Burger King Says All Eggs and Pork Will Come From Cage-Free Chickens and Pigs by 2017: Should Other Restaurants Follow Suit?

Are you an animal lover, particularly one with a weakness for Burger King? We have good news for you. The burger joint announced on Wednesday that all of its eggs and pork will come from cage-free chickens and pigs by 2017, The Associated Press reports.

"So many tens of thousands of animals will now be in better living conditions," said Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, which has been pushing Burger King and other corporations on the issue, according to the AP.

It certainly seems like a step in the right direction. Conventionally raised eggs come from hens confined in battery cages, and most pork comes from sows that are confined during their four-month pregnancies in narrow crates, the AP says.

Increased costs have prevented some companies from going cage-free, but research shows that customers are willing to pay more for the peace of mind that comes with knowing that animals are being treated humanely.

And since Burger King is the nation's second-largest fast-food restaurant, other companies are likely to follow suit. Wal-Mart and Costco have already transitioned their private-label eggs to 100 percent cage-free, and Unilever, maker of Hellmann's mayonnaise brand, is also going 100 percent cage-free. Should other restaurants and brands follow in their footsteps?

• Mark Mercer 2012/05/23 07:51:17
    Mark Mercer
    But going to a restaurant, means you have no control of the food. Most of them serve the cheapest crap out there,
  • Chaya2010 2012/05/23 02:07:15
    Chaya2010
    I'll eat a Burger King or other fast food places if that were the case.
  • mm61675 2012/05/04 00:53:12
    mm61675
    and sooner than 2017!!
  • Jerica Cary 2012/05/01 15:05:55
  • EdVenture 2012/04/30 02:50:31
    EdVenture
    Not until they tell us what they mean and where the product? is coming from..
  • Juliet Alyssa 2012/04/29 22:15:16
    Juliet Alyssa
    All fast food chains should go cage free. The animals would thank them if they could talk!
  • molly a... Juliet ... 2012/04/29 23:17:20
    molly ashford
    agreed!
  • pinklady 2012/04/29 15:23:05
    pinklady
    Actually this is a hard one. I hate to see animals mistreated for the sake of money. However I have misgivings about the ability to contain diseases. There really should be a better way in the care of animals for consumers consumption.
  • Jerica ... pinklady 2012/05/01 15:00:32
    Jerica Cary
    +4
    Letting animals be free-run isn't going to contract diseases more than caging them together so tightly they cant move and crap all over each other.
  • studiobrat PWCM AFCL 2012/04/28 17:32:42
    studiobrat  PWCM AFCL
    I don't care for Burger King and never go there.
  • caius madison 2012/04/28 03:29:54
    caius madison
    +2
    None of us have disposable income according to studies. I have several family members, as well as family friends, who have privatized egg farming. I assure you, that regardless if they get to run around a few years or not, at every egg farm, they lay eggs in a box/cage of sorts. Also, sooner or later, we always eat them. Don't forget that, we're still gonna pluck em', and bread em, and fry em' up. I hunt birds as well, so maybe I just don't get sensitive about these things. I feel like we should be worrying about us before we worry about chicken fries a BK. It doesn't taste more free if it came off a small farm, and realistically, you would never meet the demand for these animals if you went all small farm across the board. And no one says anything about fishing commercially, which is proven to ha e caused many near extinctions of several herri g and other edible fish varieties, yet the chicken and cow always get people's hearts a'bleedn'. This stuff is lobbied for, you can boycott all you want, it has not, and will not change anything. BK needed the press, so they will pull a stunt like this to male a name for their chain again. Sorry so long, just can't stand how people care about this stuff so much, but probably never write their congressman to voice out a tighter rest...
    None of us have disposable income according to studies. I have several family members, as well as family friends, who have privatized egg farming. I assure you, that regardless if they get to run around a few years or not, at every egg farm, they lay eggs in a box/cage of sorts. Also, sooner or later, we always eat them. Don't forget that, we're still gonna pluck em', and bread em, and fry em' up. I hunt birds as well, so maybe I just don't get sensitive about these things. I feel like we should be worrying about us before we worry about chicken fries a BK. It doesn't taste more free if it came off a small farm, and realistically, you would never meet the demand for these animals if you went all small farm across the board. And no one says anything about fishing commercially, which is proven to ha e caused many near extinctions of several herri g and other edible fish varieties, yet the chicken and cow always get people's hearts a'bleedn'. This stuff is lobbied for, you can boycott all you want, it has not, and will not change anything. BK needed the press, so they will pull a stunt like this to male a name for their chain again. Sorry so long, just can't stand how people care about this stuff so much, but probably never write their congressman to voice out a tighter restriction on welfare fraud or how fixing the roads is of dire importance t o you, or how physical education cannot be dropped from the school curriculum as it may be the only exercise our children get. Really? Worry about some animals huh? Reform is a process, you must fix the big stuff before every other non human life threatening problem should be addresed, we keep trying to make 2 sandwiches with one packet of mustard, we just don't have it right now.
  • john adams caius m... 2012/04/29 05:05:44
    john adams
    +3
    you have to take the bone out of the meat firsf most companys mince up the heads as well brains really do matter ?
  • caius m... john adams 2012/04/29 19:22:55
    caius madison
    Though I am not supposed to say this, that is not untrue. I realize that it's a bit unsettling.... but it's not worth an average of 3 dollars more at the store to me. I still get the same nutrition from it. This is like the tofu fad everybody went through in the nineties. Soy products, where marketed as a health superfood, but we now know that if you do not ferment the soy, it causes all sorts of problems for the body, one of which is the alrmingly dangerous stop soy lechtin( and other byproducts from soy) habe on metabolizing calcium to repair our bones. We are meant to eat meats, not as many grains as we do. I am worried more about the misinformation about food by radical nutritionists. Investigate the dangers of grains online for just a bit, and especially soybeans and soy products, it's quite disturbing.
  • Jerica ... caius m... 2012/05/01 15:01:52
    Jerica Cary
    +4
    It has nothing to do with the fact that it came from a farm, it's how the animals are handled. The environments they're in now are disgusting.
  • Jerica ... caius m... 2012/05/01 15:03:00
    Jerica Cary
    +2
    Maybe you should watch this; http://www.takepart.com/foodi...
  • caius m... Jerica ... 2012/05/09 07:59:57 (edited)
    caius madison
    Did you catch the part about my family owning stuff like what I just saw? I don't eat chicken nuggets. I eat whole breast, did you know they've figured out how to grow a chicken from hatching to slaughter in 4 days? So sitting in these cages for that tiny amount of time means nothing to me. I have already watched that movie on Netflix. Seemed extremely biased
  • Bob the Builder 2012/04/28 02:10:52
    Bob the Builder
    +2
    I myself do not like burger king, but I also do not like the fact that any human being can be so cruel to animals... and they call it HUMAiNe...
  • Michael 2012/04/27 20:47:23
    Michael
    +1
    It's an improvement. The more places that do this, the less demand for the torture farms' products.
  • Walter Harris 2012/04/27 20:09:09
    Walter Harris
    fast food is fast death
  • 001 2012/04/27 19:06:21
    001
    I'm just not entirely sure if I should believe it's as good as it sounds. You don't need a cage to put loads of chickens or pigs in a small space
  • De-Dee 2012/04/27 18:55:11
    De-Dee
    +3
    Between sodahead and my Enivironmental Science course I feel like humans can't d anything with out hurting something. Okay, say in a few years we made Peta and their gang happy and ALL of our meat came from cage free animals. Can you imagine how much food would cost? (On top of how much gas will be by then.) Yes it all does come down to money. People can't afford to eat, then we die. (But humans are such vile creatures, who cares, right?)
    Okay, say we all went against our nature and became herbivores. That would mean bye bye trees, hello tree huggers because we'd need the space for crops.
  • caius m... De-Dee 2012/04/28 03:49:43 (edited)
    caius madison
    +1
    I agree, it is WAY more expensive for organic and cage free stuff. In a nation where welfare puts most of the groceries on our tables, what are people thinking with worrying aboit this bologne. It's not like they pull a seat up and watch all the "torture"take place. Belive me, the animal doesn't see it that way, we have to prove this point for libbies often, we take any chicken of their hoosing, take it out of the feed/laying cage and what does it do? It walks right back up to it and pecks at the door till it gets back into it's all you can eat egg layer buffet. We still have a large area that they can run around in, and they still never stray far from the laying area, are we forgetting, most birds are not intelligent, and the chicken is among the dumbest. Pigs are even easier to spoil. Also lazy and stupid, so my biggest question is, if they don't try to get away, and they in fact try to contiue their torture, how is this bad? Humanizing anything can make it seem bad, but that isn't always the case. I will say I worked for Tyson Chicken Co. in Missouri, and the employees where constantly getting fired for mistreating the animals. Not that I will defend some of that companies practices, but they do care about their product, at least. And my point is, without big livestock/ch...
    I agree, it is WAY more expensive for organic and cage free stuff. In a nation where welfare puts most of the groceries on our tables, what are people thinking with worrying aboit this bologne. It's not like they pull a seat up and watch all the "torture"take place. Belive me, the animal doesn't see it that way, we have to prove this point for libbies often, we take any chicken of their hoosing, take it out of the feed/laying cage and what does it do? It walks right back up to it and pecks at the door till it gets back into it's all you can eat egg layer buffet. We still have a large area that they can run around in, and they still never stray far from the laying area, are we forgetting, most birds are not intelligent, and the chicken is among the dumbest. Pigs are even easier to spoil. Also lazy and stupid, so my biggest question is, if they don't try to get away, and they in fact try to contiue their torture, how is this bad? Humanizing anything can make it seem bad, but that isn't always the case. I will say I worked for Tyson Chicken Co. in Missouri, and the employees where constantly getting fired for mistreating the animals. Not that I will defend some of that companies practices, but they do care about their product, at least. And my point is, without big livestock/chicken/egg commercial farming, we would be pouring double the cash down the toilet for welfare abusing losers to eat like people who want to waste money on meaningless humanizing terms like cage-free and all-organic. It's a shame.... misevaluated care importance can lead to mass misappropriation of media and funds to otherwise a leisurely topic at best.
  • Sonic 2012/04/27 18:52:46
    Sonic
    It's important for someone to set an example for raising the quality of your product. I'm glad the big BK is doing something to do just that. Now if only they could have separate friars for different meals so the gluten in their onion rings isn't contaminating my French fries.
  • Tara 2012/04/27 18:18:18
    Tara
    I don't eat enough fast food for the price to matter to me. Go ahead. If I really really want it I'll buy it anyway. I hardly think having fast food joints raise their prices is going to hurt this "economy in shambles". Since when is fast food the only thing available for people to eat? Whatever. If people decide to stop eating it becase it's too pricey they'll be doing themselves a favor.
  • Azazel 2012/04/27 17:24:15
    Azazel
    Is it only eggs and pork? What about the beef?
  • SilveryRow 2012/04/27 16:52:45
    SilveryRow
    I'd be even happier if this related to beef as well.
  • les_gvt 2012/04/27 16:34:35
    les_gvt
    I am sure no one will mind one bit paying $10 for that whopper that now cosr 5
  • www.sodahead.com/smithy 2012/04/27 16:30:31
    www.sodahead.com/smithy
    thats how it should be
  • Lady Yui 2012/04/27 16:18:36
    Lady Yui
    +1
    If they want to go "cage-free" and soak the cost for doing so themselves, they can go right ahead. If they're going to pass the higher costs on to ME, though....they can go frak themselves. The economy is already in enough of a shambles and people can barely afford to live without a bunch of tree-hugging hippies deciding that their food needs to cost even more so that they can "feel good" about where their food came from.
  • The Black Dagger 2012/04/27 16:12:56
    The Black Dagger
    Why?

Will there be a difference in taste?
  • 001 The Bla... 2012/04/27 19:10:38
    001
    That's not fair. Would you slowly smack a pig to death if it made the bacon a little tastier?
  • The Bla... 001 2012/04/27 23:11:23
    The Black Dagger
    Caged pigs or free pigs. Do they taste any different?

That is my response to the article.

I wasn't saying I'll eat one or the other as a matter of taste, I was asking if there is a difference in the taste because the real point of this story is to stir up business for a company by playing on the heart strings of animal activists. Guarantee you the company could care less where the animals come from as long as they can make their sales. And for those of us who aren't animal activists, they could have put together some hokey report about the difference in taste or a quality for health or some such to bring us to the counter as well.
  • 001 The Bla... 2012/04/27 23:27:53
    001
    +2
    I'm sorry I misunderstood. To answer your question, yes there probably will be. The chickens that walk around on the farm here are much tastier than the ones we buy in the supermarket, and so are the eggs they give. I can't be sure about pork but I'd say the meat should taste better too, as animals that have space to move around have more muscles and less fat.
    Great
  • Elaine Magliacane 2012/04/27 15:53:44
    Elaine Magliacane
    +1
    It's a ploy to get weak minded customers to come back to their stores... hope it works for them. My aunt and uncle had a hog farm, trust me you do not want hogs running LOOSE.
  • Rod 2012/04/27 15:47:25 (edited)
    Rod
    +2
    What in the world is happening to us? Everything, I mean everything, has to be so perfect or politically correct. We aren't moving closer to civility but more into the dark ages. Control, control, control! People worry more about some dumb, non-thinking animal, or bird, than they do about other human beings. I don't believe that animal torture should be allowed but come on now do you really truly think that that chicken or pig knows that they are being caged? Birds and animals act only out of instinct... they do not think like humans do.

And if you don't keep these animal and birds in cages where do you keep them so that they can be fed and handled? Should they be allowed to just run free?
  • Azazel Rod 2012/04/27 17:29:30
    Azazel
    +2
    There is more to it than "Control, control, control!". There is actual harm to the animals and indirectly to us as well. I hope you educate yourself by bothering to read the article below. Wake up, sire. it is NOT the 1920's right now.
    http://www.animalvisuals.org/...
  • Adam 2012/04/27 15:28:35
    Adam
    +1
    not if it increases cost.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2012/04/27 14:23:07
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    No reason not to
  • David K 2012/04/27 14:21:54
    David K
    +2
    but if they do, i'm opening a big bad ass cage restaurant. one where the cage is at the restaurant. people would not only get the cheapest meal possible, but they could pick which cow they wanted to eat. on site butchering baby. just to piss off everyone that has it in their head we are cruel to animals. if you in a cage, do you have to worry about predators, disease, starvation and so on. would you rather live free in africa or slave away in a new york city high rise for killer cash? if you picked the money then you are a slaughter cow.

2014/10/25 06:36:32