Are Your "Comfortable" Spring Shoes Causing Foot Pain? from RealAge

Sean 2012/05/14 14:21:37
Flip Flops  Real Age
Flip Flops

Are Your "Comfortable" Spring Shoes Causing Foot Pain?
By RealAge

Spring is here, and so are chic ballet flats, flip-flops, and sky-high platform sandals. They're trendy, seemingly comfortable shoes, but are they good for your feet?

Not so much, says Dawn Olsen Figlo, a certified foot surgeon in New York City. Even though many women think flats are better than high heels to prevent foot pain, "ballet slippers are the worst shoe anyone can wear," she says. "There's no support whatsoever and the ankle can turn in too much or turn out."

Does that rule out flip-flops, too? "It's not great to be in a super-flat shoe," Dr. Figlo says. "It overstretches the plantar fascia -- the tissue that covers the bottom of the foot -- and can cause plantar fasciitis, which is an inflammation of that tissue." In terms of flip-flops, "the cheap ones with a flimsy strap and no support throw your body off [balance]," she says. With low-quality flip-flops your toes need to grip the shoe in order to keep it on, which can cause foot strain.

Figlo's recommendation for footwear that won't hurt your feet is anything with a heel no higher than 2 inches. "If you must wear heels, alternate them each day with a lower shoe with a little arch that provides support," Figlo says.

Trendy shoes that Figlo does like? Platform shoes. "You do lose some stability, but as far as the foot biomechanics go, they're not so bad because the front of the foot is lifted as well." Shoes on her forever thumbs-down list include pointy-toed shoes. Whether they're high-heeled or low, pointy-toed shoes cause toes to curl in, which leads to painful (and unattractive) bunions and hammertoes.

Sore Feet Causing Back Pain?

Spray your shoes daily with antifungal spray. "There's a high incidence of athlete's foot infections in the summer since you're sweating in your shoes and not wearing socks," Figlo says. "Fungus thrives in dark, moist environments." For the pedicure-obsessed, "don't fool with the cuticle," Figlo says. "It's the seal that protects the toes from fungus and bacteria. If you break that seal, you expose your feet to toenail fungusand other problems."

Read More: http://www.realage.com/chronic-pain-management/fli...

• beach bum 2012/05/19 03:51:57
  • ~unloved~(❤coco❤) 2012/05/15 15:48:43
    ~unloved~(❤coco❤)
    +1
    i learn something new everyday on sodahead
  • strawberry 2012/05/15 07:49:48
    strawberry
    +1
    My feet swell a lot. When this happens no shoes are comfortable.
  • disclaimer 2012/05/15 05:45:41
    disclaimer
    +1
    Eh, I always wear flats no matter what. I'd rather go barefoot, but unfortunately I can't.
  • 001 2012/05/14 20:08:02
    001
    +1
    I think variation is the way to go. I have three different types of shoes for the spring and summer.
  • Maleficent 2012/05/14 19:37:46
    Maleficent
    +1
    yeah my sister was talking to me about this the other day.
  • Cookielane 2012/05/14 17:51:59
    Cookielane
    +1
    I never wear flip-flops! Sensible shoes for this fat old lady!
    husg puppies
  • bblair125 2012/05/14 14:48:50
    bblair125
    +1
    Oh my goodness! I don't wear those flats or the flip flops. Flats look awful on me.
    And I can't stand anything between my toes! I'm am gonna wear the same spring/summer shoes I wore last year, and I think I will be just fine...

2014/10/30 12:17:08