Burger King Says All Eggs and Pork Will Come From Cage-Free Chickens and Pigs by 2017: Should Other Restaurants Follow Suit?

Are you an animal lover, particularly one with a weakness for Burger King? We have good news for you. The burger joint announced on Wednesday that all of its eggs and pork will come from cage-free chickens and pigs by 2017, The Associated Press reports.

"So many tens of thousands of animals will now be in better living conditions," said Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, which has been pushing Burger King and other corporations on the issue, according to the AP.

It certainly seems like a step in the right direction. Conventionally raised eggs come from hens confined in battery cages, and most pork comes from sows that are confined during their four-month pregnancies in narrow crates, the AP says.

Increased costs have prevented some companies from going cage-free, but research shows that customers are willing to pay more for the peace of mind that comes with knowing that animals are being treated humanely.

And since Burger King is the nation's second-largest fast-food restaurant, other companies are likely to follow suit. Wal-Mart and Costco have already transitioned their private-label eggs to 100 percent cage-free, and Unilever, maker of Hellmann's mayonnaise brand, is also going 100 percent cage-free. Should other restaurants and brands follow in their footsteps?

• Anthony... Leantom... 2012/04/27 08:04:55
    Anthony Souls
    +4
    That was one of the most ludicrous statements I've ever heard, obviously you have no respect for the life animals give to provide you with sustenance. Moreover, slaughtering an animal for food doesn't mean you have to treat it inhumanely; if anything, you should treat animals humanely because you are using them for your own nourishment. Furthermore, allowing them to be healthy, run, and eat good food, allows them to be less diseased, more tasty, and etc...

We aren't Hitlers of the animal kingdom that butchers animals without any conscience of how we take care of them before they become slaughtered for food.

Bye
  • Georgia50 Anthony... 2012/04/27 14:23:10
    Georgia50
    Ummm...Adolf NEVER ate meat. He considered it inhumane. He also opposed animal vivisection. His only exception was to consume eggs because, as he explained, it meant the chicken lived.
  • Padding... Georgia50 2012/04/27 14:47:56
  • Leantom... Anthony... 2012/04/28 18:38:44 (edited)
    Leantom, the Economic Rationalist
    Hitler didn't eat meat, smart one.

I couldn't care less how the animal is treated so long as it gets in my stomach.

The choice of what's tastier should be made by producers, since they're the ones providing the meat, not you or me. If you don't like it, then don't buy it. However, don't force producers to conform to your arbitrary sense on morality.

And there's a logical reason why most meat-processing facilities don't go cage-free. The animals are harder to catch, hence making the process cost more and become more hazardous to workers.
  • John Storz 2012/04/27 05:24:18
    John Storz
    +1
    So, you think it makes sense to ethically treat an animal that you're going to slaughter and eat anyway?
  • Anthony... John Storz 2012/04/27 08:04:39
    Anthony Souls
    +1

Bye
  • John Storz Anthony... 2012/04/27 18:34:58
    John Storz
    "Respect for the life animals give"... well, they're not really giving it, are they? We're taking that life already and they really don't have a choice. You're trying to attach some sense of nobility and sacrifice to purposely bred foodstuffs, which is ridiculous. Ah, the noble Rhode Island Red, freely giving his life for your stew pot... sounds pretty ludicrous to me. That would pretty much mean that all those animals are suicidal. And I'm pretty sure that in the cases of certain meats, like veal, that the taste is in the fact that they don't run free... and veal is some good eating.

And an animal activist would tell you that we ARE the Hitlers of the animal kingdom and no matter how humanely we treat the animals we're nothing but murderers and rapists. So I say do it in the most cost effective manner, and if that means they're penned up, in cages, or chained down then so be it.
  • BlackwinterG36C 2012/04/27 05:08:15
    BlackwinterG36C
    +1
    Who cares!
  • Abi 2012/04/27 04:46:12
    Abi
    Restaurants should go fast food free!! Especially booger king, and McDonald /:
  • niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20 2012/04/27 04:23:59
    niviongo R ☮ P ☮ 12-20
    +1
    Burger King will never go cage free. The Dep. of Agruc. have vey funny rulles about "cage free".
    Example: you cage a chicken and hang it in your back yard and that is as per them, a cage free chicken.
  • Gwen 2012/04/27 04:16:49
    Gwen
    +1
    Stop holing up their workers in cages!
    +4
    Is that obfuscation for ..
    We are trying to appeal (marketing-wise) to the eco-nuts ..
    and ..
    We are going to increase our prices too ...
  • Foxhoun... sglmom 2012/04/27 08:09:35
    Foxhound BN0
    +2
    Yes or, "We are human and we have emotions unlike people who torture animals by raising them in tiny cages and it will cost more."
  • sglmom Foxhoun... 2012/04/27 16:06:48
    +1
    And that is the mentality that labels ALL or none ..
    For many producers of livestock, foodstuffs .. are responsible overall ..
    NO tiny cages, no torture at all ..
    and they can do it far more economically too.
    (and sell their products at local farm markets, in farm coops .. (for example))
    Don't need that label "organic" which is basically a scam to raise the price ..
  • Anthony... sglmom 2012/04/27 08:09:36
    Anthony Souls
    +2
    Sigh, I don't need to have Hitler-like mentality towards animals to afford food. In actuality, free range eggs are even cheaper than the caged ones, and they taste far superior. Also, free range chickens are only a buck or two more per 5 pounds, which is hardly a financial burden. Furthermore, people will pay for organic foods, but they won't pay for better treatment of animals that should be treated with respect, since they supply us with nourishment: that sounds preposterous and ill-conceived.

Bye
  • shadow76 Anthony... 2012/04/27 09:26:54
    shadow76
    +1
    Yet they charge over a dollar more for them.
  • sglmom Anthony... 2012/04/27 16:04:23
    Dearie me ..
    guess you've not raised your own livestock/foodstock ..

and with many folks .. that extra dollar or two .. for each product adds up to become a BUDGET BUSTING Bill at the grocery store ..
    People are NOT fooled by the label "organic" ..
    (just another name for increase the price)

There's a fallacy out there .. which labels all livestock/foodstock producers as unhealthy or caged .. or disrespectful .. (MOST are not like that at all)
    There's a few producers that I avoid for doing so (including some practices that are unusually nasty in the production process .. )

I'm not going to be fooled by the label 'organic' ..
    I'll make sure to keep being a responsible person .. raise my own .. and continue to use grocery only as a supplement.
  • shadow76 sglmom 2012/04/27 09:25:25
    shadow76
    +1
    You nailed it! That is exactly what it is!
  • Gerald 2012/04/27 03:37:07
    Gerald
    +1
    Like it or not, "caged" chicken, pork, etc, is an evil necessity. Industrial agriculture is the only way to provide mass quantities of food @ cheap prices. If you don't mind paying $10 a dozen for eggs, or $20 a pound for meat, demand that they abolish caging.
  • Estick Gerald 2012/04/27 04:41:54
    Estick
    +3
    Didn't they use that same argument for slavery?
  • John Storz Estick 2012/04/27 05:28:57
    John Storz
    +1
    In all fairness, there's a bit of a difference between a human being and a chicken...
  • Foxhoun... John Storz 2012/04/27 08:11:31
  • shadow76 Foxhoun... 2012/04/27 09:28:19
    shadow76
    +2
    That is so stupid!
  • John Storz Foxhoun... 2012/04/27 18:35:50
    John Storz
    Actually do a little research into who started the latest "war on women"... you might be shocked.
  • Gerald John Storz 2012/07/10 07:50:17
    Gerald
    Thx John.
  • Anthony... Gerald 2012/04/27 08:09:14
    Anthony Souls
    You are ridiculous; I don't need to have Hitler-like mentality towards animals to afford food. In actuality, free range eggs are even cheaper than the caged ones, and they taste far superior. Also, free range chickens are only a buck or two more per 5 pounds, which is hardly a financial burden. Furthermore, people will pay for organic foods, but they won't pay for better treatment of animals that should be treated with respect, since they supply us with nourishment: that sounds preposterous and ill-conceived.

Bye
  • John Storz Anthony... 2012/04/27 18:37:01
    John Storz
    ... unless you don't have that extra buck or two to spend.
  • Maximus 2012/04/27 03:21:39
    Maximus
    +2
    I really don't know, but when they say the price might go up, Im thinking like $6-$7 + tax for the Original Chicken Sandwich(Favorite) and $8-$9 for the combo + tax. Won't be a problem depending if I'm wealthy or not when I'm 25/ or 26.
  • Flamingolady 2012/04/27 03:04:38
    Flamingolady
    +1
    Inhumane treatment of animals is the number one symptom of a psychopath. We should not treat animals, even the ones bred for food, inhumanely.
  • swim2bgood 2012/04/27 03:01:27
    swim2bgood
    I'm not really a fan of Burger King but should I make the choice to eat fast food they may be first option (other than Chipotle as they do great work with local products).
  • sean 2012/04/27 03:00:43
    sean
    They should have done this a long time ago, like when they started.
  • Hannah 2012/04/27 02:53:10
    Hannah
    Would you rather free some animals or none at all
  • Max Power 2012/04/27 02:52:24
    Max Power
    +1
    They can if they want. Good for those that did.
  • JohnT 2012/04/27 02:48:38
    JohnT
    +2
    So now they will more than likely call it free range, if they let them out into a tiny open space than raise prices. I don't remember the last time I ate in one of them but what may seem good often has something more involved, yeah I just don't trust business. They don't do anything without a reason or a plan.
  • Anthony... JohnT 2012/04/27 08:12:25
    Anthony Souls
    +1
    Funny how you try to legitimize your own ideals by showing the misuse of the term: cage free. Animals should be treated humanely and be allowed to exercise in an open area. They supply us with nourishment and should be respected.

Bye
  • JohnT Anthony... 2012/04/27 19:27:12
    JohnT
    Look it was a comment on what I think the company will do, I don't work for anybody I am retired,so quit being so anal. I know how business operates and they generally don't do something right unless they are gong to get fined, or have a business angle to make more money. On a personal note I care about people so my concern is the 29,000 children that die daily due to hunger and disease, 3.3 million kids that are abused in America and 5 die daily, the 45 million people that are in poverty in America. So I am involved in my causes and and you have yours. I agree with you they should be treated well, but your so caught up in your rescue crap you can't see what may actually be taking place.
  • Boris D. 2012/04/27 02:28:02
    Boris D.
    +2
    You'll be glad to know your tax money is going into research for this.

"Using a grant of $375,000 from the U.S. Department of Agriculture, the researchers will test wearable sensors that will monitor how hens use space and resources in non-cage environments."

Call it "Cash for Cluckers",
  • Sour Dime 2012/04/27 02:27:15
    Sour Dime
    +2
    All companies involving animals should, especially KFC.
  • ShamshirMkII 2012/04/27 02:27:04
    ShamshirMkII
    Free range FTW XD!
  • Piper 2012/04/27 02:23:07
    Piper
    Any efforts, towards better treatment of animals in the food industry, are one small step. This is a VERY small step, to appease those who actually give a sh*t, but at least it's something.

2014/11/26 14:59:21