Bipolar Diagnoses For Two-Year-Olds: Too Soon To Tell?

Canto 2010/01/21 17:24:43
Doctors should be able to diagnose toddlers with bipolar disorder
Two-years-old is too soon to tell
I think...
Psychiatrists and physicians have begun diagnosing children with bipolar disorder at a very young age. If diagnosed, children could be prescribed strong drugs to counteract their behavior. Often times these kids will be happy at one moment and then hysterical the next: classic tells of bipolar disorder, but also classic signs of a completely normal two-year-old.

One psychiatrist points out, "The psychiatric diagnosis of very young children is anything but an exact science." Many issues ranging from ADHD to family dysfunction to too much candy will cause the same symptoms in a toddler.

Is 2-years-old too young to diagnose a child with bipolar disorder?

• Allegra Baker 2010/01/22 02:46:51
    I think...
    Allegra Baker
    +4
    First of all Bi-polar is a lot more drastic then a "happy one minute-hysterical the next" behavior. You can't even give a kid tylenol, and they want to give these toddlers heavy, dangerous and more harmful then the symptom of two-year-old hysteria. That's not going to work. Besides bi-polar disorder doesn't completely reveal itself until 10-16 years old (in adolescents). They diagnose anyone with Bi-polar disorder these days, even me, and it ended up being a slight side effect of hypoglycemia!!! My advice, doctors are good at bull-shiza . . .

• eliza 2012/08/20 23:54:19
    I think...
    eliza
    +1
    Well i have a 2 year old girl and lets just say i thought she went through the terrible twos at tw age of one!!! But boy didnt i getthat wrong. Ever since her little sister came into the world she had been playin up.. Her sister was born before her 2nd birthday and ever aince shes turned two her tantrums got worse and than all of a sudden she would go from angry to balling her eyes out and to being ok than laughing as id try to cheer her up and that would be in a matter of 5 minutes.. I used to date a jerk who i thought had bi polar because he used to do the same be happy one minute sad the next than all of a sudden be angry and very fustrated. It was to the point were i was scared of being alone with him so i gave him the ultimatum of gettn chekked out as e was in denial and it turned out that he did so im no longer with him. Not because i was shallow but i had another person to worry about at that time an that was my daughter who is now 2. Im bery unsure what to make off my daughters tantrum ands the classic signs of bi polar personally id never put my kid on drugs but alot of you moms and dads out there are saying that parents who give their kid strong drugs are bad parents. Be friken mindful that some parents might not have another option to help theor kid.. Let me ask you...
    Well i have a 2 year old girl and lets just say i thought she went through the terrible twos at tw age of one!!! But boy didnt i getthat wrong. Ever since her little sister came into the world she had been playin up.. Her sister was born before her 2nd birthday and ever aince shes turned two her tantrums got worse and than all of a sudden she would go from angry to balling her eyes out and to being ok than laughing as id try to cheer her up and that would be in a matter of 5 minutes.. I used to date a jerk who i thought had bi polar because he used to do the same be happy one minute sad the next than all of a sudden be angry and very fustrated. It was to the point were i was scared of being alone with him so i gave him the ultimatum of gettn chekked out as e was in denial and it turned out that he did so im no longer with him. Not because i was shallow but i had another person to worry about at that time an that was my daughter who is now 2. Im bery unsure what to make off my daughters tantrum ands the classic signs of bi polar personally id never put my kid on drugs but alot of you moms and dads out there are saying that parents who give their kid strong drugs are bad parents. Be friken mindful that some parents might not have another option to help theor kid.. Let me ask yous this, of your kid needed medical atention and you being the parent o your kid having no one elses opinions affecting your decisions wouldnt you be forcing the doctors to make your child better. I can understand that strong drugs might have an affect on your childs body but thats life! What about kids who have cancer and need khemo? Thats just as powerful so really think about what yous say here, have your opinion like i am but dont say parents r bad because they wantto give their kid drugs because thats the easy way to life. Like ever stopped to think that you dont know every 2 year olds situation? Your making assumptions on other people and shane on yous for doing so. Im proud enough to say i love my kids i respect the decisions parents they make for THEIR OWN CHILDREN!!! I also want to say bravo to all the parents out their who do right by their kids to get them checked out when your unsure. Yous can have soo many kids and your still bound to noe jack crap when it cones to their health. So BACK OFF THESE PARENTS WHO ACTUALLY CARE AND GET ANSWERS OFF MEDICAL PROFFESSIONALS AND DO SOMETHING FOR THEM IF DIAGNOSED. I tend to think my child is just being a typical 2 year old still does t make me think she dnt have bi polar i want to be safe and get oppinions so if you people out there have something positive to say about ny situation id like to hear from you :)
  • Amanda Bland 2011/04/19 00:48:25
    Amanda Bland
    you're an idiot. There are children with bipolar disorder--and it's no different than caring for a child with developmental issues, cancer, or diabetes--it's exhausting, and isolating for parents--particularly when ignoramuses opine on the subject, making the parents feel guilty over something they have NO control over. My daughter is happy, pleasant, sleeping well, and socializing in a normal way THANKS TO HER MEDICATION--and thank the Lord for that. Eventually, the stigma that haunts those who face this illness will fade--hopefully sooner than later.
  • wpsark Amanda ... 2011/04/20 19:40:22
    wpsark
    Is your child 2????
  • Amanda ... wpsark 2011/06/28 16:30:50
    Amanda Bland
    I have a 5 year old, and a 3 year old who was treated before he turned 3.
  • Erica Amanda ... 2011/05/04 18:50:42
    Erica
    +1
    i'm just wondering... i have a 2 1/2 year old little boy and bipolar runs in my mothers side. to me he shows signs of this disease. i guess my question is what signs should i look for
  • Amanda ... Erica 2011/06/28 16:29:59
    Amanda Bland
    Is your son's behavior logical to his surroundings? For instance, if you ask them to clean up their room--do they whine a bit, but eventually do it--or do they scream, throw a tantrum and tell you they hate you and that you hate them...? Kids do throw tantrums, and aren't always logical--but as a parent you can tell if their EMOTIONAL responses are logical or reasonable with their environment.
    Here are some things to look out for:
    -hyperactivity
    -poor sleeping habits (wakes very early in the morning, or doesn't appear to be rested)
    -very demanding emotionally
    -aggressive behavior
    -tantrums that last a couple of hours or more, and are frequent
    -inability to pay attention for long periods of time, easily frustrated with you or themselves
    There are other lists out there, I recommend you visit bpkids.org A GREAT resource
  • idiots make me sick 2010/02/15 15:49:49
  • AnderGrL03 2010/02/13 22:41:14
    I think...
    AnderGrL03
    thats ridiculous! "psychotic" 2 yr olds are more often than not a result of bad parenting. what a bunch or crap
  • Jaime L... AnderGrL03 2013/01/24 00:40:31
    Jaime Leigh
    +3
    You're a lunatic! bad parenting! you really are ignorant
  • Carolyn 2010/02/10 03:14:15
    Carolyn
    yeap yeap
  • Qute Pi 2010/02/04 19:56:25
    Two-years-old is too soon to tell
    Qute Pi
    I think parents and even doctors are in such a hurry to cure things by medication. Let a child grow before pushing medications on them.
  • Amanda ... Qute Pi 2011/04/19 00:52:01
    Amanda Bland
    +4
    ironically, a childs brain cannot 'grow' properly when it is chemically challenged. Anyone who knows anything about bipolar knows that coping habits begin at a young age--with medication, these poor, and oftentimes isolating/dangerous coping behaviors can be avoided. Many on here are doing more damage to these young people by ostracizing the treatment they need to be happy, and to develop normally. I have bipolar, and two of my children have bipolar---trust me, meds make all the difference in the world...and this is from someone who was in denial about her illness for years--I finally accept it--it would be nice if everyone else did, too.
  • Malak 2010/01/29 03:09:08
    I think...
    Malak
    I think too many parents are too quick to want to drug their kids just to make their lives easier. I am not a medical professional by any means... just a mom who has raised 3 kids, who were all, at one time... a two year old. I see so many young parents mistreating, and ignoring their children... no wonder these little one act the way they do. These poor babies are just trying to get the love and attention they need and deserve from their parents. Many of these parents don't even want these precious children and simply see them as a pain in the ass. For many parents who have children who are products of neglect from the very parent who is supposed to be taking care of them; diagnosing them with a mental condition and drugging them, would take the responsibility from the parent, because... omg.. the kid was treated by a medical doctor, after all. And therefore, the parent can't be responsible for the child acting out... cuz.. omg.... the kid is "sick" Give me a break... Be a real Mom. Be a real Dad... and stop trying to place blame on a baby for their behaviour. A two year old... even an older child, can't be responsible or just labeled Bi Polar, in order to stroke the ego of the parents. "It must be the kids fault, cuz it couldn't possibly be my fault." OMG PEOPLE open your eyes. Step up and take care of your kids. Stop drugging them to make your life easier.
  • eliza Malak 2012/08/21 00:04:17
    eliza
    +3
    Ever stopped to think these parents are just wanting theor kids to lead an have a better life? Think before you start bagging out other parents. You say you got 3 kids nd they were typical 2 year olds well let me just say thats your kids, thats not every child out their. There are kids who need medications to cope with everyday tasks and to lead normal lives without the taunting and the bullying off other kids. Im not attacking you personally but your mind set is your opinion i acknowledge that but your mind set is very negative. By your comment your an older mum who has probably been there done that with kids but you know what im a 21 year old mum studied child care done all that had kids of my own and half of my friends are better parents than the older generation of mums. You cant say some young parents neglect their kids. Yea its more often than it should but no one is perfect you may not see what these parebtsr doing for their kids is perfect but just renember their the parebt not you!!!
  • Girlies 2010/01/29 03:04:51
    Two-years-old is too soon to tell
    Girlies
    two year olds are always changing there minds and opinions , there is no way you can tell there brain isn't even any where close to be being fully developed.
  • Yume 2010/01/27 10:23:55
    Two-years-old is too soon to tell
    Yume
    Obviously, some doctors are crazy. A two-year-old is gonna have mood swings, they're young! All kids have mood swings. They throw fits to get what they want. Even if they are PERFECTLY HAPPY. Kids will be kids. You cant do much about that.
  • Amanda ... Yume 2011/04/20 18:38:57
    Amanda Bland
    +2
    Speaks a person who doesn't have a child with a mood disorder. You have no idea how debilitating mood disorders are--we aren't talking about a child who cries, and throws tantrums---we are talking about children who are constantly unhappy, constantly screaming, ravaging the house, and wanting to hurt themselves. Come talk to me when your daughter says she hates herself 10 times a day. Until then, your opinion lacks depth.
  • Robin 2010/01/25 01:08:43
    Two-years-old is too soon to tell
    Robin
    All two year old's have bipolar disorder. It's called the Terrible Two's! Seriously, two years old is way too soon to determine this. Just like it's too soon to diagnose ADHD, Autism and a hundred other illnesses that hectic and stressed to the max parents are so quick to pin on their children because they don't have the time to deal with them themselves. Gone are the days when good old-fashioned discipline cured unruly behavior. Also gone are the parents who actually sat down with their children and played with them, spent time with them instead of enrolling them in gymnastics, dance, preschool, etc., way before they're ready. My daughter (now 17 and perfectly normal by the way) had this pinned on her when she was 2 or 3. She was an extremely active toddler and nonstop. People told me that I should have her checked. I took her to my doctor and he said, "There's nothing wrong with your daughter other than being a 2 year old. They have an attention span of about a minute at that age." TG for him.
  • Danny 2010/01/24 14:04:44
    Two-years-old is too soon to tell
    Danny
    Way too soon. Kids are naturally bipolar. They'll be crying one minute and giggling the next. It doesn't make them bipolar. It just means they have limited short term memory. they forgot why they were crying in the first place.
  • Robin Danny 2010/01/25 01:09:35
    Robin
    Exactly! Their emotions are all over the place.
  • Billy Sastard 2010/01/23 19:55:28
    Two-years-old is too soon to tell
    Billy Sastard
    I see soooooo many people agree with me on this issue. Thank god there's still sensibility in this world.
  • kernelsanderscheckin 2010/01/23 07:37:48
    I think...
    kernelsanderscheckin
    advanced case.

advanced case
  • lifelovefreedom 2010/01/23 06:17:32
    Two-years-old is too soon to tell
    lifelovefreedom
    This is disgusting.
  • Demon Dolphin 2010/01/23 06:00:16
    Two-years-old is too soon to tell
    Demon Dolphin
    +1
    Yeah, just give the little ones pills untill they act like robots. That will surely help them.
  • Amanda ... Demon D... 2011/04/19 00:55:26
    Amanda Bland
    +1
    how many kids do you know who have been diagnosed with bipolar? And how many of them live with you? And how many of them take medication? My guess is that none of these questions come close to your personal experience with this illness. When your child tells you they want to kill themselves--trust me, you'd take robot any day of the week. But your assumption is false---the right meds actually make life more pleasant and peaceful, this robot notion is pure bias and ignorance.
  • Jaime L... Amanda ... 2013/01/24 00:45:03
    Jaime Leigh
    +4
    You only know it if you live with it. These other people are ignorant and dont understand. I used to be the same way till my son became the way he is and he is 3, so i know what bipolar is and that he has it, and so does anyone who spends any time with him.
  • dashiell love 2010/01/23 05:31:29
    I think...
    dashiell love
    +1
    WTF? Is this for real? This is disgusting. Drug reps courts the hell out of doctors buying them lunches and taking them on trips, and some unconscionable doctors are apparently shameless, I am physically revolted. But I'm sure that there will be a few of you sodaheads who think this is perfectly ok.
  • Amanda ... dashiel... 2011/04/19 00:57:53
    Amanda Bland
    +1
    then I guess insulin is a sham...radiation---plasma, heart medication, blood pressure medication, tylenol, allergy medication, birth control pills...all of those are a sham, too? Well, if those are all a sham, then I hope those drug reps keep taking doctors out to lunch!!
  • Abort A Liberal, Save A Life. 2010/01/23 04:18:56
    Two-years-old is too soon to tell
    Abort A Liberal, Save A Life.
    That kind of medicine could kill a toddler. They don't let them have cough medicine, but they're going to give them Lithium? Did someone from the Obama party think this was a great new, population control idea?
  • Amanda ... Abort A... 2011/04/19 00:59:35
    Amanda Bland
    +1
    I'm trolling now, but this thinking is DANGEROUS. Why would you alienate someone from getting the treatment they need? Did you know that bipolar is LIFE THREATENING? It's no different than guilting someone with diabetes for taking insulin...it's all so shameful and ignorant.
  • Abort A... Amanda ... 2011/04/30 00:37:32
    Abort A Liberal, Save A Life.
    I read some of your other replies on here and I think you might specialize in mental illness... not bipolar, but full on crazy... as in, that's what you are. If you're going to school people on information, make sure you school people that are more in the dark than you are. I was raised by a father who worked hands on with the mentally ill for 30 plus years. When he read your response to me, I thought he was going to have a heart attack from laughing. He said that you sound like one of those folks who wants their kid drugged up, so that you don't have to do your job of being a parent. True bipolar tendencies aren't going to show up in children that small (it's called the terrible two's... look it up). It's dangerous to give anyone, especially children, medications that they don't need.

And being bipolar is life threatening? WTF are you smoking? It's a mental illness; not a threat to life. If someone went nuts and picked up a knife and started hacking people, that may be dangerous, but I'd think that a RESPONSIBLE parent would keep sharp objects away from a child to begin with, or perhaps the real danger comes from the parent and not the child's alleged bipolar disorder.

The only thing dangerous on here, is the fact that you would spread your misinformed, lazy 'parents' crap... and that somebody might be dumb enough to actually think you know what you're talking about... scary.
  • Pat Tho... Abort A... 2011/06/09 04:16:01
    Pat Thompson
    +2
    Being Bipolar can be life threatening. WTF are you smoking? Know any bipolar people that aren't taking their meds?
  • Shadow White 2010/01/23 03:58:30
    I think...
    Shadow White
    +1
    Bipolar is the new ADHA/ADD. Here in Australia nearly every second child was being 'diagnosed' with ADD or ADHD. Basically the GP's couldn't be arsed figuring out what was wrong with the child or they where being paid big bucks (lot's of money) to push the medication that apparently 'helps' or 'cures' ADD & ADHD. Never mind the fact that a LOT of the kid's who were diagnosed with ADD & ADHD once set in a routine, once fed healthy meals and taught what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't all seemed to "get over" their bout of ADD/ADHD. I've not know any child that's really had ADD or ADHA, let alone bipolar. There are children who need extra support or help, and nine time's out of ten those children are either mildly disabled OR they are just very needy for attention. Some children are like that, they need your acknowledgement constantly. Other's are happy to just go off and play football outside or ride a bike or even read a book in their room. There's no such thing as ADD/ADHA nor is there bipolar in children. It's not possible for children to have manic depression ffs. They cognitively aren't creating enough of the chemicals (a deficiency in serotonin and a decreased amounts of norepinephrine) to produce depression let alone the ups and downs that come with mania. *sighs*...
    Bipolar is the new ADHA/ADD. Here in Australia nearly every second child was being 'diagnosed' with ADD or ADHD. Basically the GP's couldn't be arsed figuring out what was wrong with the child or they where being paid big bucks (lot's of money) to push the medication that apparently 'helps' or 'cures' ADD & ADHD. Never mind the fact that a LOT of the kid's who were diagnosed with ADD & ADHD once set in a routine, once fed healthy meals and taught what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't all seemed to "get over" their bout of ADD/ADHD. I've not know any child that's really had ADD or ADHA, let alone bipolar. There are children who need extra support or help, and nine time's out of ten those children are either mildly disabled OR they are just very needy for attention. Some children are like that, they need your acknowledgement constantly. Other's are happy to just go off and play football outside or ride a bike or even read a book in their room. There's no such thing as ADD/ADHA nor is there bipolar in children. It's not possible for children to have manic depression ffs. They cognitively aren't creating enough of the chemicals (a deficiency in serotonin and a decreased amounts of norepinephrine) to produce depression let alone the ups and downs that come with mania. *sighs* Some parents are so gullible. Look, if your worried your child has ADHA/ADD or bipolar, get off your fat lazy arse and go to parenting classes. Learn how to raise your child to the best of YOUR ability, because after all- your the one who had unprotected sex, your the one who decided not to abort, thus your the one responsible for that small person for the rest of your life (not just 10-17 years, your whole life!). So stop trying to flog off your rowdy child to someone else (GP's/Paediatricians) and stop blaming their poor behaviour on some sort of disorder or mental illness. Your the one that feeds them junk/fast food, your the one who doesn't read to them or try to help them learn, your the one who doesn't play with them. So why complain when your two or three year old is bouncing off the walls uncontrollably after you've just fed him or her a gallon of ice-cream, hot dogs, chips, hamburgers, candy/sweets/lollies, and four litres of red water cordial/coca-cola!
    Try feeding them fresh fruit and vegetables with lean meats. Oh and here's an idea, instead of sitting your child in front of the t.v and walking away, then getting angry at them when your at your computer chatting online and they come in complaining that they are bored or wanting your attention, try actually turning your computer off, going outside and playing with them! I mean Christ Almighty, you remember what it was like as a kid right? You remember wanting your siblings/parents to play with you? Then why are you expecting your own offspring to just sit in a corner not making a sound? * sighs * sorry, I just hate how selfish SOME parent's are. You know I honestly believe some people should be sterilised. It'd save the rest of us a whole heap of time.
  • jerrbear 2010/01/23 03:49:32 (edited)
    I think...
    jerrbear
    +2
    That's the biggest load of crap I ever heard! Why do people have kids if they can't handle them when there in there 2's, every time they acted up I made them watch cspan!
  • starwarschick 2010/01/23 03:17:24
    Two-years-old is too soon to tell
    starwarschick
    what. the. hell!!!!!
    a two year old?!?! damn...is america becoming dumber??? god...hey, im bi-polar, and i figured that out when i was 10!
    a two year old...the kid could just be throwing some fits is all; he/she is not bi-polar!
  • EvilResident 2010/01/23 02:39:45
    I think...
    EvilResident
    That the Medical Community needs to look into other things than the possibility of Bi-Polar symptoms when a child is just beginning to learn the depth of their varying emotional states.
  • The Gov-Here to help BN362 2010/01/23 01:54:54
    I think...
    The Gov-Here to help BN362
    They will continually cohearse people into taking more and more drugs until society is completely stupid..

STOP TAKING THE DRUGS PEOPLE!
  • ¬©TransAmTam~Metal Queen \m/ 2010/01/23 01:47:32
  • Moderated 2010/01/23 01:33:11 (edited)
    Two-years-old is too soon to tell
    Moderated
    +2
    Jesus Christ....their brains are still developing at two!!!! What the hell is WRONG with these morons!
  • Amanda ... Moderated 2011/04/19 01:01:23
    Amanda Bland
    +3
    their brains actually can't develop properly if there is a chemical malfunction, moron! But I guess I"m expecting people with strong opinions on the topic to have any kind of context.

2014/07/31 21:44:11