Big Jump In Unplanned Pregnancies For Poor Women

bricklyn 2011/10/08 22:47:30

Every year about five percent of women in the U.S. have
an unplanned pregnancy. Statistics reveal that this number has remained
more-or-less steady since 1994. So nothing to be alarmed about, right?

Wrong.

A more thorough examination of the data reveals that while the
overall unintended pregnancy rate has remained the same, the numbers for
poor women have jumped up, while those for wealthier women have
decreased.

Poor Women Five Times More Likely Than Higher-Income Women To Have An Unplanned Pregnancy

According to a new Guttmacher analysis
of government data from the National Survey of Family Growth and other
sources, in 2006, poor women were five times more likely to have an
unintended pregnancy when compared to higher-income women:

In 1994, the unintended pregnancy rate
among women with incomes below the federal poverty line was 88 per 1,000
women aged 15–44; it increased to 120 in 2001 and 132 in 2006-a 50%
rise over the period. At the same time, the rate among higher-income
women (those with incomes at or above 200% of the poverty line) fell
from 34 in 1994 to 28 in 2001 and 24 in 2006-a 29% decrease. Poor
women’s high rate of unintended pregnancy results in their also having
high-and increasing-rates of both abortions (52 per 1,000) and unplanned
births (66 per 1,000).

The rates were also higher for women who are 18-24, those who
cohabitate, and minorities. However, low-income women had higher rates
of unplanned pregnancies regardless of other factors, including marital
status. A poor married woman’s chance of having an unintended pregnancy
is more than twice as high as that of a well-off single woman.

And Yet…The Continued Fight To Restrict Abortion Rights And Defund Planned Parenthood

And yet, in tandem with these numbers, we see the efforts in so many
states to restrict abortion rights and to defund Planned Parenthood
continuing unabated. Have those Republican lawmakers actually considered
that restricting low-income women’s access to family planning services
could result in a jump in unplanned pregnancies? And have they thought
about what the long-term effects of that increase could be?

Just when poorer women need more help with reproductive decisions, they are watching their healthcare options disappear.

As Care2′s Amelia Thomson-Veaux wrote here, a shocking 33 laws restricting abortion access were enacted in nine states during the month of April.

The war on women continues.

Read More: http://www.care2.com/causes/big-jump-in-unplanned-...

• Ron in Oregon 2011/10/09 16:26:19
    Ron in Oregon
    I agree with Chukroast below and I am a registered Republican since January 2008.
    I have transported women to an abortion clinic.
    For safety I did carry a concealed weapon.
    What do you think was on the mind of the "Octomom"?
  • bricklyn Ron in ... 2011/10/09 16:32:10
    bricklyn
    Octomom has serious mental issues. She does not represent the majority of women.
  • Chukroast 2011/10/08 22:53:00
    Chukroast
    +2
    Probably caused by two things: (1) Big jump in number of unemployed husbands who are home with nothing to do but twiddle their thumbs (et al), and (2) Due to their indigent state, the consider all the possibilities for getting a handout and figure that putting another child on the public dole would be the easiest way to go.
  • bricklyn Chukroast 2011/10/09 16:31:20
    bricklyn
    How about another stereo type. No one said anything about welfare in the article.
  • Simmering Frog 2011/10/08 22:51:54
    Simmering Frog
    black women abortion

The war on women continues? I think you meant to say, "The exploitation of women continues."
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/10/09 16:30:17 (edited)
    bricklyn
    No I did not. Women rights are being taken away. Not all poor women are black either.
  • chloeeo... Simmeri... 2011/11/29 21:41:57
  • Simmeri... chloeeo... 2011/12/03 06:42:29
    Simmering Frog
    Always use vulgarity when your point is weak. That works.
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/03 17:12:52
    bricklyn
    ALways try to dodge the question when you have no answer.
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/04 22:27:20
    Simmering Frog
    Maybe if you asked a question, I could dodge it. Until then, don't be a dick.
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/07 04:34:32
    bricklyn
    It was in response to the sick photo you posted and you failed to answer why you posted the photo. Instead you dodged the question. I guess you are incapable of following the conversations here.
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/07 04:36:22
    Simmering Frog
    You find the photograph of a little black girl sick?
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/07 04:52:59
    bricklyn
    I think it is sick that you would stoop that low to get your point across.
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/07 17:00:24
    Simmering Frog
    The billboard is great. It exposes truth that you want hidden. If you call that sick, then that's your problem to deal with.
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/10 17:13:35
    bricklyn
    I do not hide anything at all. To use ethnicity as a point is outrageous. Women are the ones that make a decision. If you do not want an abortion do not have one. Let other people live their lives the way they want to. Keep your opinions to yourself. You have no right to meddle in the personal affairs of others. You do not pay their bills, you do not raise their kids and you do not deal with the challenges in their lives.
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/10 18:36:25 (edited)
    Simmering Frog
    "To use ethnicity as a point is outrageous."

Hey! The statistics speak for themselves.

"If you do not want an abortion do not have one."

Would that statement apply to slavery back in the 1800s? Don't like slavery? Hell, don't own one. See how stupid that is? You can argue your point better than that.

"Keep your opinions to yourself. You have no right to meddle in the personal affairs of others."

Should that apply also if I see evidence of child abuse? Should I simply mind my own business?

I just destroyed everyone of your points.
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/13 04:07:42
    bricklyn
    Abortions has nothing to do with slavery, it is a choice by those who want them.

Slavery was forced onto people who had no choice and were never asked.

You have not destroyed nothing, except proven that you want to control someone else's life.

People like you seen to forget about those fetuses the instant they are born and forget about who will have to pay for the care and raising of that child for the next 18 years.
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/13 06:07:24 (edited)
    Simmering Frog
    "You have not destroyed nothing"

(You really mean to say, "You have not destroyed anything.)

That's exactly the justification the Nazis used to get rid of the mentally retarded. You're sick in the head. And uneducated.
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/17 06:25:43
    bricklyn
    I have a Phd in Biology and am very well educated. What I am not is superstitious and a believer in magic and mythology and invisible characters with malevolent personalities.

Simply because I do not agree with you does not mean you are right. It also has nothing to do with Nazis either. You might like to read the bible and find out that the christian god was a master terrorist and commanded genocide and the slaughter of millions including the innocent children and the unborn.

I believe women should have autonomy over their bodies and should never be held hostage by society because of their reproductive ability. That is the exact reason women have been second class citizen through out history.

You are more interested in a clump of cell, rather than the women and the already existing families they may already have and the future of that family. You are not standing in line to adopt the more than 144,000 children that are ready to be adopted today and have been waiting for years for loving parents and will never have them in their entire life.

You and people of your ilk are the most ill informed and ignorant of any on this planet. There are 7 billion people on this planet and most do not have enough water or food on a daily basis. Start taking a look at that befor you rant about cells that need saving.
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/17 07:52:30
    Simmering Frog
    If you have a PHD in Biology and truly are educated, then you of all people are aware of prenatal development.

The arguments you present are old. What are you doing is placing value on human life because of circumstances such as whether the unborn child is wanted or not or whether or not it will be a burden on society. That's precisely what the Nazis did. And yes, it has plenty to do with the Nazi philosophy. You can brag about how educated you are until the cows come home but your understanding of the evils of the past is sadly rather light weight. You are doing the exact same thing. Don't like the Nazi comparison which is spot on? Go pound sand.
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/25 01:25:45
    bricklyn
    I am very aware of fetal development. But I am also very aware of women's issues and their right to self determination.

Women are NOT baby machines and have families to raise and support.

You arguments are not only old they are infringing on the rights of every other women on the planet to self direct their life. You are not going to support all the unwanted children on the planet and not willing to adopt all the unwanted children either.

The only thing you are concerned with is your own agenda, and nothing else. Yours is one of the most self centered and ignorant stand point of all. You have not thought out your entire premise on any level. It smacks of self righteous and self centredness and a total lack of considerations for anyone but yourself. Get a life and let everyone else live their own life. You certainly are not paying the bills for all the people who are struggling to feed their families every single day.
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/25 01:39:24 (edited)
    Simmering Frog
    "But I am also very aware of women's issues and their right to self determination."

What about their right to life at the beginning stages? That's something you totally deny.

You know what you do with your pro-choice stance? You exploit women for profit.

You don't know what bills I may or may not be paying. But you justify abortion because a human life is inconvenient for you. How sick.
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/25 01:53:38
    bricklyn
    I do not deny anything, but I believe that the people who are already actually leading their lives are much more important than a clump of cells.

Pro-choice does not exploit women for profit at all. It keeps women out of perpetual poverty and oppression. It gives them hope for a better future and an opportunity to raise their families with a better resources.

It is not about inconvenience at all, it is about delivering families out of poverty and giving them a life and future.
    This is not about a singe fetus, it is about complete lives and total families,

Yours is the single most selfish and disgusting statements I have ever heard thrown about to make others feel guilty for trying to preserve their family units. While you personally do not a damn thing to adopt or supply money to any of those who actually need it.

Single mothers are the most disadvantaged group in all of the planet and in N. America they are the most discriminated against of all. People see them as a blight on society and try constantly to take social programs away form them and people of your ilk do their best to feel self righteous in their insidious opinion to degrade them into baby machines.

WOMEN ARE NOT FARM ANIMALS OR BREEDING STOCK.
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/25 02:01:10
    Simmering Frog
    Your justifications are sick. You say NOTHING NOTHING about abortions performed in India that are performed primarily on females fetuses because the parents only want a male child.

When you make statements like "Pro-choice does not exploit women for profit at all," you know very well that's a total lie.
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/25 02:21:09
    bricklyn
    You have a sick mind to think that your opinion is the only one that counts.

To think that women are baby machines is disgusting and medical procedures are no more exploiting women than any other medical procedure. Your obsession with this topic has festered your mental process to the point where you are incapable of any rational or logical thought.

Women are not slaves or chattel like they were in the last century, they are actually people. And deserve to be treated with respect and dignity and with the exact same rights as men. Until that happens they will never be equal under the law.

We have come a long way since the DARK AGES when women were expect to serve men.
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/25 02:24:54
    Simmering Frog
    Respect and dignity? You are the expert on respect and dignity? You know of neither.
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/25 04:24:33 (edited)
    bricklyn
    So, you think you do. That is hilarious.

insig
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/25 06:30:55 (edited)
    Simmering Frog
    It's not about me at all. It's truth. And you go right ahead and attack all you want, but I really couldn't care any less because truth doesn't change no matter how you attack it.
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/26 17:42:15
    bricklyn
    You have no idea at all what the truth really is. You are all about your own selfish opinion and have no thought about the future and well being of others.

Your only thoughts are about yourself. An extreme zealot with no motivation by for your own agenda.
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/26 21:55:30
    Simmering Frog
    My own selfish opinion? You are the one denying the dignity of the unborn and you call me selfish?
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2011/12/27 01:02:03
    bricklyn
    I believe in the dignity of people who have already established their lived on the planet. Not a clump of cells that have not. There is no dignity in cells with no functioning brain or nervous system.

like I said you have no consideration for those who are already living lives. The instant they are born you are no where to be found and completely forget about where those individuals will find the money to actually pay for food and housing. Neither do you even give a damn.
  • Simmeri... bricklyn 2011/12/27 06:20:06
    Simmering Frog
    Fetuses are already living. As a person who knows biology, you already knew that. You want to argue your point more intelligently? Stop projecting what you think my thoughts are as if they are real. You no more know my thoughts than I know yous. Stick with the facts and you'll come across sounding smarter.
  • bricklyn Simmeri... 2012/01/07 06:04:40
    bricklyn
    I have stuck strictly to the facts that I have presented about the people who are living on this planet and the statistics surrounding them as well.

You have at no time ever had any thoughts or considerations for women or their families here. It is all about you and nothing else. If you had something else to say you would have done it by now.

The facts that there are hundred of thousands of children on this planet already that need and deserve home that will never get one is the issue that needs to be addressed.

YOUR SELF CENTERED ATTITUDE IS THE PROBLEM, NOT THE SOLUTION TO ANYTHING.

2014/09/18 01:49:04