At what age should children start washing their own clothes and washing dishes. Along with other household duties. And should this be a labor of love or awarded with an allowance.

Gumby 2007/04/03 15:03:09

When they are old enough to read and reach the dials on the washing machine
    I always had chores as a kid.
  • icymore 2009/08/11 08:40:17
    icymore
    it teaches them responsibility, independence (which boosts confidence), and that you are not their slave.
  • booksdoc 2009/04/08 18:02:52
    booksdoc
    My children started washing dishes at age 9 with help and supervision; they started doing their personal laundry at 13 and if they wanted to earn extra money over and above there allowance could do so by doing some of the family generated laundry such as linens and towels. They have all grown up to be proficient in these tasks and tell us that we gave them a very important gift in teaching a modeling a strong work ethic. It makes us proud!
  • cutieli... booksdoc 2013/04/06 12:49:48
    cutielizzard
    +3
    I am so glad you said that when I was married and added 3 more children to the 2 I already had I simply could not do all the housework and work full time. My husband informed me that his children could do dishes and laundry. From that day on I started teaching my own at 4 and 5 and letting the big kids teach them as well. Now they are 7 and 8 and are doing great with it. The one step son who does not live with us came in today and said Idk why ur mom makes you do dishes kids r not supposed to do dishes.he is 8 years old however he can not do any of the chores my kids can.
  • sky blue pink - American 2009/03/10 10:39:45
    sky blue pink - American
    My kids started washing the clothes when they were both 14.
  • Trying_2_keep_it_clean 2007/10/01 10:22:51
    Never, they have enough to worry about with school, sports, and social gather...
    Trying_2_keep_it_clean
    When they need to start. However, in saying that, children do need to 'learn' how to keep things 'clean'.
  • cutieli... Trying_... 2013/04/06 12:52:29
    cutielizzard
    +1
    I would like to know when will they learn how to do it. It is not good to move out and still not know how to essential household chores. Just a question thats all hoping i am doing things right.
  • TiffanyBelle 2007/08/08 19:59:47
    TiffanyBelle
    depends on the amount of things on their plate already.
    I feel that pitching in w/ household chores is gr8 but not in place of homework/studying/piano practicing time.
    I usually multi-task and do laundry when I'm already doing other things... like waiting for water to boil when cooking or waiting for something to finish baking.
    Allowance should be (IMHO) for extra chores: car washing, bathroom cleaning, lawn mowing, etc.... and only given when there's NO ATTITUDE while doing it.
  • Chozn4u 2007/06/07 18:50:52
    Chozn4u
    Between 10-13 is good enough time for my kids.
  • byebye ,I love you,gotta go 2007/06/07 01:49:20
    byebye ,I love you,gotta go
    +1
    MY GRANDDAUGHTER IS 10 AND SHE DOES A LITTLE HERE AND THER BUT ENJYS IT BECAUSE I DON'T MAKE IT OVERWHELMING FOR HR
  • tmr 2007/06/01 18:26:31
    tmr
    Every child -male or female -should be taught at an early age (9 - 10) to cook, clean and do the laundry as well as how to care for a yard, car, garage, etc.
  • John 2007/06/01 16:56:04
    As soon as they ask, did you wash my socks?
    John
    I was washing clothes in about 6th or 7th Grade on occasion, with a family of 6 my mom usually knew her place and was in the kitchen so I on occasion would help with laundry!
  • tmr John 2007/06/01 18:23:45
    tmr
    Your mom KNEW HER PLACE!!!!! You wear the clothes, you have to eat. Where is your place?
  • John tmr 2007/06/05 20:29:07
    John
    At this point single in Iowa ;) Darn I wish my mom still knew her place and did my laundry and cooked my dinner HAHA!!!
  • anna 2007/05/27 01:25:22
    anna
    Not sure about this one. I have a 12 year old boy, at some point he will learn and do it, but not anytime soon. It is important for them to learn self reliance and be independent. Probably when he starts driving maybe, 16 or so.
  • booksdoc anna 2009/04/08 18:07:34
    booksdoc
    Have you ever watched the TLC show "Little People Big World"? It's an excellent example of what happens in a family where children aren't expected to do chores regularly. That place is so trashed most of the time I don't see where people get off saying the Octoplet Mother should lose her kids because of a dirty house! Spoil the kids and let them think its all Mom's place to do the work.
  • kellley 2007/05/25 22:11:56 (edited)
    kellley
    I could do my own laundry at a young age. If I didn't do this or vacuum I did not get my allowance.Nor did I get apid for cleaning or keeping my room clean.
  • Tammy 2007/04/23 20:49:22 (edited)
    Tammy
    I believe that the whole family should pitch in and help with the house cleaning. They don't think so...but I do!! So, I try to make it fun (as fun as cleaning can be) and turn up the radio and make it a race. Or, if we are watching a TV show, it is agreed that at commercials, we rush around doing as much as we can, then we meet back on the couch when the commercials are over!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
  • Brit 2007/04/22 03:51:11
    Brit
    I had these as chores and didn't get an allowance. If I needed money I could do extra things (weeding the garden, etc.). I remember washing dishes in 3rd grade.
  • Tom 2007/04/21 21:35:43
    Tom
    Thats the best way to get them to either assist of accept responsibility.
  • e 2007/04/19 20:28:33
    e
    When they're old enough to do the chores without making more of a mess.
  • anna e 2007/05/27 01:26:10
    anna
    ABSOLUTELY!
  • True~Male 2007/04/16 04:34:59
    True~Male
    +1
    I was taught how to wash clothes at age 12
  • John 2007/04/12 01:16:43
    John
    Kids need to learn how to take care of their own belongings...
  • Magzilla 2007/04/10 00:18:31
    Magzilla
    I think they should help out with choars at an early age, I know all of my neices and neiphews wanted to help out at about the age two, I think it should be encouraged then and it should be awarded some how.
  • Danale 2007/04/07 06:46:34
    Danale
    I have tried to make it fun for my little ones to help out and how it is important to keep the house tidy as a team. Otherwise mommy will go on strike. :)
  • Judy 2007/04/07 01:26:08
    Judy
    Household tasks should be encouraged with a "let's do it together"
    during the early years when children seek to mimic their parents. Then
    as they mature, expected as a fact of living and working together as a
    family. Allowances are a separate issue because it helps a child learn
    to budget and manage money as a lifelong habit. I believe that rewards
    for good grades or non-standard tasks are similar to raises/bonuses in
    the work world and that's a good thing.
  • corey 2007/04/06 21:26:55
    corey
    As a father of two I know how hard it is to get the kids packed and off to different events, keeping up with house work, and working. As soon as they are able to do choirs with out making a bigger mess than before, then they should be put to work. It teaches them responsibility as well.
  • Jennifre 2007/04/06 00:12:59
    Jennifre
    Get to work -bunch of freeloaders!
  • Tyler 2007/04/05 22:52:54
    Tyler
    =D
  • oy 2007/04/05 22:33:16
    oy
    as soon as theyre able to; but it should be seen as a good thing rather than a punishment
  • Mamma Roo 2007/04/05 19:11:03
    Mamma Roo
    +1
    Chances are at this point they are going through a LOT of socks and it is time to give mom a break.

They should get an allowance for chores done around the house, and they should have to buy their own treats etc using that allowance. It teaches them that there is a value for labour as well as a value for 'things'. They may respect their stuff a little more, *sigh ... I can dream can't I?
  • Fef 2007/04/05 05:04:20
    Fef
    +1
    Teach kids early so they see it as fun and not a chore. Playing with machines at an early age makes it exciting, not labor. This means you don't have to give them an allowance ;)
  • Pinky 2007/04/04 16:37:19
    Pinky
    Definitely around high school. When they go to college and live in a dorm... they better do their own laundry. If they bring back clothes for me to wash... i will throw it in the trash
  • Scott 2007/04/04 04:43:00
    Scott
    +2
    I think i hear my mom calling me?
  • Daryl 2007/04/03 20:49:44
    Daryl
    +1
    As soon as their neck muscles can support their heads.
  • Jenni 2007/04/03 18:42:35
    Jenni
    As soon as they are capable of doing it. We starting helping my mom with different household chores at the age of 2. That included handing her dirty laundry to put into the machine and helping to fold wash clothes. It teaches you hard work and spatial skills as a young child. You are part of the family and work with them as a team member.
  • Arbutus Punch 2007/04/03 18:39:41
    Arbutus Punch
    +1
    They should participate in the running of a home.
  • James Alex 2007/04/03 17:44:53
    James Alex
    It teaches them responsibility and how to eventually take care of themselves when they grow up
  • OMG itz IRENE 2007/04/03 15:17:18
    OMG itz IRENE
    I think this depends on the household, but I think this should be gradual, starting at age 6 or so with light/cooperative stuff.

2014/11/25 22:04:26