Brazil rocked by abortion for 9-year-old rape victim Church excommunicates mother and doctors – but not accused rapist

☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾ 2012/05/24 22:59:24

god rape sign

Declaring that "life must always be protected", a senior Vatican cleric has defended the Catholic Church's decision to excommunicate the mother and doctors of a nine-year-old rape victim who had a life-saving abortion in Brazil.

Cardinal Giovanni Batista Re, who heads the Pontifical Commission for Latin America, told reporters that although the girl fell pregnant after apparently being abused by her stepfather, her twins had, "the right to live, and could not be eliminated".

In an interview with the Italian newspaper, La Stampa, the cardinal added: "It is a sad case but the real problem is that the twins conceived were two innocent persons. Life must always be protected."

Police believe the girl was sexually assaulted for years by her stepfather, possibly since she was six. That she was four months pregnant with twins emerged only after she was taken to hospital complaining of severe stomach pains.

The controversy represents a PR nightmare for the Vatican. The unnamed girl's mother and doctors were excommunicated for agreeing to Wednesday's emergency abortion yet the Church has not taken formal steps against the stepfather, who is in custody. Jose Cardoso Sobrinho, the conservative regional archbishop for Pernambuco where the girl was rushed to hospital, has said that the man would not be thrown out of the Church, because although he had allegedly committed "a heinous crime", the Church took the view that "the abortion, the elimination of an innocent life, was more serious".

The case has set off fierce debate in Brazil, where abortion is permitted only in cases of rape or a medical emergency. Brazil is one of the most populous Catholic countries, but conservative attitudes in rural areas are strongly at odds with the relatively progressive public view of abortion in major cities.

Even the President, Luiz Ignacio Lula da Silva, has waded into the row. "As a Christian and a Catholic, I deeply regret that a bishop of the Catholic Church has such a conservative attitude," he said "The doctors did what had to be done: save the life of a girl of nine years old. In this case, the medical profession was more right than the Church."

One of the doctors involved in the abortion, Rivaldo Albuquerque, has raised the prospect of public clashes at his local church, telling Globo, the nation's main TV network, that he would keep going to mass there, regardless of the archbishop's order. The young girl at the centre of the case escaped excommunication only because she is still a child in the eyes of Church authorities. The stepfather, who is 23, was arrested last week, apparently trying to escape to another region of the country. Police say he is also suspected of abusing the girl's handicapped 14-year-old sister. He is in protective custody, and if convicted faces up to 15 years in prison.

2222

Read More: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/b...

• John Hall 2012/05/25 00:55:23
    Amazing....Just another example to add to history of how messed up the cathol...
    John Hall
    +6
    I'm really lost for words on this one what a shame .

• Random 2012/09/13 14:05:56
  • marty 2012/09/08 20:36:55
    All of the Above
    marty
    The Catholic church does more harm to Christianity than anything else. Ah, hypocrisy at its apogee!
  • Jrogers 2012/08/21 03:33:09
    If the Repugnants had their way, she would carry that baby until it killed he...
    Jrogers
    They chose not to ex-communicate pedophile preists - they just sent them to a different parish - where they could continue their pedophile behavior - I was raised Catholic and I was ex-communicated for divorcing my drug dealing ex-husband who would rather buy a bag of weed than a snow suit and matching snow boots for his one year old little boy
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Jrogers 2012/08/21 12:49:56
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    im sorry the church treated you this way
    not all religions are like this
    ★* ……………¸¸.´¯
    .( `\( ).¸¸.* ” ˜* ƸӜƷ)¸.´¯
    ..` /♥)\_/¯……………`.¸¸.´¯`
    .(_(’ /……………………`o.
    ……\ \. .ƸӜƷ) SENDING ƸӜƷ)
    ……/ /. . . ♥ FAERY KISSES♥
  • Jrogers ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/08/26 16:03:05 (edited)
    Jrogers
    Aww! Thanks DAW....gonna try some of that liquid soap you had posted on your blog. Nice blog with lots of great info.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Jrogers 2012/08/26 16:04:24
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    +1
    thanks i have tons of blogs i try to go more halloween type ones or seasonal ones
  • Jrogers ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/08/26 16:18:23
    Jrogers
    I will remember that come time to decorate for the holidays
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Jrogers 2012/08/26 16:44:41
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    i have a group here on sodahead if you like to join it where i post my recipes and blogs on do it yourself projects its a pagan spirituality group but the main focus is not about religion its about spirituality so its not a preachy religious group very laid back people
    Kindred Spirits
  • Jrogers ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/08/26 16:57:28
    Jrogers
    Thanks ill check it out
  • ghostrider 2012/08/11 04:01:11
    ghostrider
    Once more ... "Stupid is as stupid does".
  • macy 2012/08/10 22:54:35
    9 year old rape victims should NOT have to go through the trauma of pregnancy...
    macy
    I meant to pick all of the above, but I didn't see it. Anyone under about 14 is too young to have a baby, no matter what. I mean, I almost expected as much from the Church - with the exception of not excommunicating the rapist. That is absolutely beyond disgusting.
  • Seiryuu 2012/08/10 21:10:25
    All of the Above
    Seiryuu
    And this is why we need to change our views as time goes by.
  • Avenged7 2012/08/10 20:15:26
    Avenged7
    sounds just like typical religious doctrine!!!!!!!
  • Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow 2012/08/10 19:34:05
    All of the Above
    Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow
    and people wonder why im an atheist.
  • ☥☽✪☾DAW... Rukasak... 2012/08/10 19:59:37
    ☥☽✪☾DAW ☽✪☾
    not all religions are like this
  • Rukasak... ☥☽✪☾DAW... 2012/08/10 21:04:07
    Rukasaki ~~ Hawkshadow
    i know, but it's a shame any of them are
  • Steve 2012/08/10 19:24:58
    All of the Above
    Steve
    +1
    It's time for more Catholics to excommunicate their Church. I already have.
  • Bastion 2012/08/10 18:52:55
    excommunication from the catholic church is the best thing that could happen ...
    Bastion
    +1
    Excommunication! BONUS! Good bye and good riddence primitive, woman-hating mythology!

Girl and her mother should move to a FREE nation - even the USA would be better (for now).

If anyone know how to contact the mom, tell her to check this out:

http://www.subgenius.com

THERE'S a religion that will SAVE their SLACK
  • Flowers 2012/08/10 18:42:08 (edited)
    why am I so mad? This is still the same institution that protects it's priest...
    Flowers
    If the rapist had been kicked out, it wouldn't be as bad. The officials don't care about the innocent. Let's not forget WHY brazil is a very catholic country, and the unethical "religious cleansing" that occurred as well
  • BloodlessVeins 2012/08/10 18:20:22
    BloodlessVeins
    More....scars for life. All of this before she before she hits the emotional roller coasters that comes with being a teenager.
  • misterz 2012/08/10 17:05:22
    All of the Above
    misterz
    +1
    Another village missing its idiot(s). Dunce Cap
  • ETpro 2012/08/10 16:55:43
    ETpro
    +2
    Life must be protected? How about including protecting life from rape? How often do rapists kill their victims? How much higher is the suicide rate among women who have been forcibly raped? But why should any of that concern a church that only allows men in leadership roles?

BTW, love the billboard.
  • ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~ 2012/08/10 16:54:41
    All of the Above
    ~Roxy~Navy~Brat~
    +1
    Wow just wow I am almost at a loss for words at that. That is just horrible how the situation is being handled by the church. I would think the church would be more outraged at the step-father & more understanding towards the mother & doctors considering it was life threatening towards the INNOCENT 9 year old girl. But I guess her life meant nothing to them, also if it was life threatening to the girl then the twins probably had a good chance of dying as well.
  • NarcolepticGoat 2012/08/10 16:27:04
    That's outrageous!
    NarcolepticGoat
    +1
    Why save the child's life when you can kill THREE at the same time?

The worst part is the so called "person" Jose Cardoso Sobrinho replaced Dom Helder Camara.
  • Anonymouse ~superdoge~ 2012/08/10 16:12:23
    That's outrageous!
    Anonymouse ~superdoge~
    That's just a bit ridiculous...
  • James 2012/08/10 16:03:38
    This is why I turned my back on the church and became pagan.
    James
    Just one of the many reasons yet yes things like this type of idiocy made me understand that the church is not what it says it is.
  • P. Sturm 2012/07/04 05:00:05
    P. Sturm
    +1
    ... and it isn't just the Catholics.
  • James P. Sturm 2012/08/10 16:07:54
    James
    +2
    No its not just the Catholics, the Baptists, Methodists and various others all have high rape and molestations. Once again proving to me that suppressing human sexuality makes people act inhuman.
  • rustex782 2012/06/23 17:32:52
    All of the Above
    rustex782
    +1
    isn't that the normal thinking process for right wing Christians. My church excommunicated my family when my dad cheated on my mom for years and she wanted a divorce. I wasn't even allowed to see my friends any more. I was Mormon BTW
  • Jrogers rustex782 2012/08/26 16:13:15
    Jrogers
    Was your mom his only wife ? For some reason I thought they were allowed to have numerous wives.
  • rustex782 Jrogers 2012/08/26 19:02:18
    rustex782
    there's a cult that broke off of mormonism that does that but Mormons don't believe in polygamy
  • Jrogers rustex782 2012/09/04 23:54:23 (edited)
    Jrogers
    Ahh.....I see - there are so many different sects of various religions it is hard to keep them apart. Way back when in 1996 when I got my first desktop home pc - I stumbled on a website of ex-Mormons....and they enlightened me a little bit...they told me that the Moromons believe black folks are black because they are decendants of Cain from the Bible. I never understood how they came to that conclusion when they believed that people came from another planet. How is it they can mix the Bible into their religion when they believethey are from a different planet altogether?
  • rustex782 Jrogers 2012/09/05 03:19:15
    rustex782
    +1
    to me. . . . . the problem lies in the fact that religion is like an ink blot test.
  • Maria 2012/06/23 02:18:52
    All of the Above
    Maria
    +1
    speechless .....why world so sick sick!!!!
  • Brosia 2012/06/22 04:48:51
    That's outrageous!
    Brosia
    +1
    So saving the life of an innocent by ending a pregnancy that she never asked for is horrible and unforgivable, but systematically abusing a child...that is fine.

And people wonder why I hate the Catholic church.
  • Narcole... Brosia 2012/08/10 16:28:45
    NarcolepticGoat
    +3
    Not just that, she was 9 with twins. There is a distinct probability that NONE of the three would have survived. And the Church knew that.
  • Brosia Narcole... 2012/08/11 02:22:17
    Brosia
    +1
    And I didn't think it could get any worse.
  • Psyblade 2012/05/26 18:38:46
    All of the Above
    Psyblade
    +2
    I'm at a loss for words on this one. What the hell is wrong with people?!
  • Maria Psyblade 2012/06/23 02:16:25
    Maria
    +2
    Me too ...way too loss for words on this one .....speechless
  • BB 2012/05/26 18:22:07
    That's outrageous!
    BB
    +1
    Why is there evean a debate about the rights of a clump of cells?

2014/11/22 10:35:25