As I was just petting my beloved dachshund and thinking about how beautiful he is, this question popped into my head: For the owners of purebred dogs, if you have them registered with the AKC what is their AKC name and why did you choose it?

artist1963-Progressive Patriot for Change 2009/09/30 03:38:28
Since I have a black and tan smooth dachshund and dahcshund means "badgerdog" in German, I registered him as Wilhelm Irwin Rommel so I could call him Willie for short and the other part being the name of my favorite German General from WWII, Irwin Rommel, The "Desert Fox". I LOVE my dog!!!

• bdb 2009/09/30 06:25:58
    bdb
    +4
    We also had a regitered stanard dachshund. She was the red/brown. It was a gift for our daughter and she named her Sugar Bear. We also a mutt that was 1/2 basset and 1/2 chow chow. Boxing Gloves. Gloves weighed 75 pounds and loved to play tug a war with his chew rope.
    Gloves was 5 when we got Suger Bear who was 3 months old. One of the first things Gloves did was take his rope to Suger Bear. Sugar grabed end of the rope and Gloves slung her across the floor! They had a blst together and Sugar became a very muscular pup with all the tug a wars she had with Gloves. ANd their mutal best friend was Baby Kitty. She would go up to them when they were sleeping together and squeeze herself in between them. I swear they looked like a cat sandwich. LMAO! Gloves and Sugar are now at Rainbow Bridge. Baby Kitty is Still with and is 17 1/2 years old now.

• Tsisquaya 2009/09/30 20:44:30
    Tsisquaya
    +1
    All the pure bred dogs I have owned had names already given to them from the breeder. Weird names too like "Roni von Heide" and stuff like that. I just gave them names that were easy to say and easy to spell like Shelby or something. lol
  • artist1... Tsisquaya 2009/09/30 21:35:37
    artist1963-Progressive Patriot for Change
    +1
    I know that breeders will commonly do that, especially if they have a champion lineage to keep their name in the flow. That seems to be the standard for show dogs anyway as I watch the dog shows on TV and try and catch the big one in Green Bay every spring.
  • Tsisquaya artist1... 2009/10/01 03:52:16
    Tsisquaya
    +1
    Oh I see! I never really understood that whole thing anyways but then again, never thought too much of it. As soon as I got the puppies home, we just nicknamed them anyways, ya know?
    How ya been artist? You been doing okay lately?
  • kalynn 2009/09/30 20:00:10
    kalynn
    +1
    My samoyed is Divinity's Ste. Catherine of White Rose
    and my golden is Tedrik's Rachmaninov of A'Dale
  • artist1... kalynn 2009/09/30 21:22:37
    My husband had a Samoyed before I met him-Beautiful dogs!!!
    Very distinguished names-So regal.
  • Lunacat 2009/09/30 14:57:54
    Lunacat
    +1
    I have 2 dogs registered. My Sheltie, Frisco, his registered name is Francisco's Freedom. Kind of a tribute to San Fran. My Havanese, Parker, came from Oklahoma and his registered name is Parker's Tulsa Twister because I got him during tornado season.
  • artist1... Lunacat 2009/09/30 14:58:55
    +1
    Cool!!
  • bdb 2009/09/30 06:25:58
    bdb
    +4
  • artist1... bdb 2009/09/30 09:37:15
  • bdb artist1... 2009/09/30 18:25:41
  • artist1... bdb 2009/09/30 21:30:13
    +1
    Well thank you dear!!! I need a "pick-me-up" right now. Because my husband is forced to work O-T AGAIN this Friday, he works night-shift, and vacation days left, our anniversary plans for dinner at our favorite restaurant and a hotel are in the crapper. If he refuses, it's an unexcused absence and he'll get written up or in the worst case scenario, fired so it's THEIR way or the highway.
    This is not the first time something we wanted to do was thwarted because of this.
  • bdb artist1... 2009/10/01 05:06:47
    bdb
    +1
    I am so sorry that is happening! Ain't that some shit!
  • artist1... bdb 2009/10/01 05:27:29
    +1
    Thanks-This is the first time we have not been able to do our anniversary thing and I am bumming big time. I don't think I've smiled all day.
  • bdb artist1... 2009/10/01 05:41:28
    bdb
    Ok, let me give you some off the wall information. My husband and I remembered our first 4 or 5 aniiversaries. After that we would remember 2 or 3 weeks ahead of time, make plans, etc. Then 2 weeks after our anniversary passed, we would look at each other and say "Well Damnit! That went on until our 20th annivesary. Then we went back to our honeymoon spot, San Fransico, and we have remembered all of them since then. But we forgot for 15 or 16 years!
    But yet with our birthdays right next to each other we never have forgotten those. Mine Sept 23, his Sept 24. LMAO!
  • Doreen 2009/09/30 05:15:55
    Doreen
    +1
    I named mine German names because they are German Shepherds. I have their first names that I picked then the middle name from their fathers and last name from the kennel that I got them from. Shultz Von Patchwork and Freja Vom patchwork. I did at one time have a Schnauzer named Duncan of Wally-Wally World. I was into Highlander at the time and I lived in Walla-Walla Washington then.
  • artist1... Doreen 2009/09/30 09:38:18
    +1
    Duncan of Wally-Wally World-Good one.
  • ««Gingey, the Master Debate... 2009/09/30 04:26:04
    ««Gingey, the Master Debater of Þ|-|Дэ†»»
    +4
    My dog is a pure bred boxer, but we got her from a boxer rescue, so she isn't registered. She's 14 and we love her <3
  • artist1... ««Ginge... 2009/09/30 04:40:05 (edited)
    +2
    Boxers are pretty cool and a good family dog from what I've read about them.
    Edit: Typo
  • ««Ginge... artist1... 2009/09/30 04:42:32
    +2
    They really are! And their life expectancy is only about 10, so she is really old for her breed!
  • artist1... ««Ginge... 2009/09/30 09:48:17
    +1
    I know there are quite a few breeds out there that are susceptible to certain disorders such as "bloat", cancers, eye problems-I.E. blindness, seizures and fatal GI problems or by virtue of their size-(The Great Dane), do not live very long. If a person can get a Dane to live longer then 8 years, they're doing well since the average is 6-8 years.
    Dachshunds, of course, with their long backs and short legs are prone to spinal problems and degenerative disk disease so it is extremely important not to let them get over-weight which my guy is right now. We've cut down on his food intake and trying very hard to limit treats and table scraps though he "gets lucky" if one of the kids drops something when they're eating.
  • Petrifi... ««Ginge... 2009/09/30 04:50:14
    PetrifiedElephantPoop
    +3
    I always wanted to get a boxer just so I could name it, "Barbara"

boxer barbara
  • ««Ginge... Petrifi... 2009/09/30 06:23:30
    +2
    Hehe cute.
  • Lee The Hybrid Snowflake 2009/09/30 04:11:07
    Lee The Hybrid Snowflake
    +4
    My Rottie passed away 4 years ago! I am still not over it.
    His registered name was Diesel Von Boof because he never laid down he use to just fall to the floor and that was the sound he made, boof!
  • artist1... Lee The... 2009/09/30 04:42:15
    +2
    Ahhhhh....bummer. Cute name though. I don't even want to think of what a wreck I'll be when my guy's "time comes".

2014/08/01 11:59:33