At what age does a woman's menstrual cycle stop for good?

Roxi 2008/08/21 05:03:56
I am 52 and most women my age have gone through menopause already and their periods have stopped. I still get a period every 3 months. Is this normal?

• desiree.isaryk 2013/07/10 01:59:43
    desiree.isaryk
    I'm 30 and my period stop all of a sudden about two years ago and don't know why. I went to the OBGYN not to long ago and he said I'm not going thru menopause, I thought I was cause I heard the women in my family go thru it in there 30's. So Doc said I'm not but why did it stop for some reason. Scared and don't know next step since OBGYN said it's not that. Does anyone have any advice for me?
  • bertha.beck1 2012/09/28 18:33:55
    bertha.beck1
    yes i to still have period at age53 it comes every three months or when every it decid to . is everything alright with me or is that normal thimg
  • lexie bertha.... 2014/05/07 09:15:08
    lexie
    +3
    I'm 57 and stopped having my period at 52. Now the last 4 months I'm having one every 28 days again. I'm so tired of this,
  • Linda 2012/05/01 04:00:13
    Linda
    I am 55 1/2 and am still having regular periods every 28 days. I go to the Dr. for a check-up every year, have yearly mammograms, I even had a uterine Ablation 3 years ago because I was bleeding so heavily. My Dr. told me I would probably never have another period after the procedure, wrong. 28 days later, Bam! But they were lighter. That was over 3 years ago. I keep hoping I won't have my period any more, but alas there it is to greet me every 28 days. The only menopausal symptoms I get are about 5 days before my cycle begins. I sweat at night while I sleep, and I bloat. My mood is always pretty good, I try to accept things graciously. So who else out there is still having periods like me. All of my friends have stopped having menstrual periods. I feel like having a hysterectomy to solve the problem, but I don't want to have surgery if I really don't need it.
  • ANNIE W... Linda 2012/05/04 13:10:33
    ANNIE WOODS
    +2
    I am 55 going into 56 and my period is on time every month. My doctor said that it is fine. I am tired too.
  • anne 2012/01/10 21:25:29
    anne
    why do you get so tired and find things you did before no problem harder to do ?
  • ravi 2011/10/14 17:28:30
    ravi
    dsfdhfdhfdg
  • Min Carter ravi 2013/08/15 18:49:12
    Min Carter
    Please reply in English.
  • clarissa 2011/08/13 20:18:14
    clarissa
    I just turned 52 this august and got my cycle 6 days after my bday after not having one for 4 months it was painful and very heavy. My mon stopped at age 50 did not have hot flashes or mood swings. My sister stopped around the same age as my mom, but had mood swings and off and on cycles. She is now 68 and no cycle but still having hot flashes. I have some mild flashes but not often. At age 52 I HOPE and PRAY this is the last one.
  • barrelr... clarissa 2011/10/07 17:08:00
    barrelracer
    +2
    I'm 53 and still have a cycle every month on time!!!! Ugh!!! Not heavy same as when I was in my 20s . My doctor has been telling me I would go thru the change any time sense I was in my early 40s !!! Yeah he says he shocked by it to!!!
  • Bara barrelr... 2011/11/16 09:47:08
    Bara
    +1
    I'm 53 and have gotton my period like every month since I was 12. on

this year on my birthday (11/11/11) I noticed I got my period but it stopped. not even enough to put a pad on. maybe this is the end
  • Rajwatie clarissa 2012/04/24 17:16:10
    Rajwatie
    +2
    I will turn 54 in the next 3 months and I have my period normal as any 12 year old. My mom and sister stopped at 50 with no problems, how much longer do I have to go?.
  • Megagenie 2009/06/13 22:45:19
    Megagenie
    I am young and still experience periods. How does the menopause works? Does your period really end when you're in your fifties?
  • NICKI70 2009/01/21 03:59:23
    NICKI70
    I went though menopause very early at 30 and for about 2 years before mine stopped I had only gotten a period every couple of months. I am 38 and have not gotten it for years...Some months my boobs still hurt but the docs say it is because of my age..GOOO LUCK
  • Min Carter 2009/01/16 17:42:39
    Min Carter
    Yes, it is normal. Menopause varies from woman to woman. I have a friend who began at 35! My sister didn't begin until 58!
  • chocolate Min Carter 2012/08/01 10:09:37
    chocolate
    +2
    am 40 mine stopped last year i went to the doctor and she told me it is change of hormones is it true
  • . . . . 2009/01/16 08:35:04 (edited)
  • . . . . . . . . 2009/01/16 08:36:12 (edited)
  • Spider20 2009/01/16 08:29:20
    Spider20
    Being a guy, all I can say for sure is after the big "H"...........no offense intended to anyone....
  • NZArkie08: In God We Trust. 2009/01/16 07:06:53
    NZArkie08:  In God We Trust.
    +1
    Mine started dwindling, at 50, then one every 3 monthes or so, and then nothing after 52. I am thrilled! LOL! It is all over now!
  • Candi~playin 2009/01/16 04:06:31
    Candi~playin
    +1
    K, my gyn said it is different for every women however your mother plays a significant role we normally go threw it around the same age as they did. However you go into priemenopause around 35 which last normally 10-15 years. You can find more infor. on Med.com However medical procedures can also play a part. Your are not menopausal until you have been w/o mensuration for one year.

Hope it helps! I would say you are normal tho I have quit a ways to go myself!
    Good luck.
  • steph ♥ 2009/01/16 02:11:10
    steph ♥
    +1
    I didn't know this. Thanks for the info. I'm not old enough to give you any advice though, sorry.
  • None of the above
    MIZ®  ₱д₸Ɽ¡Ö₸ ₩дⱤⱤ¡ÖⱤ   †
    +2
    I would like to know the same thing! I'm 41 and am wondering if I'm almost there or what because I want it to be over, and right now it's every 3 weeks!! :-o
  • NZArkie... MIZ® ₱... 2009/01/16 07:08:52
    NZArkie08:  In God We Trust.
    +2
    You have a few years to go, Miz! You should stop once you are at least 50, or over! It might start at 49, but I think that would be quite early.
  • MIZ® ₱... NZArkie... 2009/01/16 15:53:04
    MIZ®  ₱д₸Ɽ¡Ö₸ ₩дⱤⱤ¡ÖⱤ   †
    +2
    noooooooooooses!!
    well at least you made me feel young for a couple minutes though.... ;o) Thanks!

noooooooooooses feel young couple minutes
  • NZArkie... MIZ® ₱... 2009/01/16 17:34:28
    NZArkie08:  In God We Trust.
    +1

You are still YOUNG!! baby sister!! :o) LOL
  • MIZ® ₱... NZArkie... 2009/01/17 08:45:43
    MIZ®  ₱д₸Ɽ¡Ö₸ ₩дⱤⱤ¡ÖⱤ   †
    +1
    WoW those are some pretty flowers!!
    wow pretty flowers
    Okay- but if you ever see me doing this.......slap me heheh j/k
  • NZArkie... MIZ® ₱... 2009/01/18 03:39:03
    NZArkie08:  In God We Trust.
    +1
    No, I just couldn't slap you for anything, sweetie! :o) hehehe! LOL! :o)
  • MIZ® ₱... NZArkie... 2009/01/18 06:58:58
    MIZ®  ₱д₸Ɽ¡Ö₸ ₩дⱤⱤ¡ÖⱤ   †
    hey - did you see this?
    jerk doesn't have a life if he isn't attacking someone haha
    ....I feel kinda sorry for him in a way :*(
    http://www.sodahead.com/quest...
  • NZArkie... MIZ® ₱... 2009/01/18 07:06:11
    NZArkie08:  In God We Trust.
    +1
    No, I will take a look at it! :o)
  • MIZ® ₱... NZArkie... 2009/01/18 06:59:36
    MIZ®  ₱д₸Ɽ¡Ö₸ ₩дⱤⱤ¡ÖⱤ   †
    +1
    oh yeah and ty ;o)
    yeah ty
  • NZArkie... MIZ® ₱... 2009/01/18 07:05:37
  • Roxi MIZ® ₱... 2009/01/18 01:19:47 (edited)
    Roxi
    +2
    I think you have a ways to go yet. However, you are at an age when irregular periods can start. I started getting hot flashes and periods that lasted 2-3 weeks or 2-3 days when I was about 46. The periods started to actually skip about a year ago then started to come every three months. However, yippeee! I will be 53 this year and so far it's been five months since my last period and I am crossing my fingers that its over for good! Once a women does not get a period for 1 full year then she is considered in menopause. But, Miz, be careful what you wish for, menopause is no day at the beach--especially in the beginning. In the beginning, when my periods started to skip I felt like I was in a perpetual state of PMDD! I suffered from all over body aches for which I had to take painkillers before I could get out of bed. Add to that, food cravings, annoying hot flashes and night sweats that kept waking me up at night, irritability, lack of concentration, absent mindedness and feeling like you're on an emotional roller coaster (feeling suicidal or homicidal--good thing I don't own a gun!), vaginal dryness and lack of a sex drive--believe me, menopause has its drawbacks! One good thing I can say, some of the worst symptoms have passed and I read that once the period stops f...'''''''''
    I think you have a ways to go yet. However, you are at an age when irregular periods can start. I started getting hot flashes and periods that lasted 2-3 weeks or 2-3 days when I was about 46. The periods started to actually skip about a year ago then started to come every three months. However, yippeee! I will be 53 this year and so far it's been five months since my last period and I am crossing my fingers that its over for good! Once a women does not get a period for 1 full year then she is considered in menopause. But, Miz, be careful what you wish for, menopause is no day at the beach--especially in the beginning. In the beginning, when my periods started to skip I felt like I was in a perpetual state of PMDD! I suffered from all over body aches for which I had to take painkillers before I could get out of bed. Add to that, food cravings, annoying hot flashes and night sweats that kept waking me up at night, irritability, lack of concentration, absent mindedness and feeling like you're on an emotional roller coaster (feeling suicidal or homicidal--good thing I don't own a gun!), vaginal dryness and lack of a sex drive--believe me, menopause has its drawbacks! One good thing I can say, some of the worst symptoms have passed and I read that once the period stops for good and the hormones get back in synch the other unpleasant symptoms go away as well--that takes some women months or years! My doctor suggested I go on HRT but I said no. That stuff is dangerous and very hard on the body. It can cause cancer, stroke, heart attack and God knows what else--NO thank you! HRT can kill you, menopause won't (although sometimes you may feel like you're dying or going crazy!) Menopause is a normal, natural process and its best to go through it naturally like women have been doing for centuries. Alot of it is attitude. I've chosen to embrace this new time in my life with gusto. I'm not getting older I'm getting better! Compared to bleeding, PMDD and doubling over in pain every months from cramps (I suffered terribly), I'll take menopause anytime! So hang in there and don't rush it you'll get there soon enough! ooopps! did I write a book and go on and on and on? Sorry, I've had some wine and when I drink I tend to get long-winded! LOL. Take care!
  • MIZ® ₱... Roxi 2009/01/18 07:06:25
    MIZ®  ₱д₸Ɽ¡Ö₸ ₩дⱤⱤ¡ÖⱤ   †
    LMAO!! You are a funny one- but a nice one ;o)

Well, I already have these symptoms 'body aches for which I had to take painkillers before I could get out of bed. Add to that, food cravings, annoying hot flashes and night sweats that kept waking me up at night, irritability, lack of concentration, absent mindedness and feeling like you're on an emotional roller coaster (feeling suicidal or homicidal--good thing I don't own a gun!), vaginal dryness and lack of a sex drive-'
    LOL - but yeah, my periods are so bad (fibroid tumors) have gotten somewhat better though the last few times.......and my doc has me on pain killers for my head which seems to be taking care of my cramps (I started my period today with no cramps so far!?) so I'm thinking it's no doubt those new pain killers.
    Yes you did write a book, but so did I to you on the med. tran. school info so you got me back ;o) hehe j/k- actually I appreciate the time you took to tell me that. I did not know all of that- especially about the HRT - didn't realize that was bad for you... : (
    That's a bummer.
    Hope you're having a nice weekend ~ tran school info hehe jk- hrt realize bummer hope weekend
  • mzgee8865 Roxi 2012/02/25 14:45:27
    mzgee8865
    +2
    Although you wrote a book, I was very anxious to read it. Thanks for the insightful info. I am 46 and my cycle is non existent every 4th month. I don't understand it but, as long as I'm not getting the pain and discomfort I am ok with it. Looking forward to the day my cycle ends for good....
  • libra lady MIZ® ₱... 2013/12/02 05:20:05
    libra lady
    +3
    I don't blame you periods get on every woman nerves.
  • Seonag 2008/08/21 13:01:52
    Seonag
    +2
    Each person is an individual. There are some genetic factors involved. Unfortunately, often our mothers, grandmothers and aunts usually didn't talk about it. Some women pass through the change quickly with few side-effects - hot flashes and mood swings, in particular. Others take years before menses stops completely (4 1/2 years for me) and with severe side effect (constantly going through hot flashes at the most inopportune time and going off the deep end over the smallest thing). If you are concerned, see your gynecologist (which you should be doing anyway on an annual basis).
  • meowomon 2008/08/21 06:20:59
    meowomon
    This can happen for a while. I am 46 and can totally relate. You only have a period every few months, but what a doozy that damned period is!
  • Change Happens 2008/08/21 05:16:17
    Change Happens
    +1
    Herself is 55...and still has one NASTY one about every 3 or 4 months. I've known women as young as 40 who have stopped altogether though.
  • Tony Adams Change ... 2012/04/07 03:17:46
    Tony Adams
    +2
    What an idiot reply!!!

2014/07/29 02:33:52