a bunch of shameless hypocrites!
  • simon6071 simon6071 2011/06/09 21:06:50
    simon6071
    +1
    The same shameless hypocrites also allows teens to cross state line to have abortions without consent of their parents. However, if they want to have tongue piercing, they must have parental consent. Yes, they are the same hypocrites who want to teach high school kids to accept homosexuality but bans heterosexual teens from sexting.

2014/10/25 19:47:56