California Bans Foie Gras: Do You Like the Stuff?

mrosen814 2012/06/29 23:40:06
California is not alone on this one. There are at least 14 countries that have some sort of foie gras ban, mostly targeting its production. However, the difference is that the ban in California not only prohibits foie gras production but also bars shops and restaurants from selling it.On July 1, California will be bound by the most sweeping anti-foie gras statute in the world. Consumed by few, the pricey delicacy made from duck or goose’s liver is lusted after by chefs and diners for its rich, singular flavor and versatility on the plate for everything from hot dogs to ice cream.
Foie Gras

Read More: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/29/californi...

• Playerazzi 2012/07/02 09:08:53
    Playerazzi
    Seeing that it comes from liver, it's full of cholesterol.

But why is it "banned"?
  • Twinky Playerazzi 2012/07/02 13:00:26
    Twinky
    Because, unlike other pate, foie gras is the deliberate force-feeding of a goose to fatten it's liver to the point of death
    foie gras
  • Marvelo... Twinky 2012/07/08 03:34:15
    Marvelous Wildfire
    "Point of death" is misleading.
    *ALL* food animals are *fed until death*, there is no need to continue feeding them once they are slaughtered.

The feeding process is the same as the one used to hand raise baby parrots and cocktails.
    The *CLAIM* by the ignorant is "animal cruelty", when in reality there is *NO CRUELTY*.
    PROOF: If cruelty were involve, the geese would try and *ESCAPE AND EVADE* those with the feeding tube, they would *NOT* swarm the feeders.

That's why the feeder is behind the panels: to protect the feeder from aggressive geese *DEMANDING* to be "abused".
  • Twinky Marvelo... 2012/07/08 10:33:04 (edited)
    Twinky
    lol oh dear... personification much?

Yeah look at them trying to swarm her in the picture above... look at how not one single goose is close to the railing (that they could poke their heads through) they all have their backs to the feeder- trying to be further away.
    In fact in my photo the gate is STILL OPEN... no swarming of feeders... no "demanding" to be "abused"
  • Marvelo... Twinky 2012/07/08 14:48:47
    Marvelous Wildfire
    "personification much?"
    Never.
    I choose to *KNOW* what I'm talking about.
    You should try it sometime.

I comment you for at least *TRYING* to pay attention to detail.
    But you failed to take into account who actually *STAGGED* the pictures themselves.

First off: Do you honestly believe, that someone committing prosecutable acts of cruelty, would *ALLOW* such picture to be taken, on *THEIR* place?

Would *YOU* have allowed the pictures to be taken? I wouldn't have.
    So obviously, those in the picture were in collusion to make a picture that gave the impression that they *WANTED* to it to appear. Much like a movie at the theater. (Those people shot and killed on the screen, aren't really dead. They are just off camera.)

Look at the pictures by PETA of "Starved and abused carriage horses!" . . . that show well fed horse in service, and *NEVER* show even an actual skinny horse in service.
  • Twinky Marvelo... 2012/07/08 15:20:17
    Twinky
    +1
    Lovely how you go straight on the personal insults route - it always makes arguments so much stronger(!)

Sorry I don't know what stagged is... in this country that is a boy's night out.

Do you honestly believe, that someone committing prosecutable acts of cruelty, would *ALLOW* such picture to be taken, on *THEIR* place?
    1) It isn't prosecutable everywhere
    2) So everything that goes against your theory must have been faked?
    3) Why oh why does every other word have to have astriks around it?
  • Marvelo... Twinky 2012/07/08 17:39:31
    Marvelous Wildfire
    You state: "Lovely how you go straight on the personal insults route - it always makes arguments so much stronger(!)"

You mean "personal insults route" like: "lol oh dear... personification much?"

You state: "Sorry I don't know what stagged is... in this country that is a boy's night out."

It means to set the events of the picture, giving the *IMPRESSION* the photographer wants to convey with the picture. ("Stagged" was a typo, the intelligent would have recognized by the sentence itself that the word was "staged".)

You state: "1) It isn't prosecutable everywhere"

*ACTUAL* animal cruelty is punished everywhere in the USA.
    Most folks wouldn't allow pictures because of the lies groups like PETA tell with them.

You ask: "2) So everything that goes against your theory must have been faked?"

Not at all!
    I've simply dealt with too many groups that depend on the stupidity of their supporters to push their idiotic agendas: Like PETA's claims of "Starved and abused carriage horses!" . . . while showing well fed and well cared for horses.
    Do you even realize that your question doesn't address the points of my post, but only highlights your ignorance on the subject?

You ask: "3) Why oh why does every other word have to have astriks around it?"

For emphasis, so that dullards who start out making pe...

Not at all!

For emphasis, so that dullards who start out making personal insults, then whine about "personal insults", may possibly be able to grasp things that need emphasis.
    -You're welcome!
  • Twinky Marvelo... 2012/07/08 18:48:29
    Twinky
    Yes because me saying that you personified an animal is an insult HOW?
    I personify my pets all the time, stories do it... it's a natural thing to do. You personified a goose - I'll have to remember that one as a cruel and snide remark to use on my mother-in-law
  • Marvelo... Twinky 2012/07/08 19:20:54
    Marvelous Wildfire
    What did I post, that you think was "personification"?
  • Twinky Marvelo... 2012/07/08 20:44:49
    Twinky
    Oh, decided to not take it as an insult now? Did you not understand the word before?
  • Marvelo... Marvelo... 2012/07/09 02:26:28
    Marvelous Wildfire
    I see twinky doesn't understand most of the words she uses, so she says stupid and insulting things out of shear ignorance.
    It's good to no longer have to deal with her.
  • Of Thee I Sing... 2012/07/02 06:33:50
    Of Thee I Sing...
    I eat NOTHING with liver in it.
  • xxx 2012/07/02 06:17:28
    xxx
    +2
    I don't know if I like it but I've always wanted to try it. I guess not in CA anymore.
  • Chris 2012/07/02 06:08:22
    Chris
    +1
    Is the animal it's made from endangered or something?
  • Flyingbug Chris 2012/07/02 16:28:11
    Flyingbug
    Geese and ducks (from which foie gras is made) are not endangered. Production of foie gras (fatty liver) is banned in several countries, including the UK. I don't think any other state in the US has banned it, though.
  • Chris Flyingbug 2012/07/04 00:14:32
    Chris
    +1
    I don't see why.
  • Marvelo... Chris 2012/07/08 03:35:58
    Marvelous Wildfire
    PROOF: If cruelty were involve, the geese would try and *ESCAPE AND EVADE* those with the feeding tube, they would *NOT* swarm the feeders as they do.
  • dekecds 2012/07/02 05:49:44
    dekecds
    +3
    Real, natural, foie gras is not made by force feeding geese and ducks. Only the American way of creating foie gras is unethical. Original foie gras was made by those who could afford to feed their geese expensive quality and amounts of grains and the quality of liver to make it was identified by the extra fat around the liver. In essence, it was more determined by the eating habits and activity of the bird. It was beneficial to the farmer to selectively breed his birds that continued to produce high quality offspring, so that the birds brought more from selective butchers or customers. "I only by my geese from Nevil's farm, and that is why I never run out of foie gras!"

Aside from that, I hate banning "things" in lieu of banning practices! Prosecute the aggressors, not the food!
    It would be like banning Rap Music in the 90's, as opposed to just getting on with legislation to crack down on people who actually deal drugs and shoot cops.
  • mothergoose706 2012/07/02 05:44:36
    mothergoose706
    +1
    Can someone please tell me what the heck it is? Sorry I have never heard of it .....Seriously
  • Marvelo... motherg... 2012/07/08 03:39:30
    Marvelous Wildfire
    +1
    It's a dish made of goose or duck liver, where the fowl has been especially fattened to engage the fattening of the liver as the fowl does in nature for migration.
  • motherg... Marvelo... 2012/07/10 09:32:30
    mothergoose706
    +1
    Thank you for explaining this..I have never heard of this before,I have parrots and have hand feed many of them but I dont use a tube though,to dangeous....
  • Marvelo... motherg... 2012/07/10 14:51:41
    Marvelous Wildfire
    Your parrots are not hatch-lings, but older birds aren't they?
    I've never known anyone, who didn't use a tube to feed very young parrots.
    *YES* it's VERY dangerous.

These are grown birds, most have only been fed by tube all their lives, until 12 hours before their deaths.
  • motherg... Marvelo... 2012/07/17 10:29:00
    mothergoose706
    No not all of them...I have hand feed alot of my birds but not with a tube...
  • Wake The Sheeple 2012/07/02 05:28:16
    Wake The Sheeple
    +3
    No, I don't like it, but does that give a state the right to say what does or does not go into your body? This country is getting more & more authoritarian every day. Land of the free?! Yeah right!

body country authoritarian land free yeah
  • Airhead Wake Th... 2012/07/02 08:10:18
    Airhead
    +2
    I thought the same thing at first but I looked it up and the reason for the ban does have some merit. It's not a health issue but an animal cruelty one.
  • Wake Th... Airhead 2012/07/02 14:05:42
    Wake The Sheeple
    +2
    I understand, but that's where the nanny state starts.
  • Marvelo... Airhead 2012/07/08 03:13:32
    Marvelous Wildfire
  • Airhead Marvelo... 2012/07/08 04:19:47
    Airhead
    +1
    Yeah and its a couple of bad farms that should get the bad rap. I watched some more "documentaries" on it and they showed some very good family owned farms where they took pride in their livestock.
  • Marvelo... Airhead 2012/07/08 05:01:29
    Marvelous Wildfire
    Of course.
    Because PETA couldn't *pay* those farms enough, to allow them to stage their "evidence" pictures.
  • America... Wake Th... 2012/07/02 09:20:13
    American☆Atheist
    +1
    Cups are not banned
    taxis are not banned
    dogs are not banned
    balls are not banned
    cell phones while driving kills people
    planes are not banned
    cameras are not banned
    sodas are not banned
    fun is not banned

NOW, conservatives ban

gay marriage
    gay rights
    polygamy and other multiple marriages
    atheists from holding office
    the separation of church and state
    the constitution
    science
    history
    woman being topless
    saggy pants
    cussing and nudity on TV

and have banned

woman from voting
    woman from having a bank account
    slaves from being free
    porn
    gay sex
  • Wake Th... America... 2012/07/02 14:18:06
    Wake The Sheeple
    +2
    Both parties attack liberty look at the 'patriot' act, NDAA 2012, CISPA, drones approved to use on US soil, the further ignoring of Posse Comitatus, the expansion of TSA under Bush & Obama. For all intents an purposes in regards to the eroding of personal liberty, Obama might as well be Bush's third term.
  • Twinky Wake Th... 2012/07/02 13:24:28
    Twinky
    So, are you for illegal drugs being legalized?
  • Wake Th... Twinky 2012/07/02 14:11:39
    Wake The Sheeple
    +2
    Yes I am. I don't use them, but this war on drugs is a failure and costs more lives in violence than it saves in prohibition. If people want drugs there is always going to be someone willing and able to supply them, so it's pointless to spend trillions on prisons, DEA, FBI, etc, when legalization would save more lives and retain personal liberty.
  • Twinky Wake Th... 2012/07/02 21:11:39
    Twinky
    And euthanasia?
  • Wake Th... Twinky 2012/07/02 23:29:12
    Wake The Sheeple
    +1
    No, I don't personally agree with it. Again that is just my personal view.
  • Twinky Wake Th... 2012/07/03 10:07:54
    Twinky
    I guess my point is that there are many laws stopping you from doing things to your own body from illegal drugs, female genital mutilation, to euthanasia and abortion
  • Wake Th... Twinky 2012/07/03 14:30:06
    Wake The Sheeple
    +1
    And my point is how free are we really when the government tells us what we can or cannot do with our own bodies? We are no longer the land of the free.
  • Twinky Wake Th... 2012/07/04 09:01:51
    Twinky
    +1
    You never have been.
  • Wake Th... Twinky 2012/07/04 15:14:36
    Wake The Sheeple
    +1
    No, you are right it hasn't been free for a very long time.
  • AskZilla Wake Th... 2012/07/02 19:59:17 (edited)
    AskZilla
    Some freedoms I don't mind having taken away, California was the first to force good etiquette down smokers throats since they didn't have enough sense to do it themselves, and didn't care about those who don't want to smell their stink all the time. Many other states followed suit afterwards

2014/09/03 02:23:45