Banker’s Insulting Waitress Tip Incites Class Warfare Between the 1% and the 99%: How dumb is this?

the_old_coach 2012/02/27 19:16:07

JuBanker u2019s Insulting Waitress Tip st when you may have thought the ongoing battle between the 99% and the 1% was dying down, it may have been reignited. A wealthy banker left a $1.33 tip on a $133 lunch at the True Food Kitchen restaurant in Newport Beach, California.

To add insult to injury the word "tip" was circled on the receipt,
and the banker wrote "get a real job" on the bill. The picture of the
receipt was taken and uploaded to the blog Future Ex-Banker by a person
who was dining with the anonymous banker. As expected, the blog received a lot of attention
and has now been taken down. The author of the blog wrote, "mention the
99% in my boss' presence and feel his wrath. So proudly does he wear
his 1% badge of honor that he tips exactly 1% every time he feels the
server doesn't sufficiently bow down to his holiness."

People online who had a chance to see the blog post before it went
offline and those who have been made aware of it on social media outlets
are outraged. One person called the tip a "tale of greed and contempt," and another referred to it as "arrogance personified."
The Web's general reaction to this story is eerily similar to an almost
identical 1% vs. 99% scenario that took place last fall. In Washington
state, a waitress received a tip of no money and advice scrawled on the receipt that told her she could "stand to lose a few pounds."

Read More: http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/trending-now/banker-in...

• Beat Magnum True Hero 2012/02/27 20:18:44
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +9
    The issue isn't even the tip, it's the snide "Get a real job" comment. What a bloody coward! Know what a real job is? It's a service you provide in exchange for payment. That means that everything is a real job, and I can promise you that in this economy, a good number of people in the service industry probably got laid off from a "real job" in the last year. Remember, we're all about one layoff away from having to do this ourselves, so treat the service industry employees with dignity: they work so that you don't have to.

• Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/03/02 05:49:14
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    This story has now been proven to be a Hoax and CNN and the Huffington Post acknowledge it.
  • Quietman ~PWCM~JLA 2012/02/28 22:41:44
    Quietman   ~PWCM~JLA
    +1
    This story is a HOAX, stupid Huffpo & CNN fell for for it!!

http://losangeles.cbslocal.co...
  • the_old... Quietma... 2012/02/29 01:59:38
    the_old_coach
    Saw that this afternoon! I wonder why people have to do stupid things like that!
  • TheMadChameleon 2012/02/28 22:10:54
    TheMadChameleon
    +2
    A "real job" he says? Let's see how he likes getting his own food at a sit-down restaurant.
  • true american 2012/02/28 13:40:23
    true american
    +1
    Wrong approach, I always leave a hefty tip unless the service is horrible. I have left a penny, and this was for bad sevice. I do not think the entire story is being told.
  • USAF Vet 2012/02/28 08:27:40
    USAF Vet
    +2
    Was the waitress an ex-lover?
    +1
    First of all .. there's no discussion on the quality of the service that the wait staff provided (nor the kitchen staff .. I'm sure they get a cut of the tips too) ..

IF the service is lousy .. I'll tip less .. (But I'm not rude about it .. nor do I make disparaging comments about the physical appearance or job status of the individual) ..

IF The service is good .. I'll tip even more ..

But I'm also aware of the fact that some occasions .. especially when I am with groups of individuals .. that the TIP is built into the price of the meal .. (yep .. it is already included) ..
    and if the service is exceptional .. then I'll tip EXTRA for that service ..
  • strawberry 2012/02/28 03:35:35
    strawberry
    +2
    What do you expect from a banker.?
  • Detective_Alibi_Lawliet 2012/02/28 02:51:39
    Detective_Alibi_Lawliet
    +4
    Wow, how rude.
  • strawberry Detecti... 2012/02/28 03:36:23
    strawberry
    +2
    I always give big tips to waiters and waitresses. It is a very hard job.
  • JDLogan 2012/02/28 02:50:45
    JDLogan
    +5
    On the comment, he is utterly without couth or social graces; on the size of the tip, I don't know how well the server did their job, so I can't really comment. Depending on the quality of service, I have left tips as small as one cent, I also once gave a five dollar tip on a midnight coffee and cake ticket for two, the ticket total was $7.50.
  • strawberry JDLogan 2012/02/28 03:37:46
    strawberry
    +1
    Cheapscate! LOL!
  • mwg0735 2012/02/28 02:16:29
  • strawberry mwg0735 2012/02/28 03:45:10
    strawberry
    +2
    Well give the Old Coach a rave on his question then.
  • mwg0735 strawberry 2012/02/28 15:18:22
  • true am... mwg0735 2012/02/28 13:40:50
    true american
    +1
    Same here
  • Bear 2012/02/28 01:44:34
    Bear
    +4
    unless the service person was exceptionally bad or there was some other extenuating circumstance, this guy was a total a-hole.
  • strawberry Bear 2012/02/28 03:38:53
    strawberry
    +2
    Bankers usually are obnoxious and rude.
  • Bear strawberry 2012/02/28 08:27:45
    Bear
    +1
    I have a lot of banker friends....some fit your description and others don't....
  • SarcasticB*tch 2012/02/27 23:15:07
    SarcasticB*tch
    +4
    what a prick!
    like, if there were no waitresses, who the hell would serve his sorry ass?
    Nobody, that's who.
  • strawberry Sarcast... 2012/02/28 03:39:41
    strawberry
    +2
    Maybe he's related to Scroodge.
  • Sarcast... strawberry 2012/02/28 11:37:48
  • strawberry Sarcast... 2012/02/29 01:28:30
    strawberry
    LOL!
  • funky monkey 2012/02/27 21:40:57
    funky monkey
    +1
    if the service was bad you tip 5% or 10% not 1%... then you're just being rude
  • true am... funky m... 2012/02/28 13:42:41
    true american
    No if the service is bad YOU GET NOTHING. Your tip is reflected on how the service was given. I do not give 5% or 10% just because.
  • funky m... true am... 2012/05/30 17:05:05
    funky monkey
    It's not "just because", they still served you none the less and deserve something. Never tip nothing.
  • true am... funky m... 2012/05/31 02:25:44
    true american
    I am sorry if you do not do your job,either serving food or another job you will not get paid.
  • funky m... true am... 2012/06/19 19:04:41
    funky monkey
    +1
    But they did do their job so long as they brought you out the food, you sat there and got served
  • true am... funky m... 2012/06/20 01:28:02
    true american
    +1
    Bringing food is not the entire service. Making sure the customer has drinks etc.. is vital ,and a good attitude goes a long way as well. I am not tipping just because she or he is waiting tables.
  • funky m... true am... 2012/06/26 17:42:03
    funky monkey
    you obviously have never waited on people, after a six or seven hour shift you get very tired, have pity on a person you don't know what's been going on. Unless they were genuinely just rude and did not do their jobs they deserve a tip
    +3
    He should be preemnantly BARRED from that estblishment....
  • strawberry Lady Wh... 2012/02/28 03:40:15
    strawberry
    +3
    He should lose his wallet.
  • Someone Else 2012/02/27 20:48:45
    Someone Else
    +3
    $134. for lunch what a dumbass
  • Doreen 2012/02/27 20:22:26 (edited)
    Doreen
    +3
    As far as the tip maybe her service was not good and he just gave her something to let her know that her service was bad. As far as the note he was completely wrong to do that and it was very immature and stupid. Maybe instead of being an a**hole he should of just have left no tip. I guess in his mind two wrongs make a right. All jobs are real jobs by the way. If you are working to support yourself whether it is a job that you fill out a W-2 for or a job that is under the table you are working.
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +9
  • Lady Wh... Beat Ma... 2012/02/27 21:06:09
    +2
    Well said!
  • DS in Oak Ridge NC 2012/02/27 20:09:10
    DS in Oak Ridge NC
    +2
    What we don't know is what level of service was provided the customer. I usually tip 15-20%, but there are times when I'm tempted to leave a tip but talk to a manager.
  • Hula girl - Friends not Fol... 2012/02/27 19:55:56 (edited)
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +5
    EDITED: THIS WAS A HOAX AND CNN AND HUFFINGTON POST HAVE NOW ACKNOWLEDGED IT.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cn...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://www.theblaze.com/stori...

The banker might be arrogant but guess what....a tip is just that....a tip. It's an extra. It's not a mandatory payment. It's a bonus. On the other side of things there are way too many service industries that expect a tip as part of their pay yet do nothing extra to earn that bonus. It's not the patrons fault the restaurant doesn't pay their workers more. If they want to charge more for their food and pay their workers more then a patron can then choose to go to that restaurant or not.

A tip is for services.

T - To

I - Insure

P - Prompt

S - Service

= Tips

I'm sure the 1% are getting sick and tired of the class warfare especially since they are the ones paying most of the taxes for the rest that don't pay any.

How about the rest of the 50% start paying federal taxes and back off from the 1% that are paying more than their share.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/cn...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com...

http://www.theblaze.com/stori...

A tip is for services.

T - To

I - Insure

P - Prompt

S - Service

= Tips

• Lady Wh... Hula gi... 2012/02/27 21:07:38
    +3
    "I'm sure the 1% are getting sick and tired of the class warfare especially since they are the ones paying most of the taxes for the rest that don't pay any...."

FINE.... YOU support your precious "1%" then... THE REST OF US DON'T WANT TO!
  • Hula gi... Lady Wh... 2012/02/27 21:32:05
    Hula girl - Friends not Followers
    +4
    Excuse me? The rest us us don't want to support the 1% that means you don't want 1/3 of all the income collected? Yep more than 47 Billion. So what part of that do you support? You mean the 50% that don't pay the taxes do you not support them?

Really? Did you take any basic math in school? Or are you just dumber than a box of rocks.

2014/07/25 13:48:13