Bulletproof Backpack Sales Spike After Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting: Is It a Good Idea?

AdriHead 2012/12/20 20:00:00
We never thought we'd see the day when bulletproof backpacks became the norm. But after the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newton, Connecticut that left 20 children dead, the sale of bulletproof backpacks has skyrocketed.

BulletBlocker, a Massachusetts-based armor company, has seen a 300-to-400 percent increase in sales since the tragedy last week. The company is selling a bulletproof child safety backpack for $199.99 as well as shields that start at $175 -- including bulletproof inserts that slide into backpacks, laptop bags and purses. Do you think buying bulletproof backpacks is a good idea? Or does something else need to change instead?

NYDAILYNEWS.COM reports:
Sales of bulletproof backpacks for schoolchildren are through the roof days after a masked gunman's rampage left 20 kids dead at a Connecticut elementary school.
days masked gunmans rampage 20 kids dead connecticut elementary school

Read More: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/bulletpro...

• Gingah Bread 2012/12/20 20:16:39
    No. We need change in action, not bulletproof backpacks!
    Gingah Bread
    +12
    These things happen once every few years, we don't need a heavy and pricey bookbag to carry around.

• melanie 2013/01/04 16:51:41
    Yes. The more protection, the better.
    melanie
    If your a parent, do what you feel to protect YOUR children.
  • Swampdog PWCM 2013/01/03 18:35:59
    Yes. The more protection, the better.
    Swampdog PWCM
    +1
    Armed teachers is a better idea, you don't hear about this kinda $#!T in Israel! Also the prezdents kids go to a school with eleven armed guards,in addition to the Secret Service crew!
  • Bronar 2013/01/03 16:39:47
    Bronar
    I'm more worried about him in the bus learning that Santa isn't real or catching a stray bullet while we're on the train in the Bronx when we take an occasional trip into NYC than I am about him in school.
  • Average Joe 2013/01/03 16:38:27
    Yes. The more protection, the better.
    Average Joe
    Nuts. Why would anyone want to protect their books? Vests and other articles of clothing are a better idea.
  • Chris - The Rowdy One! #187 2013/01/03 16:34:57
  • Transquesta 2013/01/02 19:42:52
    Yes. The more protection, the better.
    Transquesta
    +1
    Getting your kids out of government schools would be a better one.
  • Mj PINKYFINGERDOWN 2013/01/02 19:37:19
  • Marina 2013/01/02 00:35:22 (edited)
    Marina
    +1
    stupid idea, waste of money. many classrooms don't even allow backpacks in the classroom, they are left at the door. (contraband being brought in, being the reason) and even having them, kids do not wear backpacks IN the classroom. too much hassle getting stuff in & out, uncomfortable, cannot fit in seats. expensive idea that would be left on the floor, thereby totally negating the reason for which parents made the purchase. and a backpack would not protect from a head shot... company trying to make a buck from a horrible incident.
  • DrRenovation 2013/01/01 23:38:52
    DrRenovation
    Stupid.
  • chris 2012/12/29 07:26:40
    chris
    +1
    I think that we should make it harder to get inside a school house,have more drills on this kind of thing ( i meant just about everybody knows how to get out of the school if it is on fire.. i think we should teach teachers how to keep their kids and them safe. I'd also put a button in every classroom that sets off an alarm that does not sound like the fire alarm. that way everybody in the school know to get out or lock that room down. I want to hear input am I wrong , are they bad ideas?
  • MichaelVetranoSr 2012/12/28 16:31:25
    Yes. The more protection, the better.
    MichaelVetranoSr
    The career one is very interesting. Thats the one we should pay attention to.
  • Benny 2012/12/28 05:38:48
    Benny
    +1
    As a Marine trained rifleman, I posit that body armor of whatever type is there to only buy you time to run to cover and is not cover, but most importantly why is it that it is easier to get a firearm than mental health help (thanks Reagan) In China on the same day a lunatic used a knife, so it is not the instrument but the actor. A nation that can spend millions, even billions on foreign aid but none for it's own people, is a nation that encourages these shootings. Before every shooting red flags were raised by those reporting the shooter as having mental problems and these red flags were ignored? WHY!
  • garyhay... Benny 2012/12/29 03:01:27
    garyhaywardcom
    But knives are close-combat weapons, unless you throw them--which seems uncommon. A gun is not; at least with a knife there is the chance that you can fight back; a case some years ago in the UK springs to mind where a primary (elementary) school teacher bravely fought off the attempt by a paranoid schizophrenic to slay her students. And she survived, albeit with some nasty cuts.
  • Drummerboy Benny 2013/01/03 16:42:48
  • garyhaywardcom 2012/12/28 03:49:04
    Yes. The more protection, the better.
    garyhaywardcom
    It's potentially an immediate help but deeper, more fundamental things need to change in USA.
  • Dawn 2012/12/28 03:35:18 (edited)
    Yes. The more protection, the better.
    Dawn
    Kevlar is lightweight n prized for being lightweight. Its a hard compound to make as well. Expensive yes, but also a great idea. The Kevlar shirts are a better option though.
    Edit: also unless its a cop killer gun or these are low grade Kevlar bags the bag should be able to take a few gun shots. Also to reiterate Kevlar is very light and does not get much heavier going up different grades of it.
  • Chief 2012/12/27 19:37:08
    Chief
    +3
    A bullet proof backpack wouldn't have done any of the kids any good.
  • TopShelf® (oyo) 2012/12/27 17:57:35
    TopShelf® (oyo)
    america cannot take the moral high-ground
    over any other nation until we clean up our
    increasingly demented society...armored backpacks?!
    what's next,arming teachers?oh wait,we're already
    doing that!
    adriana lima wink
    ...adriana lima...sweeeet! :)
  • pennie 2012/12/27 16:57:24
    pennie
    The kids was just sitting in class, they didn't have back packs on..why would that help, you can still be shot anywhere else on your body...God Bless those families and Kids...My eye's water just thinking of them.
  • Butch 2012/12/27 07:19:33
  • Eddie 2012/12/26 22:49:16
    Eddie
    You shoot the legs and finish them off. Not even a vest is fool proof.
  • Sheila 2012/12/26 19:04:20 (edited)
    Yes. The more protection, the better.
    Sheila
    +2
    How can anyone say this is a bad idea? If you have the money it is a good idea for no other reason than peace of mind. These are products. I cant find info as to whether they are produced in the US at this time. I dont see why we would choose to pick on someone for whatever steps they take to feel prepared and what products they choose to use to do that.
  • Chief Sheila 2012/12/27 19:39:41
    Chief
    It's a false sense of security. A bullet proof back pack won't stop a rifle shot. A child wouldn't be able to carry a back pack that would stop a rifle bullet.
  • Drummerboy Sheila 2013/01/03 16:45:17
  • Willyt 2012/12/26 18:56:56
    Willyt
    If it makes parents feel better i say go for it but the simple fact is these have a low chance of actually working should the need arise.
  • KING OF THE TRILL 2012/12/26 16:28:12
    KING OF THE TRILL
    In saying that, I do see how the backpacks are a good idea, however novel, but ultimately the US need to change gun laws — and not just because of this horrific incident but because of the epidemic of gun violence that is sweeping the United States. You may not know but on an average day 9 children are involved in gun-related crime, so this is not a one-off event.
  • Todd Pa... KING OF... 2012/12/26 20:50:56
    Todd Parsons
    +2
    I think you're off.... there are 311 million people in the US. Over 200 Million Guns (that are registered) and we had less than 9500 firearm murders in the US for 2012 of that number only 4% was committed with LEGALLY owned weapons. ... I wouldn't call it an epidemic by any means. I say we need harsher punishments.

Quick giving these prisoners a cushy room and equal rights to law abiding citizens. Once these criminals are convicted, They should be forced into hard labor. If they don't work...they don't eat. Conjugal visits?? F no! Free education?? Never, Also we need to re introduce the death penalty and move it quicker through the system. That's how you fix it.. Start holding the criminals accountable for their actions!
  • Michael... KING OF... 2012/12/27 19:19:42
    Michael Richardson
    +2
    Tell that to the Australians that have no recourse against the climbing gun crimes there ever since they banned guns.
  • Yes. The more protection, the better.
    One of Y'shua's,דָּנִיֵּאל
    especially in light of the UN TROOPS that will have orders to FIRE ON THE OUR PEOPLES DURING THE UP COMING REVOLUTION against the PROGRESSIVES COMMUNISTS and OBAMA'S UNIONS and OMABAFIED ARMY of ZOMBIES...YEP I find it a GOOD AND SOUND BUY...why not...
  • Warfinge 2012/12/26 13:39:46
    Yes. The more protection, the better.
    Warfinge
    Sure but they won't stop rifle rounds. I think it would be better to have more secure schools. Sandy Hook would not have happened if there had been bullet proof glass at the entrance used by the shooter. A cop on school grounds sounds good too.
  • David Hussey 2012/12/26 10:39:55
    David Hussey
    +2
    A change in the culture which worships violence and aggression is what is needed, not bulletproof backpacks.
  • john Kills 2012/12/26 07:04:01
    Yes. The more protection, the better.
    john Kills
    They would be expensive
  • calvin236 2012/12/26 05:27:45
    calvin236
    Even though they may help, i doubt they would in a real situation. I hope they figure out someway to make sure massacres like this don't happen again.
  • edm2000 2012/12/26 00:00:17
    edm2000
    +2
    We need security at schools. Don't tell me no that guns are the problem.
    Go up to any manufacturing plant, most any employeer and you will have guards, scan cards or fingerprint scanners, for security.
    What mentality lets you think our children should not be protected.
    I remember sleeping with the doors unlocked. America has changed and not for the better. Since WWII I there has been N0 years where we were more safe than the year before.
    Better get ready for bars on windows, more people with home security systems and more people arming themselves.
    WHEN A CRIMINAL IS SECONDS AWAY, POLICE IS MINUTES AWAY.
  • serena moon 2012/12/25 23:51:25
    serena moon
    i think boot thoughts are right but maybe the most important is that fire arms need to be regulated more
  • edm2000 serena ... 2012/12/26 00:03:42
    edm2000
    +1
    What arms won't kill kids?
    But we need the same arms to protect my old butt when I am threatened.
    See, old people are already targets or robbers, muggers. We are killed just for our meds.
    I will defend my self so don't take my defense and remember that brass knucks for defense can be used in an attack too.
    Pepper spray is usually carried for protection but what if you are sprayed with it, you are vunerable then for a robbery.
  • maci.mas.96 2012/12/25 22:06:58
    maci.mas.96
    +2
    I bet the makers agree, children should carry those heavy backpacks. Mental Illness is the issue and nobody's addressing it.
  • edm2000 maci.ma... 2012/12/26 00:05:35
    edm2000
    +2
    People can't see a solution for identifying memtal ill people and also they just repeat what they hear the government saying -- GUN CONTROL.
    I agree, but I call kid killers Evil instead of menally ill. We do agree though.
  • Sheila maci.ma... 2012/12/27 19:24:55
    Sheila
    LMAO, my childs back pack averages 18 lbs now.... Yes I checked. I weighed it for a week to document the weight for a medical condition.
  • Dale 2012/12/25 20:44:36
    Yes. The more protection, the better.
    Dale
    +1
    This could have been an "All of the above" answer.

2014/09/01 23:59:03