At What Class Level Should Tablets Be Allowed in Schools?

Is it just us or did summer swing by faster than usual this time around? With August just around the corner, "Back to School" is the thing on everyone's mind. Well, if you're a student, parent or teacher at least.

It's almost time to swap bathing suits for books. And while you don't have to complete any tests or do any homework quite yet, we think now's the optimal time to get your mind juices flowing with our quick, 8-Question "Back to School" Survey. Don't worry: No matter the answer, we'll give you an "A+" anyway.

Read More: http://www.sodahead.com/survey/featured/school-sur...

• Wyveryx 2012/07/30 05:52:43
    College
    Wyveryx
    +2
    I have the same thoughts about laptops. There is no need for them to be in High School or lower. Anything you can do with a laptop or tablet in school can either be done with...

Pencil and paper

or

ti 80

and even the calculator isn't need because you have this...

brain
  • Beat Ma... Wyveryx 2012/07/30 09:56:59
    Beat Magnum True Hero
    +1
    Their jobs won't be done with pencil and paper...
  • Wyveryx Beat Ma... 2012/07/31 09:28:28
    Wyveryx
    I still see a lot of jobs that require thought and the use of either pen or pencil and paper.
  • Sailor ... Wyveryx 2012/07/30 23:22:03
    Sailor Jerry [Proud Libertarian]
    what about those who prefer to not write? i used a laptop in high school because i don't like to write.
  • Wyveryx Sailor ... 2012/07/31 09:30:58
    Wyveryx
    writing is a skill, if you don't use it then it will worsen. Just because you don't like to write doesn't mean that you shouldn't.
    Schools in my area have even gotten rid of cursive writing and based on some of the results from some of the high school students i see, their print penmanship is lacking as well.
  • David Wyveryx 2012/07/31 13:05:52
    David
    Well, some folks have a brain that's not been effectively lobotomized by misuse by the age of 12, but the ratio of self-lobotomized to folks able to actually think seems to be skewing strongly to the self-lobotomized population in recent decades. *sigh*
  • Wyveryx David 2012/08/01 00:07:30
    Wyveryx
    I wholeheartedly agree. I remember back in grade school being able to get my hands on a calculator. My math teacher said no, as she did to her entire class, and when I took it home to use on my homework, my dad took it away. He told me if I can't do the math in my head I can't use the calculator.
    Same goes with spelling, actually had one my teachers have us take a test in pen. That way we couldn't erase our mistakes. It was amazing how many we made and thankfully we weren't graded on it.
  • David Wyveryx 2012/08/01 10:25:03
    David
    +1
    Back in the day... The old style "calculator"--the slide rule--was only allowed in chemistry and physics classes in high school AFTER one had passed the maths courses showing mastery of all the functions the slide rule emulated. Even then, I almost always found it faster to just do the maths in my head.
  • Luna Wren 2012/07/30 00:07:48
    Never!
    Luna Wren
    +1
    Get our attention some other way!
  • BlutandEhre 2012/07/29 14:29:35
    Middle School
    BlutandEhre
    +2
    I think as soon as kids can learn how to use them & take care of them, which should be around middle schule level.
  • Playerazzi 2012/07/29 08:37:30
    Never!
    Playerazzi
    +3
    We were required to use a slide rule in High School, and only allowed calculators in college, and then, only for the courses that really needed them.

It adversely affects the learning process.
  • Sammy 2012/07/29 05:13:29
    Never!
    Sammy
    +1
    If they get abunch of them for everyone to use they are going to get abused and if you have to get your own alot of parents couln't afford it.
  • no1ymfan 2012/07/29 03:32:58
    High School
    no1ymfan
    +2
    Elementary school? What are they gonna do? Color on it with crayons?
  • lorenab. 2012/07/29 02:10:01
    College
    lorenab.
    +2
    i would say college because we have laptops that we use in the classrooms at my high school and last year people were pulling off the keys to them! it was rediculous! i mean im not sayin that wouldnt happen in college... but its less likely seeing as you pay for yours instead of it just being free!:)
  • Ozymandias 2012/07/28 22:33:49
  • xcide13 2012/07/28 21:38:04
    Never!
    xcide13
    +2
    Why are they necessary? Just expensive toys to break. Being handy with a tablet is a fringe benefit to employment, much less education.
  • Tastentier 2012/07/28 21:29:47
    Middle School
    Tastentier
    +2
    I think kids should learn the basics first, i.e. handwriting and mental arithmetic. Middle school is still early enough to get used to modern technology.
  • Courtney Hammett 2012/07/28 19:25:49
    High School
    Courtney Hammett
    +2
    Research shows technology like TV and computers aren't good for young children.
  • Flannigan Courtne... 2012/07/29 05:09:02
    Flannigan
    +2
    But its not TV!
  • Flannigan 2012/07/28 17:12:46
    Elementary School
    Flannigan
    +1
    I think that tablets should be allowed in elementary schools and up! Because if you like it or not our futures involve a lot of electronics that we use in our every day life and we need to know how to use them properly to do good!! They are also transportable and very kid friendly!

Also (for example) I kids were allowed to have kindle fires, iPads, nooks, or Samsung galaxy tablets they could do classwork, take notes, if younger play mind enriching games, and even read books! Now a days you can borrow books from the library on your e- reader tablet so books don't have to cost money! No more losing notes or classwork that comes on paper(save the trees)!

Since some tablets offer apps(kindle fire, galaxy, ipad, nook color) kids could express creativity on apps like doodle buddy and many other games that you doodle!I think self expression is very important in a good self esteem! Teachers could discipline kids for using apps improperly(using them when their not supposed to, on doodle buddy drawing inappropriate pictures, or using apps as a distraction)! Not the end of the world folks! I'm sure teachers and parents can handle it!

Next since tablets can use WiFi kids could do research!

Kids could also become more organized, because being able to see things orga...

Kids could also become more organized, because being able to see things organized on their tablet makes kids able to group and label things better! What people aren't remembering is that tablets ARE NOT just for games! They can be used for many mind enriching things(if you know how to use them too)! So give tablets a chance, you might find that you like them! Thanks for hearing me out!
  • yoana 2012/07/28 16:42:02
    Never!
    yoana
    +2
    most of the kinds nowdays have a terrible handwriting
  • Seeker of Truth - War Wizard 2012/07/28 15:13:30
    Elementary School
    Seeker of Truth - War Wizard
    +2
    My 4 year old has been using my wife's android phone for over 2 years, and can competently use her android tablet that she got for xmas. To not introduce students to current technology at an early age puts them at a disadvantage later.
  • Rob 2012/07/28 15:11:55
    Elementary School
    Rob
    +2
    As soon as they know enough not to chew on the tablet, they should begin learning from them.
  • LunarRain 2012/07/28 04:35:37
    Never!
    LunarRain
    +1
    I hate doing computer work I always forget about it and you can't share papers.
  • MOMMA THOMAS 2012/07/28 04:04:55
    Elementary School
    MOMMA THOMAS
    +3
    THEY'RE USING THEM IN MY GRANDKIDS' ELEMENTARY SCHOOL...
  • GLaDOS 2012/07/28 02:54:26
    High School
    GLaDOS
    +2
    Even then I'd be hesitant. Paper and pencil works better for taking notes. Yes, it requires a notebook, but at least a notebook can't crash, or BSOD on you.
  • mae 2012/07/28 02:25:24
    Elementary School
    mae
    +2
    Whether I like it or not, these are showing up more and more in public elementary schools. Instructors seem to have mixed reactions to them, but still, there they are. I own a laptop and no tablet, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, or any of that techie stuff. I guess 'Grammie and Grampie' will have some catching up to do.
  • Manster mae 2012/07/29 14:51:23 (edited)
    Manster
    +2
    My twin grandsons,who are now six,have been adept at using tech devices since the age of three,I can hand either of them my Android powered cell phone and only look on in amazement as they deftly manipulate things on the screen,as they go out to download games and apps that they use on their X Box and PS3,or their parents ipods and phones! So don't feel bad about having them teach you. I enjoy my "training/learning sessions" that I get to share with my grandkids, and I'm sure that you will feel the same way too! :-)
  • mae Manster 2012/08/01 02:32:27
    mae
    +2
    Thank you for the encouraging words. I'm feeling a little left behind and hope my grandchild won't mind teaching Grammie and Grampie.
  • Manster mae 2012/08/01 16:51:10
    Manster
    +2
    You're welcome.I'm sure they will love the "tech training sessions" just as much as Grammie and Grampie! Don't be afraid to ask them questions,like how did you do that? and Why do you do that? as you concentrate on what they're doing.Children are natural teachers, and they love to help others.
  • mae Manster 2012/08/02 19:12:45
    mae
    +1
    Thanks, Manster!
  • skroehr 2012/07/28 02:14:08
    Never!
    skroehr
    +2
    *(unless they're provided by the school via third party donation, and not bought with taxes, and only used for school assignments and they're monitored by the teachers.)
  • mae skroehr 2012/07/28 02:30:18
    mae
    +1
    That's exactly how it's being done. Who is supposed to teach us how to work this thing?
  • skroehr mae 2012/07/28 02:32:08
    skroehr
    +1
    Okay....then we're all good. Thanks.
  • Pookie 2012/07/28 01:40:06
  • sally 2012/07/28 01:03:12
    College
    sally
    +3
    I still wouldn't want to use one. I had to use an online text book for one of my classes last year and it was a pain to sort through the pages and then get tired of staring at a screen for so long. I like having the books in front of me.
  • Kigan 2012/07/28 00:55:53
    College
    Kigan
    +2
    They are not necessary in grade schools and teachers have a hard enough time getting students off their cell phones as it is. Laptops and Tablets are not realistic for use in grade school - students can and will find a way to play games, browse the internet, etc. and making these devices standard or even required only makes it easier. Students don't need more distractions.

And it should go without saying: Laptops are far more functional if you must insist on including unnecessary technology.

Once in college, if you aren't paying attention that (and your failure) is all on you.
  • Oli 2012/07/28 00:50:55
    Never!
    Oli
  • Gina 2012/07/28 00:50:07
    College
    Gina
    +2
    Don't need them for regular classes, in college is when the important stuff begins, and organization is at it's most important level.
  • Vic F 2012/07/28 00:39:25
    Never!
    Vic F
    +1
    Tablets are useless.

I am all for laptops or desktops.

What the F is so good about a tablet?

Nobody has ever convinced me they were of any use.

2014/11/01 01:29:36