At what age or school grade level do children start to have difficulty making new friends?

knowerseeker 2010/03/19 20:57:33
Hi, I'm looking for educated/experienced opinions on at what age or school grade level most children start to have trouble making new friends in a new town. I'm trying to judge how many years I have left to possibly move my family around (for the sake of job promotions) before I need to settle for the sake of my two sons. I want them to grow up in one place so that they can make and keep good friends. My family moved around a lot (they were forced to because my father kept being laid off), and I was always "the new boy" in school, shunned and sometimes picked on, and unable to make friends. I don't want my kids to have to deal with that, yet I would like to know just how much freedom I have to relocate for the sake of increased pay.

• Savtwocents 2010/03/21 19:35:33
    Savtwocents
    +3
    For myself, I have moved more than 18 times by my senior year of high school. As a result of that I found making friends was a very easy thing to do at any age. But because I moved so much I have developed several detachment complications. I find it very easy to just up and move, without having trouble to say goodbye to people I was friends with. The better part of moving so much, was that my family became very close and we shared so many great experiences. Another good point was that I focused more on academics than trying to make friends. I have benefited greatly because of that, as well did my siblings. Also for myself and my other siblings we have matured a great deal faster than most of the people I have meet at a young age. If you are going to move, than I would say go for it. Just make sure you and your family do stuff with each other when you first move and be there for your children if they need to talk. I hope I helped.

• Natalie 2010/08/12 18:56:49
    Natalie
    +1
    Well, I think that my friends I grew farther away when we went in to middle school. I think it would also be high school ninth grade probably too.
  • knowers... Natalie 2010/08/12 19:05:08
    knowerseeker
    Yeah, I think most people would agree on that. Thanks for the reply.
  • Savtwocents 2010/03/21 19:35:33
    Savtwocents
    +3
  • knowers... Savtwoc... 2010/03/30 21:30:35
    knowerseeker
    Sounds like good advice; thank you. Maybe it depends more on *where* you move to. Did you always move from city to city, or did you live in small towns sometimes too? I mostly moved from small town to small town.
  • knowerseeker 2010/03/19 21:12:39
    knowerseeker
    The first time I started having trouble making friends because of moving too much was in either the 4th or 5th grade. (It's a bit fuzzy.) However, I do not know if it could have started before then if my family had moved sooner.
  • ctrlzmankind 2010/03/19 21:06:05
    ctrlzmankind
    +1
    I would say before high school or mid-middle school.
    By then, everyone has already differentiated into groups and such.

2014/11/01 06:58:26