Are You Perpetuating Gender Stereotypes by Throwing Your Daughter a Princess Party?

Catch My Party 2012/07/11 17:00:00
It is perpetuating a stereotype, but I don’t think it's a big deal.
Yes, it teaches our daughters the goal in life is to be rescued by Prince Charming!
No, you can’t fight the Princess. It’s genetic!
My daughter is a true “girly girl” and has fallen in love with all things princess. I try to include empowering ideas and images into her princess play so it doesn’t bother me that she dresses up in ball gowns and tiaras all day long. If you like pretty princess things, too, you must take a look at these beautiful princess parties on our site.

Read More: http://catchmyparty.com/

• JDreDaCookieMonster 2012/07/11 18:34:32
    JDreDaCookieMonster
    +9
    I think that if you let a little girl chose between a princess party or any other theme that is not feminine, she will most likely pick the princess party

• ☆ElenaDiamond☆ 2012/07/12 03:57:49
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +5
    Why would you fight it. Little girls love being princesses. Nothing wrong with that. My daughter is princess crazed. litte girl princess
  • Soundstorm ☆ElenaD... 2012/07/12 08:40:30
    Soundstorm
    Ugh! Too many pastel colors! Going blind! It's all too cute! Toooo cuuuute......
  • Gracie - Proud Conservative 2012/07/12 03:54:48
    Gracie - Proud Conservative
    +8
    We really need to stop all this psychobabble and just raise our kids. If a girl likes princesses, let her be a princess! Stereotypes are in the minds of the meddlers!
  • ☆ElenaD... Gracie ... 2012/07/12 03:58:38
    ☆ElenaDiamond☆
    +2
    Great comment.
  • joan.sloane 2012/07/12 03:42:45
    joan.sloane
    +1
    I never had a daughter nor do I even know exactly what a princess party is like. It sounds a lot like gender stereotyping which is okay as a passing phase. Most importantly, I imagine it is a womderful time of bonding and great fun for mother and child. I say enjoy every moment you can have with your children. Childhood is such a precious time that slips away far too quickly
  • Jay Calderone 2012/07/12 03:38:28
    Jay Calderone
    +1
    It's only a problem if they want a different party theme.
  • Katherine 2012/07/12 03:31:25
    Katherine
    +4
    Can we just not bother kids with political agendas?
  • Vision of Verve 2012/07/12 03:10:48
  • Lizzie Bee *In My Sisters I... 2012/07/12 03:02:44
    Lizzie Bee *In My Sisters I Trust*
    +1
    I love the princess thing!!! When i become a mom i wont force it, but i wont not let her dress up either! Its just a faze, just let them dream about prince charming for a little while! Making her go into the cold cruel world too early would just break my heart
  • Karasu the Neko Vampire 2012/07/12 03:02:30
    Karasu the Neko Vampire
    +1
    If a girl wants a princess party, it was her choice. It doesnt really mean she will growing up acting like everyone and everything is hers
  • Angela Chambers 2012/07/12 02:59:50
    Angela Chambers
  • Soundstorm Angela ... 2012/07/12 08:46:54
    Soundstorm
    Go figure!

And Mary Ann
  • cupcakes 2012/07/12 02:51:18
    cupcakes
    +1
    poeople over react
  • La 2012/07/12 02:41:45
    La
    +3
    Um, who cares? If my daughter is a girly girl and would like it, sure I would throw her a princess themed party. Nothing wrong with being a girly girl.
  • vaderpriest 2012/07/12 02:37:46
    vaderpriest
    +3
    It is a genetic hard wiring mainly, but it is also the social cognitive of the times that may eventually determine the so called norm.
  • Sue 2012/07/12 02:30:21
    Yes, it teaches our daughters the goal in life is to be rescued by Prince Cha...
    Sue
    +2
    Really don't like any of the choices. What is wrong with a little girl who likes to dress up as a princess? I think the adults are the ones who make a big deal out of it.
  • C4TSMILEY 2012/07/12 02:26:53
    C4TSMILEY
    Unless, of course, you teach them to be independent later in life.
  • bashfulsleepy 2012/07/12 01:57:21
    bashfulsleepy
    +1
    I feel this way, some girls like princesses. Some girls like baseball. Some boys like dolls. Let them be and play with what they want. Don't stigmatize anything a child is interested in. It's only when you do that it becomes a stereotype.
  • Black-Indian Girl 2012/07/12 01:48:25
    Black-Indian Girl
    +1
    So? As long as the girl's happy, why should it matter? On another note, some girls may have both tomboy and feminine traits in their personality. I love Pocahontas and Ariel, but I also love Spiderman and Superman.
  • ZB 2012/07/12 01:48:10
    ZB
    +1
    An "Other" option would be nice. My daughter loves the whole princess thing, so, No, i don't think it perpetuates a stereotype. It's simply giving her what she wants on her birthday. If it makes her happy, I'm cool with it.
  • NYCbrit ZB 2012/07/12 02:04:50
    NYCbrit
    Was hoping for an "other" as well. I don't think it's perpetuating a stereotype if that's what she likes.
  • ZB NYCbrit 2012/07/12 17:08:14
    ZB
    Problem is people want to label everything and everyone so that they have something to bitch about. Labels are pointless and stereotyping is ignorant, IMO.
  • Louisa - Enemy of the State 2012/07/12 01:40:07
    Louisa - Enemy of the State
    I would surely throw my sons or daughters a party appropriate to their likes. Who in their right mind would throw a party that ridicules their kid! It isn't like you don't know what is of interest to your child. This is just more liberal screwing over.
  • Ozymandias 2012/07/12 01:36:33
  • Roger 2012/07/12 01:31:13 (edited)
    Roger
    +2
    If your son wants a princess party there is something wrong...
  • jade 2012/07/12 01:22:49
    jade
    +1
    If she wants a princess party let her have a princess party
  • Wanda Hardwick 2012/07/12 01:17:53
    Wanda Hardwick
    +1
    I don't really think so. My kids were gender specific from birth it seems. My grandson was always a "boy", and always picked boy toys without being intentionally influenced.
  • Efram Paul 2012/07/12 01:14:42
    Efram Paul
    I do not see a problem with it at all. Just because some women feel the need to be pseudo-men, does not mean it is mandatory for all women.
  • Kevin1111 2012/07/12 01:14:37
    Kevin1111
    If you think this is a problem then you are a victim of feminist propaganda. This is normal and at worst harmless. Girls should be allowed to be girly and feminine if they want to, this is in no way limiting or degrading.
  • Small man big mouth 2012/07/12 01:13:15
    Small man big mouth
    Yes but so what? That's the point! With the whole gender confusion of this culture the family has been weakened and has had a devastating effect on society. The whole feminist movement is a farce and studies show that women complaints is that they can't find a real man anymore.and its true. Men in their 30s are addicted to video games and are slaves to entertainment with no sense of responsibility. And women are auctioning off their once sacred. Virginity to jerk losers for a pizza or a movie in a vain attempt at filling the void left by pathetic men who bail out on their responsibilities as head of the houshold. Men and women are equal but were created with specific complimentary roles for specific purposes. This is the christian doctrine of creation. Man is the glory of God, and women is the glory of man to be honored by man and treated with tenderness and respect like fine chinaso when someone tells you that christianity is oppressive to women believe it not because jesus was a liberator of women (and men) and included many women into his inner circle. So girls be girls, and guys be guys! This is the way it is supposed to be.
  • cnsharp 2012/07/12 01:07:43
    cnsharp
    If my future little girl comes to me saying she wants a princess party then she can have one. However if she comes to me saying she wants a (insert tom boy-ish show/sport) then I am going to give myself a mental high-five and hope she is like her mother and isn't too girly.
  • Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan... 2012/07/12 00:57:00
    Zamboni - Madoka Magica fan BN0
    +1
    Unless, people, when preparing those parties, do as you claim to do: including empowering ideas and images into her princess play. I should have considered that before I voted. But also, they (these parties) should be thrown to the girls that are really into the princess thing (like you daughter). Now, since there are many ways of being feminine, I am not worried for those that perpetuate an princess idea with empowering views and not deny the existence of alternatives. I am worried for those who don't have equilibrium, and teach their girls how to be submissive princesses.

But hey, if everybody does it in an empowering way, I'm cool.
  • Bill Sundling 2012/07/12 00:39:49
    Bill Sundling
    No, that's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard.
  • umapathy Krishnamurthy 2012/07/12 00:30:19
    umapathy Krishnamurthy
    I would like to
  • Lizzeh 2012/07/12 00:28:04
    Lizzeh
    +1
    I'd let her be what she wants to be, let her choose what she likes, and not interfere at all. If she wants to be girly, then she can be girly. If she wants to be a tom boy, then she can be a tom boy. If she wants a sex change, then I'd treat her like a boy until she's old enough to know that's really what she wants.
  • Small m... Lizzeh 2012/07/12 01:21:51
    Small man big mouth
    +1
    You have confused interfering with parental guidance. Why be a parent at all if your going to let your child run rampant and do whatever he\she wants? You would support your chil being mutilated if he\she has been misled and confused by a depraved society? You should try thinking past your immediate emotional response and really apply critical thought if u plan on having kids. Its a major thing and their happiness is NOT the only thing that matters especially if it involves drug abuse, prostitution or mutilation like sex change that makes them "happy".
  • Lizzeh Small m... 2012/07/12 01:38:38
    Lizzeh
    +2
    I'm sorry but in my eyes you are wrong. Happiness is ALL that matters. As long as it's in a healthy way. No drugs or drinking should be involved, or anything along those lines. If you aren't happy, what's the point of living? I support gays, so why wouldn't I support transgenders? Sex changes aren't mutilation. Some people are born in the wrong body. Sex is what's between the legs, but gender is in the mind. That's WHY there is transgenders. I'm not even remotely worried about what society has to say, as long as my kid is happy, I'm happy. Don't even attempt to bring religion in this either because you won't get anywhere with that. I'm guessing all of this is because you're religious. And if not, oh well, I still think you're wrong. :] This is my opinion. I am entitled to my own opinion and I'm here to express it just as you are. But you can express YOUR opinion where is asks you to leave it. :]
  • Noobcake Lizzeh 2012/07/12 04:08:56
    Noobcake
    Kudos for giving such a reasoned and calm response to this jerk. Intolerance like his renders me speechless with anger and frustration. So, well done!
  • Lizzeh Noobcake 2012/07/12 14:13:29
    Lizzeh
    +1
    Thank you. (:
  • John Duffee 2012/07/12 00:26:30
    John Duffee
    If that's it, who gives a flying fig.

2014/09/18 11:41:33