Ball pits of death?????

Ihr Hase ~ Radix Libertas 2007/08/05 17:15:33
McDonalds, Chuck E Cheese, Discovery Zone... All places with
ball pits in the children's play area. One of my sons lost his watch,
and was very upset. We dug and dug in those balls, trying to find his
watch. Instead, we found vomit, food, feces, and other stuff I do not want to discuss.

I went to the manager and raised hell. Come to find out, the ball pit is only cleaned out once a month. I have doubts that it is even done that often.. My kids will never play in another ball pit.

Some of you might not be parents, but you may have nieces, nephews, grandchildren, or friends with children.

This will pertain to you too. As I read the following, my heart sank. I urge each and every one of you to pass this on to as many people as you can. I cannot stress how important this is!

Hi. My name is Lauren Archer, my son Kevin and I lived in Midland , TN.
On October 2nd, 1999 I took my only son to McDonald's for his 3rd birthday. After he finished lunch, I allowed him to play in the ball pit. When he started whining later on, I asked him what was wrong, he pointed to the back of his pull-up and simply said 'Mommy, it hurts.' I couldn't find anything wrong with him at that time. I bathed him when we got home, and it was at that point when I found a welt on his left buttock. Upon investigating, it seemed as if there was something like a splinter under the welt. I made an appointment to see the doctor the next day, but soon he started vomiting and shaking, then his eyes rolled back into his head. From there, we went to the emergency room. He died later that night. It turned out that the welt on his buttock was the tip of a hypodermic needle that had broken off inside. The autopsy revealed that Kevin had died from a heroine overdose. The next week, the police removed the balls from the ball pit. There was rotten food, several hypodermic needles: some full, some used; knives, half-eaten candy, diapers, feces, and the stench of urine.

(You can find the article on Kevin Archer in the October 10,1999 issue of the Midland Chronicle.)

Don't think it's just McDonald's either. A little boy had been playing
in a ball pit @ a Burger King & started complaining of his legs hurting. He later died too. He was found to have snake bites all over his legs & buttocks. When they cleaned the ball pit they found that there was a copperhead's nest in the ball pit. He had suffered numerous bites from a very poisonous snake.

AND FYI:

In Florida and other places on the East Coast a group of people are putting HIV/AIDS infected and filled needles underneath gas pump handles, so when someone reaches to pick it up and put gas in their car, they get stabbed with it. 16 people have been a victim of this crime so far and 10 tested HIV positive.

Was Anyone Else Aware of this? Whether or not your are aware of this I have no better way to say this but WHAT THE F&^K?!?!?!?!?!

• toni 2007/08/05 17:39:55
    toni
    +14
    Ok why is this NOT a top media story???? Oh thats right...they would rather talk about Paris Hilton. Maybe someone needs to file law suits against the mass media who call themselves "National News" but do not publish stories such as this that would protect our nation's children.

• Vetgirl101 2009/04/27 19:31:57
    Vetgirl101
    kids have suffacketed in ball pits
  • Blue Emerald 2009/01/16 05:31:30
    Blue Emerald
    Eew, think about the poop and condoms in those things! That would be death to me!
  • InsideItAll 2008/05/31 16:23:48 (edited)
    InsideItAll
    All very sick ... knives and needles in a children's public play area? Just disgusting; cruel. People sometimes scare me.

EDIT: Just found out from snopes.com that this isn't true. What the hell is wrong with Ihr Hase, or did he/she think it was true??
  • Ihr Has... InsideI... 2008/05/31 17:49:20
    Ihr Hase ~ Radix Libertas
    All myths have a shred of truth, I personally do not like ballpits, as they are in fact a nest of disease, and maintenance is nigh impossible to a sanitary level. I found this out when I worked for McDonalds and we cleaned out the ballpit, there was pieces of glass, vomit (much older than a couple weeks) and rotting food. I had worked there for 6 months when we cleaned it and quite frankly that was the first time I saw it cleaned, that was only because we were getting an inspection.

I used to live in New York, and in playgrounds, we would find broken glass, drug paraphenalia, used condoms and other things, the lesson of the fable is look before you let your kids go play...
  • InsideI... Ihr Has... 2008/05/31 19:58:46
    InsideItAll
    Oh, gross! I hope something can be done about that soon.

Oh my gosh ... I'd rather just buy a swinset or playset for my home and draw the line there.
  • Emily MCRmy [FTDM!!!!] 2008/05/05 22:31:02
    Emily MCRmy [FTDM!!!!]
    YEAH what the fuck! HOLY SHIT! That's DISGUSTING! I used to play in those! HORRIBLE! Someone needs to send this to a world news station!!!
  • Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum 2008/03/27 05:32:29
    Warren - Novus Ordo Seclorum
    Snopes.com has a link:

http://www.snopes.com/horrors...

Pure BS!
  • BoyOfTheEnders 2007/11/11 00:44:47
    BoyOfTheEnders
    +1
    This is an old story... from about 2 years ago. It's all done and over with now, ball pits are illegal in my state...hehe...funny huh?
  • InsideI... BoyOfTh... 2008/05/31 16:24:30
    InsideItAll
    +1
    Not really funny =/
  • BoyOfTh... InsideI... 2008/06/19 21:40:53
    BoyOfTheEnders
    mah! :P
  • c e l i s u l l i v a n. 2007/11/05 21:47:45
    c e l i s u l l i v a n.
    +1
    I never knew ball pits would be so dangerous... good thing I have never gone in one.
  • Foo Master Angie 2007/11/01 19:42:01
    Foo Master Angie
    +1
    I played in Chuck E Cheese ball pits every weekend, and I came out ok...for the most part...LOL...I'm sure kids pee in there and whatnot, but eh....we can't protect our kids from EVERYTHING....as for the needles under the gas pumps...I have no need to be concerned with that...I live in Jersey, where we don't have to pump our own gas.
  • Mike (the original sodahead... 2007/11/01 19:36:08
    Mike (the original sodahead 'Mike')
    +2
    Snopes.com

This is all b.s.
  • Ihr Has... Mike (t... 2007/11/01 19:37:14
    Ihr Hase ~ Radix Libertas
    +1
    It is lost somewhere.. It is a hoax as far as the needles and stuff.... it is a biological wasteland though...
  • Mike (t... Ihr Has... 2007/11/01 19:37:54
    Mike (the original sodahead 'Mike')
    +1
    no doubt.
  • ThatGirl 2007/11/01 18:15:11
    ThatGirl
    +2
    The above E-mail is a hoax... so is the needles under the gas handles... I live in Florida and never heard anything about that. None of that is true. It's all e-mail hoaxes, bad jokes, whatever u want to call them.
  • Ihr Has... ThatGirl 2007/11/01 18:19:25
    Ihr Hase ~ Radix Libertas
    +2
  • ThatGirl Ihr Has... 2007/11/01 18:25:14
    ThatGirl
    +2
    Yeah, I'm sure it's not the healthiest place to play, but I've never heard of children dying from playing in a ball pit. I'm sure it would get national, if not global media coverage if it did happen.
  • Ihr Has... ThatGirl 2007/11/01 18:28:19
    Ihr Hase ~ Radix Libertas
    +2
    Children have gotten mono from ball pits...
  • ThatGirl Ihr Has... 2007/11/01 18:32:13
    ThatGirl
    +2
    I can understand getting sick. Being that close to other kids, and coming in contact with drool, urine, vomit, etc. on the balls will get you sick, but not dead. I hope no child has or ever will die from playing in a ball pit, but if I had a kid, I wouldn't let them play in it anyway. Someone should invent an automatic cleaning system for the ball pits, so they can be cleaned on a daily basis. :o)
  • BoyOfTh... ThatGirl 2007/11/11 00:45:35
    BoyOfTheEnders
    +2
    I used to drown in them, IT SUCKED.....lol..
  • B4Real2Me 2007/11/01 18:13:43
    B4Real2Me
    Not only do I not like those pits but I'm not in favor of other public places like play grounds (especially sandboxes), public restrooms, shopping buggies, the seats in the movie theaters and other places. I don't go anywhere without taking hand santize solution and even a small bottle of Frebeze with me. I would rather be safe as oppose to being sorry.
  • Snowboarder 2007/11/01 18:03:19
    Snowboarder
    +1
    Seriously WTF, and WTF haven't I heard of this before. Good looking out. FU*K MCDONALDS
  • miathebee 2007/09/30 16:52:08
    miathebee
    +1
    omg this is flippin awful i cannot believe ther is such sick people out there like this........but the snake thing cant be real because how could a snake live in there it doesnt have any food or anything
  • Beatnik 2007/09/04 02:19:26
    Beatnik
    +2
    I've always had a disgust for these kinds of play things, but I never imagined that there could be so much deadly shit dwelling in the depths of the unseen. I never allow my children to play in these things, but I was always just afraid of a shitty diaper or something of the sort, i never imagined that there could be used works and shit in there too. What the f_ck is wrong with people?!?
  • Sara Beatnik 2007/09/04 19:53:53
    Sara
    +2
    aw you're such a good daddy
  • Beatnik Sara 2007/09/05 01:11:57
    Beatnik
    +2
    Thank you beautiful, but all I can do is try.
  • Mamma Roo 2007/08/26 19:15:51
    Mamma Roo
    +1
    Whether or not it is all true - the fact remains that it would be a nightmare to keep these places even reasonably clean. Not a place I would let my kids play.
  • Wicked (Holla Back Boy) 2007/08/16 05:23:43
    Wicked (Holla Back Boy)
    +1
    I could belive this happening, but I've never heard of it going on. I've heard of sick people doing some sick stuff.... but this is an extreme.
  • Alex Mac 2007/08/15 17:09:24
    Alex Mac
    +1
    Ridiculous. Yes, Ball pits ARE filthy. Germs from the hundreds of kids who play there daily. But when I was a child, I'd dig in the pits everywhere and I was safe. Urban myth. Hoax.
  • jc 2007/08/13 20:43:48
    jc
    +1
    It's another hoax or urban legends keeps getting better and better. If this incident did exist and is TRUE by any account, then the news media would have broke out this stuff a long time ago and businesses that have ball pit would have closed it off to the public. C'mon folks, use some common sense and figure this out on your own. It's so easy to get the public scared and paranoid over something that's not proven.
  • Ihr Has... jc 2007/08/13 20:53:20
    Ihr Hase ~ Radix Libertas
    +1
    It is fact a hoax, yes, as I commented below, but under futher investigation the sanitary property of these are deplorable at best, so needles no, but you could have your kids play in the toilet and they would be in a cleaner environment.
  • Tammy 2007/08/12 19:26:38
    Tammy
    When my kids were little, they used to love playing in there...until I noticed a diaper in the balls....told the manager and I never went back again! Kids played at the parks from that day on.
  • SpecialKrazyK! 2007/08/12 15:56:46
    SpecialKrazyK!
    +1
    they are so nasty..so nasty....I always made my kids keep their shoes on...gross...def..take that crap away! Great poll!
  • summer ♥ † John 3:16 † ♥ 2007/08/11 02:14:38
    summer ♥ † John 3:16 † ♥
    +3
    never heard of this i rather be safe than sorry tyvm 4 the info!!! i'm passing it on.
  • Jess 2007/08/08 23:27:06
    Jess
    +1
    Urban Legends strike again, check out the links in Trivia
  • Ihr Has... Jess 2007/08/09 00:00:37
    Ihr Hase ~ Radix Libertas
    +2
    I know, as I wrote in my comment after fully researching the subject, but also found that the sanitation leaves much to be desired as well...
  • Jess Ihr Has... 2007/08/09 00:05:12
    Jess
    +2
    I really have never been fond of having my kids in the ball pit....
    The sanitation issue is totally plausible
  • John 2007/08/07 17:33:42 (edited)
    John
    +1
    Wasn't aware...I would think that if this was true the would be making sure that things were being cleaned more often! I guess I'm confused why McDonalds wouldn't be closed down by government or MAJORLY fined where the media would love talking about it if there was much truth to it! It's possible that there is something that happened along those lines, but how often and what type of neighborhood was it in. I don't want to imagine what's in the ball pits but I doubt there is as much of a nightmare as people think! So who's responsible...McDonalds, the parents for neglect or what? For all we know the parents could have been shooting up and jabbed their kid to calm him down!
  • Ihr Has... John 2007/08/07 18:37:35
    Ihr Hase ~ Radix Libertas
    +1
    Cough Syrup is for sissies I put my kid to bed with a nice needle full of Heroin!!!!

does not sound so good that way does it?

2014/07/30 15:13:16