Are you satisfied with your present health care plan?

mk, Smartass Oracle 2009/08/16 19:46:05
Hell no

• Sal the tactless wonder 2009/08/17 05:21:30
    Hell no
    Sal the tactless wonder
    +21
    I am a small business owner, and my cost per employee are 4.4 times more than a larger employer. Not cool, were is the help for small business? It's in the reform bill, my hope is in the health insurance exchange. I don't care if there is a Co-op or a public option, it if drives down the cost and more people get on and we all get a better rate that is the deal for small business!

• Lynn greg 2009/08/20 00:09:12
    Lynn
    +2
    An excellent plan, paid for by ones' employer at no additional cost to you.... Other third party plans always available if you choose to foot the bill.... Why do you need a government funded additional options?
  • greg Lynn 2009/08/24 16:20:37
    greg
    +1
    I like options -- I am not afraid of looking at a government option.
  • Lynn greg 2009/08/24 19:01:04
    Lynn
    +1
    You may not be afraid of looking at a government option, its not worth bankrupting America just so you can have more choices that you need.
  • JLevin83 sponged... 2009/08/19 17:15:00
    JLevin83
    +4
    Suppose you got laid off. Your employer would stop paying. Then you're screwed. What do you do then?
  • Lynn JLevin83 2009/08/20 00:06:45
    Lynn
    +3
    You get off your ass and go get another job without expecting the government to coddle you....
  • JLevin83 Lynn 2009/11/19 22:05:19
    JLevin83
    +1
    You obviously don't get it. Health care is a HUMAN RIGHT. 16% of people (that's 1 in 6 for the mathematically challenged) who are OUT THERE looking for work can't get it. It's not as simple as "Get off your ass and get a job". I hope you end up on the job market in the next few months to find out exactly what I'm talking about.
  • Lynn JLevin83 2009/11/20 02:54:32
    Lynn
    +1
    I love it when people who are as clueless as you claim that - I - dont get it... Health care is not a human right. Never has been. Its not in the constitution, the bible or even the magna carta. You and Obama just made that up.

As for all those poor people that cant get a job, I have never had a problem getting a job. Just started a great new one last May. I got it by working hard and shining above the rest. My daughter, who I taught well, just got a job in September. Not the greatest job, but at least she is willing to do what she had to do and is now working and getting benefits.

I realize that a lot of people are looking for work, but its always possible to rise to the top and be the one that wins the position. Its the easy and lazy way out to whine about how bad things are and make excuse after excuse for your failure. You can be a winner or a looser. Choice is yours. THAT has always been true.
  • JLevin83 Lynn 2009/11/30 22:32:50
    JLevin83
    +1
    "We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." - THE UNITED STATES DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

Hmmm. "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness..." and they're referred to as "inalienable rights." It's all right there in the Declaration of Independence. Seems like a pretty salient document to me insofar as its place in the history and founding of this country. Obama and I didn't "make this up".

It's right there in black and white. I would say that the right to life extends to health as the two are hopelessly and eternally connected. Wouldn't you agree? How then, Lynn, can you actually sit there and say that health isn't a right?
  • Lynn JLevin83 2009/12/01 19:53:57
    Lynn
    +1
    No. Its not. You have willfully misinterperted the intent of the founders.

The right to LIFE refers to the idea that the king cannot kill you just because you are inconvenient to him.

The right to LIBERTY refers to the idea that you are free to live that life as you chose, so long as you do not deny same rights to others.

The right to the PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS... thats one liberals always get wrapped around. Its not the right to BE happy, but the right to PURSUE happiness, which refers to your freedom to pursue that which enriches your life.

The false idea that the constitution garauntees you all life, health and success in life is a liberal falicy. No governemnt can, nor should be involved in the attempt to garauntee you never have strife, failure or unhappiness, just that they get the hell out of your way so that you can achieve those things on your own.
  • Decipher 2009/08/19 09:31:49
    Decipher
    +2
    I say this reluctantly. Its a great healthcare plan, but its expensive as hell!
  • Bill 2009/08/19 08:59:16
    Hell no
    Bill
    +4
    Americans are being taken for a ride to benefit the health insurance and pharmaceutical corporations and corrupt medical groups that have given us the most expensive health care system, leaving about 50 million Americans not covered, Our system ranks 37th in the world. Our infant mortality rate is the highest among developed nations. Worst still, we live at a shorter age on average, compared to 49 countries. Disgraceful! Those involved in manufacturing our health care system squeezes out money from the insurers so that they can hire lobbyists to bribe our Congress. A bunch of legalized highway robbers giving Americans a disgraceful health care system. They need to be checked, and that's why I'm demanding for either a Public Option or a Single Pay System. We can't continue to be idiots in their robbery schemes.
  • Bond Ja... Bill 2009/08/20 02:17:55
    Bond James Bond
    +1
    Did not Obama just give the pharms. a big chunk of money for......?
  • Bye! 2009/08/19 08:12:38
    Bye!
    +2
    I guess. It beats having none at all.
  • Jonas190 2009/08/19 07:29:04
    Hell no
    Jonas190
    +3
    While I am grateful to have it since most of the country does not, I am not happy that I am paying triple this year than I did last year for much less coverage. They also denied paying a large portion of the medical bill that my plan covers when I had to have my appendix removed a couple years ago. When I inquired as to why they were refusing to cover what was in my plan they claimed "It's not covered in your plan." so when I read them the paragraph out of the book they sent me describing the plan that specifically said they covered what they were denying they tell me "Your maximum yearly coverage has been fulfilled."

So while I am grateful that they did cover 18k of the appendectomy, I wish that the other 5k that my insurance plan specifically said it covered was actually covered. So yeah, I went into a little debt because I was denied the benefits I pay for. Gotta love the health care system here...
  • Lynn Jonas190 2009/08/20 00:16:57
    Lynn
    +2
    USA Population 304 million
    Uninsured (By Obama's inflated guestimates, which includes illegal imigrants and those that willingly opt for no coverage) 46 million.
    Simple math says only 15% have no coverge.

Last time I checked, 15% does not qualify as "most of the country"

Glad you are recoverd from your apendectomy.
  • Danale 2009/08/19 07:19:46
    Danale
    +4
    Look it's not the best but I'm not trusting the gov't to find me something better...
  • Dianne Danale 2009/08/19 21:13:58
    Dianne
    +2
    The government doesn't want to find you something better. They only want to make you an offer you CAN refuse.
  • Bond Ja... Danale 2009/08/20 02:21:35
    Bond James Bond
    +1
    Smart move.
  • J 2009/08/19 06:33:05
    Hell no
    J
    +3
    No! It's expensive and doesn't do anything. I have to wait between 6 and 8 weeks to see a doctor and then they don't help.
  • Psykhê 2009/08/19 06:28:30
    Psykhê
    +4
    I am Canadian and very happy with our healthcare system despite what are ultimately "minor" issues that we experience here. I have never had an issue where healthcare is concerned. I can confidently say that the vast majority of Canadians wouldn't give up our healthcare for the world.
  • Jonas190 Psykhê 2009/08/19 07:34:17
    Jonas190
    +4
    I have quite a few Canadian friends who say they would never give it up. They also like to tell me about how many lies are being spread here in the States about the Canadian heath care system. What I find funny is that the people who believe those lies never bother to do any research to find out what the truth actually is... but that is a story for another day.
  • Psykhê Jonas190 2009/08/19 07:42:36
    Psykhê
    +3
    It's infuriating, Jonas. I'm Canadian! I'm not supposed to get mad! lol

There is a small group of us here on SH. I have not come across one...not one who does not support our healthcare system (which is not to say they don't exist) nor do I know anyone personally that would give it up.

The information that is being passed around is at best a horrible manipulation of the truth.
  • Jonas190 Psykhê 2009/08/19 07:54:08
    Jonas190
    +4
    One of the largest problems is too many people here in the States have grown ignorant and lazy. Instead of doing research on a subject, they tend to just listen to what the next guy says and take it as truth even when it is as ludicrous as Sarah Palin's "Death Panel" lies because to just listen to the next guy is easier than actually finding the truthful information. If people would take 10 minutes to research something (more time in the case of this health care issue) they may find that those who claim to have their best interests in hand are really just a bunch of liars.
  • Psykhê Jonas190 2009/08/19 08:07:17
    Psykhê
    +3
    Absolutely. I can't really fault them for their "ignorance" (and I mean that in the kindest possible way). The availability of this so-called "information" is being perpetually fed to them in massive doses through the media, the internet and word of mouth due to the enormity of the issue.

Thank you, Jonas. Really. It's always such a relief to know that the truth is still out there. :) Much appreciated!!
  • Jonas190 Psykhê 2009/08/19 08:16:52
    Jonas190
    +2
    Your welcome :D
  • words t... Psykhê 2009/08/19 19:34:35
    words to live by
    +2
    I have friends in Canada who say differently.
  • Psykhê words t... 2009/08/19 19:42:23 (edited)
    Psykhê
    +1
    Maybe so. Again, I did say the "vast majority". In fact, depending on the source, somewhere between 70-90%. I don't and never have claimed that our system is perfect. I too see a need for reform in some areas. That said, I still would not give it up.

Edited because I now see that I didn't complete my thought lol
  • words t... Psykhê 2009/08/19 22:34:16 (edited)
    words to live by
    +1
    Why are you touting Candian health care anyway? You don't live in America. If you like your health care fine, just stay out of our agendas. I don't live in Canada and you don't live in America!
  • Psykhê words t... 2009/08/20 00:10:23 (edited)
    Psykhê
    +1
    My goodness, you're a friendly one.

The question was, "Are you satisfied with your healthcare". I responded. Jonas was kind enough to engage me in conversation. I responded.
    You challenged my post and I simply... you guessed it, I responded. (Edit: In fact, I even gave you one of those raves because I respect your right to voice your opinion).

If you have an issue with my response...well, that unfortunately is something you'll have to work out on your own. "Touting"? Who's touting? I answered the question. Period.
  • Dianne Psykhê 2009/08/19 21:16:03
    Dianne
    +2
    Thanks so much for this post. I have lots of Canadian friends and I have never heard them complain about their health care. Too bad people don't check out this propaganda before they buy into it. Thanks again.
  • Psykhê Dianne 2009/08/19 21:21:28
    Psykhê
    +1
    No, Dianne. Thank you for your comment and being one of the (hopefully) many who are open to the idea that the availability of information does not equate to truthful information. :)
  • Dianne Psykhê 2009/08/19 21:24:37
    Dianne
    +2
    So true!
  • Lynn Psykhê 2009/08/20 00:30:16
    Lynn
    +2
    Where the rubber meets the road, the real issue that drives most of the opposition to taxpayer funded universal health care in the US isnt health care. Its control.
    Perhaps the anecdotes we hear about the failings of your system may be exagerated or cherry picked... But your government may not have the proven nasty track record of personal intrusion, beauracratic inneficiency, gross impersonalization, wasteful spending, incompetant gross underestimation of costs and repeated attempts at societal control that ours does.
    In the end, most of us agree that it would be a grand thing if no one ever had to worry about financial disaster brought on by massive healthcare bills, but handing over that much power, money and control to our own little Washington DC is like trying to kill a pesky fly by putting a bullet into your own head.
  • Psykhê Lynn 2009/08/20 00:46:29
    Psykhê
    +2
    Lynn, thank you so much for such a well thought out and rational response. I understand the issues you as a nation face in approaching this healthcare reform.

As a Canadian, I am well aware that I am neither qualified or have any right to impart my opinion on a decision that lies in the hands of the US citizens. I respect that and do not allow myself to comment or vote on any polls that should be inclusive to those who have an actual say in the matter.

That said, when it becomes a matter of "opinion", as was the case in this poll, I answer freely. If I am to be completely candid, I have seen ridiculous amounts of misinformation, blatant lies and manipulations of the media being posted endlessly as truth regarding our healthcare system...and quite honestly? It's getting old lol.

I have no intention of trying to sell universal healthcare to everyone (or anyone for that matter). I wouldn't think of it. It is not my place. I do have every intention of protecting and defending the healthcare system that we as Canadians are fortunate enough to have.
  • cuz 2009/08/19 06:10:16
    cuz
    +5
    I have no insurance. In this last year I have paid out over $3000 in dental bills and I would rather keep it that way than have government mandated insurance.
  • Jonas190 cuz 2009/08/19 07:31:40
    Jonas190
    +3
    It would not be mandated, you would still have the option to accept it or have your own private coverage as many of us do now. However, if the plan were in effect and you had no private coverage, you would not be put into debt over a health issue.
  • cuz Jonas190 2009/08/19 12:54:47
    cuz
    +3
    If someone else is forced to pay for my medical bills it is mandated for someone. That money has to come from somewhere.
  • greg cuz 2009/08/19 15:32:24
    greg
    +2
    there is a difference between mandated and offering a public option -- I do not agree with mandated; although who pays if you get sick rake up a 100,000 bill and then kick the bucket...someone eats the cost (e.g. your family, the hospital, the government...)
  • Jonas190 cuz 2009/08/19 19:44:59
    Jonas190
    +3
    You pay into Medicare and Medicaid and that is mandated for somebody else. Why don't we end those programs and just let the old people die becuase they can't afford health care, that is the exact same reasoning you are using to be against an actual health care plan, which would benefit everybody. Its funny that out of all the developed nations in the world, we are the most powerful and influential nation on the planet yet our people are denied the right to life when they can't afford a life saving procedure. We are 36 on the list of developed nations with health care yet we have access to the best health care on the planet. IT is absolutely disgusting that we do not already provide health care to our people like every other powerful nation on the planet. Our Health Care system is likened to that of a 3rd world country by the rest of the developed nations becuase of people like you who say "My taxed shouldn't pay for blah blah blah" when taxes are there to provide for the people of the nation! Our founding fathers would be disgusted by this backwards thinking. I pray that you do not end up without health care and unable to pay for a procedure that would save your life. Nobody should ever die because they can't afford a procedure when it can be prevented by using our tax...
    You pay into Medicare and Medicaid and that is mandated for somebody else. Why don't we end those programs and just let the old people die becuase they can't afford health care, that is the exact same reasoning you are using to be against an actual health care plan, which would benefit everybody. Its funny that out of all the developed nations in the world, we are the most powerful and influential nation on the planet yet our people are denied the right to life when they can't afford a life saving procedure. We are 36 on the list of developed nations with health care yet we have access to the best health care on the planet. IT is absolutely disgusting that we do not already provide health care to our people like every other powerful nation on the planet. Our Health Care system is likened to that of a 3rd world country by the rest of the developed nations becuase of people like you who say "My taxed shouldn't pay for blah blah blah" when taxes are there to provide for the people of the nation! Our founding fathers would be disgusted by this backwards thinking. I pray that you do not end up without health care and unable to pay for a procedure that would save your life. Nobody should ever die because they can't afford a procedure when it can be prevented by using our taxes to pay for a program that would benefit the nation... God forbid that our nation becomes more than the fat lazy couch potatoes we are now, especially if that means our taxes be used for what they are meant for.
  • cuz Jonas190 2009/08/19 20:32:54
    cuz
    +1
    No, I think our founding fathers would have been disgusted with your type of thinking. If we would get rid of the illegal Federal Reserve people would not be taxed like they are now and would be able to save and help each other out. Show me a provision in the Constitution that covers health care. You can't because it is not in there.

http://www.juntosociety.com/p...

2014/09/16 23:36:52