ATHIESTS: Why do you engage in debates with theists?

Magical 2012/08/03 22:36:51
What is the point of Atheists engaging in debates with theists? I have seen many such debates on these polls - whether it be Atheists vs. Christianity, Scientology, Judaism, etc. These debates go nowhere. The Atheists believe that all religion is bogus, myth and fantasy, and the religious believes otherwise. They go round and round in circles - often resorting to insults and name calling -- and to what end? For everyone to vent? I haven't seen any religious person swayed by any arguments presented by the Atheists or vice versa. So my question to the Atheists is - why bother? What is the point? What do you hope to achieve?

• Radical Ed 2012/08/04 08:01:42 (edited)
    Radical Ed
    I have seen many theists going around condemning anyone not of their belief as immoral, that they will be tortured for all eternity, that they believe in nothing and will just go out and rape someone. i engage with theists because of these reasons; if a religion can make them enjoy and relish the suffering of others - schadenfreude, torture porn - then there is a problem with either the religion or the people that believe.

• Razoreye001 2012/08/04 01:32:20
    Razoreye001
    1.) because believing in an imaginary friend that gives you an excuse for everything you do means you aren't responsible.

2.) religion is very dangerous to the human spirit, potential, and life. It is inherently a totalitarian ideal that keeps humanity in chains.
  • HarleyCharley 2012/08/04 00:33:02
    HarleyCharley
    I don,t know
  • L1 2012/08/04 00:11:38
    L1
    +1
    Good question: I'd say people want to be right and convince others of it. I commend you for posting both sides of this in the two different polls.
  • Magical L1 2012/08/06 20:32:04
    Magical
    +1
    Thank you! I'm glad you noticed that.
  • BattleBattlerBenji (PHAET) 2012/08/03 22:59:37
    BattleBattlerBenji (PHAET)
    What is the point in anything? Why not just curl up into a ball and die?
  • Jenna 2012/08/03 22:41:43
    Jenna
    What do jehova's witnesses hope to achieve by knocking on people's doors at annoying times?

2014/11/01 10:29:00