California Jewelry Store Owner Fires Back at Armed Robbers: Would You Do the Same?

mrosen814 2012/08/03 21:03:15
A jewelry shop owner in Garden Grove, CA, open fired on five masked men attempting to rob her; at least one of the five thieves was armed.

“Our official recommendation is that business owners should not take the law upon themselves,” said Garden Grove Police Lt. Jeff Nightengale. “It is difficult because when you start shooting guns those rounds can end up anywhere. We would rather have the crime happen and have good witnesses rather than putting someone’s safety in jeopardy.”

ABCNEWS.GO.COM reports:
On Wednesday, five masked men poured into a jewelry store in a strip mall in Garden Grove, Calif., expecting to carry out a simple smash and grab robbery. But within less than a minute, they discovered they were no match for the store’s owner, a gray-haired woman whose finger seems quite comfortable on the trigger.

Read More: http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headlines/2012/08/cali...

• JingerJewels 2012/08/04 08:02:10
    JingerJewels
    +11
    I am a business owner and i would have no problem putting a hot piece of lead into someone who is trying to rob me Pink glock my best friend

• Ceo Twe... Debowman 2012/08/06 22:08:10
    Ceo Twentyfourseven
    A firearm is not ALWAYS the best defense. One shot usually leads to return shots. THEN who's safe? What about people walking by the storefront? Stray bullets from a lot of panicked gunfire take lives, too.
    The objective is DE escalation, not escalation.
  • Debowman Ceo Twe... 2012/08/07 02:27:49
    Debowman
    you probably want to ban guns like they did in Australia which resulted in a rise in crime. in fact 61% armed robbery 32% in murders 19% in home invasions,
    trained to shoot, that doesn't happens nearly as much as you want to think. People are not walking around wanting to shoot someone, well the criminals are,
  • Ceo Twe... Debowman 2012/08/07 02:35:01
    Ceo Twentyfourseven
    I LIKE guns. I like the KICK each shot gives off. I just KNOW that guns need to be AGGRESSIVELY regulated, and gun OWnership needs to be restrictively enforced.
  • Ceo Twe... diane.c... 2012/08/06 22:02:43
    Ceo Twentyfourseven
    One creative way to respond would be to fire off blanks.
  • Ceo Twe... diane.c... 2012/08/06 22:10:14
    Ceo Twentyfourseven
    The safest route is to get down, close your eyes and PRAY!
  • Debowman Ceo Twe... 2012/08/07 02:28:56
    Debowman
    I hope your never in that position, cause staring down a loaded gun, isn't fun.
  • Ceo Twe... Debowman 2012/08/07 02:37:09
    Ceo Twentyfourseven
    I've had guns pointed at me, by strangers, before. I STILL don't see the need to give in to fear and deny what I know is right.
  • lennon_... Ceo Twe... 2012/08/05 07:32:42
    lennon_love
    +1
    this is true, amen brothah. you speak in words of peace.
  • Marvelo... lennon_... 2012/08/06 12:16:20
  • lennon_... Marvelo... 2012/08/06 16:55:26
    lennon_love
    This is an interesting point you bring up. However, I for one am not in favor of killing a person to 'solve their problem.' It is more efficient, yes. And I feel it is odd to compare a shooting by the shop owner of a one-time offender (it could turn into more, yes) to a mass-murderer-bankrobber. Keep talking to me, though.
    And @ Debowman, I wonder why you consider putting criminals in jail to be protecting them? I don't know about you, but jail is not an easy place to live in my opinion.
    In general I think the problem lay in society. Stats show that 43% of all prisonmates (in a survey of 150 people, mind you) had teenage or single mothers. So, if we fix the concept that people should be independent family makers, among many other rotten concepts (like eye for an eye, and the concept that, if you're Christian, breaking the sixth commandment: You shall not kill: is fine for you only because you deem it's okay for this instance), we might see less killers running around. :)
  • Marvelo... lennon_... 2012/08/06 18:32:01
    Marvelous Wildfire
    You state: "This is an interesting point you bring up. However, I for one am not in favor of killing a person to 'solve their problem.'"

When the actual "problem" is whether the innocent lives or *DIES*, it makes choices much more limited.

You state: "It is more efficient, yes. And I feel it is odd to compare a shooting by the shop owner of a one-time offender (it could turn into more, yes) to a mass-murderer-bankrobber. Keep talking to me, though."

There isn't a hooker, that wasn't a virgin at one time.
    Why do you believe, that these POS, would have *STOPPED* committing violent crimes after just this one robbery? Especially if it had been successful?
    Statistically, criminals escalate in their violence, commonly leading to murder; if they aren't given a good reason to stop . . . like the risk of death for example.
    While this innocent intended victim *WAS* prepared against their violent crime, their next innocent victims may *NOT* be prepared, and may *DIE* because this jewelry store owned didn't kill the bastards.

You state: "And @ Debowman, I wonder why you consider putting criminals in jail to be protecting them? I don't know about you, but jail is not an easy place to live in my opinion."

But it was the *CHOICE* they made being *CRIMINALS*; A pine box, would be my preferred choice ...

But it was the *CHOICE* they made being *CRIMINALS*; A pine box, would be my preferred choice for them, especially for the good of Society.

You state: "In general I think the problem lay in society. Stats show that 43% of all prisonmates (in a survey of 150 people, mind you) had teenage or single mothers."

While that is a great ideology, it's just not practically applicable: When you are threatened with death, it doesn't matter that that the *VIOLENT CRIMINAL* didn't get an extra pudding when he was a child or anything else, not even only having a single mom.

You state: " So, if we fix the concept that people should be independent family makers, among many other rotten concepts (like eye for an eye, and the concept that, if you're Christian, breaking the sixth commandment: You shall not kill: is fine for you only because you deem it's okay for this instance), we might see less killers running around. :)"

Actually the correct translation of the 6th Commandment is "Thou shalt not *MURDER*"; HUGE difference!
    The Bible makes it clear, that had this Jewelry store owner killed those bastards, it would have been *Right* with God.
  • lennon_... Marvelo... 2012/08/06 19:24:06
    lennon_love
    Ah, I see. So, tell me more about the things God says that you have the correct interpretation of. ;) Everyone thinks they have it right.
    To not stray from the original point of this, it is my opinion that it is no power of man's to give themselves so much power as to take another's life. It is not okay for a murderer to murder, but just as much as it is not okay for us to kill the murderer (this is all my opinion! this is an opinion website). Just as much as it is not okay to abort a baby because it is taking another life. But no matter, no matter; thanks for sharing this with me :)
  • Marvelo... lennon_... 2012/08/06 20:15:35
    Marvelous Wildfire
    You state: "Ah, I see. So, tell me more about the things God says that you have the correct interpretation of. ;) Everyone thinks they have it right."

I don't have days to waste holding Bible studies here on SodaHead.
    But this should get you started: http://www.biblicalselfdefens...

You state: "To not stray from the original point of this, it is my opinion that it is no power of man's to give themselves so much power as to take another's life. It is not okay for a murderer to murder, but just as much as it is not okay for us to kill the murderer (this is all my opinion! this is an opinion website)."

Until cowardice went into vogue, it was considered a sin for one not to protect God's gift of Life from those who would wrongfully attempt to take it

You state: "Just as much as it is not okay to abort a baby because it is taking another life. But no matter, no matter; thanks for sharing this with me :)"

Of course there is no comparison between stopping a murderer from taking the life of an innocent, and endorsing the slaughter of innocent lives.

Have a great day!
  • Franklin Ceo Twe... 2012/08/05 12:08:50
    Franklin
    +2
    what makes a criminals life worth MORE than their victims life ? more than half the time now they will shoot the store owner at the end of the robbery ...O well the vocal minority identifies with the criminals and that is who you care about -
  • Prime T... Ceo Twe... 2012/08/05 16:20:09
    Prime Time Lime
    I agree,a person's life is worth more that their goods.It is not worth the risk.
  • Marvelo... Prime T... 2012/08/06 12:19:23 (edited)
    Marvelous Wildfire
    And how does the intended victim *KNOW* that "goods" are all they want?
    Do criminals wear signs to identify their intentions?
    Will they get in trouble with the "Criminals Union" if they kill someone who is compliant when they were only licensed to steal "goods"?

Reality doesn't support your ideology.
  • Prime T... Marvelo... 2012/08/06 14:32:28
    Prime Time Lime
    Actually reality does support it.
  • Marvelo... Prime T... 2012/08/06 16:10:37
    Marvelous Wildfire
    I posted a *REAL* example that says it doesn't.
  • Prime T... Marvelo... 2012/08/06 16:19:59
    Prime Time Lime
    One example is far from making it a reality in most cases.
  • Marvelo... Prime T... 2012/08/06 18:40:42
    Marvelous Wildfire
    Did my example *REALLY* happen?
    Then it *IS* reality.
    No, *VIOLENT CRIMINALS* don't always murder their victims, but far too many do, for the intelligent to ignore that fact.

How is the intended victim supposed to know if the *VIOLENT CRIMINAL* intends to only rob them?
  • Maddog Ceo Twe... 2012/08/05 16:40:55
    Maddog
    +3
    You've got to be kidding! Perhaps you would "make nice" with them and accede to their demands? This store owner did the right thing. There have been too many cases where victims cooperated with armed robbers only to be killed anyway. Not every life "is FAR more valuable" than others. These criminal scum forfeited their right to be treated humanely when they decided to commit an armed robbery and should be immediately taken out of the gene pool!
  • Drummerboy Ceo Twe... 2012/08/05 17:52:54
  • Marvelo... Ceo Twe... 2012/08/06 12:15:07
    Marvelous Wildfire
    "A person's Life is FAR more valuable than some damned jewelry."
    You are CORRECT!
    That's why, if she had the skill, she had the opportunity, she should have put a bullet in each of their brains.
  • Donnie 2012/08/05 03:41:12
  • Marvelo... Donnie 2012/08/06 12:21:14
  • Flamingolady 2012/08/05 03:37:54
    Flamingolady
    +5
    I was a jewelry store manager for many years. A diamond runner came to our store with diamonds, and alerted us to the fact that Colombians were in the parking lot following him. That evening when I left the store and set the alarm, I saw the car he had pointed out as Colombians. They followed me almost to my house, when in total desperation I turned right into another subdivision, then a quick dogleg into another street, and sped as fast as I could into the end of the street, and stopped. They did not follow me, but would not have doubted in a second that they would have demanded that I go back the store and open the safe. I was sure after this that I needed a gun to take with me everywhere,. A sales rep once was robbed around the same time, and we were always sure to have our guns on us, as it was not safe otherwise.
  • DeborahLakeHelen 2012/08/05 03:22:20
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +3
    In a heartbeat. I wouldn't think twice about it, and my shots would be fatal. If thugs walked into my store with masks on and weapons in their hands, they wouldn't be walking out, they'd be leaving in body bags. I'd have no problem sleeping that night, either.
  • Elizabeth 2012/08/05 03:19:32
    Elizabeth
    if i had a gun.
  • Child of light 2012/08/05 02:59:44
    Child of light
    +3
    I'm quite surprised that anybody would answer no.
  • Deborah... Child o... 2012/08/05 03:24:17
    DeborahLakeHelen
    +2
    Me too!
  • Marvelo... Child o... 2012/08/06 12:23:33
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +2
    Cowardice is one of the topics being taught in public schools, in place of an education.
  • Bruiser 2012/08/05 02:54:21
    Bruiser
    +2
    "We would rather have the crime happen and have good witnesses rather than putting someone’s safety in jeopardy.”
    Seems to me that the store owner's safety WAS in jeopardy and that's why she carries a weapon of protection. Good witnesses cannot bring back the dead folks killed by bad criminals.
  • Marvelo... Bruiser 2012/08/06 12:24:35
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +1
    Here's an example of "We would rather have the crime happen and have good witnesses rather than putting someone’s safety in jeopardy.”:
  • Sarah Alexander 2012/08/05 02:53:48 (edited)
    Sarah Alexander
    +2
    I have been trained to shoot my whole life and keep up on it. She needed to protect herself and, while I see where the police are coming from, as long as you are trained and use ammunition that doesn't go through walls (not that that should be an issue, if you're trained you shouldn't miss) then fine, what else will she do? Should she be expected to sit there and let them rob/harm her while waiting for the cops to come?
  • Ev Rom 2012/08/05 02:45:54 (edited)
    Ev Rom
    +4
    I voted no only because personally I don't like guns but I think the shop owner did the right thing. If someone has the permits and know how on shooting a gun to protect and defend themselves I am all for it.

Just saw the video, she is a hero, she may have saved some lives. It is so freakin great to see those pussies run from a lady with a gun.... LOVED IT.
  • Eyes See Wide North 2012/08/05 02:44:35
    Eyes See Wide North
    +1
    If they shot first, im not gonna die for so some rich guy wont get his company robbed, joke.
  • T A Eyes Se... 2012/08/05 04:37:14
    T A
    +3
    It was the owner
  • Eyes Se... T A 2012/08/05 15:34:46
    Eyes See Wide North
    Dont these guys have insurance that would cover there losses?

Besides, remember what happened last time a business owner shot and killed a thief (Latasha Harlins) in America?
    Riots...

Certainly not the last time, but it should have thought America its lesson, it seems not.
  • T A Eyes Se... 2012/08/06 10:12:51
    T A
    +1
    I'm fairly certain they don't have insurance that guarantees armed robbers won't shoot them once they have stolen the jewelry.

The situations are not comparable in the least. Latisha was unarmed, attacked with a stool and then shot, all while holding the money to pay for her orange juice. Moreover, the store owner was not responsible for the riots, that would be the judge who reduced a potential 16 year prison sentence to five years probation, $500 fine and 400 hours community service for voluntary manslaughter-not self defense-and of course the rioters themselves. This was also closely related in time to the Rodney King beating. A typical and appalling act of state brutality against a black person. So we have a well documented and publicized act of brutality by the state against a black person and then a few days later a judge (acting for the state) in the same area lets a murderer off with a slap on the wrist after murdering a 15 year old black girl. Essentially, the government for the county of LA and the state of California were saying that black people have no expectation of justice. The only thing the rioters did wrong was to stay in their own neighborhood rather than go to the homes of those in the government that sh*ts all over them.

You learned the wrong lesson...

You learned the wrong lesson. The lesson was that government has no abiding interest in justice or protection of the public and is in fact the greatest threat to public safety, justice and personal property.

There is no crime in self defense.
  • Marvelo... Eyes Se... 2012/08/06 12:26:31
    Marvelous Wildfire
    And see what you actually risk, if you comply:

2014/09/22 12:17:57